Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_djv4ZCNmZ56F

Deciding between smaland and hayate

18 comments in this topic

Members
648 posts

Hi,

I've just about got 2mil fxp and since i have all the OP tier 9s I want, I'm gonna spend it on one of these DDs. 

I've watched the videos and read the threads, but I'd like to hear from people who have the ships. If you bought Hayate or Smaland, do you like the ship? Is it fun to play?

Thanks in advance.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,030 posts
14,137 battles

Don’t have either, but from clan mates who do and from many replays and videos I’ve seen since they released, Smaland is probably the better ship. 

[-A-8-]
Members
571 posts
22,793 battles

I have both but if I'd only had the free xp for one I think I'd have gone for Smaland. The radar on it gives it enough of a different play style to the tech tree while still incorporating a lot of the good tech tree traits. The Hayate is OK but in trying to make it more of a hybrid boat it just feels average.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,461 posts
10,717 battles
33 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

Hi,

I've just about got 2mil fxp and since i have all the OP tier 9s I want, I'm gonna spend it on one of these DDs. 

I've watched the videos and read the threads, but I'd like to hear from people who have the ships. If you bought Hayate or Smaland, do you like the ship? Is it fun to play?

Thanks in advance.

Neither. Save that free XP for the sub trees when they come out. 

Halland is much better than smaland. Hayate is a lolfail yugumo with a weak gimmick. 

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Smaland if you have to pick one but neither is really worth it. I'd save it for something else or use it on a tech tree, maybe even to reset lines for the RB, before I would get either.

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,999 battles
45 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Neither. Save that free XP for the sub trees when they come out. 

Halland is much better than smaland. Hayate is a lolfail yugumo with a weak gimmick. 

You cannot compare the Halland and the Smaland. Same hull, yes, but very different playstyle. One try to farm BB, the other love to kill loliboats.

Hayate and Smaland are not really worth the freeXP. I have the Smalboat and I enjoy playing her. But then, I have all the techtree fully researched and already back to 1mio freeXP.

[UEFN]
Members
1,354 posts
25,622 battles

Personally i won't even pay 1mil FXP for either one of them, nevermind 2mil.  Save your FXP for something more worthy of the huge price tag in the future, or you can unlock 3 tech tree lines with what you saved.

Members
58 posts
7,566 battles

Hayate, because your torps will wreck anything they touch, and good shell velocity.

Edited by tzerhyn

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

I like Hayate a lot. It is not easy to play, CV's pick on you all the time.

It is just a rewarding experience. You have to work hard to make her sing.

[RBMKI]
Members
376 posts
6,252 battles

I have seen Hayates end up with top billing in the hands of a capable captain. Tech tree Hallands are better than premium Smalands, because of utterly brutal AA with defensive fire going (a CV's worst nightmare, literally) and 15km torps that go almost 100 knots, lol.

Have fun with whatever you decide on..... :cap_haloween:

Edited by MudRaker227

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles

@mrieder79:

What is your level of comfort with higher-tier (i.e. at least Tier 8) Euro destroyers, and what is your level of comfort with IJN destroyers?

If you cannot get enough of high tier Euro DD, and you have a Euro captain with enough skill points to give Smaland everything she needs, you might want to go Smaland. Thing is, there is no other ship quite like her, and she represents a big gamble unless you're familiar with high-tier Euro DD and think you can extrapolate enough that you'd be happy with her.

If IJN destroyers are your love affair, and going without smoke as a design feature rather than as an option gives you pause, Hayate is probably more your speed. Compared to Shima, she loses one launcher to get her 4 second reload speed (that's only 1 second slower than the Akizuki family with higher alpha on the guns), but unlike Shima, you can drop smoke for TRB if you're comfortable with playing Harekaze, Kagero or Yugumo that way against T10 opposition. 12km torps only; you can't slot F3's or 20km teamkillers in. She is not quite as stealthy, however (6.1 km best concealment).

I picked Hayate because my port is awash in a mix of premium and tech-tree IJN destroyers, with a broad range of variously-skilled Japanese captains between 10 and 19 points to put in her and see how their various builds alter her performance. I was good to go for captains the minute she dropped into my port, although IMHO none of them at the moment are quite right and some work is necessary with regard to the ideal captain build for how I choose to use her. Only got her a couple of days ago, but despite the steep price I'm convinced that with a bit of experimental work (which I'm quite happy to put in) she can be exactly what I want her to be.

Conversely, I have no Euro captains above 11 points; and even if I had been mad keen on the Euro line, obtaining Smaland would have been a mistake for me at this time. I haven't ruled out getting her when I have reaccumulated the necessary FXP. By then I will be in the Oland at a minimum, possibly even the Ostergotland, and have both a better-trained senior Euro captain and a much better appreciation of how this line needs to be played at high tiers. IMHO buying Smaland on the day of her release was a move best suited to people who had a 19 point Blyskawica captain from way back, or who had enough elite commander XP on hand to create one instantaneously. I think she needs to be driven fully and deeply specced or not at all.

That's my line of thinking. Hopefully you can adapt it to your own needs, skills and playstyle.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[X-PN]
Members
1,757 posts
12,838 battles

I'll be making this same choice soon as I'm closing in on 2 mil.  Have  2 19 captains in EU line.  I love Friesland, and I like the loli hunter role, but I've struggled with Halland.  I've done well and like Kitakaze, but so far the Hayate doesn't appeal to me. 

I guess the basic options are:

A- Smaland

B- Hayate

C- Do nothing and sit on it

D- Use it for RB and get Colbert (already have Ohio)

BTW - I've nearly completed all tree lines.  Only 4 or 5 lines left that are at T8 or 9, so not much to spend there either.  Hope WG Gives us something else soon....however, I'd rather have more game modes than more ships.

Members
648 posts

Well, I decided to go a completely different direction and FXP to moskva before she becomes a coal ship since I'll use moskva in clan battles and it won't take long to re-earn the fxp to be able to get one of the DDs here in a few months. Thanks for all the great input. 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles
1 hour ago, mrieder79 said:

Well, I decided to go a completely different direction and FXP to moskva before she becomes a coal ship since I'll use moskva in clan battles and it won't take long to re-earn the fxp to be able to get one of the DDs here in a few months. Thanks for all the great input. 

Fair enough. I was going to as well, if I'd failed to grind to her in time.

Just don't buy permacamo for her; you'll be getting that for free anyway when she changes, and unfortunately having one on her won't leave one behind for her tech-tree replacement this time around (unless Wargaming relents).

[SCK]
Members
192 posts
24,804 battles

I'm in the same boat and I don't think I'm going to waste the FXP on either of them. The Mosk is an option for me as well, but I play PR and Stalin primarily in CB. Not to mention the Des Moines and Wors seem like better options. 

Sign in to follow this