You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Saidalphon

T6 cruisers with ASW weapons modeled in, but not utilized?

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,511 battles

So I've been playing around in Sub Battles these past few days, and i must say they have somehow actually been rather fun, although I've only played cruiser and destroyer at the moment.

I was just curious after seeing something that confused me after i started checking around the tech tree to see what cruisers got depth charges and which didn't, and i found quite a few cases where depth charges are modeled on the ship, yet are for some reason not usable as ASW weapons in game.

My only question is whether or not these ships will eventually get access to their ASW weapons, cause it would bring more variety to the potential cruisers one could bring into a submarine confrontation, i'm guessing the answer is they simply don't have them atm just for the public test. As of now I've mainly only checked T6 cruisers, but i did find quite a few other cruisers in the tech tree that have ASW weapons modeled in.

Here's the 7 T6 cruisers lacking the functionality that i found, I may have missed one or another (putting them in spoiler as to not bloat the post):

Huang He:

Spoiler

185090160_huanghe.thumb.PNG.2ffc557c75b18ff3c4b69778e19bb4ce.PNG

Single chute launcher present on the back.

Devonshire/London (very similar ships so i lumped them in together):

Spoiler

devonshire.thumb.PNG.26aae23df4b28328a714246054cc173b.PNGlondon.thumb.PNG.1f8f1bed0cec5c4bf8f79b18731a6a5c.PNG

Both Devonshire and London share the same style chute launcher.

Aoba:

Spoiler

aoba.thumb.PNG.e9f02a412ea106fceb93a232343ef113.PNG

Triple style chute launchers off of either side.

Galissonnière:

Spoiler

galisoniere.thumb.PNG.9195b0c9d92b6dc78f54fd7f3df7bd44.PNG

Tiny single depth charge chute on the back end of the ship.

Duca d'Aosta:

Spoiler

duca.thumb.PNG.939385067048d0dfc78ecdff1ffd3df7.PNG

Not exactly sure if these are even ASW weapons in the first place, but to me it looks like two single charge launchers off of either side.

Molotov:

Spoiler

molotov.thumb.PNG.9dc3e4b08db8d81ca56deab466e501d5.PNG

Double chute style launchers off of the back of the ship.

- Saidalphon

• Cool 4

[SOFOP]
Members
2,477 posts
15,297 battles

The plan is most likely that all light cruisers and DDs get them...they probably just limited how many cruisers got them so that Subs didnt get wiped off the map every game without being tested.  They may also be trying to figure out which ships the ASW stuff would make sense on, game balance wise.

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,511 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

The plan is most likely that all light cruisers and DDs get them...they probably just limited how many cruisers got them so that Subs didnt get wiped off the map every game without being tested.  They may also be trying to figure out which ships the ASW stuff would make sense on, game balance wise.

That's pretty much my guess as well, but my main worry is that they have only mentioned light cruisers so far...even though there are heavy cruisers that also have them. Just wondering if those heavy cruisers might not even get them in the end even though they are physically on the model. 

Beta Testers
105 posts
13,540 battles

My issue with cruiser and ASW is Wargaming doesn't balance cruisers between teams now as is. Will be bad to see team 1 with 3 ASW cruiser while Team 2 has heavy and super cruisers. 1 team will be at a disadvantage depending on the number of or lack of subs in the match.

I would like to see MM make teams, then do a second run to even out the cruisers; but I expect this to never occur. They don't even want to do it for the radar ships which has been asked for back in closed beta.

[UNHLY]
Members
3,227 posts
25,269 battles
2 hours ago, Saidalphon said:

So I've been playing around in Sub Battles these past few days, and i must say they have somehow actually been rather fun, although I've only played cruiser and destroyer at the moment.

I was just curious after seeing something that confused me after i started checking around the tech tree to see what cruisers got depth charges and which didn't, and i found quite a few cases where depth charges are modeled on the ship, yet are for some reason not usable as ASW weapons in game.

My only question is whether or not these ships will eventually get access to their ASW weapons, cause it would bring more variety to the potential cruisers one could bring into a submarine confrontation, i'm guessing the answer is they simply don't have them atm just for the public test. As of now I've mainly only checked T6 cruisers, but i did find quite a few other cruisers in the tech tree that have ASW weapons modeled in.

Here's the 7 T6 cruisers lacking the functionality that i found, I may have missed one or another (putting them in spoiler as to not bloat the post):

Huang He:

Reveal hidden contents

185090160_huanghe.thumb.PNG.2ffc557c75b18ff3c4b69778e19bb4ce.PNG

Single chute launcher present on the back.

Devonshire/London (very similar ships so i lumped them in together):

Reveal hidden contents

devonshire.thumb.PNG.26aae23df4b28328a714246054cc173b.PNGlondon.thumb.PNG.1f8f1bed0cec5c4bf8f79b18731a6a5c.PNG

Both Devonshire and London share the same style chute launcher.

Aoba:

Reveal hidden contents

aoba.thumb.PNG.e9f02a412ea106fceb93a232343ef113.PNG

Triple style chute launchers off of either side.

Galissonnière:

Reveal hidden contents

galisoniere.thumb.PNG.9195b0c9d92b6dc78f54fd7f3df7bd44.PNG

Tiny single depth charge chute on the back end of the ship.

Duca d'Aosta:

Reveal hidden contents

duca.thumb.PNG.939385067048d0dfc78ecdff1ffd3df7.PNG

Not exactly sure if these are even ASW weapons in the first place, but to me it looks like two single charge launchers off of either side.

Molotov:

Reveal hidden contents

molotov.thumb.PNG.9dc3e4b08db8d81ca56deab466e501d5.PNG

Double chute style launchers off of the back of the ship.

- Saidalphon

I have been writing posts about this for some time now, it seems WG are blind to them and cant read or understand, and I don't know how to write the BRAILLE version of the posts for them to realise what I have written. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,002 battles

Add De Grasse. I found out the hard way it has no depth charges.

And yes, the Sub battles are fun. I just ignore the subs and play shooty botes.

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
4,190 posts
10,784 battles
4 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I honestly hated subs, but hunting them in destroyers was fairly fun.

[HINON]
Members
8,978 posts
13,136 battles

pretty sure the Venezia has depth charges on it as well, but its a CA

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,511 battles
13 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Only reason i didn't add De Grasse is because i couldn't find any ASW weapons physically modeled on the ship proper, still, begs to question if ALL light cruisers will get ASW stuff or if there will be exceptions for...reasons.

8 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

pretty sure the Venezia has depth charges on it as well, but its a CA

It does, and dear lord are they absolutely MASSIVE depth charges too. I've also found a few other heavy cruisers with depth charges on the model: Moskva, Stalingrad, Petropavlovsk and Surrey.

These are the most notable heavy cruisers I could find that had ASW modeled in, but there are plenty of other cruisers around that I found that have them as well.

Edited by Saidalphon