Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Going Old School (PVE Thread)

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

9,193
[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,158 battles

So, generally speaking these days I get a T9 through early access and then FXP the T10 or get a T8 in early access and grind the T9 and FXP the T10. I decided to go old school this time though and actually grind the T9 to get the  T10. Last one I did that with was Kreml from Sovetsky Soyuz.

Got Riga in early access and have put enough XP on it I believe for the T10 Petropavlovsk. Felt strange to grind out a T10 again LOL. I didn't even go nuts with the special camos and flags. Just base flags and the perma camo for it from the event for most of the grind. I did use Type 59 camo some at the very end (last 20K XP) and I used some Dragon flags for a boost + the 1st win. But overall it was old school grinding in Co-op which meant a lot of games. Even got the RU Dasha Capt I assigned to it from 10pts to 17.5 pts while grinding! :cap_horn:

Riga is a pretty good ship so the grind was not a nightmare like grinding Donskoi to Moskva was. That was just one of the worst grinds in the game I have done and I got so frustrated I FXP'd a lot of it. I will also FXP the remaining XP I need for Alexander Nevsky when it arrives as I can not stomach playing Donskoi more. Have 145K on it and will gladly FXP the approx 100K left to avoid playing it more.  

Riga though, as said, is a good ship and fun to play. For a Cruiser (not just an RU Cruiser) it is pretty tough and the guns are just brutal. It's a citadel machine not only on Cruisers and CV's but BB's too. Anyone who has played in games with me during this grind knows I play Riga almost like a BB getting close and brawling. Not HE spamming from the back for me with Riga. Nope, it's AP and get close so I can spank stuff LOL. 

Riga will be a T9 I actually play some once I get to T10. Most of the time the T9's are pretty meh and I don't go back to play them much but Riga is stronk comrades.:Smile_izmena:

So the grind was...

  • Games played = 111
  • Average XP p/ game = 2265
  • Average damage p/ game = 76,105 (could be a little higher if I used HE more early for fires but the AP is so good I mainly stick with it)
  • High damage game = 167,467

Riga is a good, tough, ship. I highly recommend it for those who like to close in and brawl with tough ships and who prefer blapping stuff with AP vs spamming HE from the back. I got the event perma camo for Petropavlovsk waiting for it too. The part in all this that sucks is it doesn't arrive until update 9.6. Only Nevsky arrives next update with 9.5. :Smile_sad::Smile_veryhappy:

M7CEOUA.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
582
[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Yeah....not going to get it in early access. 

Keep getting 5 tokens per container and there is no way in heck I am buying crates.

Guess I will have to do this the REAL old school way - grind out the Shchors to Tallinn, Tallinn to Riga and Riga to Petro....all in CO-OP.

Although I did plan ahead with Tallinn - already earned enough on Shchors to get her when line drops, same with Nevesky on Donskoi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
299
[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,680 battles

I was pre-grinding Donskoi for quicker Nevsky, but I was converting some FXP for a b hull on something and when I did the game converted what I had on Donskoi!  So, I'll be FXP-ing past that *ahem* ship and grinding the Riga instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
616
[CO-OP]
Members
1,751 posts
26,053 battles

Completely agree on the Donkey grind (must be illegal shurely), I'm about 90k short just now and will be donating some FXP whenever Nevsky arrives to be done with her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,596
[WOLF8]
Members
7,593 posts
6,366 battles

Congrats, Admiral. Well done, as always. :Smile_great:

Wow, 111 games played. I am amazed, lol. :Smile_great::Smile_teethhappy:

As for me, for this whole week, I think I played about... a dozen games in total? LEL. :Smile_hiding:

I gotta say though, I'm personally not liking how Russian botes are keep stealing the close quarter combat specialty from the Germans. First it was the Vodka BB's, and now even their cruisers are tough nuts that are good for brawling... sigh. :Smile_sceptic:

Maybe it's just me, I donno. :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,930
[PVE]
Members
6,941 posts
22,709 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So, generally speaking these days I get a T9 through early access and then FXP the T10 or get a T8 in early access and grind the T9 and FXP the T10. I decided to go old school this time though and actually grind the T9 to get the  T10. Last one I did that with was Kreml from Sovetsky Soyuz.

