You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
D_S_K

Feeling a little discouraged :(

54 comments in this topic

[O-B-G]
Members
85 posts
10,849 battles

So I'm fairly new. Have about 1300 Random games under my belt and my W/R is not so hot.

Of course that is cause of me playing randoms right away after signing up and just getting clobbered all the time and not learning my lessons.

This past week i researched Yamato and what a BB she is and through some hard work this weekend I brought my WR up from 42% to 43.8%

However i've noticed a few things going on this past weekend and one incident confirmed it.

When the game starts there are always 2 or 3 players who don't move and some don't move for a minute or longer. This happens every pretty much every single game the last month or so.

I think I finally figured out why. I seen threads on players using mods to check players stats when the game starts. So I researched it a bit more and alot of players say they use these stats to determine who to help and who to abandon and leave to die.

This past weekend I noticed that when the game starts I try to stick with the group of ships that or on the same flank as me. We get close to a cap and one or two of them leave the flank and head for the opposite side of the map to leave the rest of us to get clobbered. I don't run from a fight if I can help it and I die alot too.

Last night I start a game and am east flank with a Benham, Bismark, Jean Bart and myself in Goliath. 5 red ships come to that flank and JB just up and leaves and goes back to the spawning area. He abandoned the flank and the 3 of us left got destroyed.

I asked in Chat. Hey JB why did you leave us? His reply. Cause your donkey's..

Well if that was not a kick in the pants for me. I am trying my best to get into the action and win some games and have some fun while I am at it and we have players who just up and abandon the weaker players such as myself.

Guess I take it a little personal as I've read soooooo many post's here about potato's and yolo and whatever else.

I've put my profile on private now so that these kinds of players can't read my stats. It sucks cause even tho I am not a great player yet, I am still proud of what i have accomplished especially in last few weeks where i have learned a great deal.

Ok Rant over.

Hope u all have fun killing red players ships  :)

• Cool 4

[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles

Power creep at high tiers... It happens... I can only recommend to adapt to the situation instead of questioning the tactic choices of other players...

Usually, that will take away your negative feelings..

Just learn the game and ignore the Stat obsessed players...

Edited by Navalpride33

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,579 battles
9 minutes ago, D_S_K said:

So I'm fairly new. Have about 1300 Random games under my belt and my W/R is not so hot.

Of course that is cause of me playing randoms right away after signing up and just getting clobbered all the time and not learning my lessons.

This past week i researched Yamato and what a BB she is and through some hard work this weekend I brought my WR up from 42% to 43.8%

However i've noticed a few things going on this past weekend and one incident confirmed it.

When the game starts there are always 2 or 3 players who don't move and some don't move for a minute or longer. This happens every pretty much every single game the last month or so.

I think I finally figured out why. I seen threads on players using mods to check players stats when the game starts. So I researched it a bit more and alot of players say they use these stats to determine who to help and who to abandon and leave to die.

This past weekend I noticed that when the game starts I try to stick with the group of ships that or on the same flank as me. We get close to a cap and one or two of them leave the flank and head for the opposite side of the map to leave the rest of us to get clobbered. I don't run from a fight if I can help it and I die alot too.

Last night I start a game and am east flank with a Benham, Bismark, Jean Bart and myself in Goliath. 5 red ships come to that flank and JB just up and leaves and goes back to the spawning area. He abandoned the flank and the 3 of us left got destroyed.

Well if that was not a kick in the pants for me. I am trying my best to get into the action and win some games and have some fun while I am at it and we have players who just up and abandon the weaker players such as myself.

Guess I take it a little personal as I've read soooooo many post's here about potato's and yolo and whatever else.

I've put my profile on private now so that these kinds of players can't read my stats. It sucks cause even tho I am not a great player yet, I am still proud of what i have accomplished especially in last few weeks where i have learned a great deal.

Ok Rant over.

Well, hiding your stats won't let people see them, but when I see someone with hidden stats, that tells me that they have bad stats and they realize that. I've known only one or 2 people with actually good stats hide them. So I typically treat a player with hidden stats the same as I would if they are deep red stats. So that means I won't expect anything out of them. I won't do anything that depends on them. I'm not going to set up in a forward farming position with a red or hidden stats dd. They might smoke and sit in it and not provide any spotting and the enemy team get into positions that makes my position untenable. Now, that doesn't mean I will berate them or anything like that. I'm just going to pattern my play based on what I expect to them to do. If I'm wrong, then that will mean they are exceeding my expectations. They have to start making ridiculous demands of me or the team for me to point out that they aren't good at the game and what they are suggesting would be detrimental.

