You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Abruzzio, Indi. Best picks for rank???

31 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts

I know there dark horse picks but these two ships got me to rank 9.  

Ues Indi is squish but you do it right the AP is murder and the radar for these small maps are a great combo.

Abruzzio has under 10km stealth interesting torps and the AP really works.  Add a heal and it works great.

I know they say dont but it's working.

Whats working for toy right now?

Edited by jags_domain

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

Scharnhorst. I know everyone is Sinop this, Sinop that, but my 36% WR with it is not good enough. I've got near 60% with the Scharnhorst. Maybe I'm just more used to it.

[RLGN]
Members
14,856 posts
26,403 battles

Whatever gets you wins.

As I said in another recent thread, a (very good,) player deliberately picked the much hated (old) T7 Pensacola and ranked out in it.

My first stab at ranked was in a Mahan, without modules, (brand new ship, forgot to install them.)

(edit)

(Season 2 iirc, about 4 years ago.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

Not sure why people speak so badly of Abruzzi. She is the tankiest T7 cruiser due to her armor scheme and heal, and still has at least workable values elsewhere. 

I'd just be worried about her in Ranked because Belfast exists, which is not really fair. Though a good Abruzzi player definitely will be able to deliver results.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Supertester
303 posts
12,841 battles

Just because a ship is not recommended doesn't mean you can't make them work. It means that you will likely perform better in a different ship given the same level of skill. 

All ships have their unique strengths and weakness that will affect their performance in different metas and against certain ships. For example, Indy is very effective at countering Belfasts and Fiji with her 10km radar and powerful AP. However, her poor HE DPM handicaps her when killing DDs. Her lack of firepower also hurts her vs. BBs and Indy will struggle to kill meta BBs like Sinop. Unfortunately, Sinop will likely be the most common BB in ranked which severely hurts Indy's performance in the long run. 

In one of the T9 Arms Race ranked season, I ranked out mainly using Yugumo in only 70 games. I don't pretend Yugumo is a good choice when pre-nerf Jutland, Kitakaze, and Black exists. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

In one of the T9 Arms Race ranked season, I ranked out mainly using Yugumo in only 70 games. I don't pretend Yugumo is a good choice when pre-nerf Jutland, Kitakaze, and Black exists. 

But I'm betting you went w/TRB instead of smoke. W/reload buffs for the main torps along w/the TRB I'm betting it was a monster too...not to mention out detecting all 3 of those other choices.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts
7 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Just because a ship is not recommended doesn't mean you can't make them work. It means that you will likely perform better in a different ship given the same level of skill. 

All ships have their unique strengths and weakness that will affect their performance in different metas and against certain ships. For example, Indy is very effective at countering Belfasts and Fiji with her 10km radar and powerful AP. However, her poor HE DPM handicaps her when killing DDs. Her lack of firepower also hurts her vs. BBs and Indy will struggle to kill meta BBs like Sinop. Unfortunately, Sinop will likely be the most common BB in ranked which severely hurts Indy's performance in the long run. 

I had several games with no DD ment at under 10 km stealth I could go undetected all game.

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
8 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

Scharnhorst. I know everyone is Sinop this, Sinop that, but my 36% WR with it is not good enough. I've got near 60% with the Scharnhorst. Maybe I'm just more used to it.

Keep in mind your Sinop days probably include being bottom tier 40-50% of the time, You aren't facing Izumo's and Jean Barts here.

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
7 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Not sure why people speak so badly of Abruzzi. She is the tankiest T7 cruiser due to her armor scheme and heal, and still has at least workable values elsewhere. 

I'd just be worried about her in Ranked because Belfast exists, which is not really fair. Though a good Abruzzi player definitely will be able to deliver results.

The issue with any cruiser is the map size. Many ships are detected in C from A. It's closer to a 1 cap game even though there are three caps. Proximity wise Cruiser play is difficult.

[NUWES]
Members
3,240 posts
11,474 battles
37 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

The issue with any cruiser is the map size. Many ships are detected in C from A. It's closer to a 1 cap game even though there are three caps. Proximity wise Cruiser play is difficult.

^This has been my experience so far. The maps are SOOOO small. The good news is Indy can cover almost the whole map with its radar, the bad news is it is difficult for any CA or CL to avoid BBs at those ranges. When you are spotted you are basically in the face of most BBs and are way too close to survive. 

[-1]
Members
746 posts
10,571 battles
44 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

^^^ That's what makes cruisers a subpar choice and Sinop so good.

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
9 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

^^^ That's what makes cruisers a subpar choice and Sinop so good.

I totally  agree. I just hate using OP ships. I find much greater satisfaction and frankly frustration in using tech tree, non OP, and non standard ships. 

My last game had 5 Sinops, 2 Belfasts and a Flint. Just seems cheezy to use them.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

I totally  agree. I just hate using OP ships. I find much greater satisfaction and frankly frustration in using tech tree, non OP, and non standard ships. 

Really?  I thought I was weird for thinking the same thing.  To that point, I even took New Orleans out for a spin in Ranked yesterday.

