You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Newly Minted T5 plays mostly what Tiers (MM ?)

16 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
Members
1,437 posts
15,772 battles

Just got the T5 Russian lightweight cruiser (Miko-yawn). Almost all games so far are tier 5-7. I thought there was a calibration for new ships with MM. Well, MM should see that I am getting blown to heaven by any cruiser I come up against trying to protect our DDs on the pertinent side of the map. Is MM impressed yet ? Or ? Cruiser role is to protect DDs on that side as they head for cap. Does not matter what tier, but this ship does not last long at all. Also having lots of trouble landing shots, although the graphics rendition says they were hit well. Splash clears, no hits about 1/2 the time. Never seen that before.

• Confused 1

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

Have you played more than 20 games in any T5 ship?  if so, you should be calibrated and no more than 40% of games being bottom tier.

Members
3,140 posts
584 battles

I found that the best way to play that ship is to not ever play it....

(But if you must, play COOP and grind the credit earning soviet cruiser missions)

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,437 posts
15,772 battles

I don't think T5 plays against T4 (or T3 either). At least I haven't in my T5.

[WPORT]
Members
6,600 posts
11,605 battles

T-5 ships can see opponents of Tier-4, Tier-5 and Tier-6.

I've faced several T-5 ships while playing T-4 CV's.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

T-5 ships can see opponents of Tier-4, Tier-5 and Tier-6.

I've faced several T-5 ships while playing T-4 CV's.

Tier V ships can be placed in tier V, VI, or VII games.

Tier V games are restricted to tiers 4-5, because tier III has protected (+/-1) MM.

Tier VI games are restricted to tiers 5-6, because tier IV also has protected MM (+/-1).

Tier VII games can include ships of tiers 5-7.

TLDR: Tier V (as well as tier VI) has +2/-1 MM, in contrast to the +/-2 MM you see at higher tiers.

8 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Just got the T5 Russian lightweight cruiser (Miko-yawn). Almost all games so far are tier 5-7. I thought there was a calibration for new ships with MM. Well, MM should see that I am getting blown to heaven by any cruiser I come up against trying to protect our DDs on the pertinent side of the map. Is MM impressed yet ? Or ? Cruiser role is to protect DDs on that side as they head for cap. Does not matter what tier, but this ship does not last long at all. Also having lots of trouble landing shots, although the graphics rendition says they were hit well. Splash clears, no hits about 1/2 the time. Never seen that before.

After you play 20 games at a given tier, your MM will be finished calibrating. Once this has occurred, MM will maintain a rolling account of your 20 most recent battles and ensure you will not be bottom tier more than 40% of the time (barring queue dumps). However, this may be a bit wonky for tier V ships because they are technically bottom tier in both tier VI and VII games (2/3 of their spread) due to tier IV having protected MM. I would not be surprised if the matchmaker only considers tier VII games (-2 MM) bottom tier for tier V.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Confused 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,176 posts
24,541 battles
5 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Tier V can no longer play Tier III, that hasn't been possible for years now.  But they can on occasion still play against Tier IV.  Just don't bank on it.

Members
220 posts
1,122 battles

As a Noob, I am playing my three nations (Japan, US, and France) at Tier IV.

I have both read about and experienced the matchmaking at Tier IV. 

• Tier IV ships can be matched with Tier III - V.  A Tier IV ship will never see a Tier VI ship.
  • Tier III ships can be matched with Tier II - IV.

I have just one Tier V tech tree ship and I have seen Tiers IV - VI.  I don't think I have seen a Tier VII ship, but I know that is possible.  From what I have read and heard Tier V is the first 'unprotected' tier.  So, your 'unprotected' unprotected cruiser sees -1/+2 (IV - VII) matchmaking - which is the worst possible matchmaking in the game.  Still, the experience is not too bad.  You get more XP for damaging and sinking higher tiered enemy anyway.

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
4,088 posts
15,956 battles
39 minutes ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

As a Noob, I am playing my three nations (Japan, US, and France) at Tier IV.

I have both read about and experienced the matchmaking at Tier IV. 

• Tier IV ships can be matched with Tier III - V.  A Tier IV ship will never see a Tier VI ship.
  • Tier III ships can be matched with Tier II - IV.

I have just one Tier V tech tree ship and I have seen Tiers IV - VI.  I don't think I have seen a Tier VII ship, but I know that is possible.  From what I have read and heard Tier V is the first 'unprotected' tier.  So, your 'unprotected' unprotected cruiser sees -1/+2 (IV - VII) matchmaking - which is the worst possible matchmaking in the game.  Still, the experience is not too bad.  You get more XP for damaging and sinking higher tiered enemy anyway.

You're absolutely right. 

Also, if you'd like some guides that might help you a bit, please see the info copied below. 

Good luck!

