You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Calling Shima Pros

20 comments in this topic

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,382 posts

SO I like my Shima..  Haven't had her but for a few days.  Outfitting her for the 12KM Radar Meta.

So I have the 20km torps on with the TTM1 +5knts for 65knts .  I can't hit an ISLAND with those even with them...even at 65 . I can get some great hits but I have to be Danger close. I don't really like just playing them for  area denial.  They are great for it but although I can keep ships at bay it ends up I am alone and end up getting killed ... I'm used to playing solo so depending on people just doesn't work now adays. 

Switched back to my Fletch and Gearing and topped the board.

Then I had an idea.

I COULD mount the type 93 mod 3s and live on the 12km Edge and gain 2800 Damage and gain 5knts ( 70 )  speed OR

I COULD keep the 20s on and take torpedo acceleration for 5knts and keep range at 16 and speed at 70 knts like I have with the Gearing (69) .

16km is much more comfortable with that 12 km radar around.  Has anyone done this?

Edited by Col_Nasty

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,572 battles

Run the 12km torps. You will have to play smarter to use them which means you play better destroyer.

If you don't have the minimap show ship last spotted, turn it on, and pay attention to how many/where radar ships are.

Learning how to work around radar will make you an immensely better destroyer player.

• Cool 4

[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
6,073 battles

I'm no pro but...The 20s are the last ones to run. Way too easy for a target to move and , sometimes, for a friendly to get in the way. 12s are the sweet spot. Be aware of radar and be patient...that's the Shima imo. 

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
11,394 posts
19,183 battles

For me its simple.

20KM torp is fishing

20KM with TTM1 and TA, is area denial

16KM torp is a BB killer...

16km torps with TA, BB and Cruiser sinker...

8KM torps.... Suicidal, not for beginners or the faint of heart...

So the choice is yours where you stand...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

The 20km torps have the worst time to reaction (ttr) in the game and are very easy to avoid after spotting them.

Gearing and Fletcher torps have significantly better ttr and cannot be dodged at the last moment as easily.

The 12km torps don't have as good of a ttr as Gearing or Fletcher torps, but are far better than the 20km option.

• Cool 1

[--O--]
Members
937 posts
10 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Run the 12km torps. You will have to play smarter to use them which means you play better destroyer.

If you don't have the minimap show ship last spotted, turn it on, and pay attention to how many/where radar ships are.

Learning how to work around radar will make you an immensely better destroyer player.

What he said, I will add do not go near caps till ALL radar ships are accounted for and then try to force them out of their camping spot. Typically I will send one set at the ship then 1 at the Cap for Area Denial, Watch the radar and if he doesnt move throw another, sooner or later he will panic and leave then you can cap.

You need one eye on mini map and all the info it can provide you at all times, I think it 90% of players have no clue how valuable it is.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,382 posts

Thank you all.  WIll go with the 12kms for now.  I'm pretty good with them. will just have to watch those Radars closer..

o7

Col Out

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,382 posts

THIS is why I love this place.  

Although this forum can be a bit no fun at times with all the bickering and all, the reason I chose this game was for the many people who give advice to help you get better.  @enderland07 

@QQ_Whine_Moar  @Navalpride33   @MrDeaf @Mustangrde1 

I'm a pretty good DD player.. but I was getting ZERO done until I made the original post.  I made the change to the 12 kms and in my FIRST time out this happened!

Listen 1.png

listen 2.png

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
11,394 posts
19,183 battles
2 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I made the change to the 16 kms and in my FIRST time out this happened! 

With or without TTM1/TA ?

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,382 posts
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

With or without TTM1/TA ?

I had to edit that to 12kms ( stock )   TT1 and TT2   NO TA

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
10,851 battles

I recently started playing Shima to grind for the legendary mod. I am using 12km torp. With the new torp speed mod, your torp reaches 70knot and hits like a truck.

I find the key is to really take your time to predict enemy movement. Don't just try to spam torp around that white line. RPF is also very valuable skill. With your 15 torp spread, you can catch a lot of DDs and cruisers off guard. Even if you only land 1 torp on DD or cruisers, they will feel the pain.

Just had a game yesterday, I was facing 5 enemy radar ships + CV but was still able to do pretty well.

shot-20.05.22_00.18.44-0719.jpg

shot-20.05.22_00.19.56-0983.jpg

[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
6,073 battles

Good for you @Col_Nasty ! The Shima is really fun. Keep it up and you will love her! Her damage potential is staggering. 

I'm still trying to get consistently good, but sometimes she gives pappa a great game. This is my best so far, damage wise. 

shot-20.04.02_15.45.23-0288.jpg

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,243 posts
21,643 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

SO I like my Shima..  Haven't had her but for a few days.  Outfitting her for the 12KM Radar Meta.

So I have the 20km torps on with the TTM1 +5knts for 65knts .  I can't hit an ISLAND with those even with them...even at 65 . I can get some great hits but I have to be Danger close. I don't really like just playing them for  area denial.  They are great for it but although I can keep ships at bay it ends up I am alone and end up getting killed ... I'm used to playing solo so depending on people just doesn't work now adays. 

Then I had an idea.

I COULD mount the type 93 mod 3s and live on the 12km Edge and gain 2800 Damage and gain 5knts ( 70 )  speed OR

I COULD keep the 20s on and take torpedo acceleration for 5knts and keep range at 16 and speed at 70 knts like I have with the Gearing (69) .

