You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HeidiAngel

Getting Depressed

39 comments in this topic

Members
399 posts
2,045 battles

I am getting really frustrated and depressed with the Russian BB's. My tier 6 Izmail wr is around 28.5 %. The damage numbers are above average [58,000] and climbing. I played 2 games in her tonight and the first game I did 92,000 damage and the second was 83,000. I lost the first game and almost lost the second. I have watched Noster and others on YouTube trying to play this BB better. Dad has tried helping also as his wr in the ship is a lot better. Nothing seems to help so here I am asking for some help from my friends in the forum. I'm sure some of you do very good in the Izmail and I'm begging you for some help. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated and put into practice tomorrow night. I know she had bad aim at long range and is a mid range brawler but don't show side as usual. It has decent AA and When the bow is angled it bounces shells well. But to try and use the other turrets you really have to pay attention to the mini map to see whats around you taking sniper shots at your broadside. Anyway I hope your all safe and in good spirits!

P.S. When in doubt, Smoosh em! Lol.:Smile_sad:

Screenshot (167).png

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,241 battles

Don't treat Izmael like you did Pyotyr Velhiky. The T6 and 7 of the line are fairly squishy. I'd treat them more like French BBs with a funky trick.

I haven't played Izmael much in random, but she's a go-to ship of mine for rushing north on Aegis. She may be flimsy, but the accuracy and dam con do the trick. If you want to learn her in a safe environment, just take her in operations.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,280 battles

Russian BBs are not the OP monsters they are made out to be. The hysterical ethnic hatred towards Russians on the forums, and from quite a few CCs on the youtubes, is what it is. Hating Russia is the "good hate" of the modern age, according to certain people.

The thing is, as you know now, you have weak sides, and can be set on fire very easily. You are not so nimble, and need to be careful about being out numbered. It is hard to disengage from a bad situation. You do need to close the range gap to do decent damage, however get too close and your weak sides will be easy to exploit, and you will come under fire from many enemy at once.

A good strategy is to start each match by heading down the middle of the map with your nose pointed straight ahead. Wait to see how the enemy are moving, and where, before you choose a position to push towards. Keep your nose pointed towards the enemy whenever possible, and try to find an island that will give you cover on one flank. Approach to close range, using the island as cover.

Don't try to use all your guns all the time, as this will expose your weak flank. The great benefit of higher tier Ruski BBs is that they have 6 guns pointing straight forward, so you don't lose all your firepower by keeping nose in.

Good luck!

• Cool 4
  • Boring 5

Members
165 posts
6,168 battles
39 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

But to try and use the other turrets you really have to pay attention to the mini map to see whats around you taking sniper shots at your broadside.

Are you slotting the Damage upgrade in slot 4? I personally prefer the Rudder upgrade. Russian ships are very resilient when angled but very vulnerable when broadside, so the rudder shift allows to me to swing, sling, and swing back to angling positing. I also avoid central positions so I don't get cross fired. If I'm on the flanks then the enemy BBs are mostly in one direction even if I don't see them. This is particularly true at low tier where most BBs are super slow.

[BOTES]
Members
2,307 posts
9,094 battles

I don't know how many games you played, but you just have to play more than that. WoWS has become more like WoT over the years and we're at the point now where it is perfectly normal and rather typical to play at super unicum levels and to have a 20-40% WR over a "small" sample of games, like 20-30 matches. It happens to me in WoT as well. If you care about the numbers just keep playing and your WR will magically increase, but this is a serious issue for player retention and overall fun because telling someone "play a hundred games to start getting some decent matches" is not a solution to the problem of countless autolosses and blowouts that no amount of skill can undo. Like, great, I'll start having fun in a week, but for the next 5 days, I have to endure shitshow after shitshow and not have any fun. That's a really great way to motivate players.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
60 posts
12,196 battles
1 hour ago, Baritone4 said:

I also avoid central positions so I don't get cross fired. If I'm on the flanks then the enemy BBs are mostly in one direction even if I don't see them. This is particularly true at low tier where most BBs are super slow.

That right there is one of the keys imo, don't be in the middle where you can easily be flanked. Rather you want to be on the flanks so you only have to worry about return fire coming from one direction.

Also, Izmael can actually work quite well in defending a flank and allowing an enemy to chase her back into your allies, her relatively high speed can keep the enemy at the range you want and most of her turrets face the rear so its easy to swing the ship from side to side while you are being chased and still keep most of your guns target.

Hope that helps.

[PVE]
Members
8,500 posts
24,586 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If you want to learn her in a safe environment, just take her in operations.

