Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Ranked Recommendations - Season 16: Tier VII Cruisers

36 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,684 posts
12,898 battles

Looking for advice on cruisers for the new season of Ranked Battles?  I've got you covered.

• Cool 3

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
15,126 battles

I always find the INDY a great option.

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,898 battles
24 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Another player who thinks tier VII has a lot of good cruisers.  :Smile_great:

It does.  You can make a case for every single one in ranked... even Indianapolis.  I just think that Indy is too disadvantaged to make up for the 10km radar, which is her only real upside.

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,235 battles

indi is great for clapping belfast and flint as they are reliant on their smokes.

• Cool 1

Members
6,779 posts
21,196 battles
53 minutes ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Looking for advice on cruisers for the new season of Ranked Battles?  I've got you covered.

Great video, hard to argue any of your choices. Well done.

[-ICE-]
Members
420 posts

Finally had a good one with Helena.  I been tryin Gorzia.. pft its really is lacking everywhere. I saw Flint doing good damage and Fiji but I think its a BB dominated thing right now.

[SALVO]
Members
5,391 posts
4,595 battles
1 minute ago, CRZY_TRAIN said:

but I think its a BB dominated thing right now.

Please be so... my DDs are counting on that

[O7]
Supertester
310 posts
12,896 battles

Boise is a good cruiser in ranked as her heal makes her forgiving of mistakes while still outputting excellent DPM. 

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,700 posts
7,112 battles
22 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

indi is great for clapping belfast and flint as they are reliant on their smokes.

This.. Indi is basically the hard counter to smoked cruisers.  Fiji included...Her AP is just brutal on cruisers.     However... she is pretty much just a ticking time bomb in a BB heavy match..  Sooner or later someone finds your citadel no matter how your are angled. .   

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
16,000 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Hi, thanks for putting this video together. 

I think you are underselling the Fiji - it should definitely be at the top along with Belfast. They are both similar and different to play - befalst relying on fires to hurt BBs, whereas Fiji can struggle if BBs are now on, but late battle Fiji is very trying because she can heal up and thus take more risks, and yolo torp battleships if necessary. 

I disagree with your Italian cruiser recommendations. I think Algerie with its spaced armour and speed boost is a better long range flanker/HE farmer, and in a BB heavy meta fires are important to tax DCP and heal usage. But these ships, alongside Schors, requires a team to live long enough - and an enemy team to be passive enough - to give you time for you to farm damage. Generally, relying on your team is a great way to lose ranked battles; Belfast and Fiji are both more independent if your team and do more damage to destroyers which really helps win battles. 

Flint is going to be strong, but is held back by low HP. Boise if going to do better than Atlanta because of it’s heal - Atlanta’s Radar is super useful, but the platform it’s on is rubbish - similar to Indianapolis. 

I think, in ranked, cruisers with smoke>heal>radar>stealthy>damage>other gimmicks. Ranked is all about vision control and survivability - damage is something you build up over time, and dying loses battles even if you ‘did well before dying’. 

Imo, ofc. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

Members
6,779 posts
21,196 battles

Scratching Yorck off the list after one game. That 12.1 detection is brutal, to many Sinops with the blapability factor. Was scrambling to hug cover all game. 

Members
6,779 posts
21,196 battles

I love cruisers, but I would say after one game there are no good cruisers for this. BB's and DD's. All Cruisers are squishy here and don't hit hard enough to do any meaningful damage. 48 hits on a Sinop for 18k damage, both HE and AP, no fires. At that rate I may take all game to kill one assuming he repairs and never shoots back.

As and edit, Cruisers that can use torps... maybe. Cruisers with out torps.... on the shelf.

Edited by Joyous_Vibes

[-HMS-]
Members
8 posts
7,523 battles

Personally I like Argentine Cruiser, the fast rate of fire I used with it speed to hit and run against battle ships to sink them or weaken them so that someone else can.  And it's a Destroyer killer with its rapid fire. 

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,898 battles
35 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

Scratching Yorck off the list after one game. That 12.1 detection is brutal, to many Sinops with the blapability factor. Was scrambling to hug cover all game. 

That's fair.  You certainly can't push that ship up at full speed at the start of a match.  Other than that, she loves to harass from open water with room to flex her maneuverability (but she ain't all that fast).

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,898 battles
41 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I disagree with your Italian cruiser recommendations.

I figured they'd be controversial, but that's half the fun. ;)

Your other points are well-taken.  I love Fiji, I just don't think players who own both Fiji and Belfast are going to take her over Belfast.  She's not a bad pick by any stretch, though.  

• Cool 1

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,898 battles
22 minutes ago, Elespanol54 said:

Personally I like Argentine Cruiser, the fast rate of fire I used with it speed to hit and run against battle ships to sink them or weaken them so that someone else can.

Boise and Nueve de Julio certainly aren't bad picks.  There are a TON of good Tier VII cruisers.  Boise's handling bothers me; she's somewhat slow, and always feels crazy slow to turn to me.  But fifteen guns with a heal is fifteen guns and a heal. =D

Edited by SeaRaptor00
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Typically, I don't like playing OP ships in competitive such as Ranked, but this season I'm saying screw it and seeing how far Belfast takes me.

Members
1,625 posts
2 hours ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

thank you Searaptor, much appreciated.  I unfortunately, do not have the top DD that you recommended. On the second picks, I'm doing better with the Sims than with the Shiratsuyu, but I do not have 19 pts Captains on any of these. On the cruisers I'm doing the New Orleans, Fiji and Surrey.

Edited by loco_max
  • Cool 1

Members
6,779 posts
21,196 battles

Two words:

Sinop.

6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Typically, I don't like playing OP ships in competitive such as Ranked, but this season I'm saying screw it and seeing how far Belfast takes me.

It's ignorantly strong.

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,898 battles
12 minutes ago, loco_max said:

On the cruisers I'm doing the New Orleans, Fiji and Surrey.

I wish you luck with New Orleans; I can never make that ship work.  Fiji and Surrey are both VERY good picks.

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,898 battles
17 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Typically, I don't like playing OP ships in competitive such as Ranked

I typically don't either.  I'll probably be playing as much Abruzzi as I can, mixing in some destroyer along the way.

• Cool 1

[-ICE-]
Members
420 posts

My Helena has come alive... Im kinda happy to see it she been in the dumps for a long time but feels like her old self right now...   Man lots of flags as rewards very nice.. TY WoW

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Any cruiser that carries radar, or the Flint seem to be good options. Otherwise it’s all BBs and DDs in this season of Ranked.

Sign in to follow this