Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RLBell

The park benches on French ship models

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1
[SRPH]
Members
7 posts
11,303 battles

Many of the French ships have what look like park benches on the main deck.  However, many of them do not. It might be that French ships only had these benches, if they served in an area with clement weather, like the Mediterranean Sea.  What casts doubt on that theory is the complete absence of benches on the Italian ships.  The easiest found images on the internet do not have the detail to show off these benches, so I have to ask:

Did these benches actually exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,259
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,191 posts
14,756 battles

WG must have pictures of them as with their fanaticism on the models being correct and I am guessing it was a French peach time thing and that they would be removed at the outset of war.

 

Edited by BrushWolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,452
[REVY]
Members
8,099 posts
6,118 battles
34 minutes ago, RLBell said:

Many of the French ships have what look like park benches on the main deck.  However, many of them do not. It might be that French ships only had these benches, if they served in an area with clement weather, like the Mediterranean Sea.  What casts doubt on that theory is the complete absence of benches on the Italian ships.  The easiest found images on the internet do not have the detail to show off these benches, so I have to ask:

Did these benches actually exist?

Here are benches on a Brazilian Battleship.  I don't see why the absence of benches on Italian ships means these benches didn't exist.

Deck_scene_aboard_Minas_Geraes.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,275
[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

I looked a bit through my folders, and could only gather this one from Algerie in the little time I took:

image.thumb.png.a714445ca9031ff02328f9ec2b8ab579.png

I think that what you see in the center of that pic is a bench.

Generally speaking a thing like a park bench would not even be the most absurd thing equipped on a warship. The ice cream machine on USS Tennessee was almost as large as two boiler rooms, and larger ships would also usually have things like barber stores and equipment for workout on board. The crew would like at least some feeling of normality on board. Sitting on a bench watching the sunset can do wonders in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,452
[REVY]
Members
8,099 posts
6,118 battles
12 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Generally speaking a thing like a park bench would not even be the most absurd thing equipped on a warship. 

Yeah some people like to chillax, even in war.  And benches are not that expensive, probably a single shell from a Battleship gun costs more to fire then the cost of one park bench.

(Captain Langsdorff relaxing under the torpedo launcher on the Pocket  Battleship Graf Spee)

1939_00_00_langsdorff_amalia.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,307
[WORX]
Members
11,457 posts
19,196 battles

That is not all, on some French ships on the fantail, you can see a heart shape visual out of steel...

Sooo France...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,855 posts
9,179 battles

Maybe the French and Italians should have taken park benches off their ships. Don't see too many benches on British, German, US and Japanese ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
115
[REBCO]
Members
347 posts
3,910 battles
On 5/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, Sventex said:

Yeah some people like to chillax, even in war.  And benches are not that expensive, probably a single shell from a Battleship gun costs more to fire then the cost of one park bench.

(Captain Langsdorff relaxing under the torpedo launcher on the Pocket  Battleship Graf Spee)

1939_00_00_langsdorff_amalia.jpg

Launch Torps!!!! Take that guys head off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
965
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,301 posts
12,978 battles

As to why the benches might be on French ships, and not on Italian ships

The French had small overseas holdings outside the Mediterranean, basically all over the planet. Habitability would have been a concern for the French operating so far from France itself, so some creature comforts may have been in order.

Italy on the other hand, had Ethiopia eventually, with the rest of their holdings being in the Mediterranean. Being that close it was probably fairly easy to dry dock the ships in Italy, and get shore leave whenever that happened. The Italians did build their ships to be lived aboard, unlike Germany and Austria-Hungary before and during WWI, so it would have been pretty nice to be an Italian sailor.

You might have seen benches on Royal Navy ships, if the RN had been inclined to go that way. Instead, they just tolerated poor living conditions and ran wet ships (and we're not talking water).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×