Usually that is the best advice...but...

2 hours ago, HeidiAngel said:

I am getting really frustrated and depressed with the Russian BB's. My tier 6 Izmail wr is around 28.5 %. The damage numbers are above average [58,000] and climbing. I played 2 games in her tonight and the first game I did 92,000 damage and the second was 83,000. I lost the first game and almost lost the second. I have watched Noster and others on YouTube trying to play this BB better. Dad has tried helping also as his wr in the ship is a lot better. Nothing seems to help so here I am asking for some help from my friends in the forum. I'm sure some of you do very good in the Izmail and I'm begging you for some help. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated and put into practice tomorrow night. I know she had bad aim at long range and is a mid range brawler but don't show side as usual. It has decent AA and When the bow is angled it bounces shells well. But to try and use the other turrets you really have to pay attention to the mini map to see whats around you taking sniper shots at your broadside. Anyway I hope your all safe and in good spirits!

Screenshot (167).png

Izmsil is T6 & presently OP there is a sub mode going on that has zero effect on your main stats but has a "5 +100% 1st win bonus" event going on just for T6 ships (all of them btw...not just the RU BBs) so you can more than practice...you can amass mucho XP/CXP/& Free XP. It's also great for farming ECXP but assuming you are not quite up to a 19 point commander yet.

Not the best ship against subs? Who cares...different mode zero effect on stats.

But remember that subs means lots of DDs hunting subs means lots of cruisers (even those that don't have ASW) hunting DDs which mean lots of targets for BBs...& the cruisers w/ASW are really squishy :-)

A place to practice w/good rewards (presently anyway)...take that training room :-)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,189 battles
3 hours ago, HeidiAngel said:

Screenshot (167).png

Izzy does good in 3 of the tier 6 Operations, Killer Whale, Aegis and Raptor Rescue, it makes it easy to get to the next ship, which of course you can grind out in Narai. It also helps you to learn the ships capabilities. You can learn about those Ops on @Lightninger 's You tube page.

You can also hook up with people for a full team on discord with the Hoperations guys and girls. https://discord.gg/5Pz2p9

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,349 posts
4,755 battles

Do what I did: SKIP
Sinop "Sigh Nope" is the cream of Tier 7. Anyone who tells you she's squishy has no idea what they're doing.

For the most part, the only Tier 6 Battleships I didn't skip are Bayern and Queen Elizabeth. I skipped all the others though. Moronic Shotgun Battleships that can't hit for crap are a bane and I love seeing them on the enemy team as I rip through them.

~Hunter

[SALVO]
Members
79 posts
16,699 battles

It looks like you’ve only played a few games in this ship. If you continue putting out those big damage numbers, your win rate will surely improve.  Nothing to worry about. 

• Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
24,415 posts
18,358 battles

Don't feel too bad. I hated Izmail; it was something to suffer through. But the advice to take her into operations is valid, as is Submarine Battles. Yes there are submarines, and you might get torped to death by an unseen enemy, but there are a few destroyers at Tier 6 which are just as capable of doing that to you - and Submarine Battles is Tier 6 only, so you avoid the worst of the fire-spitting horrors that you can meet if you end up bottom-tier in a Tier 8 battle. Just a warning - Submarine Battles seems NOT to count for the Daily Chains.

May 29 (i.e. this Friday), June 4 and June 9 offer ship XP as rewards for the daily chains in the first and fourth missions. You might want to ensure that you complete those missions in the Izmail, as it will give you an easy extra 1000 XP each time. After that the rewards are changing, and I'm not exactly sure how much of the PTS rewards will go live as they were trying to showcase too many things at once IMHO.

• Cool 2

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,014 posts
7,823 battles

How long you think it will take you to figure it out?    7 games doesn't quite seem enough...But wait,  this actually makes it one of your most played ships already?     The commitment it must take to RP alt/reroll accounts this hard?  I dare say a good deal.....  The need for attention is strong in this one.     

• Boring 1

[UNHLY]
Members
3,241 posts
25,287 battles
10 hours ago, HeidiAngel said:

Screenshot (167).png

OK first of all to the 2 clowns that voted with boring emojis way to go [edited] someone asking for help and that's your response, your a credit to the community NOT.

Right got that out the way well first those two scores are impressive your doing better then me in some cases.

Now I'm certain your aware that at this moment with so many people playing, teams will be lopsided its been like that for a long time but with so many away from work and online that's how it goes.

