4,805 posts
16,968 battles

Rare?

Medium?

Done?

Well done?

Burnt beyond all recognition?

Crispy critter?

Been having troubles with my computer restarting after a couple games. Knew I had troubles but didn’t know where. A fellow clan mate suggested a program to monitor GPU performance called MSI Afterburner. Check out the temperature. What’s weird is I opened my tower and all fans was running. Guess all good things must come to a end.

B0799486-6F35-45B6-B041-A3DDDBCF88C4.jpeg

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,712 posts
19,894 battles

Are your fans clogged? Is there sufficient airflow? Might want to clean out your fans.

• Cool 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,805 posts
16,968 battles
11 minutes ago, Lert said:

Are your fans clogged? Is there sufficient airflow? Might want to clean out your fans.

I opened my tower up and blew out all the dust bunnies. It needed it. I plugged the tower up and checked and all fans was working. The GPU, CPU, vent, and power supply fans was all working. It’s a older computer. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Rare?

Medium?

Done?

Well done?

Burnt beyond all recognition?

Crispy critter?

Been having troubles with my computer restarting after a couple games. Knew I had troubles but didn’t know where. A fellow clan mate suggested a program to monitor GPU performance called MSI Afterburner. Check out the temperature. What’s weird is I opened my tower and all fans was running. Guess all good things must come to a end.

B0799486-6F35-45B6-B041-A3DDDBCF88C4.jpeg

Actually, the max rated temp for the GT 730 is 98 C, or pretty much what you are showing there. That is, you haven't "fried" anything yet.

1. Download and run HWMonitor. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
  2. This will show you the voltages and temps for all the components of your system that have sensors. It will also show you the fan speeds, if your system is set up to detect them. If a voltages are off, temps are high, or a fan speed seems low then this should be addressed.
  3. Clean out your system. This includes the heatsink fins and fans for both the CPU and GPU, any filters, and the PSU (don't open it -- the energy stored in its capacitors can kill you.) When blowing out a fan block it so that it doesn't spin. Air-spinning fans can not only damage them mechanically, it can generate electrical current that can feed back into and possibly damage your system. Make sure all connections are tight. Remove and re-insert your video card and its connectors to remove any corrosion.
  4. If voltages are not withing spec then you probably need a new PSU. A bad power supply can actually cause other components to overheat by slowing fans and itself generating too much heat.
  5. If fan speeds are still too slow with adequate power then replace them with a high-volume fans. Adding one or two fans isn't a bad idea either.
  6. Replace your GPU heatsink's thermal compound. Thermal compound doesn't last forever and the thermal interface between your GPU chip and its heatsink may have failed.
  7. If you still can't get GPU temps down then boot up your GPU's overclocking app and underclock it 5-10%. Many GPUs come factory overclocked but they may need to go back to a standard clock as they age.
  8. You may need to get a new video card.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2

Members
15 posts
272 battles

I absolutely feel your pain, years back I had this horrible situation where my video cards used to just fry themselves one after the other for reasons I'm not technologically inclined enough to ever comprehend. That said, I can give absolutely no advice in order to help, but I wanted to stand in solidarity and support in your struggles against the tyranny of technology. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,805 posts
16,968 battles

Mystery solved

The cooling fan under the graphics card is failing. Just barely turning. I may see if I can find a cooling fan replacement. Just hate to be out a lot of money. Have a new PC unit ordered already from Dell. Due to the Corona pandemic all orders are delayed. So a two week wait.....

Gah!!!!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
9 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Mystery solved

The cooling fan under the graphics card is failing. Just barely turning. I may see if I can find a cooling fan replacement. Just hate to be out a lot of money. Have a new PC unit ordered already from Dell. Due to the Corona pandemic all orders are delayed. So a two week wait.....

Gah!!!!

If you don't mind a little noise you can get a cheap case fan for $5, a fair one for $10 and a decent one for $15.

Not too bad $13

6189J-6oj7L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00120A-Pressure-Optimized-Sharing-Technology/dp/B07GJGF56L/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1DNPL04PZ6R2A&dchild=1&keywords=computer+case+fan+120mm&qid=1590322891&sprefix=computer+case+fan%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-6

Best $20 (this is what I run)

41XAc8YG+8L._AC_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-PWM-4-Pin-Premium/dp/B00650P2ZC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1DNPL04PZ6R2A&dchild=1&keywords=computer+case+fan+120mm&qid=1590322725&sprefix=computer+case+fan%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-7

Edited by Snargfargle

[WPORT]
Members
6,669 posts
11,641 battles
9 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Mystery solved

Gah!!!!

Glad to hear the Mystery is solved.  :-)

2016-10-26_07-03-24.jpg

• Funny 1

Members
15 posts
272 battles

I read "Mystery solved" above in Robert Stack's voice, so that happened. 

Anyway, glad to see you were able to nail down what the problem was, the first step is usually the most important, after all. If mine breaks on me, I'll let you fix it also! :fish_boom:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
13 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

I don't especially like my GPU, I simply survive it

My CPU and GPU got along fine as they both were from the same generation and were aging gracefully together. However, I finally sent the video card to the old card's home and now my CPU feels a bit long in the tooth because the young whippersnapper GPU I replaced his buddy with is now saying that the old CPU can't keep up and is bottle-necking him.

[WPORT]
Members
6,669 posts
11,641 battles
11 hours ago, Princess_Schala said:

I read "Mystery solved" above in Robert Stack's voice, so that happened. 

Anyway, glad to see you were able to nail down what the problem was, the first step is usually the most important, after all. If mine breaks on me, I'll let you fix it also! :fish_boom:

:cap_like:

7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

My CPU and GPU got along fine as they both were from the same generation and were aging gracefully together. However, I finally sent the video card to the old card's home and now my CPU feels a bit long in the tooth because the young whippersnapper GPU I replaced his buddy with is now saying that the old CPU can't keep up and is bottle-necking him.

On my laptop, the GPU is doing more of the work. 
During a WOWs game, the CPU is operating at about 30% to 35% capacity and the GPU is utilizing 35% to 45% of capacity (according to the "NitroSense" software that came with the laptop).
[Acer Nitro-5, Intel i5-9th.gen., GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB motherboard RAM]

[SOUP]
Modder
8,813 posts
19 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

That may actually be what I'm facing, now that I think about it....

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
17 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

That may actually be what I'm facing, now that I think about it....

I wouldn't mind upgrading my CPU but that would require a new motherboard, and new RAM too. Even though my new RX 570 is bottlenecked a bit my my Phenom II CPU, it's still a better card than the 6850 I had installed before. I only have a 24-inch monitor and output its native resolution so my system it's OK for this game at least.

I can't complain much about my computer in general though. I built this system on Christmas Eve, 2010. One of the things I credit to its longevity is that I used the best PSU available at the time, a Seasonic-made Corsair AX850 that has so much redundant power capacity in my system that its fan rarely turns on. I've also kept my CPU cool with a Noctua heatsink and fan combo and the GPU as cool as possible with internal 120 mm case fans directed toward it.

Sign in to follow this