Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
poopoofoofoo

Iowa Garbage

9 comments in this topic

Members
28 posts
3,369 battles

The Iowa class battleships are by far my most hated ships in the game. Even the Warspite, which I absolutely despise is more useful at its tier. The Iowas suffer from 3 major weaknesses that combined absolutely ruin its effectiveness.

1. Horrendous maneuverability- sure the 33 knot speed is alright (gets you into more trouble than its worth imo but I understand the value) but the rudder shift and especially turning circle are ungodly. While the stat card indicates a turning circle of 920 m, I wouldn't be surprised if it is over 1000 m. The acceleration and deceleration are also among the worst of any BB I have played.

2. Awful armor- The Iowa's main belt and citadel are by far the thinnest of any tier 9 BB, a full 50 mm behind the Izumo and 80 behind the Lion.

3. Enormous size- longest ship at its tier besides maybe some CVs.

When combined, these weaknesses make Iowas vulnerable to every ship class. Destroyers will have no trouble torpedoing the Iowas as they are huge and cannot react quick enough (rudder shift) or preemptively turn (awful turning circle). Cruisers can HE spam the Iowas for days as they can't get out of range fast enough by turning (horrific turning radius + rudder shift) or back away (awful acceleration and deceleration). Battleships will easily citadel you from surprising angles as your belt is so thin and you likely will have to give broadside at some point unless you'd rather be HE spammed to death bow tanking with only 6 guns firing. Aircraft carriers, if their aircraft survive the attack run, will have a field day with your enormous length. If only the turning circle was improved, from 920+ down to 800, the Iowas would probably be much more relevant and fun.

• Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,813 posts
17,021 battles

It’s not for everybody, just as with any other ship. We have a couple members in our clan that rock the Iowa. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,497 battles

Warspite is a good ship; especially after it got its turrets lubed a few years back.

It amuses me to occasionally bully unsuspecting lolibotes with a ship I’ve had since early 2016.

Too bad you don’t like it.

Iowa to me is nothing more than X -flake fodder.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[TBW]
Members
10,593 posts
18,167 battles

They actually are my best line, I haven't played them since I did the US BB line. That was probably 3 1/2 years ago or more.

[PVE]
Members
6,970 posts
22,742 battles
1 hour ago, poopoofoofoo said:

The Iowa class battleships are by far my most hated ships in the game. Even the Warspite, which I absolutely despise is more useful at its tier. The Iowas suffer from 3 major weaknesses that combined absolutely ruin its effectiveness.

1. Horrendous maneuverability- sure the 33 knot speed is alright (gets you into more trouble than its worth imo but I understand the value) but the rudder shift and especially turning circle are ungodly. While the stat card indicates a turning circle of 920 m, I wouldn't be surprised if it is over 1000 m. The acceleration and deceleration are also among the worst of any BB I have played.

2. Awful armor- The Iowa's main belt and citadel are by far the thinnest of any tier 9 BB, a full 50 mm behind the Izumo and 80 behind the Lion.

When combined, these weaknesses make Iowas vulnerable to every ship class. Destroyers will have no trouble torpedoing the Iowas as they are huge and cannot react quick enough (rudder shift) or preemptively turn (awful turning circle). Cruisers can HE spam the Iowas for days as they can't get out of range fast enough by turning (horrific turning radius + rudder shift) or back away (awful acceleration and deceleration). Battleships will easily citadel you from surprising angles as your belt is so thin and you likely will have to give broadside at some point unless you'd rather be HE spammed to death bow tanking with only 6 guns firing. Aircraft carriers, if their aircraft survive the attack run, will have a field day with your enormous length. If only the turning circle was improved, from 920+ down to 800, the Iowas would probably be much more relevant and fun.

T9s are generally the worst grind (w/the worst nerfs from the fully upgraded T8s until you grind out the mods) in any tech tree...they do make you pay for the T10s.

I can't personally comment about the Warspite as I don't have it but have heard more great things than bad things (except it's AA) about it.

Members
12 posts

Well , sorry to hear it's such a painful experience for you . It will get way better when you unlock Montana. Personally, for me Iowa was a far better experience than NC , simply because or the artillery plotting mod 2 , this is where it shines : precision and speed. 

As for maneuverability , it took me about 10 - 15 games to get used to it and at that time i did not had the C hull that improves it . For some players some ships are fine, for others not . I hope Montana will provide what you look for.

Edited by Silviu_Lazarescu

[KRAK]
Members
1,449 posts
15,804 battles

Try the FDG if you want pain and disappointment. Iowa is a better player in my opinion.

[UN1]
Members
1,284 posts
3,965 battles
On 5/20/2020 at 11:13 PM, poopoofoofoo said:

That's always been the Iowa's weakness; poor agility and armor.  Yes, it is a very large warship, but so are the other T9 battleships.

And even funnier 'cause that's what precisely got buffed back in Fall 2018; its ruddershift and heal.  I *just* finished leveling through it yesterday for the second time ('cause RB, yo!) and I'd rate the ship as passable, but not very fun.  Some games were definitely better than others, but overall the Iowa isn't a very enjoyable ship. 

22 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Try the FDG if you want pain and disappointment. Iowa is a better player in my opinion.

I just finished leveling the German line before the American line (both for RB's sake), and the FdG is a vastly superior ship in every way assuming you're playing both in a full survival build.  I'd actually rate the FdG as the strongest tech tree T9 BB now.

[KRAK]
Members
1,449 posts
15,804 battles
58 minutes ago, Ranari said:

That's always been the Iowa's weakness; poor agility and armor.  Yes, it is a very large warship, but so are the other T9 battleships.

And even funnier 'cause that's what precisely got buffed back in Fall 2018; its ruddershift and heal.  I *just* finished leveling through it yesterday for the second time ('cause RB, yo!) and I'd rate the ship as passable, but not very fun.  Some games were definitely better than others, but overall the Iowa isn't a very enjoyable ship. 

I just finished leveling the German line before the American line (both for RB's sake), and the FdG is a vastly superior ship in every way assuming you're playing both in a full survival build.  I'd actually rate the FdG as the strongest tech tree T9 BB now.

I agree with you. I have  B hull  FDG now, bust short range,406 guns, stock fire director and engine. So terrible detection, range, speed, and so so guns. On the PTS server I went all in with a 420 mm version, and could not believe those guns. Very powerful T9 BB, as you say. Iowa would have no chance in a one on one.

Sign in to follow this