You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

Where's everyone in Rank 5?

42 comments in this topic

[UEFN]
Members
1,346 posts
23,689 battles

Got to R5 over a day ago and there's practically nobody there in the queue, over 30min and still not enough people to drop.  I thought MM would mix different ranks together? doesn't seem to be the case.....

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

Right now for most of the people it's currently somewhere from 3am to 7am.

There's only about 150 people at Rank 5 or higher in total.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,445 posts
17,701 battles

I stopped at rank 10 so congratulations on getting that far. Good luck on finishing!

finish line Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

[FML]
Members
4,079 posts
15,904 battles
1 hour ago, Xcalib3r said:

Got to R5 over a day ago and there's practically nobody there in the queue, over 30min and still not enough people to drop.  I thought MM would mix different ranks together? doesn't seem to be the case.....

Ah, well, I would have liked to join you there, but alas my star has fallen back to 11... 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,467 battles
2 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

Good start to the season! R5 queue doesnt regurlay fill up at all times of day for another week or so at least. I would suggest taking the time off and doing some other stuff, or trying to play at NA prime time (evenings)

Members
2,352 posts
32,360 battles

'Cause most of us really suck.  Some are paralyzed with fear and indecision and stay where they were spawned.  These swashbucklers may not be able to find their way to rank 5.

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts

There needs to be irrevocable at 8 or 5.  The idea of going from 12 to 1 is silly.  Made it to 9 then back to 11 then back to 9 its ust not worth it.

Rank is actual fun and intrestinf but the constant back and forth make its frustrating to do.  I know if it was not hard it would not be worth it but how many have the time to make it to 1.

• Boring 1

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,891 battles
6 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

Not nearly enough time for enough people to make Rank 5. I'm stuck at 8. The issue is that past rank 10, often the teams are composed of players where the average winrate is 60%+ for the entire team. They are pretty good teams which makes it harder for any single player to carry the match, and progression slows considerably. It will be more than a few days till enough people are at Rank 5 for the wait times to be acceptable.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,891 battles
9 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

There needs to be irrevocable at 8 or 5.  The idea of going from 12 to 1 is silly.  Made it to 9 then back to 11 then back to 9 its ust not worth it.

Rank is actual fun and intrestinf but the constant back and forth make its frustrating to do.  I know if it was not hard it would not be worth it but how many have the time to make it to 1.

I agree, 12 - 1 is way too time consuming for the vast majority of players. Irrevocable at 8 and 5 sounds almost perfect. Enough to not be crazy time consuming, but to common so as to be easy.

[SALVO]
Members
5,173 posts
4,474 battles

1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

IMO, Rank 1 is supposed to be a significant achievement, not a free participation medal for all involved. It is meant to be hard and not doable by the masses. 

Please, no "We are all winners" politic for Ranked.

I'm not sure I will do it, I'm not sure I've the skill, stamina and resources to do it, but I want to still be challenged and feel in some sense proud of achieving it.

• Cool 2

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,891 battles
11 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

IMO, Rank 1 is supposed to be a significant achievement, not a free participation medal for all involved. It is meant to be hard and not doable by the masses. 

I'm not sure I will do it, I'm not sure I've the skill, stamina and resources to do it, but I want to still be challenged and feel in some sense proud of achieving it.

But Rank 1 is not a significant achievement and there is nothing actually hard and skilled based about obtaining it. It's literally simply a game of how many games you are will to play. A person can rank out with a 45% winrate in Ranked battles.

The skill play as a team is not significantly higher than any random random match. It's just a variation of a random match that occurs in seasons and provides better rewards.

I don't feel particularly skilled, or proud, when I reach rank 1, nor even rewarded for that effort. I could not care less if 90% of players reach rank 1.

If I want to feel an accomplishment, then I'd need to set goals like ranking out in X number of matches, but that is an internal goal, not one set by the game.

• Boring 2

[NH]
Members
1,792 posts
32 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Whiff, thats the sound of the OPs post going over your head. The point is if there is not enough players in the higher ranks to form a game then there is a problem. Due to the random nature of randomly matched teams you dont have 100% control of your rankings. Additional irrevocable ranks needed or less ranks to reach rank 1. Let this sink in, If you sit in queue at rank 5 for 30 mins without a game you have already ranked out.

• Boring 1

[NH]
Members
1,792 posts
2 hours ago, Xanthro said:

Not nearly enough time for enough people to make Rank 5. I'm stuck at 8. The issue is that past rank 10, often the teams are composed of players where the average winrate is 60%+ for the entire team. They are pretty good teams which makes it harder for any single player to carry the match, and progression slows considerably. It will be more than a few days till enough people are at Rank 5 for the wait times to be acceptable.

I cant get a game where after I rank up the teams are comprised of a higher rank. My next team just gets comprised of a mix of the same players we just played with and I get pulled down with them. ping pong from rank 9/10 over and over.

[SALVO]
Members
5,173 posts
4,474 battles
1 hour ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Whiff, 

Maybe you were too busy dodging all the whiff around you to realize I was addressing other post, no OP's.

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Did not say that. Ir would be an achievement to make ot with a stop at 5.

