You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Meta_Man

Tier 7 ranked destroyer gradings from an experienced destroyer player

17 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
1,622 posts
17,232 battles

Hello captains, tier 7 ranked is upon us so I figured I'd try to help the newer players with some proven ideas of what wins , why  and what play style wins in each of these ships I've listed. These are my opinions and any ship can and will win. I always think of something Jingles said before " fair fights are for suckers ". The gist is play in a way that best suits your ship and put the reds at a disadvantage to your ships attributes. In my opinion there are a few  ways to best  influence the battle ( win games). First is capping through concealment , speed or use of hydro with smoke . Second I'll put a couple styles together , gunboat , harasser or (French) ambush killer . 

This list is in order of what I think their value is but any ship can win . 1. Haida with her specced 5.7km best in tier concealment , great dpm , great health , creeping smoke , 3.5km hydro . With this combo she is the best cap bully of the bunch . 2nd best cap bully goes to Z-39 with the monster hydro gimmick 5km when in use with the right captain  . She can push into cap smoke and if positioned right smoke and hydro the red dd right out of cap , her guns  (150mm) are better at hitting cruisers broadside at close to medium range with ap  , her torps are ok , her health is best in class before heals , I'm looking at you Skane . So Z-39 has best in class health and Hydro . 3. Is too close for me to call because they do great things in different ways. Skane uses attrition( heals) to fight then run away heal then comeback to finish the job . Vauquelin does massive damage in short bursts because of her gimmick (reload booster) , these two ships take more experience because to best use them to their full potential you need to maximise their gimmicks , Skane has fast low damage torps , Vauquelin has monster damage 18,400 fast reload torps . With Vauquelin speed/speedboost combo you can ambush ships and between monster torps and reload booster kill a ship fast . Last but not least are 2 ships from different nations but do the same jobs in different ways . Leningrad and Blyskawica , both are gunboats but Leningrad does more damage overall because of mm of her guns ifhe is effective with her. Blysk because of 120 mm guns are better suited for DE and just rely on fires , Blyskawica has better torps 8km vs Leningrads 6km. Remember any ship can and will win. The Japanese/British  dds at this tier I'm afraid are not upto the abilities of the ones I've talked about here . I know many love the Gadja Mada but I do not have her so I know she is tough but I would say she is somewhere in the middle of these destroyers I have graded. Not to brag because they are not the best stats ,but are wininng stats , so you get a feeling of that I know what I am talking about , Haida 197 games 53.81% , Z-39 29 games 58.62%  , Skane 7 games 100% , Vauquelin 14 games 64.29% , Leningrad 20 games 70% , Blyskawica 84 games 48.81% Happy hunting captains , See you at rank 1 .

Edited by Meta_Man
update stats
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,618 posts
20,816 battles
52 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Haida 197 games 53.81% , Z-39 29 games 58.62%  , Skane 7 games 100% , Vauquelin 14 games 64.29% , Leningrad 20 games 70% , Blyskawica 84 games 48.81% Happy hunting captains , See you at rank 1

Awesome, you've picked some very good ships here and ranked them as to your personal experience with them.......other folks may have a different perspective but this is a good starting point. 

31 minutes ago, Toss_a_plus_1_to_your_CV said:

Don't forget Yudachi if you want a "Challenge" :cap_haloween:

Yup she is a challenge, the odd thing for me is I don't have "great stats in her but she does seem to be a winning ship!

Yud.JPG

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,055 posts
3 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Yup she is a challenge, the odd thing for me is I don't have "great stats in her but she does seem to be a winning ship!

Yep, don't underestimate that ship class :).

shot-20.05.20_10.40.13-0425.jpg

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,622 posts
17,232 battles
38 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Yep, don't underestimate that ship class :).

shot-20.05.20_10.40.13-0425.jpg

Awesome game, I haven't got to play yet today... I'll post a screen shot of a game later today..... Like I said any ship wins, these are just my opinions that I have learned myself. People definitely have different styles 

[O7]
Supertester
310 posts
12,884 battles

I'd put Z-39 as being good but overrated. While she does have T8 level concealment, 20k HP, and 5km hydro, her HE DPM is by far the worst of all the DDs with no ability to improve it. To illustrate this problem, Z-39 has 70k HE DPM vs. Shiratsuyu's 84k HE DPM. You can push DDs away temporarily, but if they push back with your consumables down, you hope that 20k HP is enough to outlast your opponents before you tickle them to death. 

