Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

A Lesson in Doing the Wrong Thing

33 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,785 posts

The DD "mains" players must be all playing Ranked. No DDs so the CV has to be a "DD" and spot.

image.png.ed63791687024068ac51341251de6bff.png

Does he? Nope, he spent the entire game farming damage on single, isolated, ships while the team sat there without anything to shoot at because nothing was spotted.

image.png.8beaee0b02e8f2a02fcde346a251fc67.png

Must not have been listening as he never did. At the end it was just possible that a smoked up CA could have won the game had the CV spotted for him but, nope -- the CV driver still was still merrily trying to farm damage on isolated single ships.

So where was their CV? Well, it was spotting like a good CV, until one of our BBs took it upon itself to go CV hunting. This was great, as it took the enemy CV out of the match but in doing so our BB also sort of took itself out of the match too.

image.png.ce27ac0ad3e663aa88629dc2c4b86e33.png

Then there seemed to be the pathological fear of caps that the team had. The only reason why we even took "A" was that I ran in and tanked damage for several minutes until my team decided to follow me. However, they stopped rather than using the momentum to take B, which at the time was only lightly defended.

image.png.66ccbd93bc40cb02d37c2391a2947650.png

Analysis

1. Failure to spot ("selfish" CV)

2. Failure to cap (not playing objectives)

3. Failure to maintain momentum (too timid)

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 6

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,803 battles

Snarg,  if you want examples of doing things wrong, follow me around.:Smile_facepalm:

Edited by BearlyHereBear
  • Funny 4

[TF-64]
Members
580 posts
21,222 battles
26 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Snarf,  if you want examples of doing things wrong, follow me around.:Smile_facepalm:

Awww man. I was going to volunteer for this position. I can make critical errors with the best of them. 

[O7]
Members
481 posts
30,842 battles

You shouldn't rely on your team to shoot at what you spot, let alone hit it. That's how you end up with a ~50% wr in randoms and end up complaining about bad teams. If you are not doing damage in a cv, then your team is way more likely to lose. If you want to keep something spotted without wasting your time by hovering your planes nearby you can always use fighters placed just outside of aa range but within spotting range (like in clan battles). Outside of very specific circumstances you should be focusing isolated ships in a cv and focus on doing damage. 

• Cool 5

[WOLFC]
Members
2,618 posts

Ya'll do spotting in your BB's and cruisers at the  end of game when all the DD's are dead - so why can't you do it when there are no DD's at the beginning?

• Cool 4

[BONKS]
Banned
957 posts
6,144 battles

No DD's means NO excuses for BB's and Cruiser not to push and be aggressive. 

But sure. Blame it on a class you want to be everywhere at once and fail in doing it's primary role...

I hope nobody ever takes your advice on how to CV. 

• Cool 8

[-KAK-]
Members
648 posts
13,983 battles
15 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

You shouldn't rely on your team to shoot at what you spot, let alone hit it. That's how you end up with a ~50% wr in randoms and end up complaining about bad teams. If you are not doing damage in a cv, then your team is way more likely to lose. If you want to keep something spotted without wasting your time by hovering your planes nearby you can always use fighters placed just outside of aa range but within spotting range (like in clan battles). Outside of very specific circumstances you should be focusing isolated ships in a cv and focus on doing damage. 

Honestly, agreed. 

There's definitely a balance that has to be struck, but TBH there's been plenty of times that I can remember where I spotted for the team most of the game, and they ignored it and went their merry way. Then, at the end of the game you get nothing because you didn't do anything all game. Teamplay is great, and I'd love to actually effectively spot, but the teamwork just isn't there most of the times. That doesn't even touch on the times when players decide that I'm their personal spotter, and I should babysit them (and only them) all game, even when the other flank could desperately use some help.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,699 posts
19,788 battles
58 minutes ago, Slightlyaskewed said:

Awww man. I was going to volunteer for this position. I can make critical errors with the best of them. 

Sounds like a great team we're putting together! Say, where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, that's right...

[RLGN]
Members
16,864 posts
29,558 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

2. Failure to cap (not playing objectives)

Part of the reason my PR is probably so low, (some of the rest being my terrible positioning sense,) is my trying to play objectives rather than farming...

[1984]
Members
4,501 posts
22,278 battles

If youre in back as a bb complaining you cant see, that’s on you not the cv. Get close emough to the cap to spot for yourself so you can actually hit something.

