You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TadpoleFishTaco

Is it alright that I'm not doing very much damage in my Cossack?

12 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Members
84 posts
3,704 battles

I generally score near the top of my team's leaderboard in my Cossack, but I keep finding myself struggling to do damage. I have roughly a 2.0 K/D ratio but since that's mostly DDs, my damage it pretty low. I'm also struggling to land torpedoes and I think that is part of the reason I don't do a lot of damage, as I prefer using my concealment to sneak around, spot, and cap, and use my smokes to break contact and run rather than sit and farm. Somehow I'm finding myself having much higher damage games much more often in my Jervis with only an 8 pt captain (I have a 14pt cpt on Cossack). I love playing Cossack though so I'm hoping Lightning will it me like a glove as a combination of Jervis and Cossack.

• Cool 2

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles

If you are killing off enemy DDs, dominating caps and controlling vision then you are definitely doing what you need to do

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,278 posts
10,382 battles

Quality of damage means more than quantity of damage.  Cossack and her younger sister, Haida, are notorious for not farming high damage totals given their inclination to contest caps, spot and bully other lolibotes.  If you're winning consistently and having fun, don't fuss about your damage totals.  These destroyers aren't designed to farm damage off big ships very well -- they're instead meant to be scouts and destroyer knife fighters.

• Cool 5

[BIER]
Members
263 posts
10,014 battles

I love the Cossack! I have over 600 games in her. And let me tell you, you are playing her exactly as she is supposed to be played. 
Concerning torps, they reload so fast so don’t hesitate to fire them off blindly into high traffic areas. Also single firing them into a inattentive BB really ruins their day.

Few other notes. With a 5.5 detect, you will see mist DDs first. If you can ride the line of spotting them and not being detected, they alway turn tail and run when your team starts raining shells down on them.

I put the super captain on her, forget his name. But the extra consumables with two kills and fast reload with just a few torp hits has saved my bacon many times late game.

The Cossack is going to dominate in the next ranked season!

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Members
84 posts
3,704 battles
9 hours ago, Dath_1 said:

If you are killing off enemy DDs, dominating caps and controlling vision then you are definitely doing what you need to do

8 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Quality of damage means more than quantity of damage.  Cossack and her younger sister, Haida, are notorious for not farming high damage totals given their inclination to contest caps, spot and bully other lolibotes.  If you're winning consistently and having fun, don't fuss about your damage totals.  These destroyers aren't designed to farm damage off big ships very well -- they're instead meant to be scouts and destroyer knife fighters.

8 hours ago, Mister_Tanman said:

I love the Cossack! I have over 600 games in her. And let me tell you, you are playing her exactly as she is supposed to be played. 
Concerning torps, they reload so fast so don’t hesitate to fire them off blindly into high traffic areas. Also single firing them into a inattentive BB really ruins their day.

Few other notes. With a 5.5 detect, you will see mist DDs first. If you can ride the line of spotting them and not being detected, they alway turn tail and run when your team starts raining shells down on them.

I put the super captain on her, forget his name. But the extra consumables with two kills and fast reload with just a few torp hits has saved my bacon many times late game.

The Cossack is going to dominate in the next ranked season!

Thanks for the feedback :) I'm having a blast in her and I love the knife fighting, I just wasn't sure if it was bad that I was getting smaller damage figures. 

I also experimented with the single launch torps and using them to bait ships into turning into the rest of my torps and it bumped my damage numbers up for the last few games.

• Cool 1

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
1 minute ago, TadpoleFishTaco said:

Thanks for the feedback :) I'm having a blast in her and I love the knife fighting, I just wasn't sure if it was bad that I was getting smaller damage figures. 

I also experimented with the single launch torps and using them to bait ships into turning into the rest of my torps and it bumped my damage numbers up for the last few games.

Single launched torps are a blast. Just remember that vision control wins games, the best BB player cant do much if he has nothing to shoot... 

[GGWP]
Members
84 posts
3,704 battles
Just now, Dath_1 said:

Single launched torps are a blast. Just remember that vision control wins games, the best BB player cant do much if he has nothing to shoot... 

That's true. I have no reservations against racking up spotting damage and bullying caps. 

Is Lightning more similar to Cossack's playstyle with its stealth or is it more similar to Jervis'? I don't really know how to define Jervis since it has some stealth, but it still gets outspotted by a fair amount of DDs.

[BIER]
Members
263 posts
10,014 battles

Lighting gives up a turret for an extra torp launcher. Makes her a more well rounded ship, which goes against why I love the Cossack. 
Lighting guns are better at range, but I’m never shooting at range in my dd.

Lighting is a good ship, but I don’t really compare her to the Cossack because I like Cossack for her knife fights. 😁

[MKF]
Members
583 posts
20,416 battles
1 hour ago, TadpoleFishTaco said:

That's true. I have no reservations against racking up spotting damage and bullying caps. 

Is Lightning more similar to Cossack's playstyle with its stealth or is it more similar to Jervis'? I don't really know how to define Jervis since it has some stealth, but it still gets outspotted by a fair amount of DDs.

Lightning is just awesome... relatively stealthy, good firepower, great turret traverse and you can devastate ships with the single fire torps.  It plays a bit different but that's where the Brit line became really fun for me 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,679 posts
2,621 battles
12 hours ago, TadpoleFishTaco said:

I generally score near the top of my team's leaderboard in my Cossack, but I keep finding myself struggling to do damage. I have roughly a 2.0 K/D ratio but since that's mostly DDs, my damage it pretty low. I'm also struggling to land torpedoes and I think that is part of the reason I don't do a lot of damage, as I prefer using my concealment to sneak around, spot, and cap, and use my smokes to break contact and run rather than sit and farm. Somehow I'm finding myself having much higher damage games much more often in my Jervis with only an 8 pt captain (I have a 14pt cpt on Cossack). I love playing Cossack though so I'm hoping Lightning will it me like a glove as a combination of Jervis and Cossack.

No, it isn't all right at all.  In fact, you should just give your Cossack to me, so that I can play her properly.

I'm lying, I just really want a Cossack.

• Funny 3

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,299 posts
14 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

What she said

[BIER]
Members
263 posts
10,014 battles

Also, with the right upgrades you get a 3 1/2 minute hydro.

Edited by Mister_Tanman