Got Riga in early access and have put enough XP on it I believe for the T10 Petropavlovsk. Felt strange to grind out a T10 again LOL. I didn't even go nuts with the special camos and flags. Just base flags and the perma camo for it from the event for most of the grind. I did use Type 59 camo some at the very end (last 20K XP) and I used some Dragon flags for a boost + the 1st win. But overall it was old school grinding in Co-op which meant a lot of games. Even got the RU Dasha Capt I assigned to it from 10pts to 17.5 pts while grinding! :cap_horn:

Riga is a pretty good ship so the grind was not a nightmare like grinding Donskoi to Moskva was. That was just one of the worst grinds in the game I have done and I got so frustrated I FXP'd a lot of it. I will also FXP the remaining XP I need for Alexander Nevsky when it arrives as I can not stomach playing Donskoi more. Have 145K on it and will gladly FXP the approx 100K left to avoid playing it more.  

Riga though, as said, is a good ship and fun to play. For a Cruiser (not just an RU Cruiser) it is pretty tough and the guns are just brutal. It's a citadel machine not only on Cruisers and CV's but BB's too. Anyone who has played in games with me during this grind knows I play Riga almost like a BB getting close and brawling. Not HE spamming from the back for me with Riga. Nope, it's AP and get close so I can spank stuff LOL. 

Riga will be a T9 I actually play some once I get to T10. Most of the time the T9's are pretty meh and I don't go back to play them much but Riga is stronk comrades.:Smile_izmena:

So the grind was...

  • Games played = 111
  • Average XP p/ game = 2265
  • Average damage p/ game = 76,105 (could be a little higher if I used HE more early for fires but the AP is so good I mainly stick with it)
  • High damage game = 167,467

Riga is a good, tough, ship. I highly recommend it for those who like to close in and brawl with tough ships and who prefer blapping stuff with AP vs spamming HE from the back. I got the event perma camo for Petropavlovsk waiting for it too. The part in all this that sucks is it doesn't arrive until update 9.6. Only Nevsky arrives next update with 9.5. :Smile_sad::Smile_veryhappy:

M7CEOUA.jpg

I must be 1 of the oddballs...I actually enjoyed the Donskoi grind (but as a reference note I also enjoyed the Amagi & the Izumo & I ran them before the buffs...although I didn't do as well in the BBs as I did in the Donskoi).

But I used Donskoi as a brawler not only because it's AP was more effective closer but also because it's torps were quite trollish (although I was in random & humans don't get the built in automatic torps avoidance system like bots do :-)

Would have done better in the IJN BBs w/more experience but when I was able to stay focussed...wait...what was I talking about...

oh yeah...staying focussed...when I was able to stay focused those ships hit hard & were quite agile (against torps & incoming fire) to boot...again...as the stats for them will show...that was only when I was able to stay focussed.

I didn't top any boards in the Donskoi but overall it was 1 of the smoother T9 grinds for me...but due to the rest of the 4km torps range I was soured on the line & took a long while to get to it so had some more practice under my belt when I took it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,855
[WOLFG]
Members
10,692 posts
9,900 battles
6 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Still not even enough tokens for Mikoyan...

84443a84dc35998f4418d236dfadd8f8.jpg

The plane has more armor.

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,687
[PVE]
Members
4,675 posts
20,617 battles
9 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I must be 1 of the oddballs...I actually enjoyed the Donskoi grind (but as a reference note I also enjoyed the Amagi & the Izumo & I ran them before the buffs...although I didn't do as well in the BBs as I did in the Donskoi).

But I used Donskoi as a brawler not only because it's AP was more effective closer but also because it's torps were quite trollish (although I was in random & humans don't get the built in automatic torps avoidance system like bots do :-)

Would have done better in the IJN BBs w/more experience but when I was able to stay focussed...wait...what was I talking about...

oh yeah...staying focussed...when I was able to stay focused those ships hit hard & were quite agile (against torps & incoming fire) to boot...again...as the stats for them will show...that was only when I was able to stay focussed.

I didn't top any boards in the Donskoi but overall it was 1 of the smoother T9 grinds for me...but due to the rest of the 4km torps range I was soured on the line & took a long while to get to it so had some more practice under my belt when I took it on.

You are not alone.  I like the Donskoi as well.  Like the Bagration and see it as a Donskoi light.  Will have the Rigga as soon as the event gets that far.  My cross to bear was the Amagi.  I don't know why>?  They Izumo seemed easy to me as well.  After this event, I'm clan less since everyone left F/T.   Know any clans that accept potatoes?   

@AdmiralThunder well done....!!  I haven't played that much these last two days.  Ranked simply frustrated me.     Monday I'll be grinding the event because I want the Riga.  Other than that, I'm off to the range nest week and testing a 32 win special for a friend of mine......... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,930
[PVE]
Members
6,941 posts
22,709 battles
8 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

@IfYouSeeKhaos  I am also one of those "odd-balls" that enjoyed the Donskoi grind.  

image.thumb.png.8bbcc425e9fe5e94bec5f5d536617f04.png

Hope that the Nevsky is a decent ship.

