You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Kill stealing

48 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,151 posts
13,741 battles

I was accused of "kill stealing" in a coop. The 2nd two ships I sunk were near full health, up close & personal torpedo attacks, and the 1st was shooting at me. I'm not sure where the "kill stealing" took place.

Before you say it I know there is no such thing as "kill stealing".

While I make no claim to being a unicum I have sunk 6 ships before in a single coop & sinking 3 or 4 is not a rarity even with a all live player team. In other words I do have good battles.

I've had a teammate tell me to back off and allow the BB's to sink a ship in a coop. 

IMO a coop is a race with your teammates to see who sinks the most in the shortest amount of time.

I've seen players call a ship at the 1st of the match. Hey pal, it is 1st come 1st served.

Now if a player say they need something to complete a directive I do try to oblige if I do not need the same.

Coops are very different than  PVP battles. You wait in a coop and you may receive a "did not participate."

In PVP you need to work as a team.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,470 posts
24,788 battles

Kills are worth less experince than actual damage anyway. That's how someone with no kills but a ton of damage can place higher on the leader board than someone with 5 or 6 kills.

• Cool 2

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles

I have found that people in coop are considerably more toxic around things like kill stealing than any other gamemode.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[WORX]
Members
11,417 posts
19,183 battles

Co-op should be the Canadian zone of the game... Everyone should be friendly, understanding and without entitlement issues...

When I start to see an agitated "Main" start inventing rules like "Kill stealing." I just kindly remind them the learning purpose of Co-op.. I further drive home the error of his ways in his distorted views about Co-op...

That is the least I can do to further the education of the player base about Co-op and its role/function in the game...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
16 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I was accused of "kill stealing" in a coop

just laugh at them and say if aren't good enough to get it yourself then you obviously don't deserve it    :Smile_medal:

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I was accused of "kill stealing" in a coop.

More often than not when someone helps sink an enemy they get a "ty" rather than a kill stealing accusation. I was just in a Ranked game yesterday where I wished that someone had been there to help me with two DDs, as they got away with only a few hit-points left but later ended up winning the match by stealth torping the rest of my team once I sank. The only time that you might not want to secure a kill is if someone has mentioned that they'd like a Kraken and, by letting them sink the ship, you could give one to them.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,285 posts
12,176 battles

everytime ive been accused of kill stealing, ive simply said "Show me where your name was on that ship" that either shuts them up or they try and TK me which just shows everyone in the match how immature they are, either way, i win that argument with the high ground

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLFG]
Members
10,635 posts
9,858 battles
6 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I have found that people in coop are considerably more toxic around things like kill stealing than any other gamemode.

There isn't much toxicity, but it usually revolves around "kill stealing".

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
Just now, tcbaker777 said:

everytime ive been accused of kill stealing, ive simply said "Show me where your name was on that ship" that either shuts them up or they try and TK me which just shows everyone in the match how immature they are, either way, i win

Someday, someone is going to say "My name is Jonas Fletcher."

[TDRB]
Members
5,151 posts
13,741 battles
4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

It has been my experience that coop players are far, far less toxic than PVP players, including kill stealing. The action is too fast.

Many random players use coop to complete directives. I believe what you observed were random players bringing their toxicity to coops.

• Cool 4

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,901 battles

Kill stealing does not exist. They are deceased now so the term needs to go with them.

[TDRB]
Members
5,151 posts
13,741 battles
6 minutes ago, Ozium said:

just laugh at them and say if aren't good enough to get it yourself then you obviously don't deserve it    :Smile_medal:

It is rare that I see anyone in a coop accused of kill stealing, not just at me but any team member.

My purpose was to say there is no such thing as kill stealing and PVE is not the same as PVP play.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles

Really the only time I don't target and shoot at a lowest health ship is if someone with 4 kills is also shooting at that ship . Then if the match is pretty much wrapped up  I stop and let him get his Kraken .

Of course if it's Naval battels or a mission and I need that kill then I keep shooting .

Edited by clammboy

[TDRB]
Members
5,151 posts
13,741 battles
9 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

There isn't much toxicity, but it usually revolves around "kill stealing".

I would say friendly fire is the #1 cause of coop hostility by a huge margin. In a coop you receive friendly fire from both human & bot teammates.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles

Edit

9 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

It has been my experience that coop players are far, far less toxic than PVP players, including kill stealing. The action is too fast.

Many random players use coop to complete directives. I believe what you observed were random players bringing their toxicity to coops.

A little sensitive about co-op but could be true .

[ARGSY]
Members
21,642 posts
15,689 battles
29 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

near full health, up close & personal torpedo attacks,

That's not kill-stealing. Kill-stealing is deliberately holding fire and waiting for some other poor sucker to do most of the work and then getting the killing shot. 

The main reason I get annoyed with having my kills snatched away from me is when I've just blown all my torps or my BB guns for nothing and am faced with a long reload.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[GGWP]
Members
7,124 posts
16,400 battles
10 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

Kill stealing does not exist, the term was made up by a neckbeard in a basement somewhere up north. They are deceased now so the term needs to go with them.

I'm still alive actually

• Funny 2

[TDRB]
Members
5,151 posts
13,741 battles
Just now, clammboy said:

Edit

A little sensitive about co-op but could be true .

Not reality but many coop players are seeking a haven to enjoy the game without the toxicity levels found in random & rank play.

• Cool 1

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

Focus firing low health enemy targets is the most effective tactic, in fact players should be doing it a lot more often. Dead reds do not shoot back, eliminate them as quickly as possible and your win % goes up.

The whole concept of kill stealing is absurd.

• Cool 2

[WOLFO]
Members
560 posts
4,889 battles

poaching exists. I'd appreciate it not being done to me, as I don't(actively try) do it to others. Nothing more thankless. I will hold my fire, for an obvious one v one. it's respect.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles
16 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Not reality but many coop players are seeking a haven to enjoy the game without the toxicity levels found in random & rank play.

Have you tried it lately it's not really that bad . I honestly don't see a lot toxicity yes once in a blue moon you run into an idiot but for the most part not much raging .

Nothing that should drive you away . Sometimes when I am drinking and losing a lot I will start whining but I don't abuse anyone and most of the time I apologize .

And so far as this ranked season goes everyone has been great . Of course I started at rank 17 so there's no pressure because you don't fall back but so far everyone has been cool 

Edited by clammboy

[TDRB]
Members
5,151 posts
13,741 battles
9 minutes ago, iamSamoth said:

poaching exists. I'd appreciate it not being done to me, as I don't(actively try) do it to others. Nothing more thankless. I will hold my fire, for an obvious one v one. it's respect.

One Vs one does not exist in a team game.

• Cool 1

[VAST_]
Members
134 posts
4,313 battles

Seems to me it’s a combat game. If I were in combat I sure as heck wouldn’t want my buddies to hold their fire so I can reload and hopefully kill the enemy I just wounded, who is still shooting at us all.

OTOH, if I can choose whether to shoot at a low HP enemy who has been previously engaged by a team mate, and no one in my team is in imminent danger of dying to that enemy, I generally pick a different target or hold my fire to allow them the satisfaction of the kill (and the ribbon.) Still, sometimes in the heat of battle one doesn’t stop to analyze all that, and one gets accused of kill stealing. Oh well... In that case do what I do and keep chat turned off. I find there is far more toxic than useful chat.

Edited by sirwill1972