You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Suzuki

Which Destroyer LIne

28 comments in this topic

Members
388 posts
4,257 battles

I'm a pretty big fan of playing the smolbotes, but I'm trying to expand my gameplay out of what I normally play (when it comes to destroyers, I basically just play the Japanese- I have the Yugumo and I'm not too far from the Akizuki).

So, I'm basically looking for another line of destroyers to grind, preferably a strong line of hybrids (I really like the sneakiness of the IJN DDs, it's just that their guns can be really painful to use). I'm particularly interested in the British and Germans. I haven't ever played any British destroyers, and I've just unlocked the Maass for the Germans. The Americans are another candidate, and information on the Russians would also be great. I'd like to avoid the gunboats that don't have smoke, like the French, and I'm not too interested in the Swedish destroyers either. 

Thanks for your help!

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

USN DD's are powercrept by the new Euro DD's.

Say hypothetically, you build a ship with Last Stand, Torp Accel, AFT & BFT, CE, with both the torp mods.

Gearing: 22.22 RPM from the 3x2 gun battery, and 2x5 74 knot, 13.2 km,  99s reload, 18k dmg torps.

Halland: 33.33 RPM from the 2x2 gun battery and 2x5 95 knot, 12 km, 85s reload, 11k dmg torps.

The Halland also has better fire chance, better shell velocity, one of the few AA suites in the game that is actually painful for Carriers to attack. It doesn't have smoke but it does have the speedboost, DFAA and a heal. Most of the other stats are roughly the same.

The only reason to go down the USN DD line instead of Euro is if you're the type of player who has to have a smoke in their DD to function.

Edited by macktkau2

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

American Destroyers are the closest to the IJN, and then the British come after them in comparison to the IJN.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
47 minutes ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

Just got the Gearing and enjoying it until I get attacked by CV's repeatedly.

Gearing actually does pretty well against CVs with some practice.

And if you have trouble still with Gearing and CVs you can always add Basic Fire Training and Aa signal flags to beef up your AA further. Also use the “O” when the aircraft are innrange and it will focus your AA fire to burn through aircraft more effectively.

[WPORT]
Members
6,673 posts
11,674 battles

Depends upon the play style you want to enjoy/cultivate.

Some DD's have a low or competitive detection radius.
Some have long-range torpedoes.
Some have short-range torpedoes.
Some have more guns.
Some torpedoes do more damage per-torpedo.
Some DD's have strong AA suites.
Some have turrets that are slower or faster than others in their tier.
Some have better torpedo launching arcs.

The Nicholas' 4x3 torpedo tube arrangement is nice for a target-rich environment with plenty of islands to use for cover and setting-up ambushes.  But her torpedoes don't travel far, about 6 km, if memory serves me.
The USN DD line goes through some design philosophy variations as one goes up the tech-tree.  Some of them I simply skipped with FXP.  I'm up to tier-7 now.

I like the Cossack, but am not a fan of most of the British DD's.

I like the IJN, and recently acquired the Minekaze, just to explore that line-split.  In the other line, I'm up to the Akatsuki.
I like the HSF Harekaze (mostly for the anime' connection, but she's a competent 'bote in her own right).  I also have Yuudachi for the "Poi!" connection to Kantai Collection anime'.

I'm exploring the German DD line, and think they're competent and have a nice "flavor".
G-101 has some interesting torpedo launching arcs, once researched.

EU/Sweedish DD's.  I'm not a fan of Visby.  Others in the line have strong AA suites that I play against when I'm using one of my CV's.  I think aerial torpedoes pack more punch in their warheads than EU DD's do, maybe?
They lack the speed to run away and they lack the punch to "one-salvo" a Battleship.  Might want to play a CV, if you like hitting targets multiple times with a torpedo attack until it sinks.  ;-)

French DD's are competent, but easily detected.  Aside from the Aigle, most don't have smoke.  They're fun to play in low-tiers.  At higher tiers, they're facing tougher opponents and smarter players.  Some people like a challenge, though.  :-)

Russian DD's.  Some are able to turn like a white-water kayak.  ;-)  Short range torpedoes 4 km, at least at lower tiers.  Often have decent or numerous guns.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,268 posts
21,684 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Suzuki said:

I'm a pretty big fan of playing the smolbotes, but I'm trying to expand my gameplay out of what I normally play (when it comes to destroyers, I basically just play the Japanese- I have the Yugumo and I'm not too far from the Akizuki).

So, I'm basically looking for another line of destroyers to grind, preferably a strong line of hybrids (I really like the sneakiness of the IJN DDs, it's just that their guns can be really painful to use). I'm particularly interested in the British and Germans. I haven't ever played any British destroyers, and I've just unlocked the Maass for the Germans. The Americans are another candidate, and information on the Russians would also be great. I'd like to avoid the gunboats that don't have smoke, like the French, and I'm not too interested in the Swedish destroyers either. 