16km is much more comfortable with that 12 km radar around.  Has anyone done this?

They still get spotted from 2.4 km....

I use 12 km with modules to increase speed and reload.

Captain skill TAE helps...

Dont use the captain skill to increase speed, the loss of range is a hard pill to swallow.

I believe the 12 km get detected at 1.7 km..

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,272 posts
9,857 battles
13 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Then I had an idea.

Its pointless to run a shima. Been so for a long time. 

You're better off running a torp spec Gearing because it gets 16km torps by default which are much stealthier and have narrow separation...they may not hit as hard per torp but you will hit with a lot more of them compared to shima's seen-from-orbit torps. 

Since the Halland/Smaland came into the game the Gearing lost almost all its shine and shima is made completely obsolete. 15km torps with super speed and even lower stealth than shima torps. Sure, it has no smoke and its not as speedy but with low reload times, monster guns and AA plus who cares? Who cares your torps do lower damage too? They actually HIT in great numbers. FLOODS allow you to DOT enemies down just by firing one launcher at a time spaced 15 seconds apart. 

Only thing you can do in shima now that no other nation DD can do is chuck torps out to 20km. They be seen from orbit but that's about it. Using shorter range torps just has you being mediocre. 

You are FAR better off bringing an Asashio into tier 10 than a Shimakaze. That says it all. 

• Funny 1

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,200 battles
1 minute ago, Skyfaller said:

You're better off running a torp spec Gearing because it gets 16km torps by default which are much stealthier and have narrow separation...they may not hit as hard per torp but you will hit with a lot more of them compared to shima's seen-from-orbit torps. 

You are FAR better off bringing an Asashio into tier 10 than a Shimakaze. That says it all. 

Yes, yes. And yes.

Skyfaller wins the internet today.

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,382 posts
7 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Since the Halland/Smaland came into the game the Gearing lost almost all its shine and shima is made completely obsolete. 15km torps with super speed and even lower stealth than shima torps. Sure, it has no smoke and its not as speedy but with low reload times, monster guns and AA plus who cares? Who cares your torps do lower damage too? They actually HIT in great numbers. FLOODS allow you to DOT enemies down just by firing one launcher at a time spaced 15 seconds apart. 

Only thing you can do in shima now that no other nation DD can do is chuck torps out to 20km. They be seen from orbit but that's about it. Using shorter range torps just has you being mediocre. 

7 minutes ago, SidTheBlade said:

Yes, yes. And yes.

Skyfaller wins the internet today.

Wins the internet?  IS that your Alt account?

Ummm Really?  

Then why am I topping the board in my new shima just like I do my Gearing?

Maybe it is just pointless for the two of you ?  I'm pretty sure you didn't read everyone's responses or my follow up post.

Thank you but I will just keep enjoying my shima and all she's doing great for me.  

Col Out

• Cool 2

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,272 posts
9,857 battles
15 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Wins the internet?  IS that your Alt account?

Ummm Really?  

Then why am I topping the board in my new shima just like I do my Gearing?

Maybe it is just pointless for the two of you ?  I'm pretty sure you didn't read everyone's responses or my follow up post.

Thank you but I will just keep enjoying my shima and all she's doing great for me.  

Col Out

If it does great for you imagine how amazing a Gearing or Halland/Smaland would be for you. Its not a matter of player skill, its the ship itself that's borked. 

I run 150k+ damage games on Shima using 20km torps. I run far more high damage in Asashio using it in tier 10. Why? Its torps are not seen from orbit and even though they limited to BBs only, the ship still manages to do that. Hit rate is king. Once I get the swedish DD I'd likely do significantly better...all because the TORPS are not borked by IJN hate code. 

[-RNG-]
Members
557 posts
14,159 battles

12s with TA and TTM1 give 9.6 range and a speed only 5 knots or so slower than F3s but with 1.6 more range.  I LOVE running straight F3s when ranked is T10 but have been running this variant ever since the changes.  It is quite effective.

Comp. #WV44

[SHAFT]
Members
815 posts
17,980 battles
14 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Thank you all.  WIll go with the 12kms for now.  I'm pretty good with them. will just have to watch those Radars closer..

o7

Col Out

Not a Shimdog pro in any regards, but I can give a little hint to getting some more effective action with the 12k especially against radar boats.

@enderland07 hit the nail on the head actually. Map awareness and the experience to recognise the preferred Island waifus of the cruisers is going to be your strongest advantage.

Shima is not an early cap rusher, but don't make the mistake I see so many others do and head to the map border either. Identify the possible hiding spots for the radar ships and work your way to a position that will allow you to get a spread out behind those islands. Be map aware and always try to keep at least 10k away from the said island, always have an egress route thought out if you get unfortunately spotted by planes/other dds. Save your speed boost for those situations, especially if you get over aggressive and wander into radar range. I have found RPF to be extremely useful on Shima even with its great concealment as I make minor adjustments on my course to remain unspotted.

While you want to get torps out, you are really wanting to spot the radar ships so your bbs hopefully can get some hits in and force them to move back/out of cover, time it right and they either hunker down and get swamped by your torps, or move out and sail straight into them. With experience you tend to launch at least set of tubes where you expect them to be even if you haven't detected them as yet. Tapping x to deselect a parked cruiser is a good way to hide/confuse when you have sent your fish is another handy trick I use.

Shima is feast or famine with the torps, but played to its strengths its still one hell of a fun ship, can't wait for the buff on the LU.