You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
clammboy

Is the only way to win to play in divisions?

33 comments in this topic

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles

Nine loses in a row it's brutal out there . I'm playing so bad pushing so hard losing so bad it's getting to me . Tonight lost 6 straight last night ended with 3 straight losses  . Look how bad these stats are for the last 2 weeks  . Solo random play is so hard I don' t what to do . I went through all of Noster videos on how to play good I watch Lord Zath  streams and guess what I play worse and when I play good I still loose . Is the only way to win to play in divisions ???

image.thumb.png.781877137dd050e7c2443bc61132c82d.pngimage.thumb.png.0f7bc5fdf88a0d94fe2a3858a243827f.png

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,561 battles

I will say that while Divisions help in improving your wins, do take a good look at decent players... They still have good Solo WR%

A Division however isn't an automatic win.  Decent to good players Divisioning up together works, but a Division of Potatoes doesn't.

Members
806 posts

Divisions can certainly help, but it really depends on how good the players in that division are. I've seen fail divs, absolutely terrible 3 person divs, and 3 person divs that got all the kills and swept the map. 

Personally, I don't like 3 person divs and would limit the number of players entering the match in a div to 4 per side (i.e. 33%).

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,796 posts
16,939 battles

We have been advocating divisions in our group for random mode for the very reason you mentioned.
Is it a guaranteed win? Nope

Do we do better working together in division with voice coms? You bet ya.

[SALVO]
Members
5,276 posts
4,523 battles

The thing is... divisions are probably funnier, which is the relevant factor for a game. If you have a pal, div up end enjoy the game whatever the outcome.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Divisions help in the sense that you can stack players to have 2 teammates that are guaranteed to play well. If you are not an above-average player, and neither are your div-mates, you won't be much more likely to win. 

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,217 battles

8ee41b83a81b439bad9d602c8a083746.pnghere are my solo stats im edging closer to 60% overall

you just need to do more to win games, you see my survival rate has been pretty good, keep yourself alive as long as possible you cant make an impact if you are dead. Play around cap circles but never commit yourself to a flank, if you are to carry games you need to be everywhere at the same time so putting yourself in the corner of the map is not an option for winning.

You need to play alot more carry ships, more DD and heavy cruisers as an inexperienced player learning to carry games then you can push yourself to try carrying in a battleship. You need to focus on killing enemy DD and controlling cap circles while keeping your eyes glued to the minimap to see where you need to be next.

Once you have learnt to master winning games then you can combine in damage farming and become a truly ascended gamer able to maintain high win rates and high PR in your ships.

• Cool 3

[O7]
Members
1,032 posts
4,927 battles
1 hour ago, clammboy said:

I went through all of Noster videos on how to play good

There is your problem.

Notser's advice is excellent if you want to lose games.

Everything he says, from taking IFHE on Des Moines, to damage controlling a single fire, are direct opposites to what you should be doing to improve.

• Cool 4

[R-F]
Members
333 posts
11,804 battles
2 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

There is your problem.

Notser's advice is excellent if you want to lose games.

I wouldn't immediately disregard everything Notser says as a newbie, I would take it with a grain of salt. The guy is a good enough player that watching him with the intent to improve imo will probably cause some improvement overall. 

Divisions do greatly affect winrate, my solo is like 61 and a half last I remember looking and my 3 man div is like 73ish. When evaluating players remember to look at their solo winrate factoring in what tiers they play to get a pretty easy picture of how much they alone impact the ability to win a match. 

[O_O]
Members
6,765 posts
16,194 battles
6 hours ago, clammboy said:

Is the only way to win to play in divisions ???

I am 100% solo player.  I'm no unicum, but I win enough to not be concerned about it.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles
4 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

8ee41b83a81b439bad9d602c8a083746.pnghere are my solo stats im edging closer to 60% overall

you just need to do more to win games, you see my survival rate has been pretty good, keep yourself alive as long as possible you cant make an impact if you are dead. Play around cap circles but never commit yourself to a flank, if you are to carry games you need to be everywhere at the same time so putting yourself in the corner of the map is not an option for winning.