Thanks for your help!

European. 

Very strong torp boats with AA.

British.

French for the I don't care that I'm better than russian boats.

[NG-NL]
Members
343 posts
9,858 battles

Well, you have the Z-39. If you enjoy that, I think you'll enjoy the German DD line.

British DDs certainly meet your criteria. I love that line.
Two cautions, though: their smoke doesn't last long, and they have relatively weak AA. If you struggle with either of those, you might get frustrated.

[LANCE]
Members
834 posts
6,198 battles
1 hour ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

Just got the Gearing and enjoying it until I get attacked by CV's repeatedly.

If you can get the UU it’ll bring your detection down to Shima level (5.6km). Use the 16km iirc and torp speed boost skill brings them down to 13.2km. You can slot DFAA instead of speedboost giving you some extra AA (although it’s debatable). With that great detection range, excellent USN smoke, 13.2km 71ktns torps with lowing detection range and base AA of over 5km AA you can be quite effective against CV’s, stealth torp the longest radar and your guns are still pretty potent.  It gives you pretty good utility boat.

Just my $0.02 but it’s working pretty good for me in CB’s

Good luck mate!

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Destroyers are complicated. The destroyer type, as a whole, features every gimmick in the game except for aircraft. Each line has well distinguished strengths and weaknesses. They may overlap a little but the flavors are pretty distinct. Every line has at least one stinker.i assume your goal is to get a tier 10. In my opinion the later tiers are where it matters most. The later tiers are where you'll spend the most time grinding. That said, I think the British and American are your best bets overall for more traditional roles. The Japanese Akizuki line is your best bet overall for gunboats. 

Edited by thebigblue

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,806 posts
16,981 battles

USN great utility DD’s. Peppy guns starting at the T6 Farragut and T7 Mahan B hull you get to start stealth torping. They are jack of all trades master of none. The Swiss Army knives of DD’s. Of the tech tree line it culminated with the T9’s Fletcher which can carry very well in T10 matches as well. Hard hitting torpedos with 10km range. Five individual turrets with one gun a piece. So if one turret is blown up you still have four out of your five guns to use. Opposed to losing two guns if it was a double gunned turret. The handling of the T9’s Fletcher opposed to the T10 Gearing is like comparing a Corvette vs a school bus. They have the option of AA defensive fire. The line gets good concealment and, the best smoke screen in game. If planes are coming for you, pop the smoke and you have two minutes to wait it out while a CV captain gets bored and goes looking for easier prey. The smoke is a gift when smoking and spotting for a high DPM cruiser or helping a team mate who is trying to withdraw from the action. Can be a life saver for you and or a teammate. Just don’t get to comfy, upper tier radar can strip you of your safety net. As well as smoke clouds usually attract torpedos.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[SCOM]
Members
221 posts
9,420 battles

DDs are probably my favorite class at the moment.  That said I have all the lines to 10 and the ones I enjoy the most are the British.  I have reset the line at least 6 times I like them that much.  Once you get past tier 6 they really shine with hit and run tactics.  Those short smokes can be lifesavers.

Other than that loved the Fletcher, and Gearing as well.  Pretty much any Tier 9 DD rocks. Cant get enough of the Benham, such a fun boat.

Really depends on your playstyle though.

[HMSCA]
Beta Testers
28 posts
2,805 battles
3 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

Say hypothetically, you build a ship with Last Stand, Torp Accel, AFT & BFT, CE, with both the torp mods.

Gearing: 22.22 RPM from the 3x2 gun battery, and 2x5 74 knot, 13.2 km,  99s reload, 18k dmg torps.

Halland: 33.33 RPM from the 2x2 gun battery and 2x5 95 knot, 12 km, 85s reload, 11k dmg torps.

The Halland also has better fire chance, better shell velocity, one of the few AA suites in the game that is actually painful for Carriers to attack. It doesn't have smoke but it does have the speedboost, DFAA and a heal. Most of the other stats are roughly the same.

The only reason to go down the USN DD line instead of Euro is if you're the type of player who has to have a smoke in their DD to function.

or because the gearing with or without legendary with spot the halland before they can do anything.....Gearing and Shima's are basically the only super stealth boats with the 4.8(?) and 5.6.....also CV's need to fly right over you if your being spotted by a CV you need to be less predictable in your pathing to obj.....radar can obviously goof you tho as with your super uber low detection...you sometimes forget that Worc can make you completely visible to everyone....

