Edited by iDuckman
  • Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Originally?  Near Quahog, Rhode Island.

Is your name Stewie by any chance? You seem too smart to be a "Peter" or a "Chris" and not full of yourself enough to be a "Brian." I think the evil genius tag might fit you nicely though.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,678 posts
19,806 battles
42 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Me-262-Reproduction.jpg

Beauty. Always reminded me of a flying shark.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,776 posts
4,733 battles
42 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Is your name Stewie by any chance? You seem too smart to be a "Peter" or a "Chris" and not full of yourself enough to be a "Brian." I think the evil genius tag might fit you nicely though.

Ain't sayin' !   <muah ha ha!>  :cap_haloween:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Born in the Philippines but grew up in California, USA.

When I was in the Army, a handful of us were tasked to guard an area once that contained an even more secure area that, technically-speaking, non-US citizens were not supposed to enter. Like now, back then the Army was a good way for people to fast-track their applications for citizenship. The major asked us where we were born; the answers were Mexico, El Salvador, The Philippines, South Korea, Guam, and West Germany. I got to guard the secure area because the major's own kids had been born in West Germany. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the best choice would have been Guam, which is actually a US Territory.  

[WOLF2]
Members
855 posts
19,907 battles

My parents lived on an island in the Puget Sound in Washington state when I was born. I've lived between Seattle and Tacoma since the late 1950s.  On the Puget Sound cars stop to let nuclear submarines pass by. 

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
2 hours ago, Princess_Schala said:

It's not really very exciting here..........

My Great-Great Grandpa settled in Oklahoma just after the Civil War. Back then it wasn't even Oklahoma -- He built a sawmill in the Choctaw Nation. Grandpa's cousin married Jackson McCurtain's daughter. Jackson McCurtain was a former Confederate colonel and the principal chief of the Choctaw Nation. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[SLFF]
Members
32 posts
2,393 battles

Upstate New York, Birthplace of Kodak Roll Film inventor George Eastman. 

[WOLF3]
Members
28,115 posts
24,463 battles
On 5/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, Snargfargle said:

When I was in the Army, a handful of us were tasked to guard an area once that contained an even more secure area that, technically-speaking, non-US citizens were not supposed to enter. Like now, back then the Army was a good way for people to fast-track their applications for citizenship. The major asked us where we were born; the answers were Mexico, El Salvador, The Philippines, South Korea, Guam, and West Germany. I got to guard the secure area because the major's own kids had been born in West Germany. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the best choice would have been Guam, which is actually a US Territory.  

The fun part for me is that a lot of Filipinos join the US Navy, especially dudes from "the old country."  As I mentioned before in a thread I was in with you, I did my career with the US Marines.  Whenever I ended up on a Navy ship I got a lot of weird reactions because of my choice of service and not the USN.  I'd be walking around in the hangar deck and I'm passing by a Filipino Chief Petty Officer and he'd see me, and stare.  I already know what he was thinking:

"Is that guy Filipino?  He looks like one."

"Is he really in the Marines?!?"

They usually stop and ask and my answers always blow them away :Smile_veryhappy:

Still, there was something of a network going on.  One of my friends who was in the USN called it, "The Manila Mafia," easy to get some hookups with some wheeling and dealing.  We were apparently a dime a dozen in the Navy but in the Marine Corps, we were rare.  In my whole 20 year career I saw a handful of Filipinos in the Marines.  The most I've ever seen in any of the squadrons I've been with, which is usually Battalion level of a command, is 2, me and one other kid.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
22 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The fun part for me is that a lot of Filipinos join the US Navy.

A local doctor at the county seat hospital here in "Courage the Cowardly Dog Middle of Nowhere" came here from the Philippines after treating soldiers that were coming back from Vietnam some 50 years ago. I never knew how he ended up here but he started a trend. Most of the doctors at the county hospital and a good number of the nurses ever since have come from the Philippines.

An old farm not a mile from where I live looks just like this. We used to buy eggs and milk there when I was young. When my sister had a horse we kept it in their pasture. That stupid horse was so hard to catch that we had to catch one of the farmer's horses first and then ride it over to catch our horse. 

044c7ab4971a09420e72e9a0c90e2064e03d91a4

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF3]
Members
28,115 posts
24,463 battles
11 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

A local doctor at the county seat hospital here in "Courage the Cowardly Dog Middle of Nowhere" came here from the Philippines after treating soldiers that were coming back from Vietnam some 50 years ago. I never knew how he ended up here but he started a trend. Most of the doctors at the county hospital and a good number of the nurses ever since have come from the Philippines.

An old farm not a mile from where I live looks just like this. We used to buy eggs and milk there when I was young. When my sister had a horse we kept it in their pasture. That stupid horse was so hard to catch that we had to catch one of the farmer's horses first and then ride it over to catch our horse. 

