You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HolyWaterCow

Buff Blyskawica; the ship isn't a shadow of what people initially paid for.

36 comments in this topic

[R-SKY]
Members
64 posts
17,177 battles

This is less an issue of being "power crept" and much more an issue of buying a ship that was completely undercut by a significant change to WOWS' gameplay itself (elimination of invisible firing). 

Changes to the game can be expected but when there is a very significant change to the game that effectively renders a ship useless, there should be changes to the ship as well so it isn't rendered obsolete. This is especially true when it is a PREMIUM ship that people purchased for its now non-existent unique trait: the ability to invisible-fire. That was Blyskawica's huge selling point and what made it a beastly DD worth spending the money on. Despite that, invisible-firing was a pretty bad idea and WG was right to get rid of it. However, these game changes were made while (somehow) overlooking the need to make changes to the ships that heavily relied on invisible-firing..... especially the ones people paid for (ahem).

Even after the ~$30 premium DD lost its defining/best trait, it still had things to offer: at the time it was still one of the fastest DDs and still had very good mid to long range fire power (all relative to other DDs in its tier at the time). It was still a formidable ship. However, over time many new DDs have been added and now the already neutered Blyskawica has been power-crept to the point that it's just mediocre. It's actually a burden to play in Ranked now; it literally doesn't have any traits that are superior to non-premium T7 DDs (and it's clearly inferior to other premium T7 DDs). Its once superior speed, guns, range, and HP are now just about average compared to the laundry list of T7 DDs. The only thing that sets it apart from other T7 DDs is that it has this bizarre, almost masochistic imbalance: terrible concealment (6.8km) combined with mediocre means of compensating for it (guns/torps/speed). "Here I am, visible at a whopping 6.8km with nothing to offer anymore. Finish the job that WG started." It's tragic... But! More importantly, this tragedy cost ~$30.

CLIFF NOTES about the PROBLEM: Blyskawica, a PREMIUM ship (I think it was around ~$30 when it first came out), has been screwed twice (as have those who originally purchased it, like me). The first and BY FAR most damaging screw job was the removal of invisible-firing which was Blyskawica's great strength (and main selling point) and this was done after most people bought the boat. Second, Blys was still decent relative to other T7 DDs after the removal of invisible-firing but since then, the already kneecapped premium ship was power-crept by the introduction of loads of new T7 DDs. It's now just a average at best DD in random battles and a turd sandwich in Ranked.

SOLUTION: BUFF THE SHIP. WG should consider how significant the removal of invisible-firing negatively impacted the effectiveness/purpose of the ship (and recognize that what qualities remained have all been power-crept by now) and WG should consider the fact that their CUSTOMERS (i.e. those who actually pay for the game) spent money to buy what was an excellent premium ship at the time of purchase and that after purchase it has been turned into a lemon. It should be buffed so that it has a distinct purpose like it did before as a fast, mid-long range gun boat.

Edited by HolyWaterCow
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 5

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,711 posts
19,894 battles

She's fine and doesn't need a buff.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 6

[R-SKY]
Members
64 posts
17,177 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

1. Paying customers were screwed (unless you actually think invisible-firing wasn't why people bought it). It does nothing noteworthy now. It cost money buddy.

2. It's useless in ranked now. It's "fine" in random battles when you can sort of blend in and spam. In ranked, it doesn't serve any DD purpose well. To get the best out of it in Ranked, you'd have to play it like a support ship (one that does very little damage/supporting). Its concealment, inadequacy in close-quarters fighting (relatively slow rate of fire, slooow turret traverse, crap maneuverability), and its lousy torps are for spectator types who leech off their teammates.

3. I should have posted this first but YOU DIDN'T READ MY POST. I know because I posted it and immediately hit edit to change the spelling on one word. In those ~10 seconds, a notification that you posted popped up. I don't care if you're not interested in the topic or if you're just a lazy unthinking type who doesn't want to read but either way, don't respond.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
3,142 posts
584 battles
1 minute ago, HolyWaterCow said:

1. Paying customers were screwed (unless you actually think invisible-firing wasn't why people bought it). It does nothing noteworthy now. It cost money buddy.

2. It's useless in ranked now. It's "fine" in random battles when you can sort of blend in and spam. In ranked, it doesn't serve any DD purpose well. To get the best out of it in Ranked, you'd have to play it like a support ship (one that does very little damage/supporting). Its concealment, inadequacy in close-quarters fighting (relatively slow rate of fire, slooow turret traverse, crap maneuverability), and its lousy torps are for spectator types who leech off their teammates.

3. I should have posted this first but YOU DIDN'T READ MY POST. I know because I posted it and immediately hit edit to change the spelling on one word. In those ~10 seconds, a notification that you posted popped up. I don't care if you're not interested in the topic or if you're just a lazy unthinking type who doesn't want to read but either way, don't respond.

invisi-firing is gone for ALL... and FYI the KIEV was actually the first reason people wanted the BLY to add to a broken class back then...

Ranked?. [edited], I won 7 battles in it and lost one (not this account so before you go looking and shaming, relax)

and LERT doesn't need to read (NOR DO I) this thread to understand that the BLYSKA does not need a buff....
So calm down, take a step back, DONT RUSH INTO CAPS , and you will be ok... 
OH and the AP is still pretty good for a DD...

[USCC2]
Members
6,189 posts
45 minutes ago, Lert said:

^^This^^

@HolyWaterCowI am well aware that a while back (3+ years ago?), her selling point was stealth firing - so I'm not sure why a refund was not offered as was with other ships when some global changes came (Belfast and Kutz were offered a refund at some point I believe)?

However, I got her post the changes and find her to be a very capable/fun ship. Of course she would have been a nightmare pre OWSF, but to say she's obsolete is just wrong.

Edited by _WaveRider_

[-VT-]
Members
948 posts
27,045 battles

it got a slight buff but it was a buff that really didn't count for much(minor torp and gun angle adjustments whoopie!), I was hoping for a couple 100 meters of concealment added. Bringing it down to 6.6 or 6.5 would allow its strengths to shine.

Its still a average ship I like mine once you get AFT. But it could use something other than having cool camo to make it special.  I do feel for the original poster no one really address the ship he was talking about. They either said shut up kid (Arlo Guthrie reference) or its ok because other ships were effected too. Which is a classic one point is wrong so all your other concerns need not be even talked about (CNN debating 101 there). It is still not bad but being a premium I would not expect to need a 15 pt Capt. to make it average up until recently you could only grind the Capt. in the one ship.

Point is; WG why spend money when tech tree ships are better? You will get some because its cool tp have a Polish or Argentinian ship but you will ward off others from buying premiums by doing this. The pushing the new Russian cruisers for example for example no way in hell would I buy those Russian cruisers they will be port queens in less than a year. My main reason is the Bly and a few other premiums that are out there.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

So because the ship doesn't possess a broken mechanic anymore it needs to be buffed?

News flash.....there are many, many premium ships that people paid for that aren't as competitive as they once were.  It's the result of an ever-changing meta.  Ships will fall out of and (sometimes) back into favor over time.

Edited by Ace_04

[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,154 battles

Blyskawica is a good ship. The detection is pretty bad and could use a slight reduction if WG saw fit but otherwise it's decent. And didn't they just do a buff to it like faster gun reload or something?

• Cool 1

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,178 posts
4,376 battles

Honestly, this is what I get out of this thread:

"I'm Self Entitled and Believe that the Pixels I spent money on belong to me and aren't the intellectual property of the company that provided me a set of pixels on a permanent lease. Therefore any changes they make to it are breaking my self-entitled law and I feel they are wrong."

~Hunter

• Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[-VT-]
Members
948 posts
27,045 battles

So again what you saying is other ship are messed up too? Is that your argument really?

Don't want a broken mechanic just have it be more competitive out of the box. Drop the conceal a little and it will be fine.

[-VT-]
Members
948 posts
27,045 battles
1 minute ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Honestly, this is what I get out of this thread:

"I'm Self Entitled and Believe that the Pixels I spent money on belong to me and aren't the intellectual property of the company that provided me a set of pixels on a permanent lease. Therefore any changes they make to it are breaking my self-entitled law and I feel they are wrong."

~Hunter

Then you missed the point altogether. Nice quote though must have googled it.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
4,178 posts
4,376 battles
Just now, vikingno2 said:

Then you missed the point altogether. Nice quote though must have googled it.

No, I got the point, that's just his attitude with the post.

~Hunter

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

How many of the earliest premiums or special ships still play the same way due to the meta changing?

Sims

Tirpitz

Atlanta

Atago

Gremyashchy

Things change as the game evolves. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,711 posts
19,894 battles
17 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a slight concealment buff.

Maybe, but 'would be nice' and 'really needs' are two completely different things.

[HINON]
Members
13,731 posts

Kuro has some great videos on how well she works.

Edited by RipNuN2

[TWFT]
Members
1,406 posts
38,644 battles

The Blys is a port queen for me now.  I think that WG offered a refund, but I wanted to keep it because of it's history.

Sad that it is not really as competitive as it used to be, at least in the sense of the mechanics that it used when it was first out.  I feel that it dose need a small concealment buff, at least that might get it out of port every once in a while.

[WW2]
Members
470 posts
8,031 battles

To the op's point the ship is ok but the concealment is lacking. I got it in a Santa crate and barely play it. I prefer my hadia or z-39 due to much lower concealment. That .7 or 1.1 difference allows me to train my guns and fire the first salvo which can make a difference in a one on one battle.

Members
6,754 posts
21,151 battles
2 hours ago, HolyWaterCow said:

This is less an issue of being "power crept" and much more an issue of buying a ship that was completely undercut by a significant change to WOWS' gameplay itself (elimination of invisible firing). 

I remember the Zao could invisy/fire with like a 4km window.... good times.

If earlier ships stayed in the same power zone as when they were released no one would buy new ships or play new lines. The game would simply die. I feel your pain as I hate how many of my old ships take so much more effort to do well in these days. Grudgingly, I understand that it is a necessary evil.

[-VT-]
Members
948 posts
27,045 battles
1 hour ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

How many of the earliest premiums or special ships still play the same way due to the meta changing?

Sims

Tirpitz

Atlanta

Atago

Gremyashchy

Things change as the game evolves. 

Yet all still very good and will still get bought out in competitive play as a first choice. Two of these are on the majority of the reply when I asked in a different post what ships you plan on bringing to ranked.

• Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
673 posts
21,443 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Blyskawica is a good ship. The detection is pretty bad and could use a slight reduction if WG saw fit but otherwise it's decent. And didn't they just do a buff to it like faster gun reload or something?

Agree, would like to see a slight reduction in her detection range (6.4ish) but other than that she’s fine. 

• Cool 3

[-VT-]
Members
948 posts
27,045 battles
5 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

Agree, would like to see a slight reduction in her detection range (6.4ish) but other than that she’s fine. 

Completely agree 

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,912 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

I've literally had her for years. She was a great ship, though invisible firing was not unique to the ship, but at this point she is literally trash in ranked.

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
8,015 posts
3 hours ago, HolyWaterCow said:

Changes to the game can be expected but when there is a very significant change to the game that effectively renders a ship useless, there should be changes to the ship as well so it isn't rendered obsolete. This is especially true when it is a PREMIUM ship that people purchased for its now non-existent unique trait

Hood would like a word about that.