Skane has issues with fighting multiple ships as she struggles to disengage with slow speed and no smoke. Her guns are good, but require proper timing to avoid losing too much HP in gunfights, something the average player will struggle with. 

Vanquelin is either speed boost farming near max range or yolo MBRB a poor DD. Yoloing other DDs require a lot of skill to get the timing correct; otherwise it can back fire on you and throw the game. 

Shiratsuyu is a viable pick if players understand how to abuse 5.8km detection. Obviously not as good as Haida as Shira's guns are trash, but concealment alone can decide matchups as your allies (hopefully) make up the firepower difference. 

Gadjah Mada is also a good pick with 6.1km and excellent gun DPM. Shorter but more numerous smoke charges is better in this meta as DD smokes are usually for disengaging, not farming. 

Jervis is also good due to similar reasons to GM, except she has worse concealment in exchange for hydro. 

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,622 posts
17,232 battles
3 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

I'd put Z-39 as being good but overrated. While she does have T8 level concealment, 20k HP, and 5km hydro, her HE DPM is by far the worst of all the DDs with no ability to improve it. To illustrate this problem, Z-39 has 70k HE DPM vs. Shiratsuyu's 84k HE DPM. You can push DDs away temporarily, but if they push back with your consumables down, you hope that 20k HP is enough to outlast your opponents before you tickle them to death. 

Skane has issues with fighting multiple ships as she struggles to disengage with slow speed and no smoke. Her guns are good, but require proper timing to avoid losing too much HP in gunfights, something the average player will struggle with. 

Vanquelin is either speed boost farming near max range or yolo MBRB a poor DD. Yoloing other DDs require a lot of skill to get the timing correct; otherwise it can back fire on you and throw the game. 

Shiratsuyu is a viable pick if players understand how to abuse 5.8km detection. Obviously not as good as Haida as Shira's guns are trash, but concealment alone can decide matchups as your allies (hopefully) make up the firepower difference. 

Gadjah Mada is also a good pick with 6.1km and excellent gun DPM. Shorter but more numerous smoke charges is better in this meta as DD smokes are usually for disengaging, not farming. 

Jervis is also good due to similar reasons to GM, except she has worse concealment in exchange for hydro. 

I agree on some points but dds like the z39, Vauquelin, Skane are good like I said if you can fully use their gimmicks... I actually don't farm hardly in my Vauq, I use the reload booster to either punish a dd or hit cruisers with ap... Unless I get a BB on dcp... I just think some play differently, I was pointing out to new players try to use their lolibotes towards ther attributes.... I love the Skane and Vauquelin by the way... I'm used to using kidd, and other consumable ships so can play around them, happy hunting Captain 😎 

[META_]
Members
1,622 posts
17,232 battles

Ranked Currently 18 wins, 8 losses in my dds... Others are uuuggg, not my specialty. Lol.. 

Screenshot_20200522-110354.png

Screenshot_20200522-110259.png

Members
861 posts
5,902 battles

My Z has been absolutely fantastic. I haven’t been playing much outside of T8 and T10 this past year so dusting of the Z has been fun. The hydro has killed more than a few enemy DDs that pushed to aggressive or stuck around and tried to smoke. The Z is feels easy to use but then again I’m used to T10 French DDs and going balls to the wall with no smoke.

[META_]
Members
1,622 posts
17,232 battles
On 5/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, KnifeInUrNeck said:

My Z has been absolutely fantastic. I haven’t been playing much outside of T8 and T10 this past year so dusting of the Z has been fun. The hydro has killed more than a few enemy DDs that pushed to aggressive or stuck around and tried to smoke. The Z is feels easy to use but then again I’m used to T10 French DDs and going balls to the wall with no smoke.

I agree about the z... I love MI e as you can see.... But she's a ship that preys on mistakes..... Your dpm is horrible so you have to wait for mistakes or you lose... Her health is great.... Thank goodness we see many mistakes by red dds 😉

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

Mahan is strong.