For new players, I recommend the following nations and tech tree branches as easy to learn and to play: 

• Destroyers: American destroyers are the easiest to play - their fast firing guns, and torpedoes on both sides (at low tier) means that its a fast, fun run-and-gun style, with great smoke screens.  They are very forgiving - rush in, gun enemy destroyers, and if you win and live, then rush up to a battleship and shove him up with torps... once you get more experience, you can do all of those things better, faster, longer etc. 
  • Cruisers: French cruisers are probably the easiest to play at low-mid tiers. Load HE, shoot slow targets at near your max range to set them on fire - when they repair those fires, set more.  Dodge incoming shells (particularly from battleships) by slamming into full reverse and throwing the rudder over into a hard turn - then accelerate away again before the next salvo comes.  Use your long-range torpedos to shoot down narrow alleys where the enemy is coming from - sometimes you'll get a hit, and it'll be great. More fires!
    • DO NOT start on the British Light Cruiser line (ending in Minotaur) - these ships take detailed understanding and experience of the game mechanics in order to play; things like target selection, map positioning, map awareness, spotting mechanics, AP bounce and shatter mechanics, smoke screens, fire detection range in smoke, sonar and torpedo aim all to be functional. Experienced players even struggle with this line.  Steer clear.  
  • Battleships
    • British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
    • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 
    • French: Low tier these ships arent anything special; however, by mid tier they become multi-barrelled shotguns and by T8+ they become (less armoured) speed demons - a truly varied line that might help you determine what kind of ship you like playing. I found them fun.  
  • Aircraft carriers: Personally, I suggest avoiding them entirely for now - they are very different to play and hard to do well at.  However, as a general principle Royal Navy carriers are easier to play but less impactful on the battle - seek out enemy ships that have just used DCP in order to set lots of fires that stick.  Japanese carriers do far more direct damage with their AP bombs and heavier torpedo plane squadrons, but they are harder to play and you need to understand AP bomb pen mechanics and search for citadels. USN carriers are somewhere in between - see iChase's video guide to get a grasp of the basics.  

Once you have a few more battles under your belt, I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!
  • Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,384 posts
20,933 battles
8 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

After you play 20 games at a given tier, your MM will be finished calibrating. Once this has occurred, MM will maintain a rolling account of your 20 most recent battles

IIRC the 20 battles count is by single ship, not by tier.

[_BDA_]
Members
394 posts
6,210 battles
9 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Tier V games are restricted to tiers 4-5, because tier III has protected (+/-1) MM.

Tier VI games are restricted to tiers 5-6, because tier IV also has protected MM (+/-1).

TLDR: Tier V (as well as tier VI) has +2/-1 MM, in contrast to the +/-2 MM you see at higher tiers.

After you play 20 games at a given tier, your MM will be finished calibrating. Once this has occurred, MM will maintain a rolling account of your 20 most recent battles and ensure you will not be bottom tier more than 40% of the time (barring queue dumps). However, this may be a bit wonky for tier V ships because they are technically bottom tier in both tier VI and VII games (2/3 of their spread) due to tier IV having protected MM. I would not be surprised if the matchmaker only considers tier VII games (-2 MM) bottom tier for tier V.

If this is true, how do you explain my Konigsberg in battle with a pair of Tier III St. Louis class cruisers?  Divisions?

[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
12 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

If this is true, how do you explain my Konigsberg in battle with a pair of Tier III St. Louis class cruisers?  Divisions?

This was most likely what is referred to as a “fail division.” Basically, all ships in a division have the same MM as the highest tier ship in the division. In this case, I would expect these tier III cruisers were in a division with a tier IV ship, and thus were rendered eligible to be placed in a tier V match.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,559 posts
8,151 battles
10 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

What? 

Tier V ships can see Tier IV, V, VI, or VII opponents.

Tier VI ships can see Tier V, VI, VII, and VIII opponents.

Tier VII ships can see Tier V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX opponents.

In addition then Tier IX has +1/-2 matchmaking for reasons that are readily apparent, and Tier X has 0/-2 matchmaking for the same reason.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
4 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

What? 

Tier V ships can see Tier IV, V, VI, or VII opponents.

Tier VI ships can see Tier V, VI, VII, and VIII opponents.

Tier VII ships can see Tier V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX opponents.

In addition then Tier IX has +1/-2 matchmaking for reasons that are readily apparent, and Tier X has 0/-2 matchmaking for the same reason.

Yes. A “Tier x” game is a game where tier “x”  (a variable, not the numeral) is top tier. If I take my Exeter out and I am matched against Scharnhorsts and Myokos, I am in a tier VII game. Thus, tier V can see tier V, VI, and VII games (which is +2/-1 MM due to the fact that tier III has protected MM and cannot see tier Vs, just as tier IVs cannot see tier VIs) and tier VII can see tier VII, VIII, and IX games (which is +/-2 MM). And you are correct that not all high tiers have +/-2 MM, but tier VII and VIII do, which are higher tiers than V and VI.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,559 posts
8,151 battles
25 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Yes. A “Tier x” game is a game where tier “x”  (a variable, not the numeral) is top tier. If I take my Exeter out and I am matched against Scharnhorsts and Myokos, I am in a tier VII game. Thus, tier V can see tier V, VI, and VII games (which is +2/-1 MM due to the fact that tier III has protected MM and cannot see tier Vs, just as tier IVs cannot see tier VIs) and tier VII can see tier VII, VIII, and IX games (which is +/-2 MM). And you are correct that not all high tiers have +/-2 MM, but tier VII and VIII do, which are higher tiers than V and VI.

Oh I understand what you're saying now. :cap_like: