You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SidTheBlade

Teh Mighty Mighty Vauquelin

12 comments in this topic

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,179 battles

Ranked was driving me clean out of my tiny mind. I went from 9 to 12, including 4 last place finishes. I was the mega potato, playing the ships recommended by the experts. Sinop, Shiryatsu, Fiji. Nothing was working. If I went forward, I got smashed and abused in chat. If I hung back, I got abused for being a "sniper loser". It was all abuse, and my karma went to zero incredibly fast.

Then I noticed that I had a tier 7 DD that I was in the middle of grinding. The no smoke, fast torp throwing, all guns blazing Vauquelin. The experts did not recommend this ship. I figured, if I am going to lose my mind in ranked, at least I can grind some XP on this bad boy. So, then this happened:

tehmightyVauquelin.PNG.d73a80096544936f8e59b7ed02c02281.PNG

Back to rank 8, then 7, and the steel is flowing.

All praise teh mighty Vauq. Wot a ship.

The secret of it's success is not having smoke. You have to spot first, assault second. Although I top scored a few times (twice), most of the contribution was spotting. I was fast enough (45knts) to get on the flank and spot, allowing my team the initiative. I can't rate this tactic highly enough. If you know where they are, and they don't, panic sets in as the blind firing commences. Pretty soon they turn this way and that, and broadsides open everywhere.

I am not saying ranked is teaching me how to play, but. Ranked is sort of teaching me how to play. Spot first. Then kill, then cap.

• Cool 3

[CK5]
Members
1,452 posts
15,449 battles

A very well known streamer has been using Vauquelin with much success in ranked.  

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,676 posts
35,844 battles

Lost last 5 in a row in Ranked (Yorck, Sims, and Jervis). I like those three.

Maybe I should give Vauquelin a  try. I'm back in irrevocable so what do I have to lose?

[V_V_V]
Members
806 posts
15,923 battles
2 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

I can't rate this tactic highly enough.

^ this.  I read your post and went to my Vaquelin for 4 straight from R10 to R9.  Thanks for the tips.

Members
20 posts
11,180 battles

I consider my self a good vauquelin captain in random, here in ranked I tried my common Rush tactic to hunt a DD and then disengage, but doesn't work well here, cuz the over extend and being under crossfire (in ranked people has a lot of good aim, I get used to the random average bad aim) leave me almost died the most of the time, but changing the táctic to spot first for the steam, see if my side is weak or not, to hunt a DD with radio position Finder if he is alone, Make me carry a lot for the team, vauquelin is a blast.

My setup is:

Incoming fire alert, last stand, expert marskman, adrenaline rush, basic fire training, advance fire training and Radio position Finder with a Honoré brother, he is a vauquelin captain but I used him in Le Terrible the most of the time as one of my favourite ships in the Game.

PD: Minks and Leningrad are powerfull ships too for this ranked, not brutal ambushers, but a lot better for mid and ranged combat.

Edited by Julius_Persi
  • Cool 1

[ANK-A]
Members
1,313 posts
10,957 battles
4 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

I am not saying ranked is teaching me how to play, but. Ranked is sort of teaching me how to play. Spot first. Then kill, then cap.

Hallelujah!!    A player is saved!

At the beginning of each match, I try to remind the DDs exactly that.... spotting is the name of the game....crucial in my case since I've been playing Flint. 

But they just don't get it... played 3 games yesterday.  Got 2 high calibers and in two games I got every single kill....but all losses.  Even though I saved my star in all, I gave up for day after that.  We'll see what today brings.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,240 posts
11,474 battles

It's been working well for me. It isn't as fast as the later French DDs, but it works. It can pretty much erase any other DD it catches that doesn't turn away in 4 salvos and it can blow away some CLs like Shchors.  I got a 130,000 damage game yesterday with her in ranked yesterday. That was my best damage game in any ship in any ranked match.

It isn't an easy ship to play though. I've been playing Le Terrible and Mogodor for a while now so Vauquellin is pretty standard for me. The concealment is one of the worst for DDs at this tier so stealthy DDs that react fast can turn away. If they stop quickly and smoke before you kill them they can also leave you high and dry while the rest of their team kills you. On the other hand it has about 1.5km of distance to stealth torp, and most of the T7 DDs aren't that much stealthier than it is so while they'll spot you first they don't have much time to react. 

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,240 posts
11,474 battles
4 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

Ranked was driving me clean out of my tiny mind. I went from 9 to 12, including 4 last place finishes. I was the mega potato, playing the ships recommended by the experts. Sinop, Shiryatsu, Fiji. Nothing was working. If I went forward, I got smashed and abused in chat. If I hung back, I got abused for being a "sniper loser". It was all abuse, and my karma went to zero incredibly fast.

Then I noticed that I had a tier 7 DD that I was in the middle of grinding. The no smoke, fast torp throwing, all guns blazing Vauquelin. The experts did not recommend this ship. I figured, if I am going to lose my mind in ranked, at least I can grind some XP on this bad boy. So, then this happened:

The secret of it's success is not having smoke. You have to spot first, assault second. Although I top scored a few times (twice), most of the contribution was spotting. I was fast enough (45knts) to get on the flank and spot, allowing my team the initiative. I can't rate this tactic highly enough. If you know where they are, and they don't, panic sets in as the blind firing commences. Pretty soon they turn this way and that, and broadsides open everywhere.

Lol. You checked the wrong experts.  @SeaRaptor recommended Vauquelin and I think Flamu and a couple of others considered her to be a good dark horse candidate.  It can be a bully with no CVs and no uptiering to worry about. 

Members
1,093 posts
4,792 battles

I actually used the Vauquelin for ranked. I ground it out and just got the Le Fantasque. I consider the Vauquelin to be extremely strong, with the only downside being the low shell velocity ( lowest in the game, I think )

:SerB:

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,684 posts
12,811 battles
On 5/23/2020 at 3:35 PM, Tzarevitch said:

You checked the wrong experts.

I don't know if I consider myself an expert, but Vauquelin is an excellent pick for ranked.

[ARCO]
Members
883 posts
1,312 battles

Vauquelin is an extreme DD. On same day I ran at full speed into the full enemy team and rapidly erased, to be in 2caps, destroy 3 of the enemy DDs and severely damaged the fourth, being praised in chat by teammates.

But that is common to all French DDs, specially top tiers.

Members
2,094 posts
32,398 battles
On 5/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, SidTheBlade said:

With the relatively small maps, getting out of the flank is imperative in my mind. Otherwise, it's just a battle of attrition around a few islands.