Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lylanthwol

The Attitude That Pervades

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles

Just finished a lovely match on Trident in Epicenter mode, which is not the point but to set the tone.  I'm in a Colorado, its a T-VII match.  As top tier BB I settle myself in the middle of the pie wedge between the rocks in the middle, and the rocks to the East on the edge.  From here I can move up and back within the rings for caps and plot good firing solutions on multiple angles and tank.  We capture all the rings and ships start dying.  CAs and DDs aren't firing at CAs and DDs as while we have a controlling position with me as an anchor, there are still the little radar blips running around in among us, easily triangulate by our fire.  Eventually I move West, enemy Shchors and "friendly" Budyonny.

The "friendly" Budyonny isn't firing at the Shchors but across to the other side of the map.  I angle to not eat Torp Breakfast & avoid them.  The Budy almost crashes into me and goes on to eat them himself.   This is what came over chat.

Budyonny:  COLORADO YOU GOT ME KILLED SAILING THAT WAY!!!!  I'M NOT TRYING TO WIN, I'M JUST FARMING DAMAGE!!!  @#$    @#$@  @#$@#$

Me:  Obviously

Budyonny:  Whine Whine Whine.  Curse Curse Curse.  

Me:  Perhaps you should shoot at what's going to kill you in order to stay alive longer

 

I'm tempted to pontificate over the deterioration of the soft sections of society, but rather I'm going to talk about how this relates to the game and how the game relates to it.  This "I don't care about winning" attitude is something for which I got nothing for ya.  I don't associate myself with anyone like that, after all, they leave only hollow victories over them behind.

 

Years ago, in another game I was quite competitive.  Think the days of Vent.  I'll not state the game, but there were multiple PvP modes in addition to the massive PvE.  In only a couple of said PvP modes could you just enter at random without forming a team.  Even outside of clan battles you still had to (outside of the aforementioned modes) form a team prior to entering battle.  If you were going to do battle there you simply had to have voice coms or you were going to get utterly mauled like a useless noob.  In addition to having the effect of increasing your chances of winning, it fostered teamwork as well as having one side benefit that WoWs lacks.  

If you were going to be a foul little snit, someone was going to teach you how to actually use the words you were pretending and teach you some new ones as well.  There was nowhere to hide.  You could tuck tail and hop off the Vent server, but then you were done with that one.  Also done were the benefits that went along with it.  Naturally things happened, after all our eyes are in the front, but there wasn't the rampant Keyboard B@11$ everywhere.  Fights were for the most part either superficial or they were deeply personal things that had build up over months or even years.  

While we have the reporting system here, the system isn't all that effective.  A couple of days vacation from excoriating your allies and opponents is pretty toothless and is weak as a self-policing tool.  So we have snots running rampant with what is tantamount to lawlessness.

 

I'm not positing solutions in this unfortunately at this point, my thoughts have only percolated to this stage.  I would love to hear the thoughts of others however.  Short of a rework of some game mechanics (let's rush to Tier-X to get into a Clan Battle so I can tell them how its done)... well... I'm at a loss.  I really do love this game with the challenges it presents and the in-depth learning it requires to get better.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Too many players have no concept of situational awareness or what their ships are supposed to counter. Game is no longer about strategy and tactics, it's about surviving long enough around a pool of really bad players so you can try to carry it.

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,326
[KWF]
Members
4,893 posts
6,590 battles

The greatest opponent you can face in this game is your team, not the reds.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[VAST_]
Members
133 posts
4,266 battles

Hence why I have chat disabled. So much more enjoyable without it. Every time I turn it back on and think, Maybe it will be better this time... it just gets more maddening. If the option to turn it off was not available I would not play this game. 
 

In-game chat delenda est. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,656
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Too many players have no concept of situational awareness or what their ships are supposed to counter. Game is no longer about strategy and tactics, it's about surviving long enough around a pool of really bad players so you can try to carry it.

There is so much truth to this I can't come up with a single counter-point.  Well said.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,159
[SALVO]
Members
5,188 posts
4,493 battles
1 hour ago, Lylanthwol said:

I'm tempted to pontificate over the deterioration of the soft sections of society, but rather I'm going to talk about how this relates to the game and how the game relates to it.  This "I don't care about winning" attitude is something for which I got nothing for ya.  I don't associate myself with anyone like that, after all, they leave only hollow victories over them behind.

 

Topic aside, your post is nicely written. It is refreshing to read. +1 for style.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
291
[-AF-]
Beta Testers
701 posts
9,229 battles

As soon as I see "I am not trying to win, I am farming damage", I would block for the battle.  I don't have the time or the patience for that nonsense.  I am not even a highly competitive player, but I sure don't want to see a player not care about the win.   That's the major reason why I don't play WoT's Frontlines.

As far as who gets to eat the torpedo sandwich, that player didn't have the awareness to avoid things as you did and paid the price.   Most likely we've all been there on both sides of that situation and heck, stuff happens.   No reason for that player to be upset about it.  Queue and enjoy another battle.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
314
[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
1,080 posts

Crazy Back seat captains.

