You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Really not a rant but...

48 comments in this topic

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,399 posts

When I started here I had all sorts of expectations.  I worked HARD to learn ( i'm sure some here remember my non stop questions everyday ) and played 1000's of rounds before I even went to randoms so i could be worth my salt to my team.

Ranked was ALWAYS out of my realm of reality because I THOUGHT that it was where I would be up against the best of the best so I waited over a YEAR and a couple of thousand Randoms and until I was fairly consistently ending up at LEAST at the top 4 on the end game boards.

A year and a Half ago when I first got here It Seemed WINNING meant something. That's what brought and kept me here. That and the great people who were helpful because THEY TOO wanted to win and so they helped me get better.

This is my first NON Sprint and I am just speechless!

I actually see more yoloing and fast deaths in Ranked than I do anywhere else!

Try to communicate ..Hey you are our only DD the whole team is headed to X

DD goes off to Tijuana to do shots and die so fast you think it's a race.

Ships just going RIGHT into the entire red fleet ALONE to get focused and die in 30 seconds.

Ranked was a goal of mine.  Wanted to Get GUD so I would be valuable.

All I get to do is " Save a Star "  Topping the Loser board is not why I play.

BUZZ KILL!

• Cool 5

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,593 battles
6 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

When I started here I had all sorts of expectations.  I worked HARD to learn ( i'm sure some here remember my non stop questions everyday ) and played 1000's of rounds before I even went to randoms so i could be worth my salt to my team.

Ranked was ALWAYS out of my realm of reality because I THOUGHT that it was where I would be up against the best of the best so I waited over a YEAR and a couple of thousand Randoms and until I was fairly consistently ending up at LEAST at the top 4 on the end game boards.

A year and a Half ago when I first got here It Seemed WINNING meant something. That's what brought and kept me here. That and the great people who were helpful because THEY TOO wanted to win and so they helped me get better.

Ships just going RIGHT into the entire red fleet ALONE to get focused and die in 30 seconds.

BUZZ KILL!

Ranked is the single most toxic thing you can do in Wows .. didn't you hear the stories :)

Rank 10 and fuhgeddaboudit o7

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
10 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Ranked is the single most toxic thing you can do in Wows .. didn't you hear the stories :)

This. Especially with rank 5 now revokable. If they let you run downhill hill go for it. If it becomes an uphill marathon, screw it.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 2

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,399 posts
6 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

I guess I had see it for myself. I expected Toxic.. I Didn't expect Brain dead!

I'm at 13 now.. not sure if it's worth it.

Edited by Col_Nasty

[HINON]
Members
13,732 posts
5 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

This. Especially with rank 5 now revokable. Of they let you run downhill hill go for it. If it becomes an uphill marathon, screw it.

Rank 5 has been revocable for every ranked except some of the very earliest seasons.

Edited by RipNuN2

[WOLFA]
Members
824 posts
7,130 battles

As of today I think I'm officially done with this ranked. Never in my life have I seen the dumpster fire of teams this time around.

I still think they should rename it to "RANKED POTATOES" because the players are complete and utter trash.

I firmly believe that mommy sits them in their seats turns on the computer for them puts one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard and says "have fun honey", they are literary that stupid. I've played I think 28 battles between yesterday and today and I'm still on rank 15. It's gotten to the point that the game is more frustrating than fun.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

Rank 5 has been revocable for almost every ranked except some of the very earliest seasons.

Referring to sprint....

[HINON]
Members
13,732 posts
5 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Referring to sprint....

Ranked and ranked sprint are two very different beasts  :cap_look:

[RLGN]
Members
14,931 posts
26,442 battles
23 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Minimum, absolute minimum ‘worth it’ is Rank 15 and the collectible season flag.

Anything beyond that is up to personal desires and tolerance of everything else that happens.

[PVE]
Members
6,940 posts
22,691 battles
22 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

BUZZ KILL!

If you can muster through to rank 10 you join a higher league & most of the baked potatoes get left behind & at rank 5 you jump into the top league & only the finest potatoes (sour cream & chives type) are left.

Anybody can grind out to rank 10 (eventually) for all the flags & the pocket change doubloons & the flag...& a lot of the potatoes are aware that they are potatoes & stop at that point.

Rough it out & the rank 5 & above will be more to what you were expecting.

Just remember that potatoes are kinda small & even some of them get carried into the top ranks...but a lot fewer than the grind to rank 10.

Just be aware that this advice is coming from a potatoes that has never personally ranked out & is completely speculative...although I got to 1 game away 1 season...& yoyoed back & forth to that 1 game away about 6 more times before dropping back to rank 4 & only climbing back to rank 3 before the end of the season...all my fault...got bent & pulled an all nighter while bent instead of walking away & coming back after the bent straightened back out a little.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
13 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Ranked and ranked sprint are two very different beasts  :cap_look:

Agree. However, perhaps lost on some coming out of one into the other. Was intended as a heads up...

