You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
soupflakes

Tier X Boring?

14 comments in this topic

[RSL]
Members
30 posts
1,906 battles

Ok. Just a question to see what others think. So I've been grinding my way up to try to get the montana. I'm a relatively new player. So that would be my first tier X. However. I have just lost all ambition to try to get tier X ships. And heres why. When I play tier 6 to 8 battles, they're a blast. BBs having straight up 1km duals, cruisers helping push,  dds zooming around everywhere. Trying to cap, also helping push. Just good ol fashion fun mayhem. Then I got my iowa. And I'm playing a lot more 9 and 10 games. And they're trash. (I'm not playing great I'm sure, but even my good games they're so boring when the games over and I'm toward the top of the team it's a surprise because it just felt... slow) It's a bunch of BBs kiting around in the back, going back and forth lobbing shells across the map. And I know why, because if you try to push you'll be melted by 6 HE spamming cruisers in a smoke screen, you'll be torped by 5 of the 39 torpedoes from the benham or 278 torpedoes from the shima or however many those things have. Then, when you DO catch that cruiser, 10k away, broadside, and you hit 7 of 9 shells at the water line... 7 overpens.  Stare in disbelief, then proceed to get melted by everyone since you're the only thing they can see, as you're entire team is kiting away.  Or you get into a broadside dual with a stalingrad or an alaska and they simply laugh as you shatter and over pen shells while they pen the crap out of you.  So I get WHY BBs and such kite around the back. But it just seems boring and unfun to me. Its turned me away so much I've ground up the Russians to the Vlad, and I'll probably just get to tier 8 for a while.  And keep in mind, I'm not necessarily always doing awful in those battles. Heck sometimes I get lucky and long dev strike a smolensk, or we actually have people that push. But those games seem to be exceedingly rare. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, or if it's just part of higher tiers.

[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,665 battles

T8 is the best tier. You get the challenge of going up against T9/10 and rewarded with great exp for doing so. You get good games when all T8 and occasionally the pleasure of being top tier against 6/7's where your challenge is the expectation of carrying harder as top tier. 

T10 is a little stale. And steam rolls happen quicker in general due to mistakes being punished harder and faster.

• Cool 1

[RSL]
Members
30 posts
1,906 battles
13 minutes ago, Toss_a_plus_1_to_your_CV said:

T8 is the best tier. You get the challenge of going up against T9/10 and rewarded with great exp for doing so. You get good games when all T8 and occasionally the pleasure of being top tier against 6/7's where your challenge is the expectation of carrying harder as top tier. 

T10 is a little stale. And steam rolls happen quicker in general due to mistakes being punished harder and faster.

Exactly my thoughts. Tier 9 and 10 battles when you're tier 8 don't happen all the time, and when they do, meh,  it's just once in a while. No biggy. Like you said sometimes you get wrecked, and sometimes you do well and get great xp. But then you also end up in so many good and fun and engaging battles when it is tier 8 across the board. Or even when your top tier. But it just feels.... dull at tier X. You will die if you push up without help, and with 12 randoms you will almost never get the coordination to support a push. It's just kite around on the back. Wait for the 4 or 5 people on either team who get bored and make a mistake get deleted, then the slaughter begins. 

[5D4]
[5D4]
Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
1 hour ago, soupflakes said:

