Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Brief thoughts on Ranked gameplay. Bracket Rank 12+

4 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
5,349 posts
4,575 battles

Pre-season analysis:

Fact: No CV

Fact: limited Radar availability

Given the friendly environment, I expected a heavy DD presence this season. Given the game format, quick contest and domination of cap points is critical to achieve victory. In consequence, playing a DD able to contest and secure cap points should be critical to win, it is a position of too much responsibility to just depend on a random team mate. 

As always, for lack of time and resources I arrive ill prepared to the event. Only my old reliable Mahan is battle ready for rank matches.

Season stage one analysis:

Following my plan, I set into battle in old trusty Mahan. The results were dissapointing.

Mahan is a team player, my default and tested deployment tactic is smoking off the cap I'm going to contest for my team mates to get cover and give fire support. The first problem I faced is you depend on your team to fulfill their role and cover you while you push the cap (after all you won't have smoke ready if you need to disengage), it is a very easy task (sit on smoke, shoot at the reds) yet this time around many team mates fail to provide useful support, even if I state clearly what I intend to do, about 60% of the times the team doesn't deliver. More over, contesting caps is dirty hard work, you will take damage even if successfully winning the cap. Mahan has a marked disadvantage in spotting range and speed which commonly translates in taking damage while closing the gap with the enemy, making charging down an enemy DD with better camo, a costly business. In the event of winning the first engagement and securing the cap, I found myself hurt and in need to be wary, one lucky shot from BB HE could be all it takes to really put you against the ropes and be limited to stealth games. Another problem I find in Mahan is, I can't reliably by myself stop a cruiser pushing in the cap, its torps are nice to surprise BBs or area denial lucky shots, but too slow for reliably connect with maneuvering cruisers. In other words, I´m again dependant on my team to damage and repel cruisers charging on. As expected, depending on seasonal random team mates for a steady victory rating is too much to ask. Even worse, since I won't be focusing on dealing damage but in supporting my team, in a losing situation I might not have enough XP to secure first place, then lose a star.  Adjustments must be made to the tactical plan.

Enter cruisers. Fiji looked like a legit option so was my first choice, after a less than stellar first performance and being unceremoniously blapped (I blame myself, not the ship), I set for something more tanky in the form of Yorck. The moment the match started I knew it was the right choice for the task. For start, it is a very hardy ship, can take an awful lot of punishment (at least compared to Fiji) and survive. It makes close support of caps a safe enough endavour, coupled with german hydro, it means no enemy DD is safe if you are backing up your DDs. So I found myself  more readily securing caps in a CA than in a DD, I confess I'm a bit startled by the results.

Item plus, Yorck has the right tools to engage and reliably deliver damage to anything you could face in Ranked. Your AP terrorizes any other cruiser (I love the fact many players are oblivious at how devastating Yorck's guns can be), I'm reliably citadeling Fiji and Belfast at any angle. Sinop is no problem, at 12+ km you are fairly safe (if enemy player has good aim, just add more range) and your HE delivers a nasty punch, with very nice accuracy. At long ranges your ballistic are excellent and far better than the usual 152mm of most cruiser you'll be facing, you can engage from open water and kite away reliably; at short range your tankines, nasty torps and hydro are assets in case you need to brawl or yolo the enemy. A last bonus, with Yorck I'm landing reliably first place in loses (as important in Ranked as winning), playing smartly is not difficult to be last man standing while decisively contributing to your team, (only time I missed first place was my fault for dumb sailing into an ambush, last match late night, I was tired, again me, not the ship). York is a utility tool, and the results are there I made Rank 12 from 17 in just one short play session. 

I expect to need to readjust tactics for more advanced levels, but at the moment, Yorck is doing exactly what needs to be done.

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,949 posts
26,483 battles

Good going.

All I’d read until your post was about how useless Yorck was. Seems you’ve found your ‘groove’ ship.

[SALVO]
Members
5,349 posts
4,575 battles
40 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Good going.

All I’d read until your post was about how useless Yorck was. Seems you’ve found your ‘groove’ ship.

So far so good. It is a well rounded ship with no blantant shortcomings. It is easy to adapt to different situations which I find of critical importance in ranked. 

Also its weapon systems are effective all around, not only situational. Maybe low dps but it is workable.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,270 posts
10,102 battles

York is a very underestimated mid-tier cruiser. She survives better than Myoko in close quarters and has comparable armor to the NO.

Still on her regrind (from reseting KMS cruiser line) and she's a dangerous adversary in cruiser main's hands. Only BBs that can take her on and survive is Gneisenau or Scharnhorst since they can avoid being run down.

Sign in to follow this