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,593 battles
24 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Ranked 10 is doable for most people in 10-15 games … you get enough rewards and can use the 10% flag for a few weeks 

I've heard people playing hundreds of games, going insane and burning up all their resources to get to rank 1 lol 

Easy pass imo 

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

Perfect example of what the OP is talking about.

Our BB's head A & B. We have no serious opposition there, we're going to cap without even getting shot at. The ship MM is almost a mirror ship for ship, we've got similar ships to the enemy, there's no Belfast's or Haida's. This leaves us with two caps, and a fairly decent position with 3 BB's in the middle of the map. I smashed up their Helena with a couple of Citadels, down to a few hundred HP, their CL's were out of position and the BB's that were pushing B should have been able to be focused fired to death easily.

So what does our DD do? He yolo's into C, then [edited] about getting no support, dies in about 3 minutes having having tried to take on 4 enemy ships. All he had to do was not fire, and turn around. That Cruiser up north is useless and gets shot up before running because apparently looking at the minimap is for suckers.

The southern cruiser runs south for no reason and gets blapped because he gave broadside to two enemy BB's because he doesn't know how to kite. I ended up with multiple kills, got the Gneisenau but ended up getting focus fired to death.

image.thumb.png.bea3770b73818032d58ad8959cbc3a11.pngit.

I ranked out in the last Sprint in 30 games from the dead last rank and this ranked I had been fairly quick to progress up to the last irrevocable rank.

Last night I lost 8 out of 9 games. Half of them were effectively throws, as stupid players tried to solo ships they had no hope (CA vs BB, DD vs CL) instead of avoiding fights, or ignoring objectives and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. This morning I got within one star of Rank 9, then had this game, and an earlier one where the ship match up was an inevitable loss.

I still have no idea why people love 7 v 7 sprint but hate 12 v 12 games. At least in 12 v 12 a pair of idiots can't lose the game within 2 minutes. 7 v 7 one idiot is enough to cost you the game.

Members
388 posts
4,236 battles

I understand your frustration, though since this is more or less my first season actually playing ranked, I'm likely contributing to that frustration. If I am, apologies, I'm trying to adjust since gameplay isn't the same as in randoms.

Personally I'm gonna try for as far as I can go since I'm free to play and getting stuff from playing is pretty appealing to me. 

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles
3 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Especially with rank 5 now revokable.

Why do people keep saying this? It's been revocable for years.

Rank 12 is the last rank that is irrevocable and it's been like that since pretty much the beginning if memory serves right, save last year when they tried Rank 10.

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
3 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

BUZZ KILL!

I too waited quite a while and played quite a lot of random battles before playing my first ranked.  Just remember that, at the moment, you're at the bottom of the ranks - so brand new players, rubbish players and players who are not experienced to the mode are populating those levels - once you break out of that, the teams tend to have more skilled or experienced players (though that doesnt stop the yolos, or frustrating trades etc). 

Still, there is nothing like ranked to focus on improving one's skills - aim, dodging, map awareness, positioning, timing, trading etc are all learnt in the cruicble that is ranked. My own performance always step changed up each time I ranked out, even though Ranked itself was a painful exercise in deep frustration and persistence. 

Good luck!

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
3 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

so I waited over a YEAR

24 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I too waited quite a while and played quite a lot of random battles before playing my first ranked

I'm waiting for at least a few days this time around myself (only did a few ranked... years ago), trying to actually get better.  With how many nutball matches you see in Randoms, I'll do a few and expect the 12 year old with Mommies laptop flame brigade.  Given all the threads about the toxicity and play, I've at least been warned.b

Members
1,194 posts

The normal good/bad players or teams don't bother me much; I am used to that in randoms.  The thing that really chafes me are the teams where two or three battleships and maybe a cruiser hang back or hide behind islands to conserve their HP so they can storm out with guns blazing if necessary to save a star at the end of a game.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
2 minutes ago, Lylanthwol said:

I'm waiting for at least a few days this time around myself (only did a few ranked... years ago), trying to actually get better.  With how many nutball matches you see in Randoms, I'll do a few and expect the 12 year old with Mommies laptop flame brigade.  Given all the threads about the toxicity and play, I've at least been warned.b

Good luck!

I've copied some 'learnings' from my own experience in the below - hopefully it helps speed up your learning process, as I found out the hard way! :p