You need to play alot more carry ships, more DD and heavy cruisers as an inexperienced player learning to carry games then you can push yourself to try carrying in a battleship. You need to focus on killing enemy DD and controlling cap circles while keeping your eyes glued to the minimap to see where you need to be next.

Once you have learnt to master winning games then you can combine in damage farming and become a truly ascended gamer able to maintain high win rates and high PR in your ships.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate your taking the time to try and help out . See I get conflicting advice because in Noster how to videos in a BB he said go to a flank if you have the advantage at that flank help push and try to create cross fires with enemy ships . If your at a disadvantage at the flank ship wise then defend that flank don’t let red team push right through . Or at least that’s how I interpreted it . I have been doing this to varying degrees of success because you never know what your team is going to do . 

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,217 battles
8 hours ago, clammboy said:

Thanks for the advice I appreciate your taking the time to try and help out . See I get conflicting advice because in Noster how to videos in a BB he said go to a flank if you have the advantage at that flank help push and try to create cross fires with enemy ships . If your at a disadvantage at the flank ship wise then defend that flank don’t let red team push right through . Or at least that’s how I interpreted it . I have been doing this to varying degrees of success because you never know what your team is going to do . 

in my opinion and the opinions of all the top players i know notser is not a great player to be taking advice from, his advice videos can be questionable.

He is assuming by the sounds of it that his team is capable of holding 2 other caps which you should never rely on random battle team mates, winning your games are entirely up to you to do everything.

This is just my opinion, you can listen to whoever you like.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,146 posts
5,659 battles

I am, apparently, an above average player.  I have between a 52 and 53% win rate.  I only play solo.

Yes, it is possible to win without being in a division.

As to CCs, all of them will give advice that can help a new player, even Jingles.  I prefer Flamu and LittleWhiteMouse for good advice.

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles

The key to winning as a division is your average WR for the whole division should be above 50%

otherwise you are just increasing your chances of losing even further

Members
406 posts
16,715 battles

Based on stats, it looks as though you're bad in... every ship? In particular, I look at your very very low average damage across the board.

I'm not even sure how that's possible. If you were just bad at aiming, I'd expect your destroyers to do better simply from some lucky torps, or spotting for peers. If you were bad at angling, I'd expect some tanky BBs to still carry some.

If I had to guess, you have a few problems, foremost being positioning. If you yolo at the start of every match rather than being aware of your surroundings (teammates and enemies), I can see every ship getting into bad positions and sunk. Your brawlly bbs of choice implies that sort of playstyle.

No amount of divisioning will help if you average 22k in a Hindy.

What I'd suggest is playing through the IJN dd line some. It's going to be very frustrating for you. You won't be able to brawl. You'll have some growing pains as you learn to do damage while not being seen - not being trapped and sunk. But I think that'd help your overall play. And I'd also suggest focusing on your damage more than your win rate (for now). Win rate depends far too much on the matchup and your teammates. The damage you deal is (mostly) the result of your own play.

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles

Survival rate is one of the most important things to focus on in order to get better at the game. You are dying very frequently for playing almost only battleships but doing minimal damage. For context, my solo survival rate in the last 55 solo games I've played is 56%.

Make sure your minimap shows your detection circle. You want to know when you are pushing too far and will die.

Overextending is probably the most fatal mistake battleship players make but don't realize. You commit too deep which means you will die, but it happens over the next few minutes and normally ends up feeling like "team didn't support me" or some variant.

Also take care to take good shots, not shooting immediately. Battleships require some patience to play well because you can't just take shots every time your guns reload.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles
1 hour ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

in my opinion and the opinions of all the top players i know notser is not a great player to be taking advice from, his advice videos can be questionable.

He is assuming by the sounds of it that his team is capable of holding 2 other caps which you should never rely on random battle team mates, winning your games are entirely up to you to do everything.