Smaland and Yueyang are also pretty sexy....Halland is sexy but mostly for the 85kn torps of "you cant dodge this" in a DD fight tho....you will get spotted by almost every other dd first...and if they actually have CL CA support probably blapped....I've gun killed Hallands in my Shima repeatedly since their intro...but i've also caught their torps so many times i had to put vigilance on my shima capt lol

[ALWC]
Members
1,189 posts
14,921 battles
3 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

I’m a dd main. I hear weekly the Gearing is dead.  With her longe range torp and good dpm and concealment she is strong in any game. Smoke can hide team mates or yourself. Still the best cb dd. 

Halland matches the long range torps, well almost as long as the Gearing, monster AA but slow, so so concealment, Great dpm guns but not a lot of dmg. While she has a heal using her guns against anything other than a crippled ship is suicide. Halland is more pure torp boat with great AA. It’s a fun dd but it hasn’t supplanted the Gearing 

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
5 hours ago, Captain_Suzuki said:

Thanks for your help!

ACtually, I was going to suggest the Swedish destroyers - like the IJN they are effective with their particular kind of torps, but they have guns that actually function and AA to discourage predatory behaviour by carriers.  

The USN destroyer line is solid though, but the guns are a bit floaty and the torps are a bit more suicidal range.  But the Fletcher (and Gearing) are also good torp boates. 

I wasnt a fan of the Soviet and French DDs - I realise that other people can make them work, but I always found open water gunboating and setting fires ot things in a DD wasnt really fun, and caused problems when you were the only DD on the flank and kinda were forced into contesting a cap even though you were poorly suited to it.  

The German DD line could be good for you though - personally, I had more success with them as primarily torp boates, but they had guns that more or less worked.  Their key advantage is large HP pools, but because they're fat they take extra AP damage.  Being unstealthy doesnt help, but their long-range sonar means you can push enemy DDs in their smoke if you have some great situational awareness.  

I found the UK DDs a bit slow and the hydro not as much range as I liked.  But they can be brutal on a cap - but because they have no AA and short smokes, CVs just prey on them.  I had a bad time, as I was trying to do UK DDs just as the CV rework happened and the skies were full of OP rockets...

See also my Quick Reference Guide for some thoughts on other lines and how they play.  

Hope that helps. 

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
5 hours ago, Captain_Suzuki said:

I'm not too far from the Akizuki).

The Americans are another candidate

not too interested in the Swedish destroyers either. 

Thanks for your help!

Be sure to get the Akizuki as it still is a really fun gunboat. Besides, it's named after Jingles' cat.

maxresdefault.jpg

As far as the USN line goes, the Gearing is my Most-played ship. It's a generalist, not the best torpedo, gunboat, or AA boat but it can usually hold its own in most situations. Those 16.5 km torps make it almost a must when it comes to battles having a lot of 12 km Russian radars to contend with. The Fletcher is a great ship too and is more nimble than the Gearing with faster torpedo reloads (you can get the Gearing's reloads faster too but generally you will want to spec it as a generalist, not a torpedo boat). 

Don't discount the new Swedish DDs. Check out this guy in the Smaland.

image.png.e3d1025dda5fdb1c5f1bf5d8edc7b95a.png

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,561 battles

Try all the various DD lines & figure out for yourself which you like more.  Advice is advice but playing is the key :Smile_teethhappy:

[SAPP]
Members
97 posts
8,623 battles
4 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

If you can get the UU it’ll bring your detection down to Shima level (5.6km). Use the 16km iirc and torp speed boost skill brings them down to 13.2km. You can slot DFAA instead of speedboost giving you some extra AA (although it’s debatable). With that great detection range, excellent USN smoke, 13.2km 71ktns torps with lowing detection range and base AA of over 5km AA you can be quite effective against CV’s, stealth torp the longest radar and your guns are still pretty potent.  It gives you pretty good utility boat.

Just my $0.02 but it’s working pretty good for me in CB’s

Good luck mate!

Mr. Bravo4zero, I'm going to give that a try.  Thank you, Sir

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
834 posts
6,198 battles
45 minutes ago, IRISHSDOWN said:

Mr. Bravo4zero, I'm going to give that a try.  Thank you, Sir

Welcome mate! Hope it works out good for you!

[WORX]
Members
11,451 posts
19,196 battles

In a CV battle... None, no DD experience is worth the frustration in a CV match

In co-op, all of them... Play all the DD lines at least 10 times in Co-op... Its a good start...

Random... Go American or French... They're forgiving IMO...

• Boring 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,114 posts
11,354 battles

I would recommend the RN DD line. 

As they have good guns, and their rapid smoke deployment frequency lends to a very unique tactics where other DD could not do.

Higher the line gets, their performance generally rises (as with other ship lines). Specially felt after reaching tier 7.  After reaching tier 7, I recall that I really felt the change of pace/performance of her.  One of the few lines where you know you'll enjoy it further you go.

She also gets Hydro, and the RN unique single firing torpedo tubes.  For aggressively natured players, I found RN DD line to be an ideal match.