You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

A painful reminder that WGC's to come ...

153 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

I don't intend to be either anti-WGC or pro-WGC.

I didn't realize when I opened the PT client today that WGC would be required.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ef6293d9d1771ed6c1c45c4faf0ddb80.png

I clicked "Install" and then "Accept" (the EULA and conditions) and WGC was automatically installed in my C:/ folder. (I don't have big problems with this, but I thought WGC was fixed so we could choose where to install it. I didn't get any options to choose an installation folder.)

And then the NA version of my game was removed? (Oh well, I guess I could re-install through WGC.)

Spoiler

image.png.7f89ef004fb65531c386f07f76894f00.png

But the real problem that's frustrating me the most is that I can't log in and play anymore. (Is that a 55288? Or is that a 055288? I'm not a bot and I have difficulty reading some of those CAPTCHAs.)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fecb95d85d0ce47807e15a58b9c615c9.png

I have no idea why my password isn't accepted, except there might be some RU/NA realm discontinuity. The PT server is managed by the RU region and the NA server isn't. I even reset my password so now they're the same on NA and RU.

I will submit a ticket, but honestly, I don't expect much help from CS with PT access issues. In the past, they've always directed me to RU and recently they've taken ~20 hours to respond. Maybe it's better to not play WoWS today.

Overall, a negative first experience with WGC.

Edited by henrychenhenry
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
4 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

I didn't get any options to choose an installation folder.

can move it after installed

• Confused 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,089 posts
18 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

I didn't realize when I opened the PT client today that WGC would be required

Overall, a negative first experience with WGC.

I ran into the same issue ... just got through spending almost an hour trying to install and login ... I finally reset my password and was able to get it.  Thinking now that the .net and game passwords were different.

Public Test server instance is still updating (repairing ... they call it) ... over 2 GB ... and the WGC was still telling me at one point I may still have problems with the normal game (the NA Instance).

I also had to abort a couple of WGC programs using the Task Manager ... just to try to install again.  So far I'm not impressed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, can someone now re-explain how we can just run the game without having to start through WGC and then have to abort that from running in the background?

p.s.  I'm not feeling like my "gaming experience" has been taken to the next level yet ... unless that level is down.

[WORX]
Members
11,454 posts
19,196 battles

This is not complicated as it seems...

• DL WGC
  • From there you DL WOWS
  • Now in the WOWS tab, You'll see
    • Game Instance and Game settings... From here
    • Click on Game settings and GOTO
      • Install additional game instance...
    • In the Game Instance page... in the upper left corner, it will say "North America."
      • Change it to Public test and click install

Now if you done everything right and there is a problem with a User/pass information validation... I recommend to use the password reset function to see if the E-mail used was correct.

Then just click on Log IN on the upper left... Enter the correct information with the right plateform, and you're in... Its not that hard...

I been using WGC for close to 2 years now... Its a great tool to managing multiple platform logins.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,373 posts
12,800 battles

Just a FYI but the PT client is a different server therefore you can have totally different login and password than what you have on NA. In order to get the rewards the email used has to be the same on both servers but you can have different passwords. If you used the same password as NA when you created your PT account and you later changed your NA password it will not change your PT password. 

Members
985 posts
4,091 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.ef6293d9d1771ed6c1c45c4faf0ddb80.png

I clicked "Install" and then "Accept" (the EULA and conditions) and WGC was automatically installed in my C:/ folder. (I don't have big problems with this, but I thought WGC was fixed so we could choose where to install it. I didn't get any options to choose an installation folder.)

There's a second version of WGC that allows the option of where to install it. Took a bit to find out there was one. But this link should have the option for you. Upon opening the install file, click view settings and set your location.

https://na.wargaming.net/en/wgc

Edited by DeathLord1969

[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

And you can still bypass the whole thing by using a shortcut to the executable. Only need WGC for updates.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,089 posts
20 minutes ago, z9_ said:

And you can still bypass the whole thing by using a shortcut to the executable. Only need WGC for updates.

OK, got it figured out now ... 

Still have to wait for another 3.3 GB download for the PTS though,  it decided the 2.2 GB repair wasn't enough pain. :Smile_facepalm: :Smile_veryhappy:

I thought these were siupposed to automatically download in the background?  Don't see that in the options though ... and I'm not wasting more time atm to wait on it.  Maybe it'll update later.

• Cool 1

1,063 posts
11 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I thought these were siupposed to automatically download in the background?  Don't see that in the options though

you can limit DL speed, WGC settings, update

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,089 posts
7 minutes ago, Ozium said:

you can limit DL speed, WGC settings, update

Thanks, figured it had to be hiding in that list somewhere.

... edit: ah, it was in Settings, not in Game Settings where I was originally looking.  Regardless, it's set to Unlimited so don't know why it would be advising me I could speed things up.  But, not an issue, thanks again.

Edited by DocWalker

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,532 posts

What, wait... people are having trouble with WGC?  It's more of a PITA than the launcher?  

That can't be, Wargaming told us it's a better, faster, gooder program, they promised! 

:Smile_sceptic:   

• Cool 4

[WOLFC]
Members
3,089 posts
52 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

OK, got it figured out now ... 

Still have to wait for another 3.3 GB download for the PTS though,  it decided the 2.2 GB repair wasn't enough pain. :Smile_facepalm: :Smile_veryhappy:

I thought these were siupposed to automatically download in the background?  Don't see that in the options though ... and I'm not wasting more time atm to wait on it.  Maybe it'll update later.

Fired up PTS Update while I went to walk the dog ... thought this must surely get done by the time I get back.  

Someone at WG has a sick sense of "humor"  :cap_fainting: I could reinstall faster! ... so, PTS is cancelled for the foreseeable future.

Screenshot_3.jpg

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,532 posts
5 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Fired up PTS Update while I went to walk the dog ... thought this must surely get done by the time I get back.  

Someone at WG has a sick sense of "humor"  :cap_fainting: I could reinstall faster! ... so, PTS is cancelled for the foreseeable future.

Screenshot_3.jpg

The live server is going to inflict this same garbage on the next update.

Slow buggy updates, constant re-downloading, absolutely unnecessary "integrity checks", etc...

Meanwhile, the old classic Launcher is rock-solid and never has a problem, AND can be set up to nix torrents and only download direct.

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
8,017 posts
14 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The live server is going to inflict this same garbage on the next update.

Slow buggy updates, constant re-downloading, absolutely unnecessary "integrity checks", etc...

Meanwhile, the old classic Launcher is rock-solid and never has a problem, AND can be set up to nix torrents and only download direct.

The game's size is the game's size.  There is no getting around that no matter how you download it.

I honestly have zero trouble with the WGC.  Been using it for a few years now and it predownload's updates that are coming if I want, while I am not playing and before the official update release day to beat the crowd etc.

It also put's the PTS and the live game in the same place, along with tanks and planes if you also happen to play those.  I prefer it.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,532 posts
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The game's size is the game's size.  There is no getting around that no matter how you download it.

First, the game shouldn't need to re-download every time there's an update and sometimes even when there isn't.

Second, even if the patch is the same size file, that doesn't make every method of downloading it take the same time -- a buggy download manager (as opposed to direct simple download) can slow the process considerably. 

I honestly have zero trouble with the WGC.  Been using it for a few years now and it predownload's updates that are coming if I want, while I am not playing and before the official update release day to beat the crowd etc.

It also put's the PTS and the live game in the same place, along with tanks and planes if you also happen to play those.  I prefer it.

Ah, yes, WGC's renowned "features".

The only thing I use the current launcher for is grabbing updates (sadly, we can't just go get an update file).  Other than that, it never runs, I run the game's exe directly.  I don't need a "manager" to pre-download, to shove "news" in my face, to "help organize" my games, or any of that crap.  It's the same useless list of "features" that crapware like Steam, Origin, Blizzard's thing whatever it's called, etc, all offer. 

AND I don't need it reporting back to WG what else I have on my computer or what hardware I'm running -- none of which is any of WG or any other company's business. 

• Cool 5

[A-D-F]
8,017 posts
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

First, the game shouldn't need to re-download every time there's an update and sometimes even when there isn't.

Second, even if the patch is the same size file, that doesn't make every method of downloading it take the same time -- a buggy download manager (as opposed to direct simple download) can slow the process considerably. 

Ah, yes, WGC's renowned "features".

The only thing I use the current launcher for is grabbing updates (sadly, we can't just go get an update file).  Other than that, it never runs, I run the game's exe directly.  I don't need a "manager" to pre-download, to shove "news" in my face, to "help organize" my games, or any of that crap.  It's the same useless list of "features" that crapware like Steam, Origin, Blizzard's thing whatever it's called, etc, all offer. 

AND I don't need it reporting back to WG what else I have on my computer or what hardware I'm running -- none of which is any of WG or any other company's business. 

I have never once seen it download the entire game again, including for this PTS, which I have been playing all day.  I dunno why he is getting a 40 gig download, I think it's his first time using the WGC.  My download for this PTS was MUCH much smaller.

I understand that you don't like the features but, I do.  I use them nearly everyday in the GC to read the news, enter game codes, access the forums etc.  In my experience, the thing does what it says on the tin and works well.  The preloading thing is a huge help.  I am ready and in game, on patch day, in under 3-5 minutes usually.