Mahan suffers from gun arc and detection issues. Fighting a DD it can do. Finishing a DD when it starts wiggling away? That’s a tough one. Combine that with its sluggishness making it easy prey for the radar cruisers and it’s probably not the best meta choice. The one thing it does do is farm Sinops, but even then it doesn’t do it all that fast.

Blyska has been my biggest disappointment this season. The ship just cannot pull wins out, and I know it’s not just me playing it wrong. It’s inability to deal with Sinop and it’s detriment to the team in the 1 DD matchup just kills the ship. This season you need something that hits torps reliably, and you need something that spots the other DD before you get spotted. In a multiple DD meta the Blyska does mountains of work, but for every game of that there are DDs a plenty, there are two more games where your team evaporates wherever you aren’t, and it’s down to you do finish off 1-2 healthy BBs (read: The Sinop that won the game by deleting two of your ships earlier). At that point 6 torps and a dream isn’t going to cut it.

[KERMT]
Members
1,041 posts
On 5/21/2020 at 2:38 AM, Meta_Man said:

Hello captains, tier 7 ranked is upon us so I figured I'd try to help the newer players with some proven ideas of what wins , why  and what play style wins in each of these ships I've listed. These are my opinions and any ship can and will win. I always think of something Jingles said before " fair fights are for suckers ". The gist is play in a way that best suits your ship and put the reds at a disadvantage to your ships attributes. In my opinion there are a few  ways to best  influence the battle ( win games). First is capping through concealment , speed or use of hydro with smoke . Second I'll put a couple styles together , gunboat , harasser or (French) ambush killer . 

This list is in order of what I think their value is but any ship can win . 1. Haida with her specced 5.7km best in tier concealment , great dpm , great health , creeping smoke , 3.5km hydro . With this combo she is the best cap bully of the bunch . 2nd best cap bully goes to Z-39 with the monster hydro gimmick 5km when in use with the right captain  . She can push into cap smoke and if positioned right smoke and hydro the red dd right out of cap , her guns  (150mm) are better at hitting cruisers broadside at close to medium range with ap  , her torps are ok , her health is best in class before heals , I'm looking at you Skane . So Z-39 has best in class health and Hydro . 3. Is too close for me to call because they do great things in different ways. Skane uses attrition( heals) to fight then run away heal then comeback to finish the job . Vauquelin does massive damage in short bursts because of her gimmick (reload booster) , these two ships take more experience because to best use them to their full potential you need to maximise their gimmicks , Skane has fast low damage torps , Vauquelin has monster damage 18,400 fast reload torps . With Vauquelin speed/speedboost combo you can ambush ships and between monster torps and reload booster kill a ship fast . Last but not least are 2 ships from different nations but do the same jobs in different ways . Leningrad and Blyskawica , both are gunboats but Leningrad does more damage overall because of mm of her guns ifhe is effective with her. Blysk because of 120 mm guns are better suited for DE and just rely on fires , Blyskawica has better torps 8km vs Leningrads 6km. Remember any ship can and will win. The Japanese/British  dds at this tier I'm afraid are not upto the abilities of the ones I've talked about here . I know many love the Gadja Mada but I do not have her so I know she is tough but I would say she is somewhere in the middle of these destroyers I have graded. Not to brag because they are not the best stats ,but are wininng stats , so you get a feeling of that I know what I am talking about , Haida 197 games 53.81% , Z-39 29 games 58.62%  , Skane 7 games 100% , Vauquelin 14 games 64.29% , Leningrad 20 games 70% , Blyskawica 84 games 48.81% Happy hunting captains , See you at rank 1 .

Good work sir 07 
Help the New sailors out :) 
Happy battles to you :)

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,622 posts
17,232 battles
5 hours ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Good work sir 07 
Help the New sailors out :) 
Happy battles to you :)

Thanks Salvo, I just posted a video on the Z-39 yesterday in ranked (funny instructional video) and was asked to the same for the Mahan, so that will come out in the next day or so... If you have any DDs you want similar videos on let me know..... If you go to my profile and follow you can see what vids I put up.... Just starting out but want to help others and make fun videos, happy hunting Captain 😎