So don't expect anything to change just because you've made your profile private. Just have fun and do your best and who cares what others say. If you want to get better, you'll seek out those that are able to help you when you want to.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 4

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Power creep at high tiers... It happens... I can only recommend to adapt to the situation instead of questioning the choices of other players...

Usually, that will take away your negative feelings..

Just learn the game and ignore the Stat obsessed players...

nothing to do with power creep...  

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Well, hiding your stats won't let people see them, but when I see someone with hidden stats, that tells me that they have bad stats and they realize that. I've known only one or 2 people with actually good stats hide them. So I typically treat a player with hidden stats the same as I would if they are deep red stats. So that means I won't expect anything out of them. I won't do anything that depends on them. I'm not going to set up in a forward farming position with a red or hidden stats dd. They might smoke and sit in it and not provide any spotting and the enemy team get into positions that makes my position untenable. Now, that doesn't mean I will berate them or anything like that. I'm just going to pattern my play based on what I expect to them to do. If I'm wrong, then that will mean they are exceeding my expectations. They have to start making ridiculous demands of me or the team for me to point out that they aren't good at the game and what they are suggesting would be detrimental.

So don't expect anything to change just because you've made your profile private. Just have fun and do your best and who cares what others say. If you want to get better, you'll seek out those that are able to help you when you want to.

all the more reason to keep hiding stats, reminds me time i did it again.

keep hiding stats

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

nothing to do with power creep...  

Very much so, its a high tier match he is referring to..

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

Very much so, its a high tier match he is referring to..

no it doesn't ... if both sides are suffering from the same powercreep how does that determine which side loses the match?

• Cool 2

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,551 posts

It's much more likely that the people who take a while to move, just have slow computers.  Specially old spinning drives instead of SSDs.  The player base is made up of an older bunch than most games and a lot of older computers.  They take a while to load in.

On the loading screen for a match there are empty circles next to each player.  The circle gets filled in when their client is ready.  Watch and you will see that in nearly every match, it dumps you in with 5 seconds left on the countdown, and 2-3 players who's computer still hasn't finished loading the match.

In most other games that would put them at a large disadvantage, starting late, but this game is so slow paced that while it isn't good, it isn't as big of a deal.

• Cool 4

[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles
Just now, SKurj said:

no it doesn't ... if both sides are suffering from the same powercreep how does that determine which side loses the match?

That is an assumption... Now I was referencing the tactic of his teammate the JB... Its power creep because, if high tier BBs fail to produce or maintain the BB adv... Its an automatic loss.

When one ship class has the power to determine the outcome of a match.. By just performing/existing or in this case "not" performing.. It will add to his frustration, understandably so...

Its still power creep.. There is no way he or his fleet had a chance at winning...At least by adapting to the situation, it would be less frustrating for him... Instead of asking in chat about the JB's intentions.

• Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,649 posts
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

That is an assumption... Now I was referencing the tactic of his teammate the JB... Its power creep because, if high tier BBs fail to produce or maintain the BB adv... Its an automatic loss.

When one ship class has the power to determine the outcome of a match.. By just performing/existing or in this case "not" performing.. It will add to his frustration, understandably so...

Its still power creep.. There is no way he or his fleet had a chance at winning...At least by adapting to the situation, it would be less frustrating for him... Instead of asking in chat about the JB's intentions.

this isn't power creep... you do not know what the team composition was...

teams are pulled from the same pool...  not saying there might not be some ships with advantages, but NO single player is on the receiving end of teams with more OPness than any other player.

If one player can pull out a 53% wr in the same environment, that 43% wr player is NOT losing due to powercreep as you are implying.

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
96 posts
9,224 battles

First off, congrats on raising your W/R; it takes time and patience (and a lot of practice), but you're on the right track :)

As some others above me have pointed out, tech issues are behind a lot of the reason people don't move at the start.  Some computers aren't able to load in before the battle starts, while other times the person gets disconnected and has to restart their game.  I'd say that the majority of times people don't move immediately is due to stuff like that, rather than anything else (it happens to me more often than i'd like to admit).

When it comes to people with MatchMaking Monitor, don't worry yourself over it.  At the end of the day, it's a tool and people use it in different ways.  Yes, some people can be toxic, but for most it's more like a supplement to the ship line-up screen.  Even for those who do use it, interpreting what the numbers mean can be tricky and most that use it know that stats don't tell the whole story.  

Just keep having fun and try to keep in mind that the majority of people are nice and want to have a good time as well; try not to let a couple meanies spoil the fun.  Also, keep in mind that it's Randoms, so people are gonna do things that might not make sense because they're tunnel-visioning, have playstyle differences, etc, so most of the time getting solid teamwork can be tricky and that doesn't really reflect on any one person xoxo

[META_]
Members
1,840 posts
19,126 battles
23 minutes ago, D_S_K said:

Ok Rant over.

First off congrats on the Yammy. Secondly if people leave (which they will) just don't push in too far.... If you still have a spotter ship ahead still go with them just not all the way to cap... You'll be playing the defensive flank (weaker flank) which is great in a slower monster like Yamato... You'll be fighting in reverse most the match and you'll eventually die but if you stay bow on and can last long enough to use ALL your heals you'll be surprised by watching your winrate move up... Yammy isn't an attacking ship anyway(lack of speed) but a heck of a defensive wall slowing down the reds... Usually it'll be fire that kills you... But if stay bow on and don't put out only one fire you'll last long enough for the other flank to win.. And you did YOUR job, happy hunting Captain 😎 

[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles
11 minutes ago, SKurj said:

f one player can pull out a 53% wr in the same environment, that 43% wr player is NOT losing due to powercreep as you are implying. 

Its not the player, its the ship... As i stated, at high tiers... BBs in the match who dont produce (or any other destructive reasons)  regardless of WR%, well result in an automatic loss...

Mainly because of power creep, I just mentioned the ship but its also other factors in play.

[GOB]
Members
3,047 posts
35 minutes ago, D_S_K said:

Interesting.

Thing is I think they are just making excuses.   I see people melt away as soon as they see the red ships ALL the time.  

Everybody is bold until their paint gets scratched.

I'm thinking they are checking stats to see who can CARRY them in a fight and don't want to be the one that other depend on.

Either way it's a real Chicken-poop way to look at any competition so it's on them.

About stats , best advice I got about them from my buddy who brought me here.

1) Hide your stats, it makes stat obsessed people go NUTS!

2) Stats are 100% Manipulable in multiple ways so again IGNORE them. re roll, seal clubbing etc ( google it ) 

3) The Only thing you should care about is how much you help your team and end up in the top 3 of that final screen.

People are basically looking for reasons to hate on people and pretending like Stats are some measuring stick that makes them a good person.   If you play this game in randoms at T8 and above you WILL lose A LOT even if you HARD carry.  If I got credit for being the top 2 on the losing team they would have to create a Mega super unicum grand master to their stats chart. As would MANY players.

Just play the game and have fun and enjoy the  IRL stats that you have earned. 

I am betting most stat shamers would never want to compare THOSE : )

Col Out

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,733 posts
22,783 battles
49 minutes ago, D_S_K said:

Ok Rant over.

You say you only have 1300 random battles and you own a Goliath and a Yammy? This is your problem and what is wrong with randoms in general. You do not belong in T10 with only 1300 battles.

• Cool 3

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,572 posts
13,027 battles
20 minutes ago, SKurj said:

this isn't power creep... you do not know what the team composition was...

teams are pulled from the same pool...  not saying there might not be some ships with advantages, but NO single player is on the receiving end of teams with more OPness than any other player.

If one player can pull out a 53% wr in the same environment, that 43% wr player is NOT losing due to powercreep as you are implying.

Do not argue with the mighty Navalpride33 he will eventually wear you down . I have tried I now stay on his good side and agree with everything he says .

• Funny 2

[FML]
Members
4,318 posts
16,490 battles
52 minutes ago, D_S_K said:

I think I finally figured out why.

I don't run from a fight if I can help it and I die alot too.

Hi, congrats on getting that winrate up by almost 2 percentage points in a weekend. Even with 1000 battles, that still a big achievement. 

Firstly, regarding late loading players, there are a range of reasons. Sometimes if it’s the first battle of the day I take a little longer to load up and the game could have been going for 15 seconds before I load in.  Or I could have been in queue for a while so was still reading forums. I personally hate Matchmaking Monitor as it tilts players into assuming that their team is rubbish before the battle starts. I prefer waiting until the battle is underway before learning that - mystery being the spice of life and all. 

Secondly, that mindset of taking a stand results in dying a lot is not good. That will hold your winrate back. The key thing is to decide how best to win given what your team is doing, and taking calculated risks. Don’t get me wrong - camping at the back of the map loses battles just as much as rushing in and dying at the start of the match. But experience has taught me some hard lessons that I’ll share with you below. This should help your WR continue to grow strongly. Good luck!

Ultimately, being able to read the maps and anticipate what the enemy is going to do is very challenging for new players - it will simply come with experience.  

Still, there are a few key points that you can apply early on that can hurry up this learning process: 

• Recognise whether you are on the 'strong flank' or the 'weak flank'.  In almost all WoWS battles, your team will split up unevenly - about 1/3 will go one way (lets say towards Capture Point A) and 2/3 will go the other way (lets say to Capture Point C).  Within the first minute of the battle, see if you can work out if you are on the strong of the weak side of your team.  
  • Similarly, recognise whether the enemy in front of you is either strong or weak.  Just as your team broke up unevenly, so did the enemy team. 
    • Also, in addition to absolute numbers, pay attention to their composition including type and tier - for example, are all their high tier battleships on one side, but with no destroyer or cruiser support? This could be a delicious hunting ground if you are a destroyer, and your grave if you are a bottom-tier battleship. 
    • This is where 'spotting' the enemy team to see where they are early on is very important - this is typically the job of destroyers and aircraft carriers.  But a destroyer who gets good spotting in early is at extreme risk of being killed by the enemy team.  Keeping your destroyers alive to late battle is far, far stronger and more important than rushing in at the start - so you need to be close enough to give them supporting fire but not expose yourself to too much return fire.  Its a delicate balancing act.  
  • IF you are on the strong flank and you are facing the enemy's weak flank, and you have an interest in winning, then you have an obligation to push your flank to defeat the enemy on your side of the map - before the enemy can wipe out your teammates on the far side of the map.  Once you have defeated the enemy locally, mid-battle move towards the centre of the map to support your team on the far side of the map - try to shoot at the enemy from the side and rear.  
    • If you are going to do something aggressive, like push a flank, I've always found announcing what you are going to do in team chat (green - not the white global chat!) about 30 seconds to a minute in advance can help garner some support.  Not always, though, and relying on your team to perform critical tasks as always a hiding to nothing (see LittleWhiteMouse's guide on how to control your winrate for further guidance). 
  • IF you are on the weak flank and you are facing the enemy's strong flank, then DO NOT PUSH the enemy - they will focus fire you and melt you down quickly.  Instead, you should try to turn away and 'kite' them (see some later posts in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide for a longer description on kiting the enemy).  
    • Your primary job is to keep the main enemy force occupied and to slow them down so that you buy time for your strong flank to defeat the enemy on the far side of the map, then they can come and help you out late battle.  This can be hard to do and takes a lot of practice.  Also, I've found letting your team - politely - know in chat that the enemy is strong on your side of the map and they should immediately push harder on the far flank can help.  
  • IF you and the enemy are evenly matched - whether strong/strong or weak/weak, the outcome of the battle is usually determined through personal skill of the players involved. 
  • Regardless of the situation you are in, there are important things you can do to help your side win: 
    • Shoot weakened ships until they are killed - an enemy on 1% health still shoots back with 100% firepower, can spot you and your team for their teammates to shoot you, and each enemy ship alive is worth points that could result in their victory even as the fighting rages on. 
    • Focus fire - if your teammates are shooting an enemy ship, then you should shoot at it too even if it doesnt present the best target for you.  This is to knock out as many enemy ships as fast as possible, which preserves your own team's HP for later (when it is more important) and can have a psychological impact on the enemy team, who may turn defensive instead of pushing you.  
    • Always shoot at a spotted enemy destroyer - these stealthy ships can run the entire battle undetected but have few hitpoints; shoot at them so they are more concerned about their own survival rather than lining up you or your teammate as their next victim.  
    • Never be alone - enemy carriers and destroyers (in particular) see a lonely enemy ship as simply food.  Even the mightiest battleship alone will still die surprisingly quickly.  This is a team game, so sticking together and working as part of a team is most likely to result in success. 
    • Controlled aggression is the key to winning this game - getting the balance right between taking risks, and when to hold your fire to: get out of the hot spotlight and heal up; remain undetected and slip behind enemy lines; or wait until the enemy is committed to a turn before shooting at an exposedbroadside to get maximum damage. Camping at the back loses battles.  Rushing into the middle of the map at the start of battles with no exit plan (particularly as a cruiser) gets you killed and loses battles just the same.
      • On that note, always having an exit plan ready to go before you start shooting at a new enemy is a really helpful way to rapidly build map awareness - typically this involves deciding which island to turn behind to keep you safe from enemy fire, but could mean you need to start turning your guns around before you start firing.  Planning ahead saves lives!  

Finally, its really important to recognise that losses will happen and to demonstrate resilience when confronted by defeat. 

• In PVP, it is typical for players to lose 50% of their matches. 
  • Losing steaks are deeply frustrating but they really do happen. 
  • Even the very best of players, with vast experience, fully equipped ships and highly trained captains, divisioned up with 2 other players of similar high calibre, stilllose over 30% of the time. 

Before rushing into the next battle, think about what you pesonally could have done differently or better to not die as early, or not lose that battle - remember, your error could have been 5 minutes before you actually were sunk.  WoWS is more like a game of chess than a FPS.  

Good luck!

• Cool 1

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,341 battles
59 minutes ago, D_S_K said:

It took me 5700 games to reach 50% win rate, so don't feel bad. 

[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles
3 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Do not argue with the mighty Navalpride33 he will eventually wear you down . I have tried I now stay on his good side and agree with everything he says .

Clamm the striking part  of this^^^ was... I dont remember showing you my bad side :Smile_veryhappy:. I dont even have a bad side on the forums (according to me)...

[DJL]
Members
3,354 posts
19,298 battles

First of all, you don't abandon your teammates for any reason other than your very low in HP and you need to run and hide until repairs are done. The JB was a bad player and what is wrong with the game. He looked at the Matchmaker monitor stats and decided to take run to the other side where he thought he had a better chance at not dying. By doing so he guaranteed the others he left behind would be outnumbered and destroyed, therefore setting his own team up for a fail. 

Anyone with enough experience knows that the main objective is to take as many of the enemy's guns out f the battle early to get the advantage. JB gave the enemy just that.

I always stick with my flank UNLESS the only DD with us decides to take off and leave us without a spotter and vulnerable to enemy torps.   If I spawn in the middle I look at the mini map and always join the side with less ships. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,572 posts
13,027 battles

1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Clamm the striking part  of this^^^ was... I dont remember showing you my bad side :Smile_veryhappy:. I dont even have a bad side on the forums (according to me)...

No you don't have a bad side never say you being rude . But your a man of convection you stick to your guns there's no changing your mind once it's set . Plus I like having fun with you you don't get upset .

[DOG]
Members
1,322 posts
13,972 battles
10 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

You say you only have 1300 random battles and you own a Goliath and a Yammy? This is your problem and what is wrong with randoms in general. You do not belong in T10 with only 1300 battles.

:Smile_great:This.  I did the same thing OP did when I started.  I was not a wallet warrior, but I started grinding a couple of lines and moved up quicker than I should have.  And then I started grinding a whole lot of different lines at the same time, so didn't get really good with any particular ship.  OP, figure out which class of ships you like, and which nation, and then play that until it gets monotonous.  Then move up when you grind each tier without using free XP (except maybe to get upgrades on a new ship to avoid the stock grind).  At that pace, you should get enough experience in each tier to prepare you for the next.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,572 posts
13,027 battles
1 minute ago, zubalkabir said:

:Smile_great:This.  I did the same thing OP did when I started.  I was not a wallet warrior, but I started grinding a couple of lines and moved up quicker than I should have.  And then I started grinding a whole lot of different lines at the same time, so didn't get really good with any particular ship.  OP, figure out which class of ships you like, and which nation, and then play that until it gets monotonous.  Then move up when you grind each tier without using free XP (except maybe to get upgrades on a new ship to avoid the stock grind).  At that pace, you should get enough experience in each tier to prepare you for the next.

I'm guilty of this also!!!!!  I buried my win rate with such bad play at such high tiers so early that its still only 47% after 8700 random games . Don't do the same slow down 1300 games in play tier 6 and 7 enjoy the game beat up on some players before you move up .

[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles
7 minutes ago, clammboy said:

But your a man of convection you stick to your guns there's no changing your mind once it's set . Plus I like having fun with you you don't get upset .

Can this be viewed as daring people to use evidence instead of disagreeing just to disagree because its me? :Smile_teethhappy:

Now I may not be totally innocent, I do have some conspiracies and distorted views... But their under lock and key :Smile_playing: Mostly

Members
7,122 posts
23,392 battles
1 hour ago, D_S_K said:

Ok Rant over.

Don't ever hide your stats, no matter how bad they are. Ask for help. Most here will break their back to help you. Ask the most detailed or seemingly silliest of questions. Ask anything and everything. The people that normally get abused are those that think they know but don't. If I know someone wants help and will except it I will spend all day trying to help. Normally they don't and I get chat banned. But that is another story.

Ask and ask some more.

• Cool 1