[UEFN]
Members
1,346 posts
23,689 battles

More people are getting into R5 now so i plowed through it over the long weekend, Mahan fit me like gloves, the extra 1 guns made a huge difference in DPM over Sims, Leningrad is also awesome for me.  I didn't click with Payfast and sinOP, just didn't seems to connect with them at all, the Ashitaka is a good counter against sinOP infestation, it's just like the Amagi and Kii, solid 410mm guns.   Got a lot of competent good players from both sides most of the time, it's still early so it isn't as bad as in R10.

R1.JPG

Rank 16 ships.JPG

Edited by Xcalib3r

[GGWP]
Members
7,085 posts
16,345 battles
On 5/23/2020 at 9:46 AM, jags_domain said:

So you are saying you haven't made it to 8 or 5? I would suggest arguing for a irrevocable at rank 9 first maybe. 

Members
2,352 posts
32,360 battles
On 5/23/2020 at 11:03 AM, Xanthro said:

A person can rank out with a 45% winrate in Ranked battles.

I think this has been discussed before; and even if it is mathematically possible, I think the instances of this occurring are very rare.

Edited by slokill_1

[NFJF]
Members
693 posts
10,365 battles

Coming from someone who has played every season, but only ranked out for the first time ever last season, R5 is easily the worst rank in the grind and where many players "myself included" will often get stuck. R5 is basically the glass ceiling where players have to decide if they can handle the multiple back and fourths they will face before they finally get past it. It took me about 5 days last season winning and losing in r5 before I finally broke into R4. In R4 you are basically fighting to not regress back to R5. IMO once you hit R3, you should rank out. Once you're at R3 you have enough of a cushion to make it as long as you have enough sense not to continue on a losing streak. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that the skill level of the players goes up quite a bit once you hit R5 and therefore you really have to be playing your best every match to not lose or at least keep a star. I think you also have to pay attention to what the meta is and go with it, like it or not once you hit R5 or higher. Also, less importantly, I think the rewards for R5 are pretty terrible, no steel, only a flag that does have good perks, but you don't even get to keep it. Personally, I don't see a problem with making R5 irrevocable either.  Another thing that has helped me is to only try to get 1 rank a day on week days and maybe 2 on weekend days "depending on how it goes."

Edited by admiralsexybeast
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts
15 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

So you are saying you haven't made it to 8 or 5? I would suggest arguing for a irrevocable at rank 9 first maybe. 

I got to 8 then back to 10 then up to 9. The idea of that many wins in a row is just a bridge to far.

I actually like the challange and differnt play stile than random.  

• Boring 1

[NFJF]
Members
693 posts
10,365 battles
2 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I got to 8 then back to 10 then up to 9. The idea of that many wins in a row is just a bridge to far.

I actually like the challange and differnt play stile than random.  

I typically get down to R5 pretty easily, but that's where I usually get stuck. After I ranked out last season and more or less proved to myself that I could do it, I'm more optimistic going into it this season than I would've been before.

Members
803 posts

The lack of players at higher ranks is likely a combination of it being a holiday weekend, the high star requirement above rank 10, poor gameplay associated with a lower tier season, and the lack of irrevocable rank past 10. 

Members
20 posts
549 battles
38 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Coming from someone who has played every season, but only ranked out for the first time ever last season, R5 is easily the worst rank in the grind and where many players "myself included" will often get stuck. R5 is basically the glass ceiling where players have to decide if they can handle the multiple back and fourths they will face before they finally get past it. It took me about 5 days last season winning and losing in r5 before I finally broke into R4. In R4 you are basically fighting to not regress back to R5. IMO once you hit R3, you should rank out. Once you're at R3 you have enough of a cushion to make it as long as you have enough sense not to continue on a losing streak. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that the skill level of the players goes up quite a bit once you hit R5 and therefore you really have to be playing your best every match to not lose or at least keep a star. I think you also have to pay attention to what the meta is and go with it, like it or not once you hit R5 or higher. Also, less importantly, I think the rewards for R5 are pretty terrible, no steel, only a flag that does have good perks, but you don't even get to keep it. Personally, I don't see a problem with making R5 irrevocable either.  Another thing that has helped me is to only try to get 1 rank a day on week days and maybe 2 on weekend days "depending on how it goes."

This has got to be the best statement so far - Only thing I would say is this.. unless you are a schlepp like me and have to look everywhere for the meta only to realize that I have two ships for the ranked tier and have to grind to get any more.

I probably wont spend much time in ranked - I dont have a variety of ships to use. R12 is hard enough for me - 5 has got to be a slaughter.

[UEFN]
Members
1,346 posts
23,689 battles
45 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Last season i dropped out of R5 like five or six times, it was the usual 5-6-5-6-5-6 fiasco, which is pretty typical in all previous seasons.  Luckily this time around i didn't drop out of rank in the premier league at all, got on a winning streak in the Mahan and went from R5 to R1 progressively, I'm extremely aggressive but not suicidal in the Mahan hunting down all the DD as well as contesting caps, same as in my Leningrad from R10 to R6.   on a loss i usually keep the star.  

• Cool 1

[NFJF]
Members
693 posts
10,365 battles

Shiratsuyu with torpedo reload booster has been my go to this season. Great at spotting and torping BBs that try to camp behind islands all game as well as git rid of DDs that sit in their smoke.