Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Liopleurodon6

IJN CA Captain Skills

14 comments in this topic

[-ZE-]
Members
90 posts
764 battles

I'm essentially done with the Myoko but plan to stick with it for awhile to play Ranked. I was just wondering what skills I should pick up with my current 12 point captain that I plan to carry onto the upper tier IJN CAs. My current setup is Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert, Concealment Expert. I was thinking of using those two extra points for either Adrenaline Rush or Last Stand. My rudder gets broken a lot, and it has gotten me killed a few times, so I was leaning towards LS but I've heard that this isn't as bad of an issue on some of the later IJN ships and that AR is super OP. However, I try to remain undamaged for most of the early-game so I can play a bit more aggressive in the late game, so I'm not really sure if it's beneficial to my play style. Although eating random citadels does seem to be a favorite pastime of mine. Input is greatly appreciated!

[NG-NL]
Members
6,247 posts
10,081 battles

How are you getting broken rudder that often to begin with? It's impossible unless everyone intentionally aims at it...or desync puts AP aimed at your citadel hitting stern, in which case yeah, tends to knock out the rudder.

AR is probably your best option. Just think 2 or skirmishes ahead within the battle so your HP doesn't pay the price for your getting distracted.

Members
1,578 posts
22,927 battles

Rudder loss stops being a real thing with Zao. If you plan on carrying the captain the whole way up and not reset his skills LS may want to be something you skip out on. You honestly have most of the basics covered. Once you get to T9 you will probably want either SI (Superintendent) or 3 point free to get it. AR is as strong as you can situationally take advantage of it. It can be super strong on some ships because you never have to reveal yourself or it can go to waste in other situations where being low health and firing is not the best idea. I am not saying do not take it, by any means, it is a good skill. I just wanted to frame it within the practical situations you may find yourself in.

Members
727 posts
9,964 battles

Myoko can lose its rudder to HE, but Mogami through Zao cannot.

Adrenaline Rush is the best 2 point skill in the game and it's worth taking on every ship.

Last Stand might be worth taking if you had a 19 point Myoko captain, but with 12 points your best bet is to take Adrenaline Rush.

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

IJN Cruisers don't really have that many useful captain skills and not many that are "essential". IFHE isn't good on 203mm guns, Demolition Expert is a gigantic waste of points against Tier 10 ships, if you're getting repeatedly hit by HE and set on fire you're probably dead from the direct damage so the anti-fire skills aren't worth taking.

A build like this will do fine. 

image.png.9022dc9c8f762cbf791b4967fcd35a22.png

[WOLF3]
Members
28,115 posts
24,463 battles

IJN CAs, or rather CAs in general aren't demanding on points.

10pts

PT or PM

AR

DE

CE

13pts:  SI in Tier 3 - Eventually SI becomes a bigger deal when Repair Party is accessible in the tech tree at Tier IX-X.  VIII if you have Premium Atago / ARP Takao

15pts:  EM in Tier 2 - IJN CAs tend to be on the sluggish side of turret traverse.  Improving this means less time wasted waiting on the turrets to line up.

[CVA16]
Members
5,641 posts
17,345 battles

I tend to take EM on ships with slow turrets like IJN CAs before AR. Personally I feel I miss more shots during the game due to turrets not getting/staying on target during maneuvers  or changing targets than I gain from AR. Probably just notice the slow turrets/shots missed more than I notice an increase in my ROF as I take damage.

[PVE]
Members
6,892 posts
22,643 battles
2 hours ago, Liopleurodon6 said:

I'm essentially done with the Myoko but plan to stick with it for awhile to play Ranked. I was just wondering what skills I should pick up with my current 12 point captain that I plan to carry onto the upper tier IJN CAs. My current setup is Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert, Concealment Expert. I was thinking of using those two extra points for either Adrenaline Rush or Last Stand. My rudder gets broken a lot, and it has gotten me killed a few times, so I was leaning towards LS but I've heard that this isn't as bad of an issue on some of the later IJN ships and that AR is super OP. However, I try to remain undamaged for most of the early-game so I can play a bit more aggressive in the late game, so I'm not really sure if it's beneficial to my play style. Although eating random citadels does seem to be a favorite pastime of mine. Input is greatly appreciated!