You need to ride out this situation, also there are far better players around here than me that are in the know, but what I do know about Russian BB's is that there most dangerous at mid to close range unfortunately there also at there most vulnerable except for Kremlin which seems to be invincible at any range short of a nuclear warhead being detonated on the ship.

My 2 cents to get out of the rut your going through grab your favourite ships play some games get some good wins get that confidence back then get back on the horse as they say also like I said there are many numbers of good posts here form players with ideas that know a hell of a lot more than me.        

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 4

Members
939 posts
17,509 battles
23 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

How long you think it will take you to figure it out?    7 games doesn't quite seem enough...But wait,  this actually makes it one of your most played ships already?     The commitment it must take to RP alt/reroll accounts this hard?  I dare say a good deal.....  The need for attention is strong in this one.     

Wow. I see we have an all seeing , all knowing nose in the air Prima Dona. I am The Girls Father and I can sincerely say She is not looking for your attention.

I also have a Son who plays this game. She likes the community here as does not need some self appointed Judge to discourage her from asking for help within the community here. What in the world has she ever done to you to make a smart remark like you did?

Either help with your vast experience or keep your uninformed thoughts to yourself. The people here and Heidi herself do not need it.  

Thank you, and have a good day.

• Cool 3

Members
158 posts
1,606 battles

Work on your survival rate 35% overall is quite low, the longer you're in the game, the more influence you'll have on the outcome. For the Izmail keep a heavy angle until your guns are ready to fire, she eats a ton of damage otherwise, the Pytor and its gun angles don't really prepare you well for the Izmail, aside from Vladivostok shes been my least favorite in the line so far.

• Cool 1

Members
399 posts
2,045 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

OK first of all to the 2 clowns that voted with boring emojis way to go [edited] someone asking for help and that's your response, your a credit to the community NOT.

Right got that out the way well first those two scores are impressive your doing better then me in some cases.

Now I'm certain your aware that at this moment with so many people playing, teams will be lopsided its been like that for a long time but with so many away from work and online that's how it goes.

You need to ride out this situation, also there are far better players around here than me that are in the know, but what I do know about Russian BB's is that there most dangerous at mid to close range unfortunately there also at there most vulnerable except for Kremlin which seems to be invincible at any range short of a nuclear warhead being detonated on the ship.

My 2 cents to get out of the rut your going through grab your favourite ships play some games get some good wins get that confidence back then get back on the horse as they say also like I said there are many numbers of good posts here form players with ideas that know a hell of a lot more than me.        

Thank you sir. I appreciate your kind words. 

• Cool 1

Members
399 posts
2,045 battles
48 minutes ago, BasedCoomer said:

Work on your survival rate 35% overall is quite low, the longer you're in the game, the more influence you'll have on the outcome. For the Izmail keep a heavy angle until your guns are ready to fire, she eats a ton of damage otherwise, the Pytor and its gun angles don't really prepare you well for the Izmail, aside from Vladivostok shes been my least favorite in the line so far.

Yes, Some players are telling me the same thing. Problem is I get very aggressive near the ends of games and get smooshed. lol.

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,629 battles

Aloha,

The biggest problem I see with a lot of RU BB drivers, they tend to push and over extend too early.

RU BBs are powerful yes, however, if they do not have support and/or overextend, they tend to get eaten.

Standing back and engaging until about mid game, when you know where your team is going more and where the enemy team is going more is best and then start to push and use your angled belt armor and punchy guns to eat the enemy.

ALSO, best to always try to DIV with someone.

-Hapa

• Cool 2

Members
158 posts
1,606 battles
9 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

Yes, Some players are telling me the same thing. Problem is I get very aggressive near the ends of games and get smooshed. lol.

If you haven't already enable last known markers for the mini map/maybe make it larger, before you make your pushes try and account for where the red ships could be/are and then make the decision to commit to a push or not. The Izmails turret layout doesn't really lend itself to aggressive pushing, you'll likely enjoy the Sinop a good deal more.

Members
245 posts
2,768 battles
15 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

HA,ha. Yes you do sis! Then you get blapped!:fish_viking:

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,732 posts
11,192 battles

Don't extend too early in the Ismail.  You want to stay engaged, but not at brawling ranges.  Once the herd gets thinned out, move in closer where this ship really shines.  It can punch through most ships at mid and close ranges.  You will have greater influence in the matches by staying alive and engaging the enemy this way.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,500 posts
7,388 battles
11 hours ago, HeidiAngel said:

Screenshot (167).png

You really seem to be doing just fine above average in the ship on an account that's  unicum not just in the short term but tracking to become one in the long term. As far as your WR in it I wouldn't worry at only 7 games which is also whats screwing your PR.   Really the only tips I can give relate to how I approached and techniques I tried to learn when playing that ship.   