Ok. Just a question to see what others think. So I've been grinding my way up to try to get the montana. I'm a relatively new player. So that would be my first tier X. However. I have just lost all ambition to try to get tier X ships. And heres why. When I play tier 6 to 8 battles, they're a blast. BBs having straight up 1km duals, cruisers helping push,  dds zooming around everywhere. Trying to cap, also helping push. Just good ol fashion fun mayhem. Then I got my iowa. And I'm playing a lot more 9 and 10 games. And they're trash. (I'm not playing great I'm sure, but even my good games they're so boring when the games over and I'm toward the top of the team it's a surprise because it just felt... slow) It's a bunch of BBs kiting around in the back, going back and forth lobbing shells across the map. And I know why, because if you try to push you'll be melted by 6 HE spamming cruisers in a smoke screen, you'll be torped by 5 of the 39 torpedoes from the benham or 278 torpedoes from the shima or however many those things have. Then, when you DO catch that cruiser, 10k away, broadside, and you hit 7 of 9 shells at the water line... 7 overpens.  Stare in disbelief, then proceed to get melted by everyone since you're the only thing they can see, as you're entire team is kiting away.  Or you get into a broadside dual with a stalingrad or an alaska and they simply laugh as you shatter and over pen shells while they pen the crap out of you.  So I get WHY BBs and such kite around the back. But it just seems boring and unfun to me. Its turned me away so much I've ground up the Russians to the Vlad, and I'll probably just get to tier 8 for a while.  And keep in mind, I'm not necessarily always doing awful in those battles. Heck sometimes I get lucky and long dev strike a smolensk, or we actually have people that push. But those games seem to be exceedingly rare. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, or if it's just part of higher tiers.

the more tier X ships you have when the wows anniversary happens equals more super containers

[WORX]
Members
11,475 posts
19,211 battles
1 hour ago, soupflakes said:

High tiers ??? Its a snoozefest... Tactics are just predictable, outcomes are predictable... I suggest mid tiers matches..

[UN1]
Members
1,283 posts
3,965 battles
3 hours ago, soupflakes said:

Your viewpoint though is based on your experience with the Iowa, which is a rough ship to level through.  I know 'cause I just leveled through it a second time!  For all its glory, history, and fame, the Iowa is probably the least enjoyable ships to play in this game.

Montana is a MUCH easier and MUCH more enjoyable ship to play than the Iowa.  Trust me, you'll enjoy it a lot more than you are the Iowa.

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
18,412 battles

broadside dual a stalingrad....

yeah dude, from that i know you're making your experiences up....

citadel of stalingrad is the size of a minotaur or something, there's no way to not citadel a broadside stalingrad

• Cool 1

[RSL]
Members
30 posts
1,906 battles
3 hours ago, jason199506 said:

broadside dual a stalingrad....

yeah dude, from that i know you're making your experiences up....

citadel of stalingrad is the size of a minotaur or something, there's no way to not citadel a broadside stalingrad

Literally last game. Sure. I citadelled him twice. But he has almost twice the reload speed I have, and just as much health. So by the time I got 2 volleys off with two citadels, he killed me before I could get a third off. I'm not saying I didnt do any damage to him, but he was doing the same amount to me just twice as fast. 

Members
6,774 posts
21,175 battles
8 hours ago, soupflakes said:

What you do or did and got away with at lower tiers will get you destroyed and higher tiers. Probably the hardest part of this game for new players to realize. Many develop bad habits.....the sad part is those bad habits were really fun!... back to bad habits, those bad/fun habits don't work with higher tiers and more experienced players. Which is why you see or state that high tier seems boring. The game evolves into something closer to chess than a first person ship shooter laugh a minute blast it was when you got to tier 5.

Oddly you will find the more experience and high tier ships you get, the fun meter starts slipping and the frustration meter starts ticking up.

If I can give any newer player a tip. Take your time, enjoy the game and don't rush to higher tier ships, there are some very, very good players with 19point captains waiting to exploit every mistake you make.

[SALVO]
Members
5,363 posts
4,575 battles
8 hours ago, soupflakes said:

Ok. Just a question to see what others think. So I've been grinding my way up to try to get the montana. I'm a relatively new player. So that would be my first tier X. However. I have just lost all ambition to try to get tier X ships.

For starter, it is expensive. Gameplay is repetitive and boring (as in use the same kosher tactics or you are dead). Player Quality is a myth, plenty of clueless rookies at top tier too. So, why play it?

