Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Hoodwink

You load sixteen guns, whaddaya get?

22 comments in this topic

Members
277 posts
1,520 battles

The most trollish dispersion that I’ve ever met.

FEE8D6F1-AEFF-43CD-9368-179F312E9894.thumb.jpeg.961a7a086671cb029f33fedaf498c45a.jpeg

I got myself a Lyon today, and despite that dispersion and the complete lack of an aircraft she seems to be a good ship. For those on this board that have her, what are your opinions? Best strategies to use with her?

• Cool 2

Members
760 posts
15,993 battles

...Another day older and deeper in debt. :cap_book:

As far as the ship goes, she's one of my favorites. She's not a long range sniper, she is good mid and short range. Very tanky bote for her tier. Good secondaries as well.

Edited by RevTKS
  • Cool 2

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
12,280 battles

You have found the wth shotgun of WOWS.

Here is the thing: it is hot and cold. I've gotten a kraken with the Lyon, on one of those days when everything landed home. You can get brutal results, if the RNG gods smile on you. You can also fire 16 shells at a full broadside BB at 7km miss to both sides, in front and behind, and get literally nothing. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,968 posts
12,803 battles

Despite having 16 guns, it has fairly awful firing arcs to get them all working. This means it's really awkward to use, as you get better protection and shell output going [edited]in.

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

Avoid long range, try to get isolated against single ships (finding island cover from broadside shots is key) and then fire full broadsides yourself. I have a kraken in it, it's not terrible, but as Sid says, it's very hot and cold. 

There's not a lot more fun in WOWS than turning broadside and obliterating a DD trying to yolo you, with a full 16 gun salute.

Edited by macktkau2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,412 posts
12,646 battles
26 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Despite having 16 guns, it has fairly awful firing arcs to get them all working. This means it's really awkward to use, as you get better protection and shell output going [edited]in.

I don't find it hard to get all my guns on a target . I do find it hard to hit anything with my guns on target . I still love the ship If for nothing else then just watching all those shells head for the target .

[DRAH]
Members
431 posts
10,731 battles

It can devistate things but has bad angles and soft armour. Mountains of fun if you know how to waggle right. Also her HE is an oft overlooked bonus - instant barbequeue.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles

• Cool 2

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Lyon is proof that if you throw enough dakka on things you can make up for a lot of faults. She has a ton of shortcomings but due to 16 barrels more than makes up for most of them. Just don't get too greedy with the broad side.

[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
757 posts
26,568 battles

Ultimate super shotgun.....makes doom guy very proud.

Edited by Grapefruitcannon

[ARGSY]
Members
24,414 posts
18,358 battles
6 hours ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

I got myself a Lyon today

I was trying to decide when I read your post title whether it was the Lyon or the Smolensk you were talking about.

• Cool 1

[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,349 posts
4,755 battles

I get an arsonist.
LhYefwd.jpg

Oh wait, you were talking about Lyon.

Never mind then.

~Hunter

• Funny 1

[1CVDV]
Members
263 posts
12,349 battles

lyon is a "keeper" boat.she works best at mid range(10-12km).barbeque bb's,you can pretty much one-shot any dd with an arrogant skipper at the helm,and use ap shells on all cruisers.have minimum 10 point capt,anything after that she becomes stronger..

[ARP]
[ARP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,349 posts
4,755 battles
16 minutes ago, Saxon29 said:

lyon is a "keeper" boat.she works best at mid range(10-12km).barbeque bb's,you can pretty much one-shot any dd with an arrogant skipper at the helm,and use ap shells on all cruisers.have minimum 10 point capt,anything after that she becomes stronger..

Use AP on BBs too.

~Hunter

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,867 posts
25,982 battles

In this game, Lyon is the epitome of "Quantity is a Quality all its own."

Individually the guns are worthless, but if you have enough s**t guns, they become a powerful force.  One of the better BBs in this tier.

When RNG blesses a 16-gun salvo, some DD or Cruiser is going right back to port.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
277 posts
1,520 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I was trying to decide when I read your post title whether it was the Lyon or the Smolensk you were talking about.

I’d completely forgotten that Smole had sixteen barrels as well.

I took Lyon out for a walk again this morning, bagged a Leander in hilarious fashion. Took him from Cheddar to Swiss instantly. He didn’t know Jack. He was so cheesed off in chat.

Why am I hungry?

• Funny 1

[1CVDV]
Members
263 posts
12,349 battles

she's a better "firestarter" on bb's due to smaller rifles,work the room as I always say...

[ARGSY]
Members
24,414 posts
18,358 battles
17 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

Took him from Cheddar to Swiss instantly. He didn’t know Jack. He was so cheesed off in chat.

Puns as terrible as that are worth a lifetime ban on the forums. :Smile-_tongue:

(Only joking. I LOL'ed.)

Members
448 posts
16,594 battles
45 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

I took Lyon out for a walk again this morning, bagged a Leander in hilarious fashion. Took him from Cheddar to Swiss instantly. He didn’t know Jack. He was so cheesed off in chat.

Out of reactions, so here is a +1  :Smile_veryhappy:

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
19,916 battles
12 hours ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

The most trollish dispersion that I’ve ever met.

I got myself a Lyon today, and despite that dispersion and the complete lack of an aircraft she seems to be a good ship. For those on this board that have her, what are your opinions? Best strategies to use with her?

9 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

This brings back memories for many of us but beyond that, @Cpt_Cupcake's post led me to this.  Thx!

• Cool 2

[SS238]
Members
398 posts
36,575 battles

Do this if you want to have a good laugh with some friends

Division up with two buds. All choose Lyon. Go play a co-op match. As the bots charge in, as bots do, you all choose the same target and fire together! Watch target melt in one insane 48 shell volley. LOL !!!!! - choose next target - rinse and repeat. Enjoy!

It's a great way to bring some fun back into what has oftentimes turned into a boring grind!

Members
769 posts
10,149 battles

Sixteen rifles will provide you with a few awesome dev strike moments, but the terrible firing arcs are a big liability. You have to show nearly full broadside to get all your guns on target and good teams will make you pay for that.

Different tier but IMO Fuso does that shotgun play style better(fewer guns but better ranged play and more workable firing arcs).

Sign in to follow this