I really don't care if WG knows what video card driver version I am running or who made my sound card.  It's not a super squirrel secret.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,532 posts

I have never once seen it download the entire game again, including for this PTS, which I have been playing all day.  I dunno why he is getting a 40 gig download, I think it's his first time using the WGC.  My download for this PTS was MUCH much smaller.

I understand that you don't like the features but, I do.  I use them nearly everyday in the GC to read the news, enter game codes, access the forums etc.  In my experience, the thing does what it says on the tin and works well.  The preloading thing is a huge help.  I am ready and in game, on patch day, in under 3-5 minutes usually.

I really don't care if WG knows what video card driver version I am running or who made my sound card.  It's not a super squirrel secret.

What about other software you have installed?  Other aspects of what goes on with your computer?

Steam, Origin, etc are notorious for poking around your PC, why should we expect WGC to be any different?

[CYNIC]
Members
2,826 posts
7,043 battles
4 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

I don't intend to be either anti-WGC or pro-WGC.

I didn't realize when I opened the PT client today that WGC would be required.

That's what happens when you don't stay current on the news.  It's been stated 10 different times over the last few months.

I wish I had a dollar for everyone surprised that something that's been announced for months, happens.

Give it a couple weeks and we'll be flooded with "why can't I get moskva, I was almost done grinding for her" and "why didn't I get compensation for moskva perma camo".

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
8,017 posts
5 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

What about other software you have installed?  Other aspects of what goes on with your computer?

Steam, Origin, etc are notorious for poking around your PC, why should we expect WGC to be any different?

I have some massive number of Steam games on my computer.  So do millions of other users.  It's basically been running on my gaming PCs, on start up for...I dunno, over a decade.  Same with the Blizzard platform.

I get persec and one should be aware of current situations,  but there comes a point when it turns into tinfoil hattery.

[LSNB]
[LSNB]
Members
291 posts
7,318 battles
4 minutes ago, CV_Jeebies said:

Give it a couple weeks and we'll be flooded with "why can't I get moskva, I was almost done grinding for her" and "why didn't I get compensation for moskva perma camo".

FYI many people, including myself have been aware and vocally upset over the fate of moskva and her permacamo. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,532 posts
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I have some massive number of Steam games on my computer.  So do millions of other users.  It's basically been running on my gaming PCs, on start up for...I dunno, over a decade.  Same with the Blizzard platform.

I get persec and one should be aware of current situations,  but there comes a point when it turns into tinfoil hattery.

I don't have Steam installed, or Origin, nor will I ever.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[A-D-F]
8,017 posts
12 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I don't have Steam installed, or Origin, nor will I ever.

That's your choice to make, nothing wrong with that.  That doesn't mean that because you do not, that Steam or WG, is after everyone's secret family Lasagna recipes though.

If you have some actual proof of nefarious activity, I am sure that everyone, including me, would be willing to listen.  WG knowing what CPU I am using though, is not a problem.  That's just standard video game reporting.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,532 posts
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

That's your choice to make, nothing wrong with that.  That doesn't mean that because you do not, that Steam or WG, is after everyone's secret family Lasagna recipes though.

If you have some actual proof of nefarious activity, I am sure that everyone, including me, would be willing to listen.  WG knowing what CPU I am using though, is not a problem.  That's just standard video game reporting.

IMO, it's none of their damn business, any more than the info that Microsoft's "telemetry" (that is, spyware) collects is MS's business.

[A-D-F]
8,017 posts
5 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

IMO, it's none of their damn business, any more than the info that Microsoft's "telemetry" (that is, spyware) collects is MS's business.

I understand why they want to know what hardware people are running their games on.  It helps to troubleshoot bugs with specific hardware or driver versions. 

It is REALLY hard to solve a problem created by some change in a driver that Nvidia put out, without knowing that it's suddenly all the users who have that card and driver, who are having the problem.

Honestly, what are they going to do with that information, what hardware and drivers that I am running, exactly, to cause harm to me? 

I am on the phone right now, on hold, using a Samsung S9+ and the TV that is muted in front of me is an LG....something or other, I am sure I can get the model number.  Whoop di doo.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,532 posts
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I understand why they want to know what hardware people are running their games on.  It helps to troubleshoot bugs with specific hardware or driver versions. 

It is REALLY hard to solve a problem created by some change in a driver that Nvidia put out, without knowing that it's suddenly all the users who have that card and driver, who are having the problem.

Honestly, what are they going to do with that information, what hardware and drivers that I am running, exactly, to cause harm to me? 

I am on the phone right now, on hold, using a Samsung S9+ and the TV that is muted in front of me is an LG....something or other, I am sure I can get the model number.  Whoop di doo.

It doesn't matter, it's private information and whether or not the user shares it should be the user's decision, not a mandatory condition of playing the game.

Same with whatever other info WGC (or Steam, or Origin) is vacuuming up and sending home.