You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Stepping up: Quick Notes on New Ships. Premium T5 Cruiser Mikoyan.

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,745 posts
15,788 battles

I picked this ship up for free as part of the Soviet Cruisers pre-release event in patch 0.9.4, in which it constituted the prize for completing all directives. It dropped into my port on 24 May 2020, and I played a bunch of co-op battles in it to get used to the ship and unlock event tokens which potentially lead to further prizes. I felt content to judge her on the basis of this, since it's the mode in which I would be most likely to play her. It comes with a permacamo giving standard bonuses for the tier, and a second one with the same bonuses but a very different look was given out as part of the event.

ORIGINS:

Mikoyan is a paper ship (a design study or blueprint never built in steel), which according to Wargaming was a developmental stage leading to the existing tech-tree cruiser (soon to be Premium in 0.9.5) Kirov. She has 21,000 hit points in contrast to Kirov's 26,200 (with the B hull), or 23,400 in the stock state. She also lacks one 180mm main gun out of each of the three turrets (A-B-X arrangement), making her a six-gun ship to the Kirov's nine; and although I thought I had remembered Kirov's torpedoes having a 5km range when compared to Mikoyan's 4km, it appears I either remembered wrong or the Kirov's torps were nerfed at some stage. Both ships therefore have (at the time of writing) an identical torpedo armament of one triple launcher on each side.

Mikoyan also loses 100m on the main gun range, but as compensation she gets a spotter plane (identical to that found on Budyonny) that extends her range to a shade over 19km. It's active for 100 seconds with a down-time of FOUR MINUTES and comes with four charges (five if the captain has the Superintendent skill). However, given the active and cooldown durations, it's unlikely you'll even get through four in a 20 minute game unless you have Jack of All Trades and the November Foxtrot flag (and maybe not even then). The guns themselves have a reload of 13.2 seconds. The 180 degree turn time is 22.5 seconds, but since she turns like a three-legged pig on valium, you're not going to out-turn your own guns in a hurry.

The guns themselves are pretty capable, although I had a couple of troll games where I couldn't seem to land a decent hit. AP overpenetrations on thin-skinned cruisers were a terrible problem, but when those shells found citadels they did well. It wasn't just the AP either. This ship sees Tier 4 from time to time, and very flimsy cruisers such as the Danae can eat cits from Mikoyan HE shells.

Worst of all, so will the Mikoyan herself. That's right; this is an example of that unpleasant breed of ship that can't stand up to her own armament. I citadelled a bot Mikoyan through the face, which was extremely scary since I was engaged in a nose-on fight with it at the time. I don't need to tell you how fragile this makes her. The same bot Danae that I HE-citadelled repeatedly took large chunks out of me with her AP when I was forced to show side, and even Emeralds faced with a Mikoyan will salivate at the chance to make a meal of her. Being Russian, she makes a long and inviting target, especially since she can't rectify the problem of accidental shown-side very quickly. Expose yourself to something like a Leander or Fiji, with its short-fuze AP unlikely to overpen you, and I reckon you're done for in a salvo or two.

One good thing about the Mikoyan is her speed; she can get up to 35.5kt without any enhancements, and a Sierra Mike flag will have you doing 37.3kt. That's great for getting you into position or running away, but it also helps you overextend. You need to watch where you're going, because with Russian cruiser speeds and (lack of) agility, it's very easy to get into situations where you can run straight out of a cap you're trying to take, or into an island if you don't react to the proximity warning immediately. Position is life; and if you position poorly and the enemy is paying attention, your fragility will ensure a quick trip back to port.

FURTHER NOTES:

With her progenitor the Kirov about to become a premium soon, hopefully to receive the same stats as she does when fully upgraded in the tech tree, I'm not sure I see a place for this ship. Her spotter plane is a neat gimmick, which might count for something in Randoms but in co-op has the potential to get you killed because bot return fire shows uncanny and often untimely accuracy. I have seen Mikoyans do very well even when they are Tier 5 in a Tier 7 battle, and they can be extremely annoying to battleships if they can achieve a good firing position.

It's worth noting that she outranges a stock Sinop even without her spotter, and with it up she outranges even a fully buffed one as well as many higher-tier battleships. It's perhaps fortunate that she's a T5, because a division with a same-tier carrier to spot long-range targets for her could be very nasty. As things currently stand, there are no T5 carriers, so she can only fail-div with a T4 carrier (and risk pulling it up to T7) or with a T6 carrier (and herself risk getting pulled up to face Tier 8). However, choosing a competent div-mate in a stealthy destroyer driven well could reap dividends.

