Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

How is Nagato Doing These Days?

11 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Was wondering how Nagato is doing at tier these days? Been a while since used her heavily as I have been busy with other IJN ships. And with current Ranked season and the maps it uses I am tempted to try using her along with secondary build. So need to know if the bow armor can hold up if I push a Sinop or not? If secondary build is bad then what is the recommendation for builds and tactics now? Also what are the optimal attack / defense ranges where guns are effective while armor is also effective?

( I know Ashitaka would be the far better IJN choice as Amagi is such an awesome ship. But I don’t have Ashitaka, so will have to try and use the alternative 16” guns with Nagato to teach Sinops that they are not the only big guns in the battles lol. A ship like Amagi with the mobility, gun range, armor profile, and 10x16” guns, plus secondary guns to fend off close range DDs attacks must be fun in tier 7 Ranked as that would be stripping citadels right out of the BBs and CAs. So I recommend it for those that have it to use in Ranked.)

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,433 battles

All tier VII battleships have 26mm of extremity plating, which can be overmatched by 380mm and greater AP (26*14.3=371.8). Sinop has 406mm guns, so she will have no problem punishing bow-tanking BBs. The only tier VII BBs that cannot overmatch their peers are Scharnhorst, Lyon, Poltava, and KGV/DoY.

Edited by Nevermore135

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
3 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

All tier VII battleships have 26mm of extremity plating, which can be overmatched by 380mm and greater AP (26*14.3=371.8). Sinop has 406mm guns, so she will have no problem punishing bow-tanking BBs. The only tier VII BBs that cannot overmatch their peers are Scharnhorst, Lyon, Poltava, and KGV/DoY.

Is that range dependent?

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,433 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Is that range dependent?

No. Normally an AP shell has to pass two checks when it hits an armor plate. The first is to determine if the shell will bounce (dependent on the angle of incidence), the second is if the shell has sufficient penetration to penetrate the armor. This second one is also affected by angle (the farther from perpendicular, the greater the effective thickness of the plate), as well as velocity (i.e. range) and other shell parameters. Overmatch bypasses both these checks - if the shell hits, it will pen, similar to HE shell mechanics (except an AP shell may keep traveling through the target).

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
154 posts
5,029 battles

Nagato and Colorado BBs are getting mauled by the masses of Sinop BBs, from what I have seen.

[PVE]
Members
6,938 posts
22,691 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Was wondering how Nagato is doing at tier these days? Been a while since used her heavily as I have been busy with other IJN ships. And with current Ranked season and the maps it uses I am tempted to try using her along with secondary build. So need to know if the bow armor can hold up if I push a Sinop or not? If secondary build is bad then what is the recommendation for builds and tactics now? Also what are the optimal attack / defense ranges where guns are effective while armor is also effective?

( I know Ashitaka would be the far better IJN choice as Amagi is such an awesome ship. But I don’t have Ashitaka, so will have to try and use the alternative 16” guns with Nagato to teach Sinops that they are not the only big guns in the battles lol. A ship like Amagi with the mobility, gun range, armor profile, and 10x16” guns, plus secondary guns to fend off close range DDs attacks must be fun in tier 7 Ranked as that would be stripping citadels right out of the BBs and CAs. So I recommend it for those that have it to use in Ranked.)

Not sure if you were around back then but years ago during 1 of the T7 ranked seasons @generaldortranked out not only on the NA server but on all servers (at least all servers at that time...not sure if they've added any more since then)...& guess what the 1 ship he used on all the servers was...

If anybody can break down any power creep that may have occurred since then I'm guessing he'd be the best option to break it down for you.

Members
1,725 posts
8,556 battles
On 5/24/2020 at 10:44 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ashitaka is a beast, reliably earning “high caliber” in ranked. She lulled me into a false sense of security though. I just came back from a long break and really had no experience with Russian BBs, and ranked being what it is the first several Sinops I saw were really, really bad. I caught the first two broadside at node range and sank both with one volley, so I had the impression that they were made of glass. They also really didn’t know how to aim at a fast moving, angled target until I hit rank 9 or so, so I had a really poor impression of Sinop’s guns. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
30 minutes ago, inktomi19d said:

Ashitaka is a beast, reliably earning “high caliber” in ranked. She lulled me into a false sense of security though. I just came back from a long break and really had no experience with Russian BBs, and ranked being what it is the first several Sinops I saw were really, really bad. I caught the first two broadside at node range and sank both with one volley, so I had the impression that they were made of glass. They also really didn’t know how to aim at a fast moving, angled target until I hit rank 9 or so, so I had a really poor impression of Sinop’s guns. 

Yeah Sinop has so badly dominated Ranked this season that it either needs serious nerfs or else we don’t Need Ranked to be tier 7 again.

I got a Rental Ashitaka and my theory the ship could smash a Sinop were correct, but most of the maps on this Ranked are too small / laid our wrongly to give Ashitaka the space to keep the Sinop at long enough ranges to survive. But I am still going with the the main culprit being Sinop needs nerfs since Sinop far too often overmatched pretty much any armor in battles while the Sinop’s own bow armor could tank significant firepower.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,675 posts
15,719 battles
On 6/9/2020 at 8:45 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

or else we don’t Need Ranked to be tier 7 again.

Certainly not on those maps.

A request for Sinop nerfs would probably be countered by WG arguing that they shouldn't nerf a ship based on ONE season of ranked in ONE particular map meta. 

I doubt their spreadsheets go so far as to tell them the amount of AP that was fired at bow-on Sinops, but I would not be surprised if they raised the argument that a switch to HE would have been beneficial. There is a subset of players which treats any BB captain who pushes the "1" button at all when fighting another with disdain; and while they are very often right, I wonder if their mindset might have prevented an appropriate type switch in some circumstances.

I moved my senior Japanese BB captain up from Nagato to Amagi with some reluctance.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
On 6/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Certainly not on those maps.

A request for Sinop nerfs would probably be countered by WG arguing that they shouldn't nerf a ship based on ONE season of ranked in ONE particular map meta. 

I doubt their spreadsheets go so far as to tell them the amount of AP that was fired at bow-on Sinops, but I would not be surprised if they raised the argument that a switch to HE would have been beneficial. There is a subset of players which treats any BB captain who pushes the "1" button at all when fighting another with disdain; and while they are very often right, I wonder if their mindset might have prevented an appropriate type switch in some circumstances.

I moved my senior Japanese BB captain up from Nagato to Amagi with some reluctance.

Amagi is a good BB and it very easily is able to share it’s captain with Kii and Ashitaka.

Sign in to follow this