• Recognise whether you are on the 'strong flank' or the 'weak flank'.  In almost all WoWS battles, your team will split up unevenly - about 1/3 will go one way (lets say towards Capture Point A) and 2/3 will go the other way (lets say to Capture Point C).  Within the first minute of the battle, see if you can work out if you are on the strong of the weak side of your team.  
  • Similarly, recognise whether the enemy in front of you is either strong or weak.  Just as your team broke up unevenly, so did the enemy team. 
    • Also, in addition to absolute numbers, pay attention to their composition including type and tier - for example, are all their high tier battleships on one side, but with no destroyer or cruiser support? This could be a delicious hunting ground if you are a destroyer, and your grave if you are a bottom-tier battleship. 
    • This is where 'spotting' the enemy team to see where they are early on is very important - this is typically the job of destroyers and aircraft carriers.  But a destroyer who gets good spotting in early is at extreme risk of being killed by the enemy team.  Keeping your destroyers alive to late battle is far, far stronger and more important than rushing in at the start - so you need to be close enough to give them supporting fire but not expose yourself to too much return fire.  Its a delicate balancing act.  
  • IF you are on the strong flank and you are facing the enemy's weak flank, and you have an interest in winning, then you have an obligation to push your flank to defeat the enemy on your side of the map - before the enemy can wipe out your teammates on the far side of the map.  Once you have defeated the enemy locally, mid-battle move towards the centre of the map to support your team on the far side of the map - try to shoot at the enemy from the side and rear.  
    • If you are going to do something aggressive, like push a flank, I've always found announcing what you are going to do in team chat (green - not the white global chat!) about 30 seconds to a minute in advance can help garner some support.  Not always, though, and relying on your team to perform critical tasks as always a hiding to nothing (see LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your winrate for further guidance). 
  • IF you are on the weak flank and you are facing the enemy's strong flank, then DO NOT PUSH the enemy - they will focus fire you and melt you down quickly.  Instead, you should try to turn away and 'kite' them (see some later posts in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for a longer description on kiting the enemy).  
    • Your primary job is to keep the main enemy force occupied and to slow them down so that you buy time for your strong flank to defeat the enemy on the far side of the map, then they can come and help you out late battle.  This can be hard to do and takes a lot of practice.  Also, I've found letting your team - politely - know in chat that the enemy is strong on your side of the map and they should immediately push harder on the far flank can help.  
  • IF you and the enemy are evenly matched - whether strong/strong or weak/weak, the outcome of the battle is usually determined through personal skill of the players involved. 
  • Regardless of the situation you are in, there are important things you can do to help your side win: 
    • Shoot weakened ships until they are killed - an enemy on 1% health still shoots back with 100% firepower, can spot you and your team for their teammates to shoot you, and each enemy ship alive is worth points that could result in their victory even as the fighting rages on. 
    • Focus fire - if your teammates are shooting an enemy ship, then you should shoot at it too even if it doesnt present the best target for you.  This is to knock out as many enemy ships as fast as possible, which preserves your own team's HP for later (when it is more important) and can have a psychological impact on the enemy team, who may turn defensive instead of pushing you.  
    • Always shoot at a spotted enemy destroyer - these stealthy ships can run the entire battle undetected but have few hitpoints; shoot at them so they are more concerned about their own survival rather than lining up you or your teammate as their next victim.  
    • Never be alone - enemy carriers and destroyers (in particular) see a lonely enemy ship as simply food.  Even the mightiest battleship alone will still die surprisingly quickly.  This is a team game, so sticking together and working as part of a team is most likely to result in success. 
    • Controlled aggression is the key to winning this game - getting the balance right between taking risks, and when to hold your fire to: get out of the hot spotlight and heal up; remain undetected and slip behind enemy lines; or wait until the enemy is committed to a turn before shooting at an exposed broadside to get maximum damage. Camping at the back loses battles.  Rushing into the middle of the map at the start of battles with no exit plan (particularly as a cruiser) gets you killed and loses battles just the same.
      • On that note, always having an exit plan ready to go before you start shooting at a new enemy is a really helpful way to rapidly build map awareness - typically this involves deciding which island to turn behind to keep you safe from enemy fire, but could mean you need to start turning your guns around before you start firing.  Planning ahead saves lives!  
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
6 hours ago, KosmicRavioli said:

Why do people keep saying this? It's been revocable for years.

Rank 12 is the last rank that is irrevocable and it's been like that since pretty much the beginning if memory serves right, save last year when they tried Rank 10.

I was referring to the last ranked deal, which was sprint, which had irrevokable 5, for those that may get the modes confused...

Members
474 posts
3,049 battles

You have to play ranked at different times and have set standards. If you lose more 2-3 times in a row, call it quits for the day. Its not going to get any better and you're just going to dive down the ranking ladder. 

As you go up the ladder you will get games with the same people over and over, and so if you're getting games with bads, expect to see them again soon if you continue to play that day. 

Members
24 posts
3,394 battles

I know the frustration. Ranked is pretty cancerous and I'm convinced is only meant for those who have lost their sanity long ago. 

I played 5 games yesterday where I lost 4 of them because we had afk players and yolo rushers. I lost only one star for a net gain of zero because I came in first on the losing side the other games. It was so painful and not fun, but that's the nature of the beast.

[HATE]
Members
4 posts
16,506 battles

I prefer ranked to randoms (I'm strange I know) as I feel the level of gameplay is at least SLIGHTLY above the normal level of random play.

I am glad to see this season went away from Tier 10 (and no CV's thank goodness). My only real gripe is now that I hit Rank 5 there aren't enough players in the que to play a match. Back to randoms for awhile I guess...:Smile_sad: