You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

How to win in Ranked

28 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles

Most people in ranked even up to rank 10 really have no understanding of how to win nor any sense of strategy. 

The main problems are this: the whole team lemmings either all to 1 side, and then sits behind a rock while losing B cap, then dies before the opponent, then does nothing again as the team dies. 

I always head off the lemming by going either slow or towards the opposite flank and I'm usually last to die, and more very often the one that doesn't lose the star. 

But this has gone on long enough. Let's make a thread here on all the things we want to tell people to win games and stop wasting time. Enough wasting 20 more minutes of my life in Ranked. 

If you are very successful in ranked, or otherwise a Unicom and would like to share some tips, let's create a one stop place for people to "get a clue". 

Post away: How to win in Ranked? 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles

I'll start with this as a video option: 

---

What simple things do we want everyone to know? What simple things will you do to fix a team who obviously has no clue? 

Our goal is to win faster and win more and win often, preferably with the help of the randomized teammates. 

• Cool 1

[TAFFY]
Members
136 posts
13,621 battles

my strategy is simple... i stick to randoms

every time i get to rank 10 i just stop winning, and frankly, im tired of it

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles
8 minutes ago, vallonzek said:

Don't post if you're not providing help for this instance. The thread is clearly marked Ranked. 

(Much as I heavily agree. This is not the right place for opinions without action.)

Edited by BlailBlerg
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 2

[DIEBL]
Members
640 posts
8,416 battles

My PC is zonks so don’t get to enjoy my favorite tier for ranked since won’t have a new PC til fathers day, but generally one of the following two options...

1) Play a ship I can carry with in the first 8 minutes (BB or DPM cruiser), then do my job.

2) Play a ship I can carry in after the 8 minute mark (DD or flexible cruiser) and live long enough to do my job.

Failing at these two options means I’m relying on someone else on my team to do the above and just soaking a win rather than actively winning.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
11,381 posts
19,183 battles

So far what I've seen in Rank that create loses

• High caliber ships failing to produce.
  • High armor ships conceding territory to the red fleet
  • Not capping, becausee high caliber ships failed at sinking or scaring away ships with their presence/guns.
  • Losing the BB adv. against the red fleet.
  • Bad positioning for your ship
  • Not adapting to the tactics presented..
  • Map awareness.

Sometimes people just play in a way that doesn't make sense... You still have to adapt to the situation.

There is also a correlation between OP ships and the games needed to Rank out. Accounts that use OP ships are going to Rank out with less games then using a regular tech ship.

Normally it takes 120-150 to Rank out... This number changes based on

• Ship used.
    • Regular or Premium
    • Low caliber ships or high caliber ships
  • And the ability of the player to pull a win against all odds.

Its been that way since the first Ranked season... The formula or the based conditions/rules haven't change a bit...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[FAE]
Members
2,616 posts
3,631 battles
9 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Sometimes people just play in a way that doesn't make sense...

only sometimes? lol. id say 90% of the time. 

[WORX]
Members
11,381 posts
19,183 battles
Just now, BlailBlerg said:

only sometimes? lol. id say 90% of the time. 

Depends on time of your play session... I cant put a percentage on it because it will vary from person to person's session of play...

Members
59 posts
8,925 battles

How does Ranked differ from a Random battle ? There is less ships right ? Only tier 7 though. Its still played basically the same .... get the bases & defeat the other team. I think too many players go after a ship sinking instead of playing it smart. They will expose them selves too much in order to try for a kill ! Much like Random play the word team seldom enters 75% of players minds !  

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,205 battles
53 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

So far what I've seen in Rank that create loses

• High caliber ships failing to produce.
  • High armor ships conceding territory to the red fleet
  • Not capping, becausee high caliber ships failed at sinking or scaring away ships with their presence/guns.
  • Losing the BB adv. against the red fleet.
  • Bad positioning for your ship
  • Not adapting to the tactics presented..
  • Map awareness.

Sometimes people just play in a way that doesn't make sense... You still have to adapt to the situation.

There is also a correlation between OP ships and the games needed to Rank out. Accounts that use OP ships are going to Rank out with less games then using a regular tech ship.

Normally it takes 120-150 to Rank out... This number changes based on

• Ship used.
    • Regular or Premium
    • Low caliber ships or high caliber ships
  • And the ability of the player to pull a win against all odds.

Its been that way since the first Ranked season... The formula or the based conditions/rules haven't change a bit...

no power creep in this one? or human achievement?

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
11,381 posts
19,183 battles
18 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

no power creep in this one? or human achievement?

Na, Its not the 07 clan training manual on how to win the 2019 KOTS tourney...

But if you insist on seeing the Power creep or Human Achievement POV... It would be points 1 and 4 of my OP...

Its also under the last bullet of the post (at the bottom)... The Power creep element would be Tech or Premium ship use..

GL

Edited by Navalpride33

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,205 battles
29 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Na, Its not the 07 clan training manual on how to win the 2019 KOTS tourney...

But if you insist on seeing the Power creep or Human Achievement POV... It would be points 1 and 4 of my OP...

Its also under the last bullet of the post (at the bottom)... The Power creep element would be Tech or Premium ship use..

GL

but the op premiums belfast, atlanta, flint, z39 have been out for years so is it really power creep?

[WORX]
Members
11,381 posts
19,183 battles
1 minute ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

but the op premiums belfast, atlanta, flint, z39 have been out for years so is it really power creep?

-Victims of power creep. Yes.

At date of release, the mentioned ships were OP...

Now, High caliber ships and policy changes have made their guns worthless against +2MM

Consumable wise ?? Very OP against lil boats...

(cant comment on the Z, this applies to the ATL and the Payfest).

• Boring 1

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,348 battles

for BB: blap cruisers

for cruisers: choose something with radar and blap DDs(preferably belfast or atlanta. indianapolis DPM is too low to blap a DD in one radar)

DD: cap and not die(not dying is more important imo)

if you can do these, you'll win

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
391 posts
12,793 battles

As the computer WOPR said in the movie War Games,  the only way to win is not to play the game.  How about a nice game of Chess?

• Cool 1

Members
6,729 posts
21,137 battles

Be really good

Be really good and drop sync

Be really good and play OP ships or DD

Be good and catch a few breaks or drop sync

Be good or decent and grind and play strong ships

Be good at playing with and against your own team, be able to discern quickly when to cut bait and farm xp.

Be decent and grind and grind. 

Because I am an Idiot I always start out ranked with lofty dreams of ranking out in ships that others won't play, that has brought me to a wr of 35% in Cruisers and BB's. After another chat ban and nerd raging about horrific dd play I started playing dd's and am North of 60%. If you can play DD well, play it. There is to great a chance that the dd's in front of you may terrible and to much of a risk.

[YIKES]
Members
53 posts
12,457 battles

after yeras of intense study and over 1000 ranked game i have found that the best way to win in rankd is to not lose. work everytime

• Funny 1

[FML]
Members
4,087 posts
15,956 battles
8 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Let's make a thread here on all the things we want to tell people to win games and stop wasting time. Enough wasting 20 more minutes of my life in Ranked. 

If you are very successful in ranked, or otherwise a Unicom and would like to share some tips, let's create a one stop place for people to "get a clue". 

Post away: How to win in Ranked? 

Frankly, its the same advice I give to new players for random battles.  Perhaps because these thoughts were forged in the heat of ranked battle, and they tend to work for me.  I have copied them below - hopefully it is helpful to someone. 

Ultimately, being able to read the maps and anticipate what the enemy is going to do is very challenging for new players - it will simply come with experience.  

Still, there are a few key points that you can apply early on that can hurry up this learning process: 

• Recognise whether you are on the 'strong flank' or the 'weak flank'.  In almost all WoWS battles, your team will split up unevenly - about 1/3 will go one way (lets say towards Capture Point A) and 2/3 will go the other way (lets say to Capture Point C).  Within the first minute of the battle, see if you can work out if you are on the strong of the weak side of your team.  
  • Similarly, recognise whether the enemy in front of you is either strong or weak.  Just as your team broke up unevenly, so did the enemy team. 
    • Also, in addition to absolute numbers, pay attention to their composition including type and tier - for example, are all their high tier battleships on one side, but with no destroyer or cruiser support? This could be a delicious hunting ground if you are a destroyer, and your grave if you are a bottom-tier battleship. 
    • This is where 'spotting' the enemy team to see where they are early on is very important - this is typically the job of destroyers and aircraft carriers.  But a destroyer who gets good spotting in early is at extreme risk of being killed by the enemy team.  Keeping your destroyers alive to late battle is far, far stronger and more important than rushing in at the start - so you need to be close enough to give them supporting fire but not expose yourself to too much return fire.  Its a delicate balancing act.  
  • IF you are on the strong flank and you are facing the enemy's weak flank, and you have an interest in winning, then you have an obligation to push your flank to defeat the enemy on your side of the map - before the enemy can wipe out your teammates on the far side of the map.  Once you have defeated the enemy locally, mid-battle move towards the centre of the map to support your team on the far side of the map - try to shoot at the enemy from the side and rear.  
    • If you are going to do something aggressive, like push a flank, I've always found announcing what you are going to do in team chat (green - not the white global chat!) about 30 seconds to a minute in advance can help garner some support.  Not always, though, and relying on your team to perform critical tasks as always a hiding to nothing (see LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your winrate for further guidance). 
  • IF you are on the weak flank and you are facing the enemy's strong flank, then DO NOT PUSH the enemy - they will focus fire you and melt you down quickly.  Instead, you should try to turn away and 'kite' them (see some later posts in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for a longer description on kiting the enemy).  
    • Your primary job is to keep the main enemy force occupied and to slow them down so that you buy time for your strong flank to defeat the enemy on the far side of the map, then they can come and help you out late battle.  This can be hard to do and takes a lot of practice.  Also, I've found letting your team - politely - know in chat that the enemy is strong on your side of the map and they should immediately push harder on the far flank can help.  
  • IF you and the enemy are evenly matched - whether strong/strong or weak/weak, the outcome of the battle is usually determined through personal skill of the players involved. 
  • Regardless of the situation you are in, there are important things you can do to help your side win: 
    • Shoot weakened ships until they are killed - an enemy on 1% health still shoots back with 100% firepower, can spot you and your team for their teammates to shoot you, and each enemy ship alive is worth points that could result in their victory even as the fighting rages on. 
    • Focus fire - if your teammates are shooting an enemy ship, then you should shoot at it too even if it doesnt present the best target for you.  This is to knock out as many enemy ships as fast as possible, which preserves your own team's HP for later (when it is more important) and can have a psychological impact on the enemy team, who may turn defensive instead of pushing you.  
    • Always shoot at a spotted enemy destroyer - these stealthy ships can run the entire battle undetected but have few hitpoints; shoot at them so they are more concerned about their own survival rather than lining up you or your teammate as their next victim.  
    • Never be alone - enemy carriers and destroyers (in particular) see a lonely enemy ship as simply food.  Even the mightiest battleship alone will still die surprisingly quickly.  This is a team game, so sticking together and working as part of a team is most likely to result in success. 
    • Controlled aggression is the key to winning this game - getting the balance right between taking risks, and when to hold your fire to: get out of the hot spotlight and heal up; remain undetected and slip behind enemy lines; or wait until the enemy is committed to a turn before shooting at an exposed broadside to get maximum damage. Camping at the back loses battles.  Rushing into the middle of the map at the start of battles with no exit plan (particularly as a cruiser) gets you killed and loses battles just the same.
      • On that note, always having an exit plan ready to go before you start shooting at a new enemy is a really helpful way to rapidly build map awareness - typically this involves deciding which island to turn behind to keep you safe from enemy fire, but could mean you need to start turning your guns around before you start firing.  Planning ahead saves lives!  
  • Cool 2

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,572 battles
  1. Don't overextend
  2. Don't yolo
  3. Use chat meaningfully (and if your ranked winrate is bad, stop acting superior, it's always the weak players doing this)
  4. Don't ball up in a lemming train (this is so pervasive for some reason)
    1. Crossfires win games. Not deathballs
  5. Play the objectives

Those 5 will get you way above most players.

[NFJF]
Members
693 posts
10,365 battles

Surprisingly for me, my go to has been shiratsuyu with torpedo reload booster. I must admit, its sort of like russian roulette because there's always the risk of being caught in the open with no way to escape, or pop smoke. However, I've found its great for area denial, and forcing BBs that want to hide behind islands out into the open to be focus fired. Also, while most defiantly not a gun boat, she can finish off the last hp on other DDs or reset caps with her guns. I actually had thought z39 would be a good choice too, but haven't had anywhere near as good of results as I've had with shiratsuyu. 

Beta Testers
1,669 posts
8,895 battles

Protect your DDs, kill the enemy DDs. 

At the end of the game, you don't want your constantly backing up Sinop to be the only one against the enemy team's Haida. 

Kill enemy radar cruisers. Don't plink at the Sinop all game doing nothing while the rest of your team gets kited or your DDs get radar'd to death. 

Popular opinion: I can save a star by just doing a lot of damage. WRONG. If you spend all game just trying to rack up damage while you ignore the objectives you will not only fail to win, you'll also not save your star. 

Use the chat. Its there for a reason. Communicate with your team. 

Don't Yolo.

Members
2,352 posts
32,360 battles

I think the best way to do it is to have a BB, CL, and DD work as a group.  Obviously depends on make up of the team.  Have 2 groups go the A and C caps for crossfire, and also because the other team often lemmings to 1 cap.  That way you get and easy cap.  Then squeeze 'em.  

The three ships form an ideal offensive or defensive team that can usually do well working together.   Just doesn't happen very often.  But when it does they usually roll right through.

[YO-BR]
Members
82 posts
7,953 battles
On 5/25/2020 at 2:57 AM, vallonzek said:

I agree!!!
It is impossible, there are many people who don't have any idea of strategy, or, they keep hiding waiting some magician hapeens...

[LZ1]
Members
286 posts
6,129 battles
On 5/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, UltimateNewbie said:

Frankly, its the same advice I give to new players for random battles.  Perhaps because these thoughts were forged in the heat of ranked battle, and they tend to work for me.  I have copied them below - hopefully it is helpful to someone. 

Ultimately, being able to read the maps and anticipate what the enemy is going to do is very challenging for new players - it will simply come with experience.  

Still, there are a few key points that you can apply early on that can hurry up this learning process: 

