You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tachyon_Pixel

can a mod delete this plz

30 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
5,257 posts
4,504 battles

Let the BB tank damage. Use islands or range to break contact if you get focused. Never be the first guy while in a cruiser

• Cool 1

Members
1,660 posts
11 minutes ago, Tachyon_Pixel said:

I'm currently grinding Yorck, a tier 7 German cruiser, and it's really frustrating when there is a nice, juicy destroyer to hit, yet 2/3 of the bot team shoots me instead. Everyone says "stay back and don't rush in", well, I do that, but it still seems like bots focus fire me instead of the broadsided cruiser next to me, the dd ahead of me, and the bb behind me. How do I not get bots to focus me? And no, smoke screens don't help as they do literally nothing and I still get focused, and yes I repair fires in a smoke screen and turn off my secondaries and AA.

Always seemed to me that the bots generally focus fire the lowest HP ship within range.  I try to not be that ship.

[RVNHQ]
Members
303 posts
9,866 battles

Bots tend to ignore BBs and DDs have smoke, which might as well be a Romulan cloaking device as bots never use consumables when advantageous.

Generally speaking, there are some similarities between playing a cruiser in Co-op and Random. Before every match begins you should think of an escape route or how to effectively use nearby cover. Bots will focus fire the first target spotted and or ones on low health.

[PSP]
Members
538 posts
5,040 battles

WASD like a man possessed. If you can keep roughly 10 km away from red BBs especially, it will give you more time to duck and weave.

[PSP]
Members
538 posts
5,040 battles
24 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Always seemed to me that the bots generally focus fire the lowest HP ship within range.  I try to not be that ship.

True - even if you are 18 km away.

Members
1,660 posts
2 minutes ago, MichiganEagle said:

True - even if you are 18 km away.

And DDs can give a false sense of security with their low health.  They probably aren't spotted yet!

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

too many times that BB two islands over will shoot me instead of targets closer, you know the one i ignored because he was two islands over ...  :Smile-angry:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
959 posts

Generally;

Bots will target dd-cruisers-bb in that order.  If the dd or a cruiser smokes up, you're next in line.

If you are low on health, you can become the preferred target.

BB can take focus if they are far ahead of you.

Just be aware of the other ships around you and what they are doing that drops focus.  That, and let others fire first.  Watch who the bots fire at and then let go.  

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[PSP]
Members
538 posts
5,040 battles

Another thought - dodging a red BB's incoming fire is entirely doable. If you are sailing away from it, you ought to be able to avoid almost all of its incoming shells with enough practice. Hit the "A" and "D" keys often ("W" and "S" can also help, but boost your speed up again ASAP), and watch those shells as they come in - then take appropriate measures.

[RLGN]
Members
14,878 posts
26,412 battles
1 hour ago, Ozium said:

too many times that BB two islands over will shoot me instead of targets closer, you know the one i ignored because he was two islands over ...  :Smile-angry:

Because WG has their bots target by a ‘priority targets’ algorithm, instead of a ‘what’s kicking me in the teeth?’ (aggro?) algorithm.

[CDOH]
Members
565 posts
7,449 battles

You need to play cruisers like a paranoid drug addict.  Everyone is out to get you cause your the squishy. So hide behind islands, kite, dodge.   You need to Rob people when opportunity presents itself.    Cruisers i think are the most difficult to play out of all the classes.  DDs can rely on stealth, speed or smoke. BBs can tank.  Cruisers Don't have the best Stealth not all have smoke and most cant tank. Since your new,  I would recommend try all classes and all nations.  Dont just focus on Cruiser play. The more classes you play the better cruiser crack head you will be.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[WOLFC]
Members
3,078 posts
15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Because WG has their bots target by a ‘priority targets’ algorithm, instead of a ‘what’s kicking me in the teeth?’ (aggro?) algorithm.

yep ... I've also found that, besides DDs, they like to focus squishy cruisers and radar ships.  all you can do in these cases is try to work from range, break line of sight, etc. and make yourself as undesirable as possible.

Edited by DocWalker

[PVE]
Members
6,912 posts
22,666 battles
3 hours ago, Tachyon_Pixel said:

I'm currently grinding Yorck, a tier 7 German cruiser, and it's really frustrating when there is a nice, juicy destroyer to hit, yet 2/3 of the bot team shoots me instead. Everyone says "stay back and don't rush in", well, I do that, but it still seems like bots focus fire me instead of the broadsided cruiser next to me, the dd ahead of me, and the bb behind me. How do I not get bots to focus me? And no, smoke screens don't help as they do literally nothing and I still get focused, and yes I repair fires in a smoke screen and turn off my secondaries and AA.

If you have gone undetected in a smoke screen you don't need to turn off AA or 2ndaries...let them rip...bots don't target undetected ships.

If no ships are spotted their guns default back to the 6 o'clock & 12 o'clock positions.

That doesn't mean that ordinance isn't heading towards you from before you went dark but no further ordinance heads towards you if you go dark (smoke or island cover).

You can even use islands to ambush w/your torps (as long as you don't switch back to main armaments after sending the torps...bots ALL have PT built in (unadvertised but they do) & can tell when the torps are on the way just by the PT toggle of an extra main battery aimed at them.

Islands are your waifu. If there are green bot DDs they will ALWAYS smoke as soon as spotted (same as any bot ship red or green) & you can use there smoke for cover but be aware of your gun bloom detection in smoke...it's listed in your detection stats & tells you how far out you can be detected if you fire your guns in a smoke screen (your detection line will bloom out that far as you fire your guns...if there is a red ship in that range you will be detected).