VERDICT:

Worth winning as an interesting experiment to play with if you can get it during the event; IMHO not worth buying. There are better Tier 5 ships to get, including other Russian ones. She might be worth coal if they ever offer her for that, but it depends on the price. For example, I'm not sure she'd be worth the 34,000 coal they're currently asking for the USS Marblehead at the same tier. And if you're willing and able to pay money for a Russian premium cruiser in the low mid tiers, any of the others (Molotov, Murmansk, soon Kirov) is in my estimation a far better choice. If you don't have the Kirov and you're reading this in time to grind to the Kirov while she's still a tech-tree ship, you should absolutely do so. You will get the premium version for free.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 4
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
566 posts
9,842 battles

Got a 300 token crate the first time out so have been playing this ship. I actually like  her. Not the greatest ship in the world but we are talking tier V. At that tier her guns are just vicious. Superior range to any comparable ship and they are high velocity lasers. Easy to hit ships even with the spotter up. However, she is not a CA for medium or close range and she will not carry a battle. She is purely a long range sniper that can hurt about any ship in the match. She is fast but can't turn worth a damn so you need to be at max range until the end game.  So, she is easy to play if you can shoot straight but a bit boring in the end due to her one dimensional character.  Quite frankly, she sucks in coop, because her slow reload. Your mates will kill the enemy before you can do much with her. 

[DVYJC]
Members
3,579 posts
8,284 battles

My experience with Mikoyan is that she is good at serving easy kills to your teammates. With 180mm guns and Russian ballistics, I tend to get a couple citadels on a well-aimed volley, but with only six barrels I tend to leave just enough health on my heavily damaged target to render them and fodder for my teammates while I reload. 

I'm sure they're appreciative.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,745 posts
15,788 battles
6 hours ago, handybilly said:

Quite frankly, she sucks in coop, because her slow reload. Your mates will kill the enemy before you can do much with her. 

I had a couple of really big games, but that was the stars aligning. 

6 hours ago, handybilly said:

and she will not carry a battle.

I had THREE derp teams which demonstrated this the hard way. On one occasion, there were three battleships (all human) that did not sink a single ship between them (and all of them, even the US standard, were in a position to shoot).

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
586 posts
12,277 battles

Co Op only boat that will only be played for tokens and snowflakes. It is fun watching big chunks come off red boats when those shells hit, it just doesn't happen often enough to make up for the sound of your own boat being citadeled.

[NGA]
Members
131 posts
7,298 battles
12 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

VERDICT:

Worth winning as an interesting experiment to play with if you can get it during the event; IMHO not worth buying. There are better Tier 5 ships to get, including other Russian ones. She might be worth coal if they ever offer her for that, but it depends on the price. For example, I'm not sure she'd be worth the 34,000 coal they're currently asking for the USS Marblehead at the same tier. And if you're willing and able to pay money for a Russian premium cruiser in the low mid tiers, any of the others (Molotov, Murmansk, soon Kirov) is in my estimation a far better choice. If you don't have the Kirov and you're reading this in time to grind to the Kirov while she's still a tech-tree ship, you should absolutely do so. You will get the premium version for free.

I've written on this previously but I see the Mikoyan as a fundamentally EVIL ship. The promise of her fantastic guns makes you think this could be a fun ship. Instead, she has just enough armor to arm AP shells that otherwise would just be overpens. Its rate of fire means you can be deleted by any DD with fast firing guns. Its lousy dispersion means having a broadside CA in sight in missing it consistently even when you are otherwise aiming well. 

I hate this ship with the heat of a thousand suns.

I only play it for the tokens and directives. After this is over it’s becoming a port queen unless it gets a serious buff or three. I would advise anyone not to spend money or time on it unless you are a masochist. 

But that’s just me. I wish anyone buying it all the luck, they will need it.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

This is an honest review. I got the ship for free, am not selling it, like cruisers and am not a complete potato in them.

Mikoyan is alright for coop if you don't have any other tier 5 to play. Specifically situations where you can rush in and torpedo bot Cruisers and bot Battleships that pretend you aren't there and aren't gonna shoot at you. Miko is a dumpster fire for any other conceivable mode, situation or purpose.

Short and to the point.

[ARGSY]
Members
566 posts
9,842 battles

Don't know if I would buy it. However I am glad that I have it. It is not a horrible ship. Played well, it will be a successful ship. But it just is not very interesting. As said, there are a lot more Tier V ships that are more interesting and fun. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,682 posts
2,621 battles

So, essentially, Mikoyan is a worse Kirov with access to a spotter plane.  Neat.  I'll be sure to never play her beyond knocking off her snowflake.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,591 posts

Based on what I've seen in specs and reviews, I figure the Mikoyan is a waste of tokens that could be spent on flags or premium time.

Its use as the first step in the early access sequencing is clearly set up as a resource sink, to prevent direct access to the meat of the event, and combined with the heavily RNG-based nature of the event, is just there to encourage spending through manipulative means.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[ARGSY]
Members
21,745 posts
15,788 battles
21 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

the meat of the event

Which you consider to be what? The early-release ships? Or the permacamos?

Anyone with half a brain can work out how much it costs to equip a T8, T9 and T10 ship with permacamo and whether it's worth playing Bundle Roulette (answer: unless the first bundle unmasked is the jackpot, it probably isn't). As for the ships themselves, they are available at no charge with a bit of waiting. 

Events like this enable the greedy and impatient to identify themselves, which usually happens here on the forums as explosions of salt.

As for the committed whales who spend with eyes wide open, they are able to calculate for themselves what they can and will pay, and they don't come here to whine about it. "Gentlemen don't kiss and tell."

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu