You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eyeless_Camper

Amalfi vs Albemarle.

27 comments in this topic

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,194 posts

So, i am planning to get either one of the ships in the title but am unsure which one.

Which one of them would you guys suggest and why?

L666ohI.jpg

vs

Albemarle_wows_main.jpg

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,777 posts
37,495 battles

They are both decent and I have both.

Personally I prefer Albemarle.

That said, SAP can be powerful and if you are grinding both lines, Venezia is a much better end of the line than the Brit.

• Cool 2

Members
2,070 posts
12,694 battles

Albemarle is pure trash with defective armor and wet noodles for guns that's a pain to play. Amalfi is a great ship with great guns.

• Cool 3

[STAR]
Members
2 posts
7,674 battles

Albemarle: recovery, Fire, single-shot rapid torpedoes, concealment 

Amalfi: maneuverability, SAP projectiles ... smoke

I prefer albemarle

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Personally, 100% for Amalfi.  Arguably takes more skill to use effectively, but also has greater rewards.

In a 1v1, I'd pick Amalfi over Albermarle every time. SAP shells eat those squishy British heavies for lunch.

[KWF]
Members
6,367 posts
7,145 battles

Albermarle due to HE spam is the safer choice, but Amalfi is where the RM cruisers really start shaping together.

[ARGSY]
Members
729 posts
11,236 battles

I am a fan of the Amalfi and have one of my best win rates with here. Great super accurate long range guns, fast and spins on a dime. I rejected the concealment mod for a faster rudder shift. She is an open water fighter that is hard to hit. I might add that the Italian line of CAs are some of the most beautiful ships ever built while just about every British ship built was as ugly as a toad sitting on a fence post.  Hell, even if I don't like her much, I still would rather be seen stepping out with a super model. 

• Funny 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,733 posts
11,192 battles

Amalfi is my preference.  The Italian line starts to shine at this ship.  The SAP hits other cruisers hard, and you carry your own high speed smoke concealment for escape when needed.

[BUOY]
Members
1,336 posts
16,868 battles

Another vote for Amalfi, she's a lot of fun in being so evasive both in and out of smoke, get on a flank and most randoms turn into Farmville. :Smile_great:

Al'bruh'marle is another RN floating balloon that pops the moment any BB looks at her.

Edited by lloyd1701

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,293 battles

The Disablemarle is a terrible ship, and the line is not much use. They had fire starting in return for massive citadels with no armour, and then fires got nerfed. They kept the massive citadels with no armour.

Every BB is going to take a shot at you, every chance he gets, because your citadel is that juicy. You will be in range to eat penetration values, because your range is meh.

British cruisers, both lines, are AP magnets, and can't cope with the high tier power creep.

Ships like the Smol have overpen to save them, while ships like Alaska and the Puta Reekho are impossible to citadel. British cruisers own all the suck, and they are not worth your while. Want to set fires? Get IJN, or French, and kite at longer range.

[SYN]
Members
9,029 posts
16,295 battles

Amalfi is a lethal, highly maneuverable, smoke equipped predator.

Albemarle is a floating barge of disappointment, hoping to take heavy but not-quite-devstrike damage in order to repair and give the reds a second set of citadel ribbons.

• Funny 2

[DOG]
Members
812 posts
14,267 battles

I've played the Italian CAs on PTS and knew I wanted to get Zara and Amalfi (and have the permanent camouflages for them).  I have managed to get to Zara on live server and am enjoying the line (the tier 5/6 ships are ok) and I'm looking forward to the Amalfi. While I did not do PTS for the British CAs (so I had no idea what they were like), I have to say that while I've had some good games in the Surrey I did not like the Devonshire all that much and really am unsure how far up the line I'll go. I've read the Drake is supposed to be good so I'm guessing the Albemarle is maybe not so good (and is the planned ship by WG to be bad so as to encourage spending FXP to get past it).

Members
602 posts
17,640 battles

Amalfi.

Better range, better guns, better torps, better armor, better maneuverability, and you can actually pronounce its name. 