Always aim for an island at start & have the ability to duck either right of left around it to break contact w/the most ships possible then maneuver & wiggle to get shots on the others while dodging their incoming fire.

If you can take advantage of a smoke at start (while staying far enough back so gun bloom doesn't spot you) use that smoke to charge torp something but always give yourself an out (island to duck behind) after the torps are dropped.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,176 posts
24,541 battles

Bots generally go for lowest HP ships first.

At the start of a Co-op game, typically the BBs get spotted first and get shot at with initial volleys.  Whenever Cruisers open up, they just give themselves away.  "Here I am!  The lowest HP ship you can spot and shoot at!"

The bots stop shooting at the BBs and then focus on Cruisers or DDs that give themselves away.  I see my Priority Target counter go from 2-3 to 0, as the bots shift their focus fire against Cruisers.  It gets to a point where a Battleship can struggle to rack up Potential Damage in Co-op because the Cruisers are getting shot up:Smile_teethhappy:  The idea that Battleships "tank" in PVE is ridiculous because the bots ignore the highest HP ships unless there is literally nothing else for them to shoot at.

I remember playing my Yamato and I was parked in front of a bot Montana only 6km away.  I was showing full broadside.  I was stationary.  Yet I wasn't worried.  Why?  Because all the bots were shooting at a player Baltimore that was about 19km to the northeast corner of the map.

Cruiser players actually have to work hard in Co-op because they're getting shot at all the time.  They don't have the HP and Armor to take it long.

Destroyers and Battleships got it easy.  DDs technically should get shot at all the time because of their very low HP levels.  But they got Stealth and Smoke.  Battleships get ignored by the bots mostly, as well as having the best armor, best HP, and Repair Party access for every single BB in the game.

Carriers?  They suck in PVE, even worse than Cruisers.  They struggle to get damage in for the typically 3-5 minute Co-op games.  If a Player CV does better than you in Co-op, you sucked.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[-BUI-]
Members
2,354 posts
6,368 battles
4 hours ago, Tachyon_Pixel said:

Its not just about distance, its about who is "detected" and who is not detected.   Bots generally shoot at the closest visible target.   Learn what Concealment is, and how it works (there are videos online that explain).   A DD can be closer to the enemy than you and still not be detected.

Edited by Zenn3k

Members
4,478 posts
19,839 battles

Stay near a island to duck behind as much as possible. Once the bots start gunning you, breaking LoS with them is the only thing that will make them break off.

On the plus side; If you need to build up Potential Damage, move up front in a Cruiser and be the first to fire. You'll rack up more PD in your short lifespan than you can shake a stick at!  :Smile_playing:

• Funny 1

[LWA]
Members
1,186 posts

Don't be the first one spotted, the bots seem to go all out for the first one spotted

[--K--]
Supertester
1,325 posts
12,480 battles
6 hours ago, Tachyon_Pixel said:

You want to limit how many bots can shoot at you while still being aggressive if you want any xp in coop. Ideally you have bot destroyers who will smoke up the second they get spotted. Humans tend to wait longer which brings you too close to your smoke firing penalty. You can see what that value is in game by pressing “H”.
 Another important factor is to understand how bot cruisers work. They fire HE until you are on fire. So when you are fighting them you should be angled enough to fire all your guns at them, once you are on fire you can put it out immediately or point your ship straight at them so all that happens is them bouncing AP off your nose.

Bot battleships fire exactly where you are heading. They do not anticipate speed changes or turns like humans.So at range you can slow down and slightly turn to make them miss. As you close in you want to be at roughly 30 degrees so they will try to shoot your Broadside armor, when they fire you turn the nose in to try to bounce it with the belt armor.

The American and German heavy cruisers get 27mm bow armor that cannot be overmatched by 15 inch guns (Bismarck,Alsace, Jean Bart) which makes survival easier.

As long as you have a team of 5 humans I wouldn’t worry about surviving, coop is a race for damage and kills. 

Edited by GandalfTehGray

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
711 posts
6,748 battles

Use cover a lot  (actual rocks and mountains, not just smokescreens).  Assume that if you're in the open, the bots see you and will open fire when given the chance.  You might think you're only hitting a lone Akatsuki or Sims and then find out real quick that the Scharnhorst and Colorado on the other side are also looking your way too.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
611 posts
5,487 battles
5 hours ago, db4100 said:

Don't be the first one spotted, the bots seem to go all out for the first one spotted

10 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Let other ships fire first.

Two of the best pieces of advice. This can also be used to your advantage: purposely let someone else (bot or humie) become the bait. Depending on your team spawn, go 3/4 speed instead of full and let someone else get ahead of you. Let them become the party donut. But remember; if/when they die YOU may enjoy the attention next. Try to have some cover close by then. 

Stop by the PVE section. Much good help to be had there.

[META_]
Members
1,600 posts
17,130 battles

1 don't open water fire first 2 always position near islands to have an escape route if needed... 3stop shooting to disappear if needed..... Sounds like you're aggressive than you think you are... Happy hunting Captain 😎 

[-PVE-]
Members
283 posts
13,537 battles

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread, however, remember bot games are short 3-4 minutes. If you don't get into the action fast, you get very low XP.  This is why many rush in, kill as fast as they can and expect to die often. Some cruisers are better for this then others. So it depends on what ship you are sailing. This is also why my Moskva grind has been so hard. This ship is big and first spotted. Bots will stay with the first spotted ship until they see something they like better. So play it safe and be at the bottom of the pile or get aggressive, bow tank, your decision.