Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tig_Welder_1

Tier V Premium USN Cruiser?

12 comments in this topic

Members
18 posts
188 battles

Hello all,

I am looking at buying my first tier 5 premium ship, now that I have been hanging around the tier 5 area of ships. I have decided to pursue down the USN cruiser line (which one I dont know yet). I am currently on the Omaha. So with my limited game experience I was wanting to hang around tier 5 and build commander points and money while learning the game as much as I can. Which would you all consider me buying at this point (if there is more than one)?

Thank you, and any advice is always welcome! 

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
807 posts
8,953 battles

rather then purchasing a t5 USN CL premium, it would be best to just lay the Omaha until you cant stand it anymore, then transfer your captain to the next ship. the only t5 premium i know of for USN is not worth the money (IMHO). its just a worse Omaha clone. wait till you are higher in the tiers before buying premiums. if you must buy a premium USN CL/CA id suggest looking at t7/9 cruisers instead, as there is more options and they arent just copy/pastes without AA guns like the t5 premium is. 

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Agree with GX9900A - there is only one available at TV - Marblehead and it is not worth it.

Hang with Omaha (open but do not purchase the C hull) - then go to Pensacola or Dallas.

I would be eyeing a TVII premium at this point - Boise or Atlanta if you are dead set on US cruisers.

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
19,258 battles

Those two guys above me are correct - Marblehead is for experienced players only, just like the Omaha it gets wrecked by any BB at any angle.  Boise at 7 has some interesting traits that make it useful and the Atlanta can absolutely wreck DD's it catches in range - but even those two are not easy to play.  Maybe wait till you save up enough to get either an Alaska at tier 9 ( considered to be a very solid and easy to play ship ) or the Wichita at tier 8.  The Indianapolis at tier 7 has very strong radar ( 10KM ) and heavy US AP rounds at tier 7, but has low health.   I have played all 3 tier 7 US premium cruisers and the Indy is the most user friendly for new players.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Those two guys above me are correct - Marblehead is for experienced players only, just like the Omaha it gets wrecked by any BB at any angle.  Boise at 7 has some interesting traits that make it useful and the Atlanta can absolutely wreck DD's it catches in range - but even those two are not easy to play.  Maybe wait till you save up enough to get either an Alaska at tier 9 ( considered to be a very solid and easy to play ship ) or the Wichita at tier 8.  The Indianapolis at tier 7 has very strong radar ( 10KM ) and heavy US AP rounds at tier 7, but has low health.   I have played all 3 tier 7 US premium cruisers and the Indy is the most user friendly for new players.

I have all these ships.

I would not recommend the Wichita - the Baltimore line ship is just a bit better.

Indianapolis - you may as well have New Orleans, the only advantage is radar.

Alaska - seeing that OP is a TV, the price tag is probably too high....but it is worth it. 

If Alaska is an option financially, then wait for the Dockyard in next update:  Graf Spee and the German equivalent of Alaska awaits. Start the German cruisers and battleships and save your money for that?

Another option would be the Flint - it is coming out for coal in a couple months.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,965 posts
26,039 battles

Tier V is not a good place to hang around as a Cruiser player, much less spend money on for a Premium Cruiser there.

The Omaha-class, which the Marbleheads are a part of, have major deficiencies in their protection.

The sole purpose of Tier V Cruisers are to pad the stats of Battleship players.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
18 posts
188 battles

Ok, well thanks everyone. I wasnt trying to climb the tier ladder to fast as I need to learn the game. SO I guess I will keep playng the Omaha till I figure it out, Or should I get up to tier 7 and hang out there if tier v is for cannon fodder?

Members
18 posts
188 battles
1 hour ago, jmanII said:

Hang with Omaha (open but do not purchase the C hull) 

I didnt know this and was using the c hull, why may I ask is the B better? Is it because of the turrets moving slower and longer reload? I went ahead and reinstalled the B hull! Thanks

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Members
47 posts
10,831 battles

The B hull on Omaha has double the torpedo mounts of the C hull. 

At Tier V, my favorite cruisers are the Furutaka and Exeter.  I ground all the Japanese cruisers through to the Zao.  They were all good and keepers.

But if you are set on US cruisers, I ground the entire light cruiser line through the Worcester.  Dallas, Helena, Cleveland and "Wustah" were keepers, but IMO, the higher the tier, the greater the disappointment.

Of the heavy cruisers, I kept the Baltimore and Des Moines (skipped the Buffalo with Free XP).  The CAs became more fun at Tier VIII and X.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
17 hours ago, Tig_Welder_1 said:

I didnt know this and was using the c hull, why may I ask is the B better? Is it because of the turrets moving slower and longer reload? I went ahead and reinstalled the B hull! Thanks

C hull trades torpedo mounts and main gun mounts for AA guns.  At tier V aircraft normally are not much of a problem.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Omaha

Sign in to follow this