You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #147 - Mikoyan

42 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
33,608 posts
28,423 battles

The Death Bote rides!  +!

What's the best thing about Mikoyan?  The relief you feel when any and all missions related to her are finally done, and you can stop playing her.  She makes Emerald and Omaha look tanky a.f.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,753 posts
19,790 battles

Thank you so much Mouse!

The Detour GIF

[KWF]
Members
6,764 posts
7,444 battles

Thanks for the review Mouse, +1! 

I think at that point you should make room between a "gudbote" and "mehbote" ranking for a new one, the "rewardbote".

At that point ships like Siroco, Genova and Mikoyan have gained more value as shortcuts to events than  having actual value as ships. Mikoyan's value is helping you recoup it's cost and give you 420 tokens.

By the way, Italian SAP is disgustingly effective on this ship it's not even fun.

Last, could it be possible for some of the small boxes of direct ship comparisons to make a return? They were a nice quick and dirty indicator of gauging ship performance.

[ARGSY]
Members
26,906 posts
21,640 battles
36 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

She makes Emerald and Omaha look tanky a.f.

I think I've used the words "She makes Omaha look like a tough brawler" in chat when someone asked me about this ship.

Also, I don't know about the official numbers, but I've managed to cit TWO bot Mikoyans in the face at short range. Needless to say, the same has happened to me a fair bit.

Mouse is absolutely right about Mikoyan's vulnerability. If you want a quick trip back to port, go brawling in this ship. 

16 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

At that point ships like Siroco, Genova and Mikoyan have gained more value as shortcuts to events than  having actual value as ships.

I have taken Genova into co-op and wrecked face with her. 8" SAP is no joke, and multiple torpedo launchers per side make for interesting times. That ship is fun if you like to play on the razor's edge. Mikoyan is not, and with Kirov moving to premium status, I don't know what purpose she serves. It's little wonder they are only selling her in a bundle with the P.Bag and the Baby Smolensk. She will probably become a coal ship or a discount premium that makes the Huang He look pricey.

• Funny 1

[ARC]
Members
1,084 posts
12,254 battles

Well, as expected. The ship makes the definition "paper armor" go to another level. When no one thought something could have worse armor than Emerald...

I think Mouse did not separate the performance between Random and Coop, but it can be inferred: in Randoms, a Nagato can shave off 60% of your HP with one citadel hit from 18 km out in the first 3 min of a match. In Coop, the ship should run away from the joustings done by bots, or die the honorable death by brawling against an Aigle and Emerald (both can citadel you effortlessly while shooting your 3 turrets). 

The soviet stock of premium cruisers is absurdly huge in tier 5, with 4(!) options as the coming patch: Murmansk, Krasny Krym, Mikoyan and the upcoming Kirov. So the need to get this ship is questionable, to say the least. At least you get Soviet Tokens by playing this unholy thing :fish_palm:. Even in general, the soviet cruiser line is overcrowded with premium ships (tier 8 with Kutuzov, Ochakov and Bagration; and tier 10 with Stalingrad, Smolensk and Moskva; and every tier between those has at least 1 premium ship).

On another question related to those, @LittleWhiteMouse, any word said about the conditions for getting Moskva and Kirov? Would it be advisable to sell the ships before the upcoming update, as you would get the Premium version anyways? For some reason, the article is not clear in that sense (and I think it is on purpose).

Edited by hanesco

[MAUS]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,972 posts
11,800 battles
5 minutes ago, hanesco said:

On another question related to those, @LittleWhiteMouse, any word said about the conditions for getting Moskva and Kirov? Would it be advisable to sell the ships before the upcoming update, as you would get the Premium version anyways? For some reason, the article is not clear in that sense (and I think it is on purpose). 

I haven't heard anything new.  I'm keeping both of those ships fully researched and in my port until something changes.  I would advise others to do the same.

• Cool 3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
7,158 posts
7,481 battles

I've been using my Dmitri Donskoi captain, who has IFHE, while doing the Mikoyan tasks in co-op.  Mikoyan with IFHE can citadel other Mikoyans using HE.

13 minutes ago, hanesco said:

Anybody who has researched those ships will receive them as a premium (Kirov) and special (Moskva) ship.  If you have them you can sell them to get the credits and you will receive them again when the patch hits.  Not sure that is worth it unless you spend doubloons to dismount the upgrades, and I am not sure that is worth the doubloons.

[UEFN]
Members
1,362 posts
27,879 battles

Thanks for the review, basically this is a trash bote only worth to sit in the port to collect dust, better off spending the tokens on signals and camos.  This is like the long lost cousin of krispy kreme.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,622 posts

Hmm...and here I was thinking they were giving us a research tier ship...

I am so uninterested in Russian cruisers

[WOLF5]
Members
33,608 posts
28,423 battles
6 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Hmm...and here I was thinking they were giving us a research tier ship...

I am so uninterested in Russian cruisers

"B-B-But!  RUSSIAN BIAS!" - Players in NA

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
3,960 posts
4,243 battles

I'm just here for the Ren and Stimpy gif... :Smile_veryhappy: 

No really, I tried a couple of games in her...She is life support for a citadel. I had a Warspite double cit me...with HE. I asked him after I died, so now I know so you don't have to. :Smile_hiding: 

Second Line? No. More like third line...is there a 4th line? :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFC]
Members
2,622 posts
14 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"B-B-But!  RUSSIAN BIAS!" - Players in NA

:Smile_teethhappy:

One day I hope to have enough Steel to buy the Stalingrad - now there is a Russian bias boat.

But not going to trade my Wolf clan orneriness & solitude for the sake of one ship...:Smile_trollface:

• Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Members
122 posts

I got citadeled today in the mikoyan when the rain turned to hail = plunging right thru the deck....

Playing this ship is like sitting in a room full of gasoline while carrying a lit blowtorch

• Funny 1

Members
1,077 posts
6,622 battles

Great review! I got my hands on the Tallinn and Riga and I now see what they’re going for. I hate Mikoyan at first but after I got comfortable. At close or mid range against other cruisers it’s a cit monster. They all are really. I still do struggle with Mikoyan sluggishness. The guns seem to favor range but the body seems to favor sleeping(which I can appreciate). 

Tallinn also gets the 180s but more and then riga gets 220s and the AP THUMPS.

[SIM]
Members
6,132 posts
10,151 battles

Great review, thanks a bunch Mouse. The actual LOL moments in the commentary were also appreciated.

[RLGN]
Members
17,285 posts
30,953 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

What's the best thing about Mikoyan?  The relief you feel when any and all missions related to her are finally done, and you can stop playing her.  She makes Emerald and Omaha look tanky a.f.

lol

That’s saying something. Especially since I like Emerald.

Maybe I’ll just keep the tokens and spend them on camo like I did with the IKEA flat packs; play my MiG-15 for 5 PvP and 5 PvE when it magically appears in my port, then forget it exists.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,653 posts
17,464 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This... I’ll be glad when I don’t need to play it again until Christmas comes. I’ve not had a more miserable experience in a cruiser.

[RADAR]
Members
14 posts
15,582 battles

Great review and motivation to finish the tokens so I can get the damn thing now so I don't cry in December getting it in a Christmas box.

P.S. Could you please link these reviews on your Patreon? The last one on Patreon is Orkan.

[MAUS]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,972 posts
11,800 battles
1 hour ago, durconnell said:

P.S. Could you please link these reviews on your Patreon? The last one on Patreon is Orkan.

Yes, I've been having issues getting stuff to upload to Patreon.  I'm crossing my fingers they get back to me tonight so I can get the last few linked there.

• Cool 1