Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
the_eng

Load more tracers, new AA mechanic

3 comments in this topic

[BANG]
Members
20 posts

I think a cool and useful mechanic that could be added into the game would be a "virtual attrition" aa mechanic. It would function similar to how the current priority sector mechanic works for aa. The idea comes a section of Operation Think Tank and German reports about flak. The theory behind virtual attrition is that fast firing flak guns load more tracer rounds than normal and aim in front of the incoming aircraft. The goal being to scary the pilot and make them miss their drop rather than shot them down.

The way I see it working is instead of using priority sector, upon enemy aircraft entering their attack approach, the aircraft aim recital does not shrink to the full level and the RNG that drop lands farther to the outside of the zone increases. Basically, similar to how the old DAA or fighter caused the drops to be scattered. The disadvantages being that you do less damage to the enemy aircraft. 

I think this would be good also as it gives players a choice between shooting aircraft down and distorting the aim of enemy planes. The best tactics to counter cvs is to not be seen or move in a group and maneuver smartly. however, these tactics are not always possible. I think this gives ships caught on there own or just outside mutual protections a better way of taking less damage from cvs.

Hope I've been able to get my idea across.  

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,226 battles

This would have a disproportionate effect on certain CVs. Midway's torps take far too long to aim as it is, for example. Not to mention that most rockets have so few projectiles that you need max tightness to even hope to hit. Maybe rather than affecting the rectical, it instead affects sigma within the rectical. making things less likely to hit the center. As for what to do to torps, I'm not sure.

Heck, could even fudge it by just lowering the damage under the excuse of it being panicked. After all, hitting for less is more fun than missing more. Could make it a replacement for Massive AA Fire.

• Cool 1

[K0]
Members
216 posts
5,157 battles

That is what the Flak clouds were meant to be. Players figured it out pretty quick and now its mostly useful against new CV captains.

Sign in to follow this