Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Karstodes

Ship suggestion: HMS Charybdis

4 comments in this topic

[PISD]
Members
1,539 posts
5,736 battles

HMS_Charybdis_1943_IWM_FL_5201.jpg.6cca966c169af296d6ac2fa1f79a2200.jpg

bb2b9ee8747b044bf4ab762174f8574c.thumb.png.6b201d2076d7e9549b1babdfa4d578c3.png

A dido light cruiser, this ship had the quirk of having 4x2 4.5'' instead of the 5".23 of the standard Dido.  

Tier 7 British Light Cruiser

HP : 28 200 : a little bit more than the Atlanta due to the higher displacement of the Dido class.

Armor:

Papier-maché

Fire power:

113 mm/45 RP 41 Mk VI4 х 2 pcs.
Rate of Fire23 shots/min.  (the handling of the ammunition was quicker in a cruiser made for heavier shell than in destroyers).
Reload Time2.8 sec.
Rotation Speed25 deg./sec.
180 Degree Turn Time7.2 sec.
Firing Range11.12 km. (like the Atlanta)
Maximum Dispersion110 m.
HE Shell113 mm HE 5crh 
Maximum HE Shell Damage1,700 
Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell%
Initial HE Shell Velocity746 m./s.
HE Shell Weight24.95 kg.
AP Shell113 mm SAP 55 lb 
Maximum AP Shell Damage2,100 
Initial AP Shell Velocity746 m./s.

AP Shell Weight 25 kg

Torpedo (like the Fiji)

533 mm TR Mk IV2 х 3 pcs.
Rate of Fire0.83 shots/min.
Reload Time72 sec.
Rotation Speed25 deg./sec.
180 Degree Turn Time7.2 sec.
Torpedo533 mm Mk IX 
Maximum Damage15,433 
Torpedo Speed61 knot
Torpedo Range8.01 km

AA defense: overall a good AA for that tier, not as good as Atlanta.

113 mm/45 RP 41 Mk VI4 х 2 pcs.
. . . Average Damage per Second53.4 
. . . Firing Range5.01 km.
20 mm Oerlikon Mk IV10 х 1 pcs.
. . . Average Damage per Second10.8 

. . . Firing Range2.01 km

20 mm Oerlikon Mk V6 х 2 pcs.
. . . Average Damage per Second61 
. . . Firing Range2.01 km.

maneuverability (a little bit slower than the Atlanta, but a slightly better turn radius  and the RN cruiser acceleration for turn)

Maximum Speed 32.25 knot

Turning Circle Radius 600 m.

Rudder Shift Time 8.4 sec

Concealment (slightly better than the Atlanta):

Surface Detectability Range10.78 km.

Air Detectability Range 6.44 km

Consumable:

-Tier 7 British CL heal

-Tier 7 British CL smoke

-Standard Hydro or DFAA

-Standard Repair party.

Overall it would be a tier 7 Daka daka ships, but that would use AP of low caliber as its main ammo with good AA. The question about ''Why her before Sirius and Dido?'' will come for sure. The answer is simple: why Dido and/ or Sirius are still not in the game? Also, WG seems to plan to put Sirus as a tier 6, but I do think that this class would fit well at tier 7 and, with the use of Daring gun, it becomes somewhat easy to do (an argument about giving it radar and bumping it to tier 8 could even be made, but I do not think that ships with Radar and Smoke are a good idea). 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,753 posts
15,303 battles

I'd like to see Charybdis, though your interpretation of her is a bit unlikely in some areas -

• HP should be lower than Atlanta, Charybdis was 7,000t full load displacement, Atlanta was 8,100. Charybdis should have similar HP to Huanghe at about 22,700
  • The armor is also Huanghe-ish, as Huanghe was an Arethusa and the Arethusa and the Dido similar hull designs, 57mm belt over machinery
  • The guns are 4.5in, but they're the Mk. I gun in the Mk. III mounting and can probably do about 12 RPM, not the 24 of the Daring with the Mk. V gun on Mk. VII mounting. They might get up to Jutland level RPM but even that is a stretch
  • As AA guns they're probably most like the mountings on the British carriers, not Daring
  • Concealment on the plus side could be very good, low profile ship, based on Huanghe - 9.5 base might not be unrealistic
  • I don't really see her as a T7 candidate, being too deficient in firepower and survivability despite the smoke. Fiji fires slower, but has 50% more guns, better guns, better armor, almost 10k more HP,  repair and a smoke too

[PISD]
Members
1,539 posts
5,736 battles
22 minutes ago, mofton said:

The guns are 4.5in, but they're the Mk. I gun in the Mk. III mounting and can probably do about 12 RPM, not the 24 of the Daring with the Mk. V gun on Mk. VII mounting. They might get up to Jutland level RPM but even that is a stretch

From what I get, the 4.5in was recorder to reach 18 round per minute in the Mk III mounting. Which at 18 rpm would crank her total dpm at 302 400, which would be more than the Fiji (297 600). And she would retain the HE possibility which is always a good option against angled ships.

25 minutes ago, mofton said:

HP should be lower than Atlanta, Charybdis was 7,000t full load displacement, Atlanta was 8,100. Charybdis should have similar HP to Huanghe at about 22,700

Good point, went with the standard Dido for the displacement.

28 minutes ago, mofton said:

As AA guns they're probably most like the mountings on the British carriers, not Daring

Trusting wiki, they are the exact same gun than ark royal:

113 mm/45 Mk III UD8 х 2 pcs.

. . . Average Damage per Second71.2 

. . . Firing Range5.01 km

But since it is a tier higher, and it is it's main gun and not some secondary, I guess the damage per minute per gun would be higher than on Ark Royal.

31 minutes ago, mofton said:

I don't really see her as a T7 candidate, being too deficient in firepower and survivability despite the smoke. Fiji fires slower, but has 50% more guns, better guns, better armor, almost 10k more HP,  repair and a smoke too

I know that chances are she would not be tier 7 (if WOWS even put the County Class heavy cruiser at tier 6, it's hard to think that she would fit there). But the thing is, they already have Sirius at tier 6 somewhere in their boxes, and even a squishy CL can be playable with a good smoke (