Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Karstodes

Using subs to balance CV.

9 comments in this topic

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,338 battles

Basically, the main issue of subs is the ships that need to hunt them. DD and CL cannot go in open water easily to take care of subs, making the balance tricky to get. But there is one class that can easily go in the open to track them and sink them: CV.

On the other hand, CV have too much impact on DD thanks to the rocket plane and the spotting that they can offers.

Thus I would propose to do 1+ 1: create a fourth squadron (ASW bombers) that will drop dept charges. 1/3 of  the number of attack plane, and maybe 1/4 of the numbers of dive bombers/ torpedo bombers and make sure in the MM that if there is a sub, there will be a cv. Thus the CV can become the main ASW unit of the group and will lose part of his attack capacity on DD (with fewer attack plane, he will struggle to use them as often as now). Give the ASW bomber some kind of surface damage potential (like how they were use at the battle of Samar. I would propose some kind of ''on hit no damage but 60% chances of flood (they couldn't really do structural damage but they could pop open some rivets and provoke some flood in theory).  That way, in no sub battle, the ASW unit will at least be of some use.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,338 battles
1 minute ago, SilverPhatShips said:

Don't forget to give the CV float planes to cap also....

You prefer to let DD handle both the ASW and the capping?

[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
21,751 battles
1 minute ago, Y_Nagato said:

You prefer to let DD handle both the ASW and the capping?

At this point you might as well just let the CV do everything

[WOLFB]
Members
3,188 posts
8,221 battles
27 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Basically, the main issue of subs is the ships that need to hunt them. DD and CL cannot go in open water easily to take care of subs, making the balance tricky to get. But there is one class that can easily go in the open to track them and sink them: CV.

On the other hand, CV have too much impact on DD thanks to the rocket plane and the spotting that they can offers.

Thus I would propose to do 1+ 1: create a fourth squadron (ASW bombers) that will drop dept charges. 1/3 of  the number of attack plane, and maybe 1/4 of the numbers of dive bombers/ torpedo bombers and make sure in the MM that if there is a sub, there will be a cv. Thus the CV can become the main ASW unit of the group and will lose part of his attack capacity on DD (with fewer attack plane, he will struggle to use them as often as now). Give the ASW bomber some kind of surface damage potential (like how they were use at the battle of Samar. I would propose some kind of ''on hit no damage but 60% chances of flood (they couldn't really do structural damage but they could pop open some rivets and provoke some flood in theory).  That way, in no sub battle, the ASW unit will at least be of some use.

I agree the ASW should be something CV's can do. DD's already have a lot of work to do and this is something that makes sense.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,338 battles
6 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

At this point you might as well just let the CV do everything

By removing plane from the other attack groups, they will be able to do ASW in exchange of more limited anti surface action.

In in theory, every ships should be able to sink or damage any ships. Subs are somewhat immune to CA, BB and CV now.

[-N-]
Members
308 posts
18,174 battles

Not a bad idea. 
To build upon it: now might actually be a good idea for WG to bring back the idea of alt-line CVs that they suggested a while back. With depth charges instead of bombs.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,338 battles
47 minutes ago, Nine_Lives_ said:

Not a bad idea. 
To build upon it: now might actually be a good idea for WG to bring back the idea of alt-line CVs that they suggested a while back. With depth charges instead of bombs.

Well, the issue with that is how do you include in random? protected mm where they will only face Subs?

They could have some utility CV that drops smokes or flare to support the team with more limited strike team and, maybe, a larger ASW squadron. But I do not think that replace the main damage of the IJN CV with ASW would work that well.

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles

Trying to balance subs with CVs is silly.

At least when Monty Python balanced a Witch with a Duck, there was some logical thinking supplied (TY Sir Bedevere).

PS - She turned me into a Newt, but I got better.

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this