• Recognise whether you are on the 'strong flank' or the 'weak flank'.  In almost all WoWS battles, your team will split up unevenly - about 1/3 will go one way (lets say towards Capture Point A) and 2/3 will go the other way (lets say to Capture Point C).  Within the first minute of the battle, see if you can work out if you are on the strong of the weak side of your team.  
  • Similarly, recognise whether the enemy in front of you is either strong or weak.  Just as your team broke up unevenly, so did the enemy team. 
    • Also, in addition to absolute numbers, pay attention to their composition including type and tier - for example, are all their high tier battleships on one side, but with no destroyer or cruiser support? This could be a delicious hunting ground if you are a destroyer, and your grave if you are a bottom-tier battleship. 
    • This is where 'spotting' the enemy team to see where they are early on is very important - this is typically the job of destroyers and aircraft carriers.  But a destroyer who gets good spotting in early is at extreme risk of being killed by the enemy team.  Keeping your destroyers alive to late battle is far, far stronger and more important than rushing in at the start - so you need to be close enough to give them supporting fire but not expose yourself to too much return fire.  Its a delicate balancing act.  
  • IF you are on the strong flank and you are facing the enemy's weak flank, and you have an interest in winning, then you have an obligation to push your flank to defeat the enemy on your side of the map - before the enemy can wipe out your teammates on the far side of the map.  Once you have defeated the enemy locally, mid-battle move towards the centre of the map to support your team on the far side of the map - try to shoot at the enemy from the side and rear.  
    • If you are going to do something aggressive, like push a flank, I've always found announcing what you are going to do in team chat (green - not the white global chat!) about 30 seconds to a minute in advance can help garner some support.  Not always, though, and relying on your team to perform critical tasks as always a hiding to nothing (see LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your winrate for further guidance). 
  • IF you are on the weak flank and you are facing the enemy's strong flank, then DO NOT PUSH the enemy - they will focus fire you and melt you down quickly.  Instead, you should try to turn away and 'kite' them (see some later posts in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for a longer description on kiting the enemy).  
    • Your primary job is to keep the main enemy force occupied and to slow them down so that you buy time for your strong flank to defeat the enemy on the far side of the map, then they can come and help you out late battle.  This can be hard to do and takes a lot of practice.  Also, I've found letting your team - politely - know in chat that the enemy is strong on your side of the map and they should immediately push harder on the far flank can help.  
  • IF you and the enemy are evenly matched - whether strong/strong or weak/weak, the outcome of the battle is usually determined through personal skill of the players involved. 
  • Regardless of the situation you are in, there are important things you can do to help your side win: 
    • Shoot weakened ships until they are killed - an enemy on 1% health still shoots back with 100% firepower, can spot you and your team for their teammates to shoot you, and each enemy ship alive is worth points that could result in their victory even as the fighting rages on. 
    • Focus fire - if your teammates are shooting an enemy ship, then you should shoot at it too even if it doesnt present the best target for you.  This is to knock out as many enemy ships as fast as possible, which preserves your own team's HP for later (when it is more important) and can have a psychological impact on the enemy team, who may turn defensive instead of pushing you.  
    • Always shoot at a spotted enemy destroyer - these stealthy ships can run the entire battle undetected but have few hitpoints; shoot at them so they are more concerned about their own survival rather than lining up you or your teammate as their next victim.  
    • Never be alone - enemy carriers and destroyers (in particular) see a lonely enemy ship as simply food.  Even the mightiest battleship alone will still die surprisingly quickly.  This is a team game, so sticking together and working as part of a team is most likely to result in success. 
    • Controlled aggression is the key to winning this game - getting the balance right between taking risks, and when to hold your fire to: get out of the hot spotlight and heal up; remain undetected and slip behind enemy lines; or wait until the enemy is committed to a turn before shooting at an exposed broadside to get maximum damage. Camping at the back loses battles.  Rushing into the middle of the map at the start of battles with no exit plan (particularly as a cruiser) gets you killed and loses battles just the same.
      • On that note, always having an exit plan ready to go before you start shooting at a new enemy is a really helpful way to rapidly build map awareness - typically this involves deciding which island to turn behind to keep you safe from enemy fire, but could mean you need to start turning your guns around before you start firing.  Planning ahead saves lives!  

I was going to write a detailed response until I scanned down a bit and found this. The above is just about as good as it gets and *particularly* the last section. That goes double for CONTROLLED AGGRESSION.

In my opinion the reason most teams lose is because half or more of the team plays conservatively and then the aggressive players get picked off/focused and then the timid players are outnumbered by the time they think it's time to get going and actually confront the enemy team. Overwhelming fire and focused fire is key.

• Cool 1