Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Suggestion for a dd to play in Ranked (Shiratsuyu)

9 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,675 battles

For those of you who have high tier captains (17 pts and above) in your T8-10 IJN dds, I suggest moving them (temporarily) into the Shiratsuyu if she doesn't have a high point captain (mine currently is an 11).  I admit that it will cost you $$ to move the captain (500 dbs for retraining and 500 more to move them back to their original ship) but the results are quite satisfying.  I move my 19 pt Shima captain into the Shirat and loaded TRB instead of smoke.  You will want Radio Location as a captain's skill so as not to be surprised by a Haida which has a 0.1 km advantage in concealment and the Indianapolis radar (10 km) is the same as your torps so you will need to pay attention to where she is, but the other two radar cruisers at T7 (Atlanta and Belfast) only have a radar range of 8.5 km so your torps can reach them beyond the distance that they can radar you.

I've watched the vids from the usual suspects of CCs when they've suggested dds to play in the current Ranked session.  I absolutely agree that dds like the Haida, Z-39, and Skane are excellent choices.  I'm just suggesting that if you love pure torp-boat gameplay that this is a viable option.

Let me know what you think.

Update:  I worked up to the Skane today.  If you have have a 10 pt captain and chose TAE as a Captains skill and TTM1 as an upgrade, she has 80 km torps with a 12 km range with reloads that are ridiculously fast.  The Shirat is stealthier but the Skane can spit out torps much faster.  

Edited by AMajor

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,677 posts
35,847 battles

Worth a try.

Been using Jervis & Sims. Tried Vauquelin and did well.

Haida and Shira are next in line.

Re: Captain. I moved a 19pointer from Jutland into Jervis so I already paid the cost :(

[O_O]
Members
674 posts

Haida was fun but the crawling smoke is annoying since I only use smoke if I screwed up and need to disengage.  So I tried playing more sneaky with TRB Shiratsuyu and discovered that this is the way.  A 16 torp salvo towards their spawn will makes BBs think twice about pushing, and if you get lucky you might hit a DD for 90% of his health rendering him practically useless for the match.  I only use my guns if I need to secure a kill or set some fires from a position I can easily go dark.

[PVE]
Members
6,916 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, Rustyhole said:

Haida was fun but the crawling smoke is annoying since I only use smoke if I screwed up and need to disengage.  So I tried playing more sneaky with TRB Shiratsuyu and discovered that this is the way.  A 16 torp salvo towards their spawn will makes BBs think twice about pushing, and if you get lucky you might hit a DD for 90% of his health rendering him practically useless  for the match.  I only use my guns if I need to secure a kill or set some fires from a position I can easily go dark.

Unless you just charged his Adrenalin Rush for 20% faster reloading torps.

His guns will be practically useless unless he has unicum dodging abilities but his torps (especially if he is also a Shira w/TRB) are now OP status.

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,675 battles
On 5/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, AMajor said:

Update:  I worked up to the Skane today.  If you have have a 10 pt captain and chose TAE as a Captains skill and TTM1 as an upgrade, she has 80 km torps with a 12 km range with reloads that are ridiculously fast.  The Shirat is stealthier but the Skane can spit out torps much faster.  

Just wanted folks to be aware that I updated my post.  Now, given a choice between the two, I would take the Skane over the Shrat, but it's really close.  It is important to admit when you've imparted information that need additional clarification.

Edited by AMajor

[DBM]
Members
546 posts
10,675 battles

Here's a great video explaining how to use her in Ranked.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this