You should have said this.  When The evolutionary development of mental telepathy comes into play I'll keep your thoughts in mind m8 . But if you needed support, next time ask for it ya filthy animal. Lol.:Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,119
[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles
1 hour ago, Lylanthwol said:

Just finished a lovely match on Trident in Epicenter mode, which is not the point but to set the tone.  I'm in a Colorado, its a T-VII match.  As top tier BB I settle myself in the middle of the pie wedge between the rocks in the middle, and the rocks to the East on the edge.  From here I can move up and back within the rings for caps and plot good firing solutions on multiple angles and tank.  We capture all the rings and ships start dying.  CAs and DDs aren't firing at CAs and DDs as while we have a controlling position with me as an anchor, there are still the little radar blips running around in among us, easily triangulate by our fire.  Eventually I move West, enemy Shchors and "friendly" Budyonny.

The "friendly" Budyonny isn't firing at the Shchors but across to the other side of the map.  I angle to not eat Torp Breakfast & avoid them.  The Budy almost crashes into me and goes on to eat them himself.   This is what came over chat.

Budyonny:  COLORADO YOU GOT ME KILLED SAILING THAT WAY!!!!  I'M NOT TRYING TO WIN, I'M JUST FARMING DAMAGE!!!  @#$    @#$@  @#$@#$

Me:  Obviously

Budyonny:  Whine Whine Whine.  Curse Curse Curse.  

Me:  Perhaps you should shoot at what's going to kill you in order to stay alive longer

 

I'm tempted to pontificate over the deterioration of the soft sections of society, but rather I'm going to talk about how this relates to the game and how the game relates to it.  This "I don't care about winning" attitude is something for which I got nothing for ya.  I don't associate myself with anyone like that, after all, they leave only hollow victories over them behind.

 

Years ago, in another game I was quite competitive.  Think the days of Vent.  I'll not state the game, but there were multiple PvP modes in addition to the massive PvE.  In only a couple of said PvP modes could you just enter at random without forming a team.  Even outside of clan battles you still had to (outside of the aforementioned modes) form a team prior to entering battle.  If you were going to do battle there you simply had to have voice coms or you were going to get utterly mauled like a useless noob.  In addition to having the effect of increasing your chances of winning, it fostered teamwork as well as having one side benefit that WoWs lacks.  

If you were going to be a foul little snit, someone was going to teach you how to actually use the words you were pretending and teach you some new ones as well.  There was nowhere to hide.  You could tuck tail and hop off the Vent server, but then you were done with that one.  Also done were the benefits that went along with it.  Naturally things happened, after all our eyes are in the front, but there wasn't the rampant Keyboard B@11$ everywhere.  Fights were for the most part either superficial or they were deeply personal things that had build up over months or even years.  

While we have the reporting system here, the system isn't all that effective.  A couple of days vacation from excoriating your allies and opponents is pretty toothless and is weak as a self-policing tool.  So we have snots running rampant with what is tantamount to lawlessness.

 

I'm not positing solutions in this unfortunately at this point, my thoughts have only percolated to this stage.  I would love to hear the thoughts of others however.  Short of a rework of some game mechanics (let's rush to Tier-X to get into a Clan Battle so I can tell them how its done)... well... I'm at a loss.  I really do love this game with the challenges it presents and the in-depth learning it requires to get better.

 

Your problem is obvious, you did not accept your responsibility to keep the Budyonny alive. Your selfish ways, playing for the team, caused this Budyonny to be sunk early.

(if you didn't notice I was using a end loader with a 3yd bucket to apply a touch of sarcasm)

There are all kinds and we must suffer being teamed with them.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
103 posts
2,727 battles

 

29 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Topic aside, your post is nicely written. It is refreshing to read. +1 for style.

Thank you sir

26 minutes ago, Altwar said:

As soon as I see "I am not trying to win, I am farming damage", I would block for the battle.  I don't have the time or the patience for that nonsense

Sadly it was in the end-game where the selfishness, while as of yet having been expressed,  had already had its effect.

24 minutes ago, Versili said:

When The evolutionary development of mental telepathy comes into play I'll keep your thoughts in mind m8 . But if you needed support, next time ask for it ya filthy animal. Lol

Ahhh yes.  Angels Eat Filthy Torpedoes!  

 

42 minutes ago, sirwill1972 said:

In-game chat delenda est. 

You honor me sir.

 

Omissa maximis vitiis laborare  ( I cheated though)

 

 

 

7 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I was using a end loader with a 3yd bucket to apply a touch of sarcasm

Having a copy of the Official Dictionary of Sarcasm in the head myself, I do so appreciate!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
130
[REKTD]
Members
309 posts
10,135 battles

This reminds me of when I was in Mogami, battered down to less than 1k hp, with 2 red BBs approaching around an island (4km and closing). I know I won’t make it, but Alas: Red has no fear of the Long Lance Torpedoes I am prepared to unleash. As luck would have it, I am undetected, and in perfect firing position for both launchers on the Starboard side...

Press Fire....Mogami explodes, no launches. Friendly torpedo hit from behind. Followed by e more thuds against the sinking hull.

Shortly thereafter, the softie in the friendly DD that torpedoed my stationary Mogami is admonishing me for sitting there. Apparently his  spread of 4 torpedoes going thru me was far more important than patience, communication, and teaming up to sink Red ships. He was literally offended I was even there, let alone he cost us: 2 ships (he was obliterated after a few moments of hiding in smoke), got 0 hits outside of me, and ultimately the match, as those very 2 BBs went on to be pivotal in their win.

Edited by SuperComm4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×