You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
101st_battalion

submarines?

29 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
364 posts
248 battles

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

1,000 No's to this question, for the 1000th time. 

(Yes, that is 1,000 No's I counted)

Beta Testers
109 posts
407 battles

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono

1,000 No's to this question, for the 1000th time. 

(Yes, that is 1,000 No's I counted)

I am going to believe you on that one. And Submarines have been discussed before and the general consensus is that they will not be added in.

• Cool 1

[JKSDF]
Members
928 posts
3,561 battles

You are clearly new here

SUBMARINES WILL NEVER BE PUT IN THE GAME EVER ~ The Entire WoWS Development Team.

Members
1 post

I am sure many have thought of this but why not WORLD of SUBMARINES? If folks want to play subs so badly just make a new type of game that allows us sub lovers to hunt kill and destroy each other lol. 

Edited by stingray

Beta Testers
71 posts
286 battles

Remember Navyfield? Remember how finally caving to players' demands to add subs pretty much killed it? Well, if you don't, Wargamming does. Many of their older Devs played it. So no submarines.

• Cool 1

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

Reasons why destroyers won't be in:

1. If they surface and get hit once, they can't submerge. 

2. Even the fastest submarines of WWII can't go over 20 knots, and anything below that is awfully slow. It would take forever to reach the battle. 

3. Destroyers would probably, well, destroy them with depth charges (which would be implemented if subs were in).

4. If a team had no destroyers, either they'd get wrecked by subs or the subs would be too slow to do anything. 

Beta Testers
8 posts
980 battles

actually the gato class could reach over 20kts on the surface submerged speeds were much slower due to battery life. while submarines would be fun I could see them messing up the game dynamic from what i've seen of it so far. 

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

Can't see this as being a good idea. A sub player would only be able to ambush people. He would pop up go hi I'm right beside you fire torps and then try to dive while being shot at. Anti sub weapons would also have to be added to every ship to counter a sub player.

Members
2 posts

If they ever do have them in game they would be better served as non aggressive recon. Because as others have mentioned it would be game breaking.

Beta Testers
50 posts
2,258 battles

still dont see why they wont do subs when they could easily be countered.  If they are going to allow Autoloaders in WoT which never saw 1 second of on the field battle time why not subs.  Give the ACs anti sub planes and the destroyers could do depth charge runs.  not like the sub could launch a destroyer type of torpedo spread.  at most they could launch is 2 torps at a time and thats hardly a game ender.  especially if you made the reload times realistic realitive to the battleship and destroyer reload times. it could easily be done.  I wouldnt ever play them but I am sure there are those who would.  

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

If they are going to allow Autoloaders in WoT which never saw 1 second of on the field battle time why not subs.

The diference being auto-loaders were intended to combat other thanks. Submarines were intended to combat merchant shipping, with the (un)lucky carrier or battleship stumbling upon a submarine in ambush....or a cheeky submarine skipper raiding Scappa Flow.

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,514 battles

Remember Navyfield? Remember how finally caving to players' demands to add subs pretty much killed it? Well, if you don't, Wargamming does. Many of their older Devs played it. So no submarines.

I watched replays of their subs and they made them way to OP. if they put subs in World of Warships I would hope that they would just leave them as is. they wouldnt be op like that and they would not take over the game.
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
71 posts
286 battles

still dont see why they wont do subs when they could easily be countered.  If they are going to allow Autoloaders in WoT which never saw 1 second of on the field battle time why not subs.  Give the ACs anti sub planes and the destroyers could do depth charge runs.  not like the sub could launch a destroyer type of torpedo spread.  at most they could launch is 2 torps at a time and thats hardly a game ender.  especially if you made the reload times realistic realitive to the battleship and destroyer reload times. it could easily be done.  I wouldnt ever play them but I am sure there are those who would.  

A: Submarines being difficult to counter is kind of the point of them as a weapons platform.

B: Only the earliest WW2 submarines were restricted to 1-2 torpedoes. The Type II U-Boat, which were primarily used to gain experience in building and operating U-Boats and not combat still had 3 forward tubes. The Type VII, the mainstay of the U-Boat fleet had 4 fore and 1 aft tubes, as did the long range Type IX. The end of war Type XXI had 6 forward tubes. In the US the trio of Gato, Balao, and Tench classes were the primary fleet boats, and all had 6 fore tubes and 4 aft. The Royal Navy's S and T class submarines, both in service prior to the war, had 6 bow tubes. IJN submarines similarly often had 6 forward tubes. Their I-19 also launched probably the single most devastating torpedo spread ever. Firing all 6 torpedoes it sank the USS Wasp, a destroyer, and badly damaged the USS North Carolina.

In short, submarines would be capable of launching a standard destroyer torpedo spread, which has the damage potential to take out any ship it would be matched against, and be able to sneak into close enough range that it would have a good chance of all hitting. So no, no submarines. 

Beta Testers
804 posts
696 battles

If someone could quote this as the mentioned person can not see this post;

Donald, since you are the ever present genius on sub games, tell us how you think subs would NOT be OP. How could they be implemented to not be OP? How? How is there anyway that it's possible? Please enlighten us.

Beta Testers
109 posts
407 battles

Submarines would just be near useless in the game, not only are the fastest submarines in WW2 extremely slow and would take a large period of time to get into the fight. The torpedoes normally used were Mark14s in WW2 except in the last few years and there were many problems with them. From my knowledge submarines were used to damage slow supply ships rather than being useful in warfare.

[XCOM]
Beta Testers
162 posts
339 battles

I'm looking for the sub in my port, but can't seem to find it.  Do you know where it went?