Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
eCakes

New player - just my thoughts so far.

6 comments in this topic

[DEP]
Members
20 posts
1,814 battles

Not new to gaming by any means, but new to World of Warships and I am still grasping a lot of the finer details for sure.  I have found this to be extreme enjoyable, and much more akin to my taste than World of Tanks, which was my first introduction to this company.  I didn't want this thread to come off as me whining, but more just how it feels joining after the first week and my first thoughts.

I've very much enjoyed going down the Russian line so far and working on the German ships due to the Bizmark discounts (this ties in heavily to my first point below).  Personally learning toward the BB's, but still trying to dabble into the other lines just to understand how they play and how to play against them.

I could go on listing all the things I like about the game.  But I figure that doesn't make much sense.  So, I'm going to list the 3 main things that I am taking issues with.

1. The cost of climbing is prohibitive for a casual gamer. 
    • I wouldn't consider myself a casual gamer and have played a ton of games in the last week.  That being said, the discounts and such are interesting, but the 'coupons' seem to be quite random, as my friends/recruits have received different coupons available to them.  On received a 200% increase in doubloons up to 50k for their purchases, while friends I play with who have had this game for many years have never seen it.  I completely understand this is a company and they are here to make money.  Perhaps something along the lines of after a certain tier ship, the remainder of the line is discounted (on top of any other discounts), for one line only.  Maybe after Tier 7.  Just a suggestion.  But something put in place to entice a new player to actually participate in getting to the end tier ships, as the game changed dramatically as I moved up into higher tier ships.
  2. The 'RNG' factor.
    • It's not hard to understand it - but a bit harder to put into words.  I've just experienced some real hot/cold RNG seemingly.  Being 'citadeled' at 18+k away, or not receiving any while less than 2k away.. just feels weird.  From my understanding it is the critical hit mechanic of the game, paired with the other aspects such as armaments, rudder and engines.
  3. Match Making - This is my largest gripe by far.
    • Matchmaking doesn't seem to follow som basics in logical reasoning.  Such as one team having 3 divisions, and the other team having 1.  Playing with a friend of mine (we're both new), and then being paired up against 3 other divisions of 2.. just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.
    • Up/down tier scaling.  I think this is bad for the game, ESPECIALLY new players.  Playing in the T6 arena, and getting against T8s just feels bad.  I completely understand that "git gud newb, you can still win!"... is a logic some have.  However, that is the entire point.  I am trying to do just that.  Pairing me against superior ships, which presumably can mean superior admirals - just doesn't feel good.  I would *gladly* wait an extra few minutes to ensure the team is as balanced as they can be.
    • AFK players.  Although this can be a category on its own - there should be an option to join the game once the 'queue pops', and not simply be dumped into it.  I know this is probably an exaggeration, but I would say well over half my games start with an AFK player(s) for the first few minutes.  I also hear the same issue from my friends and clan mates who are participating in Ranked battles.

Overall, it is an excellent game, but without honest feedback and providing that to the community, I think it can be even better.  I have already recruited several players, and although it may be an echo chamber, a majority of our complaints resonate with each other.  Ideally, ensuring that new players thrive and enjoy the game by limiting some of the issues I've listed (and I'm sure there are others that I do or do not agree with), will continue to help facilitate continued growth!

Edited by eCakes
  • Cool 1

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

Joining a built up clan (even if it's a "lone wolf clan" like mine) gives nice discounts on credit costs for ships.

I've never seen that 200% coupon either. Only things I've ever got were a few ship rentals with discounts (one for a Jean Bart, and one for a Scharnhorst, a few shorter ones).

It is possible to get along in this game quite well without buying premium. I haven't spent a cent, I have a fair whack of ships, including multiple premium ships, a half-dozen Tier 10 ships and a lot of lines up into the 7th/8th tiers.

RNG is something that takes time to understand and deal with, because it also factors into play with things like ship angling, where you're aiming and so on. So you might get overpens or richets while shooting someone, and they turn around and blap you for 40k damage on a quad cit. When you look more into the way the mechanics work, you might realise you were giving broadside, while they were angled, kiting away and not a good target to shoot.