044c7ab4971a09420e72e9a0c90e2064e03d91a4

I have a number of relatives who have been in the nursing field.  Hell, a friend back home who is also Filipino is still in nursing as a dude.  I don't know why it's so popular with us.

I have not stayed in a rural region until I joined the military.  The first taste was Tennessee, when I attended my first MOS school at NAS Millington (closed now).  There was big city Memphis, but there was a lot of empty space.  Next was MCAS Cherry Point, NC.  Go outside the gate, hit the crossroads, and nothing but empty road and trees, couldn't even see the next light in the distance.  I remember riding in on a little pond hopper plane and just seeing nothing but trees as far as the eye could see.  Not something I was used to from growing up in California.

California, where I grew up in and somehow served a bunch of my service time at, has its share of very rural spots.  Everybody thinks "Big City" when you say, "California."  Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Long Beach, etc.  Los Angeles is so big and densely populated, then you got the surrounding cities, counties that just make it one big urban area.

You got the Los Angeles Basin and once you go outside the surrounding hills, especially eastward, you're around with the dirt, sand, cactus, and buildings get very spread out  See some farms, ranches, etc.  Go east from San Diego and you start getting into the rocky hills on the way to Arizona, and eventually into desert.

Central California is a big valley, lots of farms out there and some some small towns.

Oh, you made me remember.  When I was attending my MOS school at Tennessee, one of my classmates was from that state.  I remember him saying he joined the Navy to get the hell out of Tennessee and see the world.  When our class was finishing and we were all receiving orders and go our own ways, I remember how annoyed he was when his orders said he wasn't going anywhere... He was going to some squadron in NAS Millington :Smile_veryhappy:  He of course would still go afloat and on deployments, but he wanted a change of scenery.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Go east from San Diego and you start getting into the rocky hills on the way to Arizona, and eventually into desert.

Speaking of California, I was stationed at Irwin for three months of desert training once. That was one of the funnest assignments I ever had. The area is littered with semi-precious stones and nobody has picked them up, it being a military installation and all. I didn't get any time off but I did pick up rocks every time I got the chance. I'd always volunteer to drive patients down to Twentynine Palms whenever we were in from the field too because then I could stop and get a burger on the way back. Other than that, it was mostly C-Rations as the post wasn't really wasn't opened back up yet in the 70s. I went back and visited Death Valley after grad school when I was touring all the major deserts of the US. Irwin is right south of Death Valley. 

[WOLF2]
Members
855 posts
19,907 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Speaking of California, I was stationed at Irwin for three months of desert training once. That was one of the funnest assignments I ever had. The area is littered with semi-precious stones and nobody has picked them up, it being a military installation and all. I didn't get any time off but I did pick up rocks every time I got the chance. I'd always volunteer to drive patients down to Twentynine Palms whenever we were in from the field too because then I could stop and get a burger on the way back. Other than that, it was mostly C-Rations as the post wasn't really wasn't opened back up yet in the 70s. I went back and visited Death Valley after grad school when I was touring all the major deserts of the US. Irwin is right south of Death Valley. 

In the 1960s me and my father used to go out and dig for agates and geodes.  One time we went up to Red Top Mountain where  there was one large clearing we dug in that looked like a battlefield because of all the foxholes.

This is a Thunder Egg we dug up in Oregon and cut in half.

image.thumb.png.67a243c273b29ba1f9a8fd7dad982ec1.png

I have a bunch of uncut Thunder Eggs and would like to cut them open but for some reason, after my father died, my mother decided to sell his rock saw without telling me. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
855 posts
19,907 battles

A couple of more Thunder Eggs I was going to post but i guess this exceeds my limit for this this thread. I'll try it in The Universe thread.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
24 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

This is a Thunder Egg we dug up in Oregon and cut in half.

image.thumb.png.67a243c273b29ba1f9a8fd7dad982ec1.png

There is a nice Cretaceous fossil area about a hundred miles upstream from where I live that is on the watershed of our local river. Although this river is dry (technically, it flows underground) most of the time, it occasionally it floods and washes in dinosaur coprolites. Not a lot of people know what they are so you can go up on the river and find then fairly easily.

a32cb2079591c6456be72f8cebde2720.jpg

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,669 posts
2 minutes ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

My rock bowl.

image.thumb.png.a534cdefbabe33f5aa04ddd71d20f5a3.png

I picked up a year of post-grad geology once. I should have gotten a degree in it but life had other plans for me. My 1st cousin, once removed and my aunt both taught geology in high school and community colleges. My cousin's daughter is a well-known hydrologist. I'm assuming that she inherited her dad's really nice rock and mineral collection.

Sign in to follow this