Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BurstKiLL

Want to get a premium cruiser from the armory, give me some insight please

28 comments in this topic

[STAR3]
Members
4 posts
2,577 battles

Hello guys, I want to get a premium ship from the armory as I got some extra money to throw out and I don't want to let the discount cupom be wasted with the next month coming.

I'm a main battleship player, and because of that I want a Cruiser premium, I already play BBs too much. To be honest, I don't find many Cruisers for doubloons in the armory that appealing, only 4 got my attention but I'm open for more options, as most of the cruisers seems to be quite old and is not easy get recently infos about them.

Those that got my attention are:

Atago, seems outdated but I can't lie that it calls my deep inside weeb self. So is a ship that don't appeal much because of it's playstyle but more because of sentimental reasons. I can't deny that this is the one that most calls for my money.

Indianapolis, seems to be a good ship but kinda a lower tier version of Wichita, sorry if is a misconcepction, I never bought a premium ship and because of that I never paid much attention to them.

Wichita, maybe a better indianapolis? I think is a good all rounder ship but I can't feel the appeal on playing her, seems to have nothing special. It doesn't seems weak, just... nothing to stood out I think.

Boise, the guns, a lot of them, this seems appealing, but not having a radar and not having that much range turns me off a lot. There is nothing that piss me off more than facing an uptier with ships than can shoot you when you can't shoot back I've being on those situations a lot playing with some Tier 5 cruisers and is really frustrating.

I don't quite have an interest in other cruisers other than those, but I'm open to new suggestions, because as I said, I'm a BB main that had only some hundreds of battles with cruisers, I don't know much about them so any help/advice/suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[INTEL]
Members
3,304 posts
17,983 battles

Of those?  Atago by far.

It's going to come down to your preferred playstyle.  I will say that Atago was one of the first premium cruisers I owned and it's still one of my favorites.

[WORX]
Members
11,451 posts
19,196 battles
6 minutes ago, BurstKiLL said:

I don't quite have an interest in other cruisers other than those, but I'm open to new suggestions, because as I said, I'm a BB main that had only some hundreds of battles with cruisers, I don't know much about them so any help/advice/suggestion would be really appreciated.

If you're a BB oriented player... I suggest the heavy cruisers like the Graf Spe.

If you go lite cruisers, it will take away the carefree play style BB drivers are use to...

If you have to choose from your list... I vote for the Boise.

Edited by Navalpride33

[KREW]
Members
315 posts
18,788 battles

I would agree with ClassicLib.  Atago is the best of those for overall gameplay. If you play a lot of Narai though, Boise is a very nice choice as well.

[WMD]
Members
1,765 posts
10,041 battles

I have all four of the boats, and have played them to varying degrees.

Atago's heal, concealment, torps, and guns make her much more forgiving than the others you listed. She's the one I'd choose in your position.

Boise has a great heal, but it can be frustrating when you spend 90% of the fight outside of your weapons range but still well within everybody else's. 

Indy is not good... her only redeeming quality is radar.

Wichita is a very fun boat, but not forgiving if you make mistakes. 

Edited by VeatherVitch

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,513 posts

I have Atago, Boise, and Wichita, and they're all nice ships. 

Atago has good concealment for a heavy cruiser, hard-hitting 203s with a kinda slow ROF, and different torpedo arcs than most IJN cruisers (it's almost "four quarters" with some overlap on each side)... and Repair Party to go with Hydro.

Boise's ROF doesn't look great, but it has 15 barrels so its total shells downrange per minute is still good.  The Repair Party, though, is nuts, with right signal etc it almost prints a new ship.  (As mentioned below, the short range can be a challenge, and it really depends on your ability to hit superstructure and other vulnerable areas on higher-tier BBs to do damage to them.)  

Wichita is kinda the "ultra" version of New Orleans, and I mean that in a good way.  It has heavy cruiser armor and HP, light cruiser rudder and turn, and good (not great) guns.   If you see enemy shots coming from far enough away, you can literally "go around" the impact point with a couple quick changes of direction.   

I'd also recommend Prinz Eugen, it's tough as nails, has enhanced German HE pen, German cruiser Hydro, and that Repair Party.  

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Members
171 posts
11,963 battles

I agree with KilljoyCutter, you might want to look into the Prinz Eugen or maybe even the new Pyotr Bagration.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,513 posts
4 minutes ago, Rokkator said:

I agree with KilljoyCutter, you might want to look into the Prinz Eugen or maybe even the new Pyotr Bagration.

I don't have the Sacklunch so I can't make a recommendation either way, but LWM did just post her review: 

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,234 posts
24,629 battles
6 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Of those?  Atago by far.