Stripping the ship down to its basic what are the overwhelming weaknesses and strengths

- Weakness: Poor broadside armor, slow turrets, somewhat poor firing angles.    

- Strengths:  Devastating Broadside , superior speed, great rudder shift. 

Taking those into account.  There are 2 techniques to practice. 

1.  At the beginning of the match  evaluate your teams spawn positions. Remember that with the exception of Carriers and some divisions the enemy spawns will mirror yours.  So early on pick either a clockwise or counter clockwise direction in which to circle the map as the match progresses.  Point your guns into the middle and start sailing your circle.  Say you pick counter clockwise  and spawn on the bottom right  try to keep the entire enemy fleet to your left where you are also pointing your guns. Then still stick as close to the center as possible so as soon as the enemy on your side collapses you can go through the center to pressure the rest of them.  Of course you can change the direction of your guns, for example if you need to retreat but with 1 minute on turret rotation you are often better served to stick to the direction you chose.     

2.  Practice timing your rudder shift in conjunction reload and firing your broadside.    For examples if you have your guns to Port stay bow in on your enemy until your guns are just about ready to fire . Then turn hard to starboard. Before your guns are on target turn hard back to port.  Fire your guns and you should immediately be hiding your broadside again as your ship turns back to port with only  the bow exposed.  If you do this right your broadside is only exposed for a couple of seconds as you fire your guns.  This ship is really good at this too.  

• Cool 2

Members
4,660 posts
45,380 battles
27 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

Being aggressive is not a liability. If anything, it's the team not being aggressive enough with you.

Since WG removed the costs for consumables, that should be incentive for many players to take more risks.

But sadly the players that are resistant to aggressive playstyle are either too damn cheap or are under scrutiny by their clan for not stat padding their little tushies.

I suggest enhancing your steering, survivability, and possibly concealment.

Divisioning might help with someone watching your back.  Practice in training room will also be of great benefit.

Don't fret your aggressive playstyle. That is what you should do. Players that prefer to hide behind the island shaped like a chicken, are more into themselves. They worry they get booted from their clan for lack of stats.

That is no way to live as a slave to numbers.

When the most important thing is that you have fun. Playing for numbers will make you salty. And some clans live and die by those numbers. Vanity alone won't make much of a difference if players walk out.

Just work on it. You will be fine.

• Cool 2

[BUOY]
Members
1,335 posts
16,860 battles

Izmail is the Monarch/Colorado/Pre Buff Izumo/Fat Freddy/etc. of the VMF line with pretty much all of the drawbacks and none of the advantages.

Members
399 posts
2,045 battles
14 minutes ago, eviltane said:

You really seem to be doing just fine above average in the ship on an account that's  unicum not just in the short term but tracking to become one in the long term. As far as your WR in it I wouldn't worry at only 7 games which is also whats screwing your PR.   Really the only tips I can give relate to how I approached and techniques I tried to learn when playing that ship.   

Stripping the ship down to its basic what are the overwhelming weaknesses and strengths

- Weakness: Poor broadside armor, slow turrets, somewhat poor firing angles.    

- Strengths:  Devastating Broadside , superior speed, great rudder shift. 

Taking those into account.  There are 2 techniques to practice. 

1.  At the beginning of the match  evaluate your teams spawn positions. Remember that with the exception of Carriers and some divisions the enemy spawns will mirror yours.  So early on pick either a clockwise or counter clockwise direction in which to circle the map as the match progresses.  Point your guns into the middle and start sailing your circle.  Say you pick counter clockwise  and spawn on the bottom right  try to keep the entire enemy fleet to your left where you are also pointing your guns. Then still stick as close to the center as possible so as soon as the enemy on your side collapses you can go through the center to pressure the rest of them.  Of course you can change the direction of your guns, for example if you need to retreat but with 1 minute on turret rotation you are often better served to stick to the direction you chose.     

2.  Practice timing your rudder shift in conjunction reload and firing your broadside.    For examples if you have your guns to Port stay bow in on your enemy until your guns are just about ready to fire . Then turn hard to starboard. Before your guns are on target turn hard back to port.  Fire your guns and you should immediately be hiding your broadside again as your ship turns back to port with only  the bow exposed.  If you do this right your broadside is only exposed for a couple of seconds as you fire your guns.  This ship is really good at this too.  

Thank you very much Sir. I will try your advice first tonight. 

• Cool 1