I also find great satisfaction in excelling in ships that others consider weak or mediocre.

[TIGRB]
Members
338 posts
1,555 battles
11 hours ago, jags_domain said:

I know there dark horse picks but these two ships got me to rank 9.  

Ues Indi is squish but you do it right the AP is murder and the radar for these small maps are a great combo.

Abruzzio has under 10km stealth interesting torps and the AP really works.  Add a heal and it works great.

I know they say dont but it's working.

Whats working for toy right now?

I have won 4 ranked games with Abruzzi. My Father ranked out last season with it and advised me to try it. I use it as a flanker and torp spammer. Works great for me, just don't sail in a straight line.:cat_paw:

Members
856 posts
6,166 battles
10 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Her shells are floaty and can't hit the broadside of a barn beyond 12km. So, while she has great detection, she has to get in really close to use those guns.  I played one battle with her in ranked. While I racked up a lot of dmg ,farming, I never felt like it was a ship that could be really impactful otherwise.

Gorizia with her better hydro and better guns is the far better choice. 

Edited by General_Lee_Miserable

[O7]
Supertester
303 posts
12,841 battles
9 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

But I'm betting you went w/TRB instead of smoke. W/reload buffs for the main torps along w/the TRB I'm betting it was a monster too...not to mention out detecting all 3 of those other choices.

Yugumo was hardly a monster. Killing DDs has the largest impact on the match and Yugumo is mediocre at it due to her poor gun firepower. My only useful advantages are better detection and gun ballistics. 
Torpedoes are simply not a reliable weapon even vs larger ships and TRB is completely inferior to smoke.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,139 posts
24,488 battles

https://na.wows-numbers.com/season/16,The-Sixteenth-Season/

Indianapolis is getting crushed, 48.84% WR, 35k damage which is in the middle.

Abruzzi technically is doing fine but the sample size, the amount of battles she is part of seems too small to give a good assessment.

This is Battleship Sinop Country.  Despite the hordes playing this ship, her statistical performance remains very high.

XwceYeS.jpg

The Top 5 WR% ships so far with 1% or higher popularity?  In this order:

59.06% WR / 1.9% popularity - Z-39 (not surprising, CSM1 access in Tier VII with Tier VIII DD HP is a big deal, as well as being stealthier than most of her peers this tier)

55.76% / 5.7% - Belfast / Winfast (SHOCKING SUCCESS, AMIRITE?)

55.67% / 4.4% - Atlanta

55.33% / 5.4% - Fiji

55.25% / 1% - Gadjah Madah

I also appreciate that most of the highest success ships are Premium Ships.  If it weren't for Sinop and Fiji, the Premium Ships would completely run away with the competition.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
1,093 posts
4,792 battles

I'd take the Fiji over any other Tier 7 cruiser atm

Mostly because I don't have Belfast, but also because of the really good stealth, the smoke, and the British AP. Not to mention the heal

For DDs, I take Vauquelin, and for BBs, if I had the Sinop, I would take it.

:SerB:

[WOLF3]
Members
28,139 posts
24,488 battles
2 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

I'd take the Fiji over any other Tier 7 cruiser atm

Mostly because I don't have Belfast, but also because of the really good stealth, the smoke, and the British AP. Not to mention the heal

For DDs, I take Vauquelin, and for BBs, if I had the Sinop, I would take it.

:SerB:

Fiji has been a very solid tech tree choice in Tier VII Ranked.  One of the few tech tree ships that can hang there with all the fancy Premiums.  Belfast is better, but Fiji isn't that far behind in performance.

I'm looking at the Ranked Stats for the current season and most of the WR% leaders are Premium Ships.  Fiji is one of the few tech tree to hang in there with the best.

• Cool 1

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Really?  I thought I was weird for thinking the same thing.  To that point, I even took New Orleans out for a spin in Ranked yesterday.

I also find great satisfaction in excelling in ships that others consider weak or mediocre.

Same here. Even with randoms.

159 games combining 3 kami sisters, Belfast, Giulio Cesare and Flint. Zero satisfaction playing a ship that is stronger than the others. It's also probably why I end up grinding so hard in ranked. Oh well.

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,684 posts
12,811 battles
10 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

^^^ This.

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Yugumo was hardly a monster. Killing DDs has the largest impact on the match and Yugumo is mediocre at it due to her poor gun firepower. My only useful advantages are better detection and gun ballistics. 
Torpedoes are simply not a reliable weapon even vs larger ships and TRB is completely inferior to smoke.

I'm surprised to hear that...I would have used the smoke also (I was 1 of the Kitikazis myself) but when I played that T9 Arms Race season it seemed most (not all but most) purple stat players in a Yugumo were announcing at the start of the battle that they had no smoke...& they usually terrorized w/the torps too.

I would have loved to take the extra torps option but am too potato & need my smoke to survive stupid plays :-(

[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts
2 hours ago, HeidiAngel said:

I have won 4 ranked games with Abruzzi. My Father ranked out last season with it and advised me to try it. I use it as a flanker and torp spammer. Works great for me, just don't sail in a straight line.:cat_paw:

Ranked out?