[SALVO]
Members
9,550 posts
6,999 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The DD "mains" players must be all playing Ranked. No DDs so the CV has to be a "DD" and spot.

Yeah bro, I'm in Ranked until season end. It is DD heaven right now.

[WOLFH]
Members
1,292 posts

Ranked?

That is the current game mode that has no CVs.

It makes a person wonder why Ranked is suddenly so popular.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,785 posts

It seems that the general consensus here that a player in a non-DD game with a CV should not expect the CV to spot but that a BB should just "get up there and spot" for them instead.

So, what happens to the BB that goes and does this? Of course it gets fire rained down on it from everything in range. When I noticed that our CV wasn't spotting, I did just that -- I spotted and tanked damage and continued to spot what I could until my ship was destroyed. On the other hand, the enemy CV was flying around and spotting all of my team, so they knew how and where to set up for the greatest advantage. If you don't think that intelligence is important then you really don't know much about warfare, the ritualized warfare we call games, or even business for that matter. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,785 posts
4 minutes ago, C14Alpha said:

Ranked?

That is the current game mode that has no CVs.

It makes a person wonder why Ranked is suddenly so popular.

Do you have some actual stats to back up your implication that Ranked is much more popular this season because there are no CVs in it?

• Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,618 posts
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It seems that the general consensus here that a player in a non-DD game with a CV should not expect the CV to spot but t

You shouldn't expect anything.

Its a unique situation requiring a unique approach.  

Just like every single game we play.

Like in all of them, figure it out.

[O7]
Supertester
447 posts
13,973 battles

I find that it's better to just focus on improving your own gameplay. You can criticize your team all you want, but ultimately the main factor in all of your games is yourself. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,550 posts
6,999 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Do you have some actual stats to back up your implication that Ranked is much more popular this season because there are no CVs in it?

It is popular for me because it is tier 7, and I don't have tier 10s, so I can play Ranked...:Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,785 posts
18 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

It is popular for me because it is tier 7, and I don't have tier 10s, so I can play Ranked...:Smile_izmena:

My first tier VIII was the ARP Takao. I played 800 battles in it before finally realizing that if I ever wanted some higher-tier ships of other types and in other lines that I'd better go back to the tech tree and start grinding them up. 

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,550 posts
6,999 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

My first tier VIII was the ARP Takao. I played 800 battles in it before finally realizing that if I ever wanted some higher-tier ships of other types and in other lines that I'd better go back to the tech tree and start grinding them up. 

I'm really in no rush to play high tiers. It is expensive, the meta is more passive... I just don't find it enticing... I'm clanless I don't play Clan Wars, I don't mind being undertiered... If I ever had the need to play tier 10 in my account, It would be a premium ship... just to make it viable without premium time.

• Cool 1

[WOLFH]
Members
1,292 posts
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Why bother with statistics when I can rely on your anecdotal claim about the absence of DDs in randoms and they "must be all playing Ranked?"

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,785 posts
2 minutes ago, C14Alpha said:

Why bother with statistics when I can rely on your anecdotal claim about the absence of DDs in randoms and they "must be all playing Ranked?"

Yep, you caught me using hyperbole for comedic effect, Congrats.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[AOI]
Members
282 posts

OP ignore most of the comments on here..Your assessment was spot on..Spotting targets is one of the most important aspects of this game and usually can mean the difference in winning and losing..Those with the best potential to spot with the least amount of risk to take damage should spot targets for those with ranged guns and for evaluation of enemy movement..Everyone knows this..You have to understand when you post on the forums here about 75% of people who reply to your posts you have to treat them like fly's at a picnic when you pull the food out they our useless to the topic on hand and just annoy people with sarcastic comments..Ignore them is the best repellent for your sanity... 

Edited by timinindiana

[4HIM]
Members
3,427 posts
16,620 battles
20 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Snarg,  if you want examples of doing things wrong, follow me around.:Smile_facepalm:

Hold my Manhattan

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles
15 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

I find that it's better to just focus on improving your own gameplay. You can criticize your team all you want, but ultimately the main factor in all of your games is yourself. 

Yep.

There are games like this where your team (more noticeable with destroyers than CVs though) do not spot or do the correct things. You have to adapt your playstyle.

I have definitely been in games where I am not spotted but with nothing to shoot because the whole red team is unspotted, where I shoot at nothing water to bait people into opening fire at me in order to provide more spotting. There are many things you can do in order to help yourself in this situation.

Sign in to follow this