I unfortunately was only referring to the original grind to get the Moskva as I haven't been able to play for quite awhile now so haven't gotten the extra XP for the Nevsky. Also hoping the Nevsky is a decent ship though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,698 posts
15,738 battles
15 hours ago, Efros said:

the Donkey grind (must be illegal shurely)

If you're grinding your donkey illegally, you're doing it wrong. The SPCA has been called.

(Yes, I know what you mean. Just having a bit of fun.)

16 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I did use Type 59 camo some at the very end (last 20K XP)

I often do that.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,193
[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,158 battles
6 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

You are not alone.  I like the Donskoi as well.  Like the Bagration and see it as a Donskoi light.  Will have the Rigga as soon as the event gets that far.  My cross to bear was the Amagi.  I don't know why>?  They Izumo seemed easy to me as well.  After this event, I'm clan less since everyone left F/T.   Know any clans that accept potatoes?   

@AdmiralThunder well done....!!  I haven't played that much these last two days.  Ranked simply frustrated me.     Monday I'll be grinding the event because I want the Riga.  Other than that, I'm off to the range nest week and testing a 32 win special for a friend of mine......... 

Contact Kizarvexis and see how long the PVE waiting list is.

My Brother has a Marlin lever action (not sure what year and model - 336 maybe but year?) that shoots .32 Winchester Special. I used to scrounge all his brass as I can convert it into reloadable brass for my 1897 Winchester model 94 .32-40. But now that .32 WS ammo is getting hard to get he keeps it. :Smile_sad::Smile_veryhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,687
[PVE]
Members
4,675 posts
20,617 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Contact Kizarvexis and see how long the PVE waiting list is.

My Brother has a Marlin lever action (not sure what year and model - 336 maybe but year?) that shoots .32 Winchester Special. I used to scrounge all his brass as I can convert it into reloadable brass for my 1897 Winchester model 94 .32-40. But now that .32 WS ammo is getting hard to get he keeps it. :Smile_sad::Smile_veryhappy:

Oh, you mean like this>>>>?

image.png.9a57797f7b4c84084378eba7bb4748c6.png

Wandered out to the garage few minutes after reading your post and I have a whole coffee can of them.  I load 32-40 for my 1893 Marlins (lead bullet versions).....  A very popular caliber in the late 19 and early 20th century. 

I just found an antique Kowa 3x9 for one my 336's in 32 WS,  that was built in the 1960's.  Kowa stopped making rifle scopes in the 60's because Americans wouldn't pay the big bucks for them!  I found this Kowa at a flea market yesterday for 25 bucks in VG condition and I have all sorts of Weaver steel 1" rings from the 60's:..........and, last night, instead of playing WoWs I mounted that scope to my 336 32WS and I'm off to the range next week to bore sight and zero it..........and, probably never shoot it again.  I have better Marlins for what I hunt and it is collectable:.........like that's ever stopped me.  Heck, I compete with an original 1893 in 38-55 (28 inch barrel) in steel silhouette knock down matches and have hunted with it (shoot a 245g lead HP.)  PM me if you need some.  I don't shoot 32-40 anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,193
[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,158 battles
2 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Oh, you mean like this>>>>?

image.png.9a57797f7b4c84084378eba7bb4748c6.png

Wandered out to the garage few minutes after reading your post and I have a whole coffee can of them.  I load 32-40 for my 1893 Marlins (lead bullet versions).....  A very popular caliber in the late 19 and early 20th century. 

I just found an antique Kowa 3x9 for one my 336's in 32 WS,  that was built in the 1960's.  Kowa stopped making rifle scopes in the 60's because Americans wouldn't pay the big bucks for them!  I found this Kowa at a flea market yesterday for 25 bucks in VG condition and I have all sorts of Weaver steel 1" rings from the 60's:..........and, last night, instead of playing WoWs I mounted that scope to my 336 32WS and I'm off to the range next week to bore sight and zero it..........and, probably never shoot it again.  I have better Marlins for what I hunt and it is collectable:.........like that's ever stopped me.  Heck, I compete with an original 1893 in 38-55 (28 inch barrel) in steel silhouette knock down matches and have hunted with it (shoot a 245g lead HP.)  PM me if you need some.  I don't shoot 32-40 anymore.

