Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Salvo_Creative

Question on Cruisers

8 comments in this topic

[KERMT]
Members
1,041 posts

Why do all tier 9 cruisers have damage repair party?

Why do not all tier 8 cruisers have damage control party?

These questions keep me awake at night. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

I was hoping that when they moved the Cleveland to tier VIII that they would give it a heal. Alas, it was not meant to be. The Atago/Takao has one but it has a slow reload too. I guess it's all about "balance." Most tier VIII cruisers would be too overpowered with a heal if played in a tier VI-VIII match. In a tier VIII-X match, well, you get to be cannon fodder unless you have a good bag of tricks up your sleeve. I've seen good players in Baltimores and Clevelands dominate in a tier X match. 

• Cool 1

[KERMT]
Members
1,041 posts
35 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I was hoping that when they moved the Cleveland to tier VIII that they would give it a heal. Alas, it was not meant to be. The Atago/Takao has one but it has a slow reload too. I guess it's all about "balance." Most tier VIII cruisers would be too overpowered with a heal if played in a tier VI-VIII match. In a tier VIII-X match, well, you get to be cannon fodder unless you have a good bag of tricks up your sleeve. I've seen good players in Baltimores and Clevelands dominate in a tier X match. 

I agree, but that does leave them at that disadvantage when in tier 10. 

I saw something in the last few weeks and laughed. 

If the new game mode that was recently tested in ranked sprint [the one that gives the ships the buffs] I forget the name. 
When the first zone to capture is a heal, had a tier 8 ship been there, that right there would have been enough of a buff to give them that much more of a fighting chance. 

Hopefully when that game mode is introduced, it wont be exclusive to tier 9 & 10 and more like how the maps are chosen when a team is thrown together if that makes sense? 

However that scenario has to throw a ship heal as a starting zone consistently to achieve that low level buff.

Could you imagine Baltimore with a heal. Hot dog. Woulda bought Wichita if it had one. [I did know that Wichita is firing a different AP round too, so I was not thinking it was just a carbon copy of Baltimore] 

Some great changes coming up though :) 

Edit: Got a hypothetical scenario to throw around in your head. Could you imagine the game if they immediately implemented a change so that all surface ships could no longer fire further than a range of 22km. However this can be extended via spotting planes. 
For me I immediately think the dual Musashi CV strat would be nerf'd if I am not mistaken? 
 might stop the snipers..... doubt it but wishful thinking. 

Edited by Salvo_Creative
after thoughts

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
4 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Could you imagine Baltimore with a heal. Hot dog.

The Baltimore is a really good ship, sort of a mini Des Moines. I used to really like the tier VI Cleveland but when it moved to tier VIII, I found that the Baltimore was the better USN cruiser there, at least for me.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts
2 hours ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Because REASONS! Now go and enjoy your F2P game, serf!

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,993 battles
2 hours ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Generally, T9 cruisers were given a repair party to help them stay competitive at higher tiers wrt battleships. 

Until recently, <T8 cruisers never had a repair party except with very few exceptions (Atago, recently Prinz Eugen, UK CLs from T5, UK CAs).  However, as more T8s are introduced, there is pressure to help balance them out with gimmicks to help differentiate them from existing ships - otherwise heaps of 203mm armed cruisers would play and feel almost identical.  

[KIA-C]
Members
3,554 posts
15,632 battles

I don't really have an answer as why T9 cruiser have heals but I can tell you if you give a heal to all T8 cruisers, ship that are already very strong like Cleveland, Kutuzov, Baltimore and such will become even more OP than what they already are. While they will be slightly better against T9-T10, they'll become way too strong against T7 and T6.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,001 posts
10,436 battles
24 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I don't really have an answer as why T9 cruiser have heals but I can tell you if you give a heal to all T8 cruisers, ship that are already very strong like Cleveland, Kutuzov, Baltimore and such will become even more OP than what they already are. While they will be slightly better against T9-T10, they'll become way too strong against T7 and T6.

^This.

It should also be pointed out that it’s difficult to balance cruisers by “just adding a heal,” etc, because until recently when WG gave a ship a single heal they were in fact giving it three (SI and premium), which is huge. With the loss of premium consumables this issue has been lessened, but it’s still something that has to be considered.

I’ve also always felt that one of the reasons that T9 cruisers are often so mediocre and only slight improvements over their tier 8 predecessors is due to the presence of the heal.

Sign in to follow this