Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TinCanMan_

Oland Config

6 comments in this topic

[-NXS-]
Members
30 posts
3,794 battles

I started with an Oland that had 12,____ hp to begin with and 3 heals.  Now with survivability expert and Hull B, I start each game with 16,900 points.  Then I add in superintendent for 4 heals which is pretty sweet.  But wait!  Then I discovered the India Delta signal that adds 20% to repair party consumeable.  So I'm getting up to 4 x 202hp for 14 secs (4x 202x14) = 11,312.  That's almost what I started out with on my base Oland.  So, I started around 12---- something and now I am potentially playing at around 27k.  Btw I am starting to stack the dreadnaught awards in a dd.  

I'm digging myself out of a poor W/R hole but pretty psyched about this build.  My guns are not all that I want them to be but have good dispersion and now maybe I can get in a kill of a DD and go heal instead of just run.  What do you guys think?  Are there better ways to build and play the Oland?

First post.  Thanks in advance

[BOMBL]
Members
1,235 posts
16,551 battles

Torp. Torp. Torp. I only use guns to finish off crippled ships or as a last resort 

[4-FUN]
Members
23 posts
19,340 battles

Very interesting post TinCan, I think you are on to something with the heals and HP build.  And I agree with wstugamd, the Olands guns are pretty useless.  I try my best to just spam the torps, just keep flinging them out there with the fast reload.  I am going to adjust my build to what you did TinCan and give it a shot, thanks for the ideas!

[RLGN]
Members
16,225 posts
28,105 battles

(Might as well post here; rather than starting a new thread.)

Oland; thank you, but no.

Tried it in PT Co-op.

QKaqB8.jpg

All doing so did was reinforce the decision I'd already made NOT to invest any time whatsoever in the line on live.

Sorry WG; not interested in another line of smokeless destroyers.

Looks like Gryf, Bylskawica, and Friesland are going to be it.

[UNC]
Members
952 posts
6,409 battles

Oland, Oster, and Halland are all very much torp first boats and I would build them accordingly.  My Halland can pump out a rack of 90 knot 15km range torps every 76.5 seconds, which no lie can be a lot of fun. The guns are decent, especially at t9/10 but with only 4 barrels are only going to be good for finishing off wounded enemies or maybe starting some fires if you can borrow smoke or shoot over an island.  I would not go looking for a gunfight in these, but if you stumble into one you may be all right depending on how good you your enemy are.  If you can afford the trade, sometimes it is worth it to goad an enemy DD into shooting its guns because then they can't disengage for 20 seconds, giving your team a chance to shoot them (in an ideal world, at least).

IMO Survivability Expert is a good choice on almost all DDs because the % HP you gain is so much greater than on larger ships.  For lower health DDs like the IKEAs it is even more important, as it gives you more base health and also increases the amount you can heal.  The lack of smoke for these isn't as punishing as it is for the French DDs as the base concealment is so much better, and with relatively decent AA they can still perform in CV games.  I actually like them, and I feel like learning to be effective in a smokeless DD in the current meta can only help my overall DD play.  Not sure I am interested in the French ones though.

Members
21 posts
21,670 battles

I have been enjoying my Oland.  At first I built it for maximum torpedo speed/reload time and played about twenty matches with it that way.  I did ok...ish... set up that way but honestly it felt unsatisfying.  To me the problem was that in matches where there were only a couple of dd’s and no carriers in the match my team needed someone to cap.  It seems like the current player base has become so used to sitting back and letting dd’s cap while they snipe from range or behind islands that if I didn’t cap the other team would wind up getting so far ahead on caps/points that we would often lose.   The problem was that when you go in to cap (carefully and with an escape planned) you stand a good chance of running into the red team’s dd.  In situations like that good gun power is a lot more useful than torps.  The other day, I re-specked my upgrades and captain skills for maximum GUN power.  (Faster turret traverse, reload speed, and demo expert).   Now I am enjoying the ship a whole lot more.  I can do the role of a dd better in map control and feel like I can keep up with the dpm of most tier 8 did,s and even a few tier 9’s.  It seems like most of the time with careful kiting away while firing and heading for the island that was my planned escape point I can trade evenly on damage.  Fortunately, the Oland’s heal can get a bit of the health back that the other dd probably can’t.  Plus an added bonus is my already strong AA is buffed even more with the Faster gun reload speed.  I have had matches where I’ve. Shot down thirty plus planes.

But with the Oland, I have also experienced a bit of a learning curve.  The lack of smoke makes it a bit tough to dis-engage from a gun fight and that has bit me a few times.  This however can be mitigated a bit by not running the extra firing range module.  The standard range is far enough for most gun battles without the longer gun bloom detection range making dis-engaging take too long.  
 Overall,  having done both torp and gun builds now,  I can say the boat just feels better with better guns and I am gonna keep it that way.

Sign in to follow this