You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Swat842

Commander Skill Recommended Builds

7 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
376 battles

Hi it's been over years since I played WoW when it was in Beta well here we go...

The Following I would like help with each ship with Commander + Upgrades the * means Premium Ship's

Tier I: Erie

Tier: II: Chester

Tier II*: Albany

Tier II: St. Louise

Tire I: S.Carolina

Tier IV: Wyoming

Tier V: New York

Tier VI: New Mexico

I'm willing not to do 

Tier I: Erie, Tier: II: Chester & Tier II: St. Louise]

An Just doing 

Tier II*: Albany

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

For US BBs you want probably want your standard tank build that can work on all BBs. That would be PT or PM, EM and AR, BoS and SI, and FP and CE. For sure get SI asap, and probably BoS or AR last. For your first tier 4 skill, FP vs CE is  personal choice largley dependent on playstyle. I take FP and would recommend it first over CE especially for those big US boats tier 7 and below. 

For upgrades you are going to want Main armaments in slot 1, and damage control in slot 2. Slot 3 on USN BBs is wierd. I would suggest turret traverse mod since its reload penalty was removed. Range and AA also work. US BBs dont get a dispersion mod in slot 3 (instead they get one in slot 6, which you should take when you get there). Slot 4 should be DCP but the other options are viable, and slot 5 should be concealment (when you unlock it by moving to tier 8 (?)). 

That should cover BBs... for the tier 1-3 if you are just working towards the BBs I wouldnt worry about speccing a specific cap, just start on that BB build. If you want a designated St Louis captain, sorry, I can not be of much use there.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

Here is a good ten-point captain basic skillset for the tier III St. Louis.

image.thumb.png.ae526c87ffa23223f6c10d5c501ab8f5.png

Edited by Snargfargle

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,619 posts
10,480 battles

On US BBs, I like PT, EM, SI, FP for my first 10 points.  Then I generally put on AR, CE, and BOS.

My thinking is PT, just so you know how much trouble you are in.  Information is everything.  EM is important, because the guns turn slow.  SI gives you the extra heal which is life.  FP prevents that all important 2nd fire on the center section of the ship, and it reduces the overall chance of fire by 10%.  AR gives you faster guns as you progress further into the game and your health gets depleted.  CE gives you a bit of extra concealment, but I always consider that you will most likely be seen in most games anyway because of CVs and DDs.  BOS reduces your fire and flooding time which is life, and it brings your guns back online faster if they get damaged.

For upgrades:

• in slot 1 mount Spotting Aircraft Mod 1 for ships that have it (T5 and up).  For others, mount Main Armaments Mod 1.
  • in slot 2 mount Damage control system mod 1
  • in slot 3 mount it is a toss up, but Main Battery Mod 2 is my prefered one to get those glacier guns turning faster.  The Artillery Plotting Room 1 is not a bad pick either, and is the prefered choice in the higher tiered US BBs due to their faster turret traverse.
  • in slot 4 mount Damage control mod 2 for those ships that have a 4th slot (New Mex).

T3 St. Louis is a fun ship.  Don't skip it.  I actually kept a dedicated captain on mine and play it every once in a while, just because I have fun with it.  

Members
4 posts
376 battles
25 minutes ago, Murcc said:

On US BBs, I like PT, EM, SI, FP for my first 10 points.  Then I generally put on AR, CE, and BOS.

My thinking is PT, just so you know how much trouble you are in.  Information is everything.  EM is important, because the guns turn slow.  SI gives you the extra heal which is life.  FP prevents that all important 2nd fire on the center section of the ship, and it reduces the overall chance of fire by 10%.  AR gives you faster guns as you progress further into the game and your health gets depleted.  CE gives you a bit of extra concealment, but I always consider that you will most likely be seen in most games anyway because of CVs and DDs.  BOS reduces your fire and flooding time which is life, and it brings your guns back online faster if they get damaged.

For upgrades:

• in slot 1 mount Spotting Aircraft Mod 1 for ships that have it (T5 and up).  For others, mount Main Armaments Mod 1.
  • in slot 2 mount Damage control system mod 1
  • in slot 3 mount it is a toss up, but Main Battery Mod 2 is my prefered one to get those glacier guns turning faster.  The Artillery Plotting Room 1 is not a bad pick either, and is the prefered choice in the higher tiered US BBs due to their faster turret traverse.
  • in slot 4 mount Damage control mod 2 for those ships that have a 4th slot (New Mex).

T3 St. Louis is a fun ship.  Don't skip it.  I actually kept a dedicated captain on mine and play it every once in a while, just because I have fun with it.  

New Mexico

Slot 1 only has Main Armaments Mod 1, Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1 & Magazine Mod 1

Edited by Swat842

[WOLFG]
Members
10,654 posts
9,858 battles
4 minutes ago, Swat842 said:

New Mexico

Slot 1 only has Main Armaments Mod 1, Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1 & Magazine Mod 1

Spotting aircraft Mod 1 I think is a special upgrade you can buy in the armory for coal.  It goes in to the first slot (instead of one of the three you listed).

It might be a little early to think about  special upgrades.

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,619 posts
10,480 battles
45 minutes ago, Swat842 said:

New Mexico

In my port the NY shows up as having access to it, although the WOWs wiki doesn't mention the NY having a spotting plane.  You have to purchase a special upgrade to have this one, so it might not be available to everyone early in the game, especially if you don't have any coal reserves.

38 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Spotting aircraft Mod 1 I think is a special upgrade you can buy in the armory for coal.  It goes in to the first slot (instead of one of the three you listed).

It might be a little early to think about  special upgrades.

I agree.  It is early for the spotting mod, especially given the wonky dispersion on normal shots.  However, the spotting plane does allow you to get a nice top down shot onto unsuspecting ships at a very long range, and the mod allows that plane to stay active for an extra 30 seconds, which will allow an extra volley.  Those long range shots are much easier using the spotter plane than relying on the normal reticle at extreme ranges.