It's going to come down to your preferred playstyle.  I will say that Atago was one of the first premium cruisers I owned and it's still one of my favorites.

I'd agree with Atago.

There are only 2 things wrong with her.  Her gun range isn't anything special.  It's great when she's top tier, but in a Tier IX-X game where even the BBs there are happy to crush Cruisers at 16km+, the range can be an issue.

The other thing wrong with her is a common IJN Cruiser problem... Very pronounced Citadels.  Not necessarily tall, it's just the Cits are very long.  The IJN loved to overstuff their CAs with lots of weapons:  Tons of 203mm guns and a very powerful torpedo system.  It means they got magazines galore to cause more 'splosions on them.

But she's stealthy, the 10km torps can sometimes throw an added dimension for attacks, IJN HE shells have fantastic HE damage numbers and good Fire Chances.  She also has Repair Party, which for Cruisers below Tier IX is a jealously guarded perk.

I want to add a warning though regarding her use, something I did a lot of when I was new and just got Atago.  A very common mistake that IJN CA players do is they get sloppy and desperate to launch their torpedoes.  The critical mistake is doing that when their CA is detected and the enemy is watching them.  A decent opponent just "knows" that you're trying to get off torpedoes and is waiting for you to show full broadside to do so.  That's where they hammer you.  I lost track how many times I got deleted in doing this, as well as seeing others commit that mistake.  A smarter IJN CA move is to fire your torpedoes while not detected.

As for the other ships the OP listed:

- Indianapolis - This ship has a very long and troubled history.  The guns aren't the problem, USN 203mm guns and their AP are actually quite good.  The problem is the poor concealment makes her a poor Radar Cruiser and that she is a very squishy Cruiser.  11.01km detection in Stealth Build, 10km Radar range but it only lasts 25 seconds, which isn't long.  In addition, to put that Radar into play, you have to push up aggressively... Ranges where she becomes easier to hit and so easier to crush with her bad protection scheme.

- Wichita - Get Tech Tree Baltimore the same tier for the same style of play FOR FREE.

- Boise - She has lots of guns and Repair Party access.  RP access in Tier VII is amazing.  She has two problems though.  Her max gun range is really short at only 13.56km.  When you're fighting Tier VIII-IX games with this Tier VII CL where maps get spaced out more and engagement ranges get longer, that 13.56km max gun range becomes totally unacceptable and very risky.  The range is so short that you can't even find an island to hide behind that's within range of the enemy on a number of those maps.  The last issue she has is the IFHE changes gutted the HE Pen of many mid tier CLs.  Even with IFHE Boise, as with Helena, Schors, Lazo, etc. cannot HE Pen 32mm armor, which is a critical armor threshold.  High Tier BBs move up to 32mm bows and FR & RN BBs there are coated in 32mm deck armor / armor belts / extremities.  Mid Tier CLs is not a good place to be anymore unless you're a German CL with those high HE Pen 150mm guns they have.

Boise when she's top tier, where the maps are smaller and the engagement ranges shorter, she becomes a monster.

Boise when she's bottom tier, she has major issues.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,931 posts
26,442 battles

The good and the bad of Indianapolis have been mentioned.

The Radar can be a shock to unwary destroyers, but you almost need a destroyer division mate, or an Atlanta, Boise, or other similar to make it work because your reload is so slow.

Indianapolis hits hard, but like Atlanta, takes raw, applicable experience to use well.

As has also been mentioned; Atago and Prinz Eugen may be your best bets.

Members
103 posts
7,602 battles

If you like BBs, why not buy Scharnhorst.  It is really a super cruiser, but it is listed a T-7 BB.  If they released it today, it would be a T-9 German Premium Cruiser.  20 second main battery reload great secondaries and nice torps.  I have Graf Spee and it is a fun unique ship.

Edited by Player_7629970598

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

Atago will likely suit you best. It's a tried and true ship, and the heal and reload will mean many of your skills carry over. It's gameplay is very representative of the Japanese cruiser line, which gives you a good place to start if you wanted to get into cruisers more.

A bit pricey, but you know how coupons work and she makes great credits.

[INTEL]
Members
3,304 posts
17,983 battles
25 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'd agree with Atago.

<snip>

I want to add a warning though regarding her use, something I did a lot of when I was new and just got Atago.  A very common mistake that IJN CA players do is they get sloppy and desperate to launch their torpedoes.  The critical mistake is doing that when their CA is detected and the enemy is watching them.  A decent opponent just "knows" that you're trying to get off torpedoes and is waiting for you to show full broadside to do so.  That's where they hammer you.  I lost track how many times I got deleted in doing this, as well as seeing others commit that mistake.  A smarter IJN CA move is to fire your torpedoes while not detected.

I learned early on to treat Atago torps as opportunistic only.  Toss them into a Cap or into the path of an oncoming BB or Cruiser.  The Atago guns are too good to take a risk with a torp run that will likely net you less than several gun salvos at range.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
72 posts
5,817 battles
[ALWC]
Members
1,189 posts
14,921 battles

If you are a bb main and I experienced with higher tier cruiser play neither of the t8 is a good choice. Both are great ships but have range limitations. You have to use positioning and knowledge to know when to shoot. They can both be unforgiving to a novice. Both need the knowledge of their lines to use effectively. 

Indy is just bad. Radar is awesome but that’s it. 

Boise has an awful range. 

the new Russian t8 with the 180 mm guns is what you are looking for 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,298 posts
12,202 battles
1 hour ago, BurstKiLL said:

Atago, seems outdated but I can't lie that it calls my deep inside weeb self. So is a ship that don't appeal much because of it's playstyle but more because of sentimental reasons. I can't deny that this is the one that most calls for my money.

in my 3-4 years in this game, ive yet to hear anyone have anything bad to say about the Atago, its one of the few premiums that have withstood the test of time in this game

[INTEL]
Members
3,304 posts
17,983 battles

This thread inspired me to play the Atago when my Div mate @Ares1967 asked for a T8 battle.  2425 Base XP in a T10 battle.  It took me awhile to learn the ship and this is how fun it can be if you get it right.

unknown.png?width=987&height=376

[NUWES]
Members
3,243 posts
11,541 battles

You can't ever go wrong with Atago. Heal and better torp arcs make it easier to play than most IJN CAs.

I love Wichita. It's basically a skinnier, stealthier Baltimore.

Boise is Helena but it trades reload, speed and a bit of agility for a heal. The durability is powerful like any heal on a cruiser but you have to be careful not to die quickly to make use of it.

Indy is a slightly squishier New Orleans with Des Moines' radar. The T7 meta can be brutal though and it doesn't have any tricks to keep it alive. 

I rank them in that order. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,712 posts
19,904 battles

Atago over the others you mentioned. Eugen might also be worth considering, she's tankier.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,470 posts
17,790 battles

Atago is certainly a fun ship with good guns, great torps, decent concealment, and a good all around play style. I also quite enjoy the Prinz Eugen and for me at least she feels tougher and able to take more punishment; probably just a bias towards German ships in general. 

One ship that hasn't been mentioned is the Italian T7 Cruiser Duca Abruzzi. It's certainly not for everyone but thus far for me is pretty fun. She's a kiting machine with sea mines for torps but pretty reasonable guns and AA, plus a heal at T7 which always helps.  Good speed allows you to relocate when needed and her concealment is excellent. It should also be added that she's a doubloon ship so you can use your coupon on her. Again, not for everyone but worth a look. 

Good luck and fair seas!

Scenarios - General Game Discussion - World of Warships official forum

• Cool 1

Members
443 posts
451 battles

I’m not a big fan of any of those four, really. For cruisers available, I like Perth a lot. She brings a lot of utility to T6 with a fun, unique playstyle. I think Prinz Eugen is pretty good and under-represented in the game. And finally, although many will disagree, I like Lazo; it’s a boat that just clicks with me, but not for everyone.

Also, as someone mentioned, Scharnhorst is just a good ship. The meta might change, but it’s too solid to ever go completely out of style, And it’s fun, which matters.

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
1,650 posts
2,806 battles

Wichita is really solid tier VIII heavy cruiser. Hard hitting guns, radar, decent AA, good stealth, reasonably fast (over 35 knots with speed flag), and stunning maneuverability. She’s often overlooked, much to the chagrin of her enemies, and the delight of her captains. 

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles

Free premium cruiser Kirov, all you have to do is grind the Russian cruiser to the Kirov in 1 week. Just research it and when the .9.5 hit, the Kirov become Premium

• Cool 1

[STAR3]
Members
4 posts
2,577 battles

I already got my sweet premium Kirov. I grinded the USSR cruisers until Chepayev already. But thanks for point it out.

There was more Atago suggestions than I though. My clan mate and friend told me to not get it because it is just "meh" ship and don't have anything good besides the accuracy that can't do much with the long reload. But having you guys telling me good things about her are making me want it even more. however now I will wait a little to see the Pyotr Bagration and take a look on Lazo and Prinz Eugen as you suggested.

I think I will just grind the USS Cruiser line to get the taste of Boise and Wichita, although I fear playing with Omaha, this thing, when I see it while playing battleship I always think "I see a free devastating strike for me".

Alaska seems to be a good option but is too much money for me, sorry but my currency is not in a good time now. And I don't have coal because I bought Georgia this month.

Thanks for all replies.

Sign in to follow this