I am good but thanks. I have enough as I rarely shoot the gun. Was my Dad's so it just sits in my gun cabinet in a place of honor these days

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,687
[PVE]
Members
4,675 posts
20,617 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I am good but thanks. I have enough as I rarely shoot the gun. Was my Dad's so it just sits in my gun cabinet in a place of honor these days

Figured I offer.  Small world sometimes that you discussed 32-40 and I have all sorts of that brass.  And, 32WS.....  We'll see what it does on paper.  I only wish they still made the Silver Tip's........I hunted with them in the 60-70's and they were a one step bullet on White Tails in any of the 336's that used them.    You should see the 32-40 precision matches out here for single shot rifles......  It's quite accurate in the SS rifles and there are so many 32-40 variants it is staggering to watch these guys wander in from all over the world to shoot antique precision matches.....  It's all lead bullets as well.  '

Anyway, get well and I haven't been able to contact Kizarvexis via PM.  says he won't accept mail........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[KEGEL]
Members
276 posts
12,459 battles

Also don't get the Donkey hate, been flogging mine well after I picked up the Moskva. She even has her own 19pt captain.

Personally found the Fat Freddy (pre buffs) & Lion to be the worst tier 9 grinds. Never grinded the Uzumo but later bought her as she's one of the better tier 9 BBs now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
194
[WOLF9]
Members
913 posts
20,935 battles

Thanks Admiral.  really looking forward to the Riga.

I have ground out about 100k on my Schors for the Tallinn so far and about 180k on the Donskoi for the Nevsky.  I am NOT a fan of RU cruisers, and the Schors is really not my cup of tea at all.  The Donskoi is a lot better than the Chappy, so that is a little more bearable.  I am taking it slow, usually one match a day with both of them.  On the day of release, I will just FXP anything I need to get the Tallinn and Nevsky.

I don't believe I will have enough tokens to get the Tallinn early access anytime soon, so I will have to grind in the Tallinn completely to get to the Riga.

Token wise, I am 5 tokens short of the Tallinn's perma camo.  I should get that in the next few days.  I do have the Mikoyan, so every week I can pick up another 105 tokens there.  Neither the Okachov or the P Bagration interest me, so I am not getting those ships or missions for tokens from them.   Any more tokens I get will have to be from the crates, which is the usual 5 per crate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,193
[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,158 battles
1 hour ago, SlightlyComatose said:

Also don't get the Donkey hate, been flogging mine well after I picked up the Moskva. She even has her own 19pt captain.

Personally found the Fat Freddy (pre buffs) & Lion to be the worst tier 9 grinds. Never grinded the Uzumo but later bought her as she's one of the better tier 9 BBs now.

I have a 19pt Capt on Donskoi but I still hate the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,193
[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,158 battles
43 minutes ago, kyesac said:

Thanks Admiral.  really looking forward to the Riga.

I have ground out about 100k on my Schors for the Tallinn so far and about 180k on the Donskoi for the Nevsky.  I am NOT a fan of RU cruisers, and the Schors is really not my cup of tea at all.  The Donskoi is a lot better than the Chappy, so that is a little more bearable.  I am taking it slow, usually one match a day with both of them.  On the day of release, I will just FXP anything I need to get the Tallinn and Nevsky.

I don't believe I will have enough tokens to get the Tallinn early access anytime soon, so I will have to grind in the Tallinn completely to get to the Riga.

Token wise, I am 5 tokens short of the Tallinn's perma camo.  I should get that in the next few days.  I do have the Mikoyan, so every week I can pick up another 105 tokens there.  Neither the Okachov or the P Bagration interest me, so I am not getting those ships or missions for tokens from them.   Any more tokens I get will have to be from the crates, which is the usual 5 per crate.

I put enough XP on Shchors for the Tallinn but then got it in early access. :Smile_facepalm::Smile_veryhappy:

I really was trying hard to get all the XP needed on Donskoi to ONCE AGAIN research the T10 past it (Nevsky this time) but I can't stomach playing it. I am definitely using FXP for the approx 100K XP I have left.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
616
[CO-OP]
Members
1,751 posts
26,053 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I have a 19pt Capt on Donskoi but I still hate the ship.

My Donkey also has a 19pt capt, but he has threatened me with mutiny and implored me to send him to the salt mines in Siberia as he's about as fed up with this second grind as I am. His respite will come as he will be installed on Nevsky when she arrives.

Edited by Efros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,193
[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,158 battles
33 minutes ago, Efros said:

My Donkey also has a 19pt capt, but he has threatened me with mutiny and implored me to send him to the salt mines in Siberia as he's about as fed up with this second grind as I am. His respite will come as he will be installed on Nevsky when she arrives.

Same for me. My Moskva Capt will go on Petropavlovsk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×