Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Nordlaender

Can WG Please Use Numerical Comas?

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

223
[_HW_]
Members
484 posts
7,669 battles

Dear WG,

I have wanted to ask this for a long time, ever since the numbers required to complete a directive or mission kept getting... longer.

Can you please use comas (in English) or periods (auf Deutsch) when printing large (and small) numbers that contain more than three decimal points?

For example:   100000000000000000000   (this is not a number I am overly familiar with)

However, this is:  1,000,000,000,000  or 1.000.000.000.000  (these are numbers I understand)

Would it be possible for your printer to churn out some comas or periods in order to save our eyesight?

Thanks.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,209
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,096 posts
14,720 battles

Been asked for many times. Another option to add to yours is to simply break them up into groups of three. For example,

1 000 000 000 000

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
223
[_HW_]
Members
484 posts
7,669 battles
22 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Been asked for many times.

Oh god.  

Is there no hope?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,102
[POP]
Members
4,632 posts
12,280 battles

As Brushwolf said, it's been asked for many times. For most of the game's history, WG either tended to ignore it or point to localization issues (i.e. some countries use . to separate numbers and decimals and , to separate hundreds/thousands/millions/etc, and other countries switch them) as a reason why they wouldn't be able to implement it. Of course, that localization issue doesn't really make as much sense when nothing in the game missions would ever use decimals, but that's a different matter. And of course the fact that localization is (or could be) done on a regional basis rather than from the base game development studio, especially since the numbers are already displayed differently in the Chinese/Japanese/etc language localizations.

Recently, Hapa replied to one of the suggestions of just separating the numbers into groups of three with spaces (completely unambiguous as to a meaning, but could cause issues with spacing in missions that wouldn't be too hard to fix) saying it was something he was going to pass up to the developers and push for it to be implemented. It's still up to WG as always, but to my knowledge this is the first time we've gotten a positive confirmation from someone at WG that it's getting sent up the line rather than just saying 'no we can't/won't do it.'

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,209
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,096 posts
14,720 battles
11 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

As Brushwolf said, it's been asked for many times. For most of the game's history, WG either tended to ignore it or point to localization issues (i.e. some countries use . to separate numbers and decimals and , to separate hundreds/thousands/millions/etc, and other countries switch them) as a reason why they wouldn't be able to implement it. Of course, that localization issue doesn't really make as much sense when nothing in the game missions would ever use decimals, but that's a different matter. And of course the fact that localization is (or could be) done on a regional basis rather than from the base game development studio, especially since the numbers are already displayed differently in the Chinese/Japanese/etc language localizations.

Recently, Hapa replied to one of the suggestions of just separating the numbers into groups of three with spaces (completely unambiguous as to a meaning, but could cause issues with spacing in missions that wouldn't be too hard to fix) saying it was something he was going to pass up to the developers and push for it to be implemented. It's still up to WG as always, but to my knowledge this is the first time we've gotten a positive confirmation from someone at WG that it's getting sent up the line rather than just saying 'no we can't/won't do it.'

The argument that there are different systems really doesn't hold water as it is easy enough as an American to understand the European system and vice a versa for them to understand our system, it isn't rocket science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,102
[POP]
Members
4,632 posts
12,280 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The argument that there are different systems really doesn't hold water as it is easy enough as an American to understand the European system and vice a versa for them to understand our system, it isn't rocket science.

You know that, I know that. Most people probably know that. But it's also an easy excuse to pull out to explain why it hasn't been like that from the beginning or why they aren't/don't want to implement it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Think this has been asked since the game came out of closed beta. Pretty stupid that they continue to ignore something that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
223
[_HW_]
Members
484 posts
7,669 battles

OMG!!!!!

I think our wish has come true!  Check out these screenshots from the Test Server:

 

shot-20_05.22_10_41.59-0871.thumb.jpg.ebeff43c5d81c581a704e52e582e2d8f.jpgshot-20_05.22_09.41_05-0433.thumb.jpg.d07f94a01cf53565ecda38dd1b73d130.jpg

 

Now, admittedly, the second one could be interpreted as "Earn one 800 base XP", but I will settle for it anyway and just learn to read numbers differently when playing WoW.

Looks like someone finally came through for those of us who cannot read numbers like:  150000000000

Wow.  There is still hope after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,778
[WOLFG]
Members
10,477 posts
9,789 battles
10 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

OMG!!!!!

I think our wish has come true!  Check out these screenshots from the Test Server:

 

shot-20_05.22_10_41.59-0871.thumb.jpg.ebeff43c5d81c581a704e52e582e2d8f.jpg

image.jpeg.c9b8c260ca3be4e8d08e5d18f3d6d974.jpeg

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,115
[SOV]
Members
4,638 posts

Its amazing how many simple things WG could do to make the plauer base happy.

Putting the right planes on the right cv. Adding a comma,

Finaly added a mount all flag after 3 years.

Stop constantly changing the interface on the main screen.  We can figure out what button to press.

Admit that there is Russian bias so we can all move on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×