Mogami is your fork in the road of indecision because no other ship (other than maybe the IJN gunboat DDs) benefited more from the IFHE changes than Mogami w/the 15-155mm barrels w/IFHE.

The problem is it's a wasted skill on the 203mm guns on the higher tier ships (although if you have it on Mogami you are better off never upgrading to the 10-203mm guns on the Mogami).

If you have the ability (ECXP or doubloons if you have the cash to waste) to switch it out after you finish the Mogami IFHEs are best to put on the Mogami (& w/15 barrels you still start fires quite often despite the IFHE penalty).

But as for the 2 choices you mentioned AR definitely trumps LS for the higher tier IJN cruisers...in fact I believe that AR is a powerful enough skill that it should be built in to every ship in the game as it's very OP against new players that can't afford it.

In a 1 vs 1 scenario of 2 even skilled players the advantages of faster reload (on all barrels) automatically kicking in while each ship takes evenly comparable damage from the start is just a major advantage in pretty short order.

More powerful than BFT IMO because for only 2 commander points it's like adding BFT w/only 50% life lost & it can be used on ANY calber guns (not to mention torps & planes) not just lower caliber ones. At 1% life left it's like 2 (3 point) BFT skills added in...also on all weapons...not just the smaller ones & still for the same 2 points.

Very powerful 2 point skill...especially in the end game where it makes the most impact & can quite often be the difference between finishing off that last ship before it finishes you off.

[PVE]
Members
6,892 posts
22,643 battles
49 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I tend to take EM on ships with slow turrets like IJN CAs before AR. Personally I feel I miss more shots during the game due to turrets not getting/staying on target during maneuvers  or changing targets than I gain from AR. Probably just notice the slow turrets/shots missed more than I notice an increase in my ROF as I take damage.

Op already stated in his OP that he has EM already.

[BOTO]
Members
1,348 posts
16,482 battles
2 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

IJN Cruisers don't really have that many useful captain skills and not many that are "essential". IFHE isn't good on 203mm guns, Demolition Expert is a gigantic waste of points against Tier 10 ships, if you're getting repeatedly hit by HE and set on fire you're probably dead from the direct damage so the anti-fire skills aren't worth taking.

A build like this will do fine. 

image.png.9022dc9c8f762cbf791b4967fcd35a22.png

Going to have to disagree with SE over DE.  SE is pretty much a waste of 3 points on the vast majority of cruisers.  In all actuality I'd probably use those 3 points on EL and EM.  EL isn't that important but the IJN cruisers have really lousy turret traverse so EM is almost a must-have.   I'd also question the use of RL, that's 4 points for a skill that's not really needed either.  Swap those 4 points for DE and PM.  Here's my current setup for Zao:

zao_captain.JPG

[KIA]
Members
3,548 posts
15,589 battles

image.png.e40df74f1592947e8ffe25dcbafffa9c.png

This is my Zao commander but you can replace RPF for something else if you really want. SE is a decent option, DE is ok.

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles

I run 4 one point skills and only vigilance as my three point skill. Vigilance plus RL(RPF) basically provides me a permanent hydro.

Because I had one point left I used Incoming Fire alert. I can't tell you how many times that skill has saved me. Knowing big guns have been launched at me is very helpful. Many times Priority target will show how many may be looking at you. IFA lets you know if the hammer has been dropped.

[CVA16]
Members
5,641 posts
17,345 battles
3 hours ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Because I had one point left I used Incoming Fire alert.

I have never used that skill. Always figured it was just a time -to-die meter where you couldn't dodge effectively in most ships if you weren't already in a turn. Might have to try it out. Of course I would end up with the same problem I have taking PM on some ships vs PT. I forget that the ship I'm driving doesn't have PT and will sail blissfully on thinking how lucky I am nobody is targeting me:Smile_amazed:

Members
6,729 posts
21,129 battles
7 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I have never used that skill. Always figured it was just a time -to-die meter where you couldn't dodge effectively in most ships if you weren't already in a turn. Might have to try it out. Of course I would end up with the same problem I have taking PM on some ships vs PT. I forget that the ship I'm driving doesn't have PT and will sail blissfully on thinking how lucky I am nobody is targeting me:Smile_amazed:

It's an interesting option. Usually it means a big ship is firing at you and you better turn.

Sign in to follow this