[O2]
Members
503 posts
10,287 battles
On 5/28/2020 at 4:33 AM, Eyeless_Camper said:

Which one of them would you guys suggest and why?

I am grinding the Albemarle. Don't have the Amalfi. I hated the Albemarle for the first 5-10 games, until I realized I played it the wrong way.

I find it the best DD hunter I have played. DD's see you very late (9.8 km concealment) and the guns firing HE takes out any DD in one or never more than two volleys. After the first volley the DD typically fire his DCP and the second volley smokes him instantly or after additional fire dam.

But...your are a fire magnet. And your gun range is 15.8 km... so you have to play it carefully and study the map.

Edited by Toxygene

Members
660 posts
20 battles

Here's my advice for anyone grinding the RN CA line.

Don't.

Stop playing them, remove them from your primaries, and never play them again.  They are awful.  The best ship in the line, Drake, just barely makes it to a below average rating. 

They are a road that leads only to misery and disappointment.

As for Amalfi, it's excellent and SAP is simple to use and way too good overall.

Asking which ship is better here is like asking whether you should pick Alaska or Azuma, Kleber or Khaba, Giulio Cesare or Konig, Enterprise or Implacable, Emile Bertin or Mikoyan (lol at that ship!), Belfast or Myoko.  Need I go on?  :Smile_glasses:

Members
1,650 posts

go with the RM, you'll get at the very end of your grinding the T10 Venezia, the best CA in the meta these days...

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Amalfi is the ship where the RM CA line really feels worthwhile after the slog upward from the stinking hell of Montecockroach.   

I don't have Professor Albemarle yet, but looking at that layout of quote-unquote "armor", I may end up using 'F'XP to skip it entirely.... it's looks like another stinking hell sandwiched between the surprisingly good Surrey, and the actually armored Drake.  

[SALVO]
Members
8,212 posts
6,098 battles

I don't know why all that hate for little Alby, I haven't get her yet but I find the line very fun to play. Italians are very fun too, each in a different way.

Play both of them, are complete different play styles. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I don't know why all that hate for little Alby, I haven't get her yet but I find the line very fun to play. Italians are very fun too, each in a different way.

Play both of them, are complete different play styles. 

My concern about Albemarle is that "little" is the last word that comes to mind -- it's a tall-sided ship with a big exposed citadel.  

[SALVO]
Members
8,212 posts
6,098 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

My concern about Albemarle is that "little" is the last word that comes to mind -- it's a tall-sided ship with a big exposed citadel.  

As I said, I haven't played her yet, but I bet it is like the rest of the line. I guess it can't be worse than Hawkins (if it is worse than Hawkins consider me baffled). I find the line very unique and fun to play, they are fat ambushers and requieres hard cover to be effective, but playing in the right setting, they are very deadly to any DD or CL careless enough to get caught... Feels like playing a croc!

[WOLF4]
Members
395 posts
17,296 battles
18 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I liked tha able, but had short range, has great heal, squishy and most cruisers are..Torps for area denials or ambush great fire starter and AP at cruisers.

Play it to its strengths like any ship

The amalfi I have not played as much thing is I do not like about SAP is  playing against high tier BBs . SAP is like throwing toilet paper at them. Specially when damage saturation starts. The amalfi I am sure is a good ship just a different set of tools to use.

I went to the goliath and the Drake is prolly the best of them IMO so far. I do not have many games in the Goliath.

I do like the ZARA the Amalfi just have not clicked with it yet.

From what I see the going to tier 10 the Italian line would be the way to go.

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,330 battles

Both are fun lines - and you'll likely finish both, at some point.

I didn't really enjoy Albe all that much, though.  Drake is a pretty good boat - with Goliath being the gem of that line - and the only boat I kept.

However - Amalfi is a really strong boat in her tier spread (I kept mine and gave her a dedicated skipper) and it just gets better with the T9 and 10 boats.

I'd recommend the Italian line first - from T8 up they are very competitive in their spread, and I personally enjoyed that grind more than the Brit CAs.

Edited to add: Read back through the thread - and see you went with popular opinion - good choice - enjoy the grind!

Edited by ddoubletapp1
Mut point!