Plenty lines to experience and fun to have at tier 8 and under.

Members
167 posts
1,896 battles

I agree with what you are saying. I still like playing my Smolensk, just bc it is so fun to spam HE and have people raging at me. LOL. Outside of that though, I generally play tiers 7-9.

• Cool 1

Members
580 posts
5,054 battles
59 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

What you do or did and got away with at lower tiers will get you destroyed and higher tiers. Probably the hardest part of this game for new players to realize. Many develop bad habits.....the sad part is those bad habits were really fun!... back to bad habits, those bad/fun habits don't work with higher tiers and more experienced players. Which is why you see or state that high tier seems boring. The game evolves into something closer to chess than a first person ship shooter laugh a minute blast it was when you got to tier 5.

Oddly you will find the more experience and high tier ships you get, the fun meter starts slipping and the frustration meter starts ticking up.

If I can give any newer player a tip. Take your time, enjoy the game and don't rush to higher tier ships, there are some very, very good players with 19point captains waiting to exploit every mistake you make.

i think it has more to do with mechanics and balance than skill, high tier ships have way to much firepower, accuracy and range. Who wants to go first when you have BBs that can dev struck you from 25km, cruisers hidding behind some island turning everything to ashes within 16km range or dds that can drop a huge amount of torps from concealment? add the overall poor concealment, overabundance of radar and the all seeing eye in the sky and is not a surprise that players try to keep as much distance as posible from the enemy team, To much risk for little to no real advantage.

At some point WG needs to realise this and either nerf ships hability to deal damage from far away or introduce new modules that promote close range combat (armor, secondary guns, mobility, concealment ) at the expense of long range combat (main guns/torpedo range, accuracy, shell flying speed) 

may be they should consider skills with conditions for instance adrenaline rush having an extra effect "25% increased effect of adrenaline rush for every enemy within 8km"

Edited by pepe_trueno

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles
3 hours ago, soupflakes said:

Literally last game. Sure. I citadelled him twice. But he has almost twice the reload speed I have, and just as much health. So by the time I got 2 volleys off with two citadels, he killed me before I could get a third off. I'm not saying I didnt do any damage to him, but he was doing the same amount to me just twice as fast. 

Last game?  Then that wasn't long ago.  I'd like to see the replay.

Go into your WoWS directory, there's a Replay folder there.  Grab the replay and drag it onto your thread reply, it'll attach.  I'd like to see how that "broadside duel" went.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles

Also, regarding people saying they don't like Tier X as much is easy to explain.  Everything punishes mistakes harder.  The playing field in Tier X is also more even.  In a Tier X game, you no longer can abuse MM to make certain they have a tier advantage.  You can easily have an all Tier X game.

You are no longer a Massachusetts, Amagi, Enterprise, Kaga, Akizuki, HSF Harekaze, etc. from Tier VIII wailing on helpless Tier VI ships.

Massachusetts vs New Mexico?  Tell me that's fair.

Akizuki vs Farragut?  Really?

Enterprise vs Bayern?  Alright.

You are no longer a Musashi, Alsace, Iowa, Fletcher, Jutland, Alaska, Kitakaze, etc. from Tier IX wailing on helpless Tier VII ships.

Musashi vs Colorado?  Absolutely unfair.

Kitakaze, Jutland, Fletcher vs Mahan?  That's murder on the high seas.

Etc.

All that is done in Tier X games.  In Tier X you have to hang with the boys that can smack you back across the face just as hard, smash your mistakes as harshly as you can do theirs.

That's why people's WR% often drops with their Tier X stuff.  They can no longer abuse the system to find advantages like a dirty snake via MatchMaker.

And people can't take that, so they squirrel back somewhere else to find an MM advantage.

After all, the people around in this game who seek "balance" and "fair gameplay" are also the same guys often saying that Tier IX is now the MatchMaker sweet spot since you can often beat up on Tier VII ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway