You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Ranked: The First League vs The Second League

26 comments in this topic

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles

I have never played past rank 5 before, but I'm making the effort to rank out this season. 

The difference in the quality of play beyond rank 5 is, to put it frankly, astonishing.

The vast majority of players are very good or unicum level. Communication tends to be tight and concise. 

No mistake gets left unpunished, and few mistakes are made on either side.

I'm really enjoying it. It's often exhilarating, knowing you have to make the right choice in every scenario or you will likely get sent back to port.

Today I played a match in Haida vs @FemennenIy (Z39) and @ViirtualSenpai (Gneisenau). It was razor wire close right to the very end. Way more fun than ranked in the Second League. It's making me a better player.

Side note: Super Unicum players don't handle criticism well, especially when they know they effed up. But I digress....

ban.png

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

I have never played past rank 5 before, but I'm making the effort to rank out this season. 

The difference in the quality of play beyond rank 5 is, to put it frankly, astonishing.

The vast majority of players are very good or unicum level. Communication tends to be tight and concise. 

No mistake gets left unpunished, and few mistakes are made on either side.

I'm really enjoying it. It's often exhilarating, knowing you have to make the right choice in every scenario or you will likely get sent back to port.

Today I played a match in Haida vs @FemennenIy (Z39) and @ViirtualSenpai (Gneisenau). It was razor wire close right to the very end. Way more fun than ranked in the Second League. It's making me a better player.

Side note: Super Unicum players don't handle criticism well, especially when they know they effed up. But I digress....

ban.png

How did you even make Rank 5!? I get 2 stars into Rank 9 and get plastered with bad teams until I get back into Rank 10 at which point the teams oddly improve. Happening consistently enough that the theory is of rigged MM are starting to look more and more credible.

• Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

How did you even make Rank 5!? I get 2 stars into Rank 9 and get plastered with bad teams until I get back into Rank 10 at which point the teams oddly improve. Happening consistently enough that the theory is of rigged MM are starting to look more and more credible.

I went on a streak of 10 losses in 14 games at rank 7/8 where I saved a star in 7 or 8 of the losses. 

The baffling potatoism in the middling ranks is hard to get used to, but when the fever breaks, you can tear right through 2 or 3 ranks in a day.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

ban.png

So you are saying that some "unicum" players might be prima donnas who can't take constructive criticism and thus abuse the chat reporting system to silence those they deem below them? Who would have thunk?

• Boring 2

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

So you are saying that some "unicum" players might be prima donnas who can't take constructive criticism and thus abuse the chat reporting system to silence those they deem below them? Who would have thunk?

Thanks buddy. I just had a good laugh.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,624 posts

I bet it is. Could you please post a replay of your best battle on the lowest rank achieved...and...a votre sante...(cheers)...

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Yeah, I am at rank 4 and I think it is it for me.  I am fed up with the Belfast/Atlanta spam.  That is all you see.  At least for BBs, it isn't all Sinops, but for Crusiers, it 80% Belfast or Atlanta, 15% Fiji, and 5% Abruzzi

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,495 posts
24,849 battles

My experience in Rank 5 and 4 has been horrible. I keep seeing these KOTS level players (from clan tags) doing horrible. I really thought these guys would be leading the way or putting on a good show but it's anything but. 

Edited by Skuggsja

[NFJF]
Members
693 posts
10,417 battles
On 5/26/2020 at 12:14 AM, legozer said:

ban.png

Yeah he probably thought, " how dare this non purple stat peon question my play? Doesn't he know I'm literally gods gift to WOWs? I'll report this [edited] and then go upstairs and cry to my mom about it." To be totally fair though, there are a lot of nice unicums out there that are helpful and give good advice.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
2 hours ago, loco_max said:

I bet it is. Could you please post a replay of your best battle on the lowest rank achieved...and...a votre sante...(cheers)...

Yeah. I'll pick one tonight.

Thing is, in lesser ranks, I'm usually one of the better players (I still potato into bad things once in a while), sometimes even the best player in a given game. In rank 5+, I'm really average, so I just try to play a role as best I can. It's like hitting .338 in triple A ball, then getting called to the bigs in August to face Justin Verlander: there's a learning curve (pun intended).

Members
1,624 posts
30 minutes ago, legozer said:

Yeah. I'll pick one tonight.

Thing is, in lesser ranks, I'm usually one of the better players (I still potato into bad things once in a while), sometimes even the best player in a given game. In rank 5+, I'm really average, so I just try to play a role as best I can. It's like hitting .338 in triple A ball, then getting called to the bigs in August to face Justin Verlander: there's a learning curve (pun intended).

I see. Just upload your best replay, many will thank you. I believe that in the R5-2 battles, it's not always easy for the best players...

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
11 minutes ago, loco_max said:

I see. Just upload your best replay, many will thank you. I believe that in the R5-2 battles, it's not always easy for the best players...

Not my best game, but a solid example of how cautious you need to be. I made 2 mistakes that I could identify, and got IMMEDIATELY smacked for them.

20200525_220524_PUSD507-Haida_04_Archipelago.wowsreplay

• Cool 1

Members
1,624 posts
23 hours ago, legozer said:

Not my best game, but a solid example of how cautious you need to be. I made 2 mistakes that I could identify, and got IMMEDIATELY smacked for them.

I liked how you managed to capture B, going backwards on smoke was a fine move. A little too aggressive at the end though. Very well thought battle. I learned a lot, thanks again!

Edited by loco_max

[MCGA]
Members
99 posts
11,126 battles
21 hours ago, legozer said:

Good work getting into the top Ranked league. Another important thing to learn, just as important as being cautious and aware, is knowing when to push ahead and take an advantage to force the other team out of their comfortable spot. Flanks are importantant, but so is getting a dominant center position with cover and lighting up hydro or radar to expose the other team when the opportunity presents itself. Keep an eye on when players do this succesfully and if you learn that, you'll be light years ahead of most.

Good luck getting to 1!

Members
1,633 posts
1,286 battles
On 5/25/2020 at 6:46 PM, Snargfargle said:

You can't abuse the chat reporting system to get a week long ban on somebody. This dude was ticket reported and reviewed by a mod who issued the ban

• Cool 2

Members
706 posts
28,652 battles

I can't wait to play unicum players and get chat banned. Hopefully it happens tonight!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
1 hour ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

You can't abuse the chat reporting system to get a week long ban on somebody. This dude was ticket reported and reviewed by a mod who issued the ban

I do tend to wonder about chat bans. I sometimes am pretty snarky in chat myself. However, I've never received even a 24-hour chat ban. A lifetime in the military and civilian public service, including education, where I had to "hold my tongue," has taught me how to insult people in ways that they don't really know that they are being insulted. It makes me feel better and they haven't a clue.

• Funny 1

[V_V_V]
Members
806 posts
16,022 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I do tend to wonder about chat bans. I sometimes am pretty snarky in chat myself. However, I've never received even a 24-hour chat ban. A lifetime in the military and civilian public service, including education, where I had to "hold my tongue," has taught me how to insult people in ways that they don't really know that they are being insulted. It makes me feel better and they haven't a clue.

Lol, would you care to share that with the class?

• Funny 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
2 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

My team was killing the reds, and their Nelson had somehow worked his way into a position where his stern was 90 degrees to B cap. I said "when all your turrets are the front, it's always a great idea to spend the entire battle with your [edited]pointed at the enemy." At the end I said I'd compliment him for doing as much to help my team win as I had. He is a super unicum player from a purple clan. The most offensive word I used was 3 letters long and starts with 'a'. He sent in a ticket.

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,387 battles
6 minutes ago, legozer said:

My team was killing the reds, and their Nelson had somehow worked his way into a position where his stern was 90 degrees to B cap. I said "when all your turrets are the front, it's always a great idea to spend the entire battle with your [edited]pointed at the enemy." At the end I said I'd compliment him for doing as much to help my team win as I had. He is a super unicum player from a purple clan. The most offensive word I used was 3 letters long and starts with 'a'. He sent in a ticket.

that is definitely not enough to get you a chat ban

my guess is you said something last night or the night before, someone sent a ticket, and just so happened that after that battle the ticket finally got processed

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
Just now, jason199506 said:

that is definitely not enough to get you a chat ban

my guess is you said something last night or the night before, someone sent a ticket, and just so happened that after that battle the ticket finally got processed

Nope. I won't discuss it in any detail, but I appealed it and was given clarification.

Members
1,633 posts
1,286 battles
48 minutes ago, legozer said:

I'm sure there's been more said in other battles. Any time I get a prolonged chat ban, WG sends me a long list of my rage from numerous battles.

[NH]
Members
1,792 posts
6 hours ago, legozer said:

Nope. I won't discuss it in any detail, but I appealed it and was given clarification.

The (R) at the end means somebody's life is so sad that they filed a WG ticket. It will say ban by complaints if it was from the old ez mode right click report. I've learned as a CV player never say a word because often you have queued up reports already that trigger the chat ban from salty people who dont like taking damage. If you do say something only talk once as the next message is what triggers the auto ban from player in game reports. Once the round ends the trigger doesn't happen in the next game. Its awful that I have to use these survival skills just for playing CVs.

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles

The level of play lasted about 32 hours, and the best ranked out. It's now complete garbage. The taters always take everything over.

I regret not pushing to rank out when there were good games to be had. I've learned a hard lesson.

Edited by legozer

[WOLF2]
Members
314 posts
18,169 battles

On 5/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, Skuggsja said:

My experience in Rank 5 and 4 has been horrible. I keep seeing these KOTS level players (from clan tags) doing horrible. I really thought these guys would be leading the way or putting on a good show but it's anything but. 

4 hours ago, legozer said:

The level of play lasted about 32 hours, and the best ranked out. It's now complete garbage. The taters always take everything over.

I regret not pushing to rank out when there were good games to be had. I've learned a hard lesson.

Why you people think that way, it's all the same, all boring games where Atlantas duck behind the mountains firing rainbow all the way. Nobody moves, nobody blinks.