The tier scaling is there because it's one of the main incentives to grind or buy premium ships.

Slow loading can be an issue, the game doesn't wait for everyone to be ready and at keyboard. True AFK's are pretty rare (I've only seen a handful in the last few weeks) but slow loaders is a thing.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,912 battles

I'll address number 2. It's not really RNG, while World of Warships is an arcade game, they actually have some very serious and details physics on ships. What you are experiencing is called plunging fire. The shells are coming down at an angle, hitting your deck, and entering the citadel, thus bypassing the armor belt. At closer ranges, the shells are a flatter trajectory and hit the armor belt and don't penetrate to the citadel. It's really quite complicated, ships have certain armor layouts, such as turtleback, which provide certain levels of citadel protection are certain ranges. Ships that can seem invulnerable to citadels, can have weak spots such as the side of the nose of the Yamato. Plus, shells have timings. The shell needs to explode inside the ship to be a citadel, and some timings are long enough that the shell passes through the ship and explodes, and instead of a citadel, you get an over pen. (Talking about you Roma)

The better players understand the weaknesses of each ship and now how to take advantage of it and exactly where to fire, and have the skill to hit that spot. It's way too much to expert from players with less than 1,000 matches, but there is a huge amount of data to process to be really good at this game.

Members
1,465 posts
7,121 battles

As to number 1... it is already way to easy to get to tier 10. It is one of the reasons so many are there that have no clue.

[GT3]
Members
156 posts
6,872 battles

i wish i had been paying attention and learning the details the way OP is when i was at 355 battles.. you will do well here.. give it time and keep learning.

all the great games seem to also have great problems.. gamer life.

[DEP]
Members
20 posts
1,814 battles
26 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

As to number 1... it is already way to easy to get to tier 10. It is one of the reasons so many are there that have no clue.

And that is ok!  How do you expect people to learn the gamer at higher tiers if they can't get to them?  It's self-fulfilling to say people are bad in 10s, while in casual random games... if they can't go practice in them.

37 minutes ago, Xanthro said:

I'll address number 2. It's not really RNG, while World of Warships is an arcade game, they actually have some very serious and details physics on ships. What you are experiencing is called plunging fire. The shells are coming down at an angle, hitting your deck, and entering the citadel, thus bypassing the armor belt. At closer ranges, the shells are a flatter trajectory and hit the armor belt and don't penetrate to the citadel. It's really quite complicated, ships have certain armor layouts, such as turtleback, which provide certain levels of citadel protection are certain ranges. Ships that can seem invulnerable to citadels, can have weak spots such as the side of the nose of the Yamato. Plus, shells have timings. The shell needs to explode inside the ship to be a citadel, and some timings are long enough that the shell passes through the ship and explodes, and instead of a citadel, you get an over pen. (Talking about you Roma)

The better players understand the weaknesses of each ship and now how to take advantage of it and exactly where to fire, and have the skill to hit that spot. It's way too much to expert from players with less than 1,000 matches, but there is a huge amount of data to process to be really good at this game.

I absolutely agree with all your points.  Understanding how and when citadels are more prone to happen is just something that needs to be... honestly? memorized.  Against specific ships, you use specific tools.  Completely agree.  The main point I was trying to make about the RNG, is that at the range of 18+ kilometers out, being fortunate enough for someone to turn just enough after you fired your salvo, and THEN to also hit a citadel with the crazy amount of dispersion going on... just doesn't feel good to do it or have it done to you.  

Understanding that there are factors there are completely influenced by the players makes sense.  Saying that RNG isn't absolutely a factor, especially at long-range shooting, I would have to disagree with.

22 minutes ago, Mego_Splat said:

i wish i had been paying attention and learning the details the way OP is when i was at 355 battles.. you will do well here.. give it time and keep learning.

all the great games seem to also have great problems.. gamer life.

Hey thanks.  Just trying =)

Sign in to follow this