You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Arkanstone

is WGC finally unavoidable?

106 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
473 battles

I've been stubbornly resisting the new WGC and using the old launcher, but this morning when I try to play the old launcher just says "Wargaming.net Game Center should be installed to play World of Warships" and there's just a giant orange "Install" button, no news links, no option to play...

So I tried launching the game directly from the exe file - seemed like it was working at first, the loading screen came up... but when I tried to log in it says I have the wrong password - I triple checked, typing very slowly & deliberately so I know I didn't actually have the wrong password, I'm assuming its more of a glitch since I'm not launching the game from the stupid WGC...

Anyone else having this trouble?

• Funny 1

[KWF]
Members
6,397 posts
7,154 battles

Can only  find a workaround via Steam to use your Wargaming account, been using it for a while and works decently.

[WORX]
Members
13,308 posts
20,163 battles

Its not a bug or glitch... WGC is now the only way to log in to WOWS.

Its for the best...

• Boring 1

[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,357 posts
4,761 battles

Just use the WGC, I don't understand everyone's resistance to it.

~Hunter

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Members
11 posts
473 battles
9 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Its not a bug or glitch... WGC is now the only way to log in to WOWS.

Its for the best...

2 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Just use the WGC, I don't understand everyone's resistance to it.

~Hunter

From what I understand, it runs constantly in the background - I don't like craprunning in the background on my pc.  Same reason I close all the apps I'm not using on my phone, I don't care if they load a half-second slower.  I'm in graphic design and some of the programs I use eat up a TON of my memory, so the less garbage I have running in the background that I'm not even actively using the better.

Besides, I only play WOWs, no tanks or planes, so what the hell's the point of the WGC for me?

But if it's finally unavoidable I guess I don't have much choice.

• Cool 2

[ARP]
[ARP]
4,357 posts
4,761 battles
1 minute ago, Arkanstone said:

From what I understand, it runs constantly in the background - I don't like craprunning in the background on my pc.  Same reason I close all the apps I'm not using on my phone, I don't care if they load a half-second slower.  I'm in graphic design and some of the programs I use eat up a TON of my memory, so the less garbage I have running in the background that I'm not even actively using the better.

Besides, I only play WOWs, no tanks or planes, so what the hell's the point of the WGC for me?

But if it's finally unavoidable I guess I don't have much choice.

I've never had an issue with it running in the background taking up a dustmite's worth of resources on my PC. I'm a CAD trainee so my PC's not going to feel the WGC at all. Been using it since it was in testing so I guess that's just me, but I like having a convenient everything is here portal instead.

~Hunter

• Boring 1

Members
11 posts
473 battles
Just now, Hunter_Steel said:

I've never had an issue with it running in the background taking up a dustmite's worth of resources on my PC. I'm a CAD trainee so my PC's not going to feel the WGC at all. Been using it since it was in testing so I guess that's just me, but I like having a convenient everything is here portal instead.

~Hunter

Any chance you remember a ballpark estimate of how much? I mean if it truly is negligible I guess it's not a big deal...

Doesn't help that my PC, though pretty high-end when new, is starting to get a bit long in the tooth, so I do tend to scrutinize any memory sinks

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
23,128 battles
48 minutes ago, Arkanstone said:

I've been stubbornly resisting the new WGC and using the old launcher, but this morning when I try to play the old launcher just says "Wargaming.net Game Center should be installed to play World of Warships" and there's just a giant orange "Install" button, no news links, no option to play...

So I tried launching the game directly from the exe file - seemed like it was working at first, the loading screen came up... but when I tried to log in it says I have the wrong password - I triple checked, typing very slowly & deliberately so I know I didn't actually have the wrong password, I'm assuming its more of a glitch since I'm not launching the game from the stupid WGC...

"and a ring to rule them all"

[ARP]
[ARP]
4,357 posts
4,761 battles
1 minute ago, Arkanstone said:

Any chance you remember a ballpark estimate of how much? I mean if it truly is negligible I guess it's not a big deal...

Doesn't help that my PC, though pretty high-end when new, is starting to get a bit long in the tooth, so I do tend to scrutinize any memory sinks

It takes up like 97.7MB of memory just idling in the background while playing WoWS.

~Hunter

[WORX]
Members
13,308 posts
20,163 battles
5 minutes ago, Arkanstone said:

From my POV...

• It manages multiple acct. with no problems..
  • One shop for news
  • DLs are decent
  • The support tools are better in WGC.

Other then letting you in the game... Eventually, you''ll find other use for it...

Members
948 posts
2 minutes ago, Arkanstone said:

SFA it seems. 

image.png.567f3e9e9a4d5253c375c32493b38605.png

Can anyone who has a problem with this app please tell me why?  I genuinely want to know.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,188 posts
8,206 battles

I think some people are upset since it will make running cheats harder. 

And also a lot of people do not like any change. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SVF]
Members
1,867 posts
2,439 battles
1 hour ago, Lonewolfpj said:

It's an invasive piece of bloatware that provides, imo, little to no added functionality over the previous launcher for the majority of the playerbase.  I see no reason to be excited about it and am somewhat irritated about being forced to abandon what was working just fine.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
Members
85 posts
5,978 battles
9 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

And some of us switch accounts after finishing off the daily missions...    The WGC makes you type in the full Email address, instead of editing the old one.

Yeah..  just do it, right?

But if it makes it harder for hacksters...  go for it.

[-A-8-]
Members
572 posts
22,935 battles
48 minutes ago, AVR__Project said:

And some of us switch accounts after finishing off the daily missions...    The WGC makes you type in the full Email address, instead of editing the old one.

Yeah..  just do it, right?

But if it makes it harder for hacksters...  go for it.

The WGC stores log in details for different accounts. I have This, the PTS and an alt account. All I do is click on my name in the top left corner, click the drop arrow by my user name and select which I want. No need to retype anything.

I've used the WGC since it was launched and haven't found any issues with it.

• Cool 2

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,020 posts
7,858 battles

Been running it for 1.5 years.    I've had no issues with it to date.     

Pro's

It updates every WG Client you have installed on your PC..  Automatically, this can be disabled via the UI (I assume some would consider this a pro, but I find annoying at times, but it does pause downloads or installs if you open a client and resumes when you exit)  

It pre-loads patches early,  so day of patch you don't get caught in massive download pajama party. 

One stop shop for premium store and news, outside your browser or game client.  

It manages the various WG accounts I have very well.  Including PTS clients and identities.  

It has a pretty thorough settings UI and allows for significant customization  of downloads, torrents, and  functionality.  

It seems to be updated almost as often as the client is.  It improved a lot during my time on it.     

Cons

It is default set-up at install,  to run at PC start-up ( can be disabled from  start-up in "settings"  and or exited from toolbar by right clicking and "exit" after client is started. this has no effect on client functionality that I am aware of)

While it is running,  it is an active resource... And it runs anytime you start your game client until you stop it.   My Net security has never indicated a problem with it?  What its doing?   Who knows the answer to this?   I make a habit of exiting after I have started client. Though I'm getting more lapse about that.  My gaming PC is strictly that.. I never have anything sensitive there or  web surfing in places I would consider private.  Other than than my game passwords...no others are there.     

IMO,  it is sizably less obtrusive than , my.com launcher, Epic games launcher, or steam... at least in the amount of resources used and level of user customization?    

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
3 hours ago, Arkanstone said:

Did you use the 32 bit or 64 bit EXE to try to directly start the game?  

Members
1,036 posts

i cant log in cant play and i dont understand any of this crap they want me to install ///you will have to install your mess for me wows...IF I WANTED TO PLAY THE OTHER CRAP I WOULD HAVE SIGNED UP FOR IT..I DONT

Edited by arch4random

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,555 battles

I only use the WGC to update the game, otherwise i just activate my 64 bit client directly from the exe file in the game files (i just made a shortcut to it on my desktop). Congrats you now don't have to use it other that patching the game or downloading the test clients. :cap_haloween:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
4 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

I only use the WGC to update the game, otherwise i just activate my 64 bit client directly from the exe file in the game files (i just made a shortcut to it on my desktop). Congrats you now don't have to use it other that patching the game or downloading the test clients. :cap_haloween:

1) that still means that WGC runs and do the things it does every time there's the smallest hotfix

2) there's a claim out there on the RU server, and eventually on the NA server, running the game EXE will just launch WGC for logging in.  

[VOP]
Members
1,022 posts
4 hours ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

SFA it seems. 

image.png.567f3e9e9a4d5253c375c32493b38605.png

Can anyone who has a problem with this app please tell me why?  I genuinely want to know.

The wargame.net error monitor always causes lag, hangs, and crashes on many of our clan mates' pcs.

• Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
602 posts
10,407 battles

FYI-You need to run the game through the WGC now....check out the new post in news and announcements as someone posted a reply to their ticket asking about that issue.

For me the game breaker is their Error monitor program constantly running in the background on my pc. It hard locks my pc after one battle. It is also not needed. I haven't tried to update my game as yet and probably won't. 

I might try the steam workaround if it still works. Otherwise it is starting over from scratch on steam proper.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
12 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

The wargame.net error monitor always causes lag, hangs, and crashes on many of our clan mates' pcs.

7 minutes ago, USMCGal said:

FYI-You need to run the game through the WGC now....check out the new post in news and announcements as someone posted a reply to their ticket asking about that issue.

For me the game breaker is their Error monitor program constantly running in the background on my pc. It hard locks my pc after one battle. It is also not needed. I haven't tried to update my game as yet and probably won't. 

I might try the steam workaround if it still works. Otherwise it is starting over from scratch on steam proper.

I have things set up to block Error Monitor from running or accessing the internet, and always delete the file after every update (along with the WGC files that were being mysteriously installed by updates using the old Launcher, even without WGC installed at all).  

Sadly, it seems that WGC won't even run if it can't launch the Error Monitor, it crashes out immediately. 

[RBMKI]
Members
376 posts
6,252 battles

I have used the WGC for over a year with no problems.

Yes, I was also resistant at first, but then again so were boomers when smartphones first came out (and look how dat turned out).... :cap_popcorn:

• Boring 2