This is just my opinion, you can listen to whoever you like.

Yea thanks again I wasn't questioning you and to tell you the truth I wasn't  getting any more wins playing like he said . I appreciate and will try  what you have advised so you think if I'm in a BB to start the game I should hang more middle of the map so I can move to where needed or can do more damage easier ?

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,124 posts
16,400 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

Survival rate is one of the most important things to focus on in order to get better at the game. You are dying very frequently for playing almost only battleships but doing minimal damage. For context, my solo survival rate in the last 55 solo games I've played is 56%.

Make sure your minimap shows your detection circle. You want to know when you are pushing too far and will die.

Overextending is probably the most fatal mistake battleship players make but don't realize. You commit too deep which means you will die, but it happens over the next few minutes and normally ends up feeling like "team didn't support me" or some variant.

Also take care to take good shots, not shooting immediately. Battleships require some patience to play well because you can't just take shots every time your guns reload.

To further push this point, you can check your stats and see survived wins. When you realize how few games that you lose when you are alive it's really eye opening. 

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles
2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

To further push this point, you can check your stats and see survived wins. When you realize how few games that you lose when you are alive it's really eye opening. 

As long as you don't try to die often when winning so your division mates can farm more damage, that is.

:cap_cool:

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

My survival rate is really bad and I really struggle with patience I get bored quickly . I have a really hard time with the fine line between pushing in to much and dying or staying back and doing no damage .

I just cant seem to master that skill it's frustrating . I feel like I'm so close to being a decent player I know what I'm supposed to being doing but my timing is just bad and I seem to always make that one stupid mistake and bang I'm dead ..

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,581 battles
Just now, clammboy said:

My survival rate is really bad and I really struggle with patience I get bored quickly . I have a really hard time with the fine line between pushing in to much and dying or staying back and doing no damage .

I just cant seem to master that skill it's frustrating . I feel like I'm so close to being a decent player I know what I'm supposed to being doing but my timing is just bad and I seem to always make that one stupid mistake and bang I'm dead ..

Battleships are boring.

I play them when I don't want to think as much or pay as much attention.

Try playing cruisers perhaps?

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles

Thank again @enderland07 maybe I should try cruiser I have a couple of tier 5 cruiser would that be a good tier to start or should I go lower ?

Hope I get another chance to play with you guys again even though I was playing checkers and you two were playing chess . But I learned a good lesson about keeping my shut while watching you play .

Edited by clammboy

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles
25 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Thanks Ducky and yea you are right out of the 2370 games I survived I won 1948 of them that's crazy good win % 

Pretty telling that out of 8600 random games I only survived  2370 that's really bad . When I see the numbers like that instead of 26% you usually see in the stat tracker it kind of drives home how bad it is .

Hope we all get to play together again soon I will be better behaved learned my lesson .

Edited by clammboy

[GGWP]
Members
7,124 posts
16,400 battles
14 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Thanks Ducky and yea you are right out of the 2370 games I survived I won 1948 of them that's crazy good win % 

Pretty telling that out of 8600 random games I only survived  2370 that's really bad . When I see the numbers like that instead of 26% you usually see in the stat tracker it kind of drives home how bad it is .

Hope we all get to play together again soon I will be better behaved learned my lesson .

Are you kidding? I tanked my stats the last month. I had some choice words for some of my team mates during that stretch. It happens. You didn't cross the line or anything. I kind of figured we would be able to hold on for the win and we did. Just barely though. 

However that game doesn't even compare to this game from yesterday. This game here really went down to the wire: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/625887522?t=01h05m15s

Edited by Ducky_shot

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,873 posts
11,649 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Are you kidding? I tanked my stats the last month. I had some choice words for some of my team mates during that stretch. It happens. You didn't cross the line or anything. I kind of figured we would be able to hold on for the win and we did. Just barely though. 

However that game doesn't even compare to this game from yesterday. This game here really went down to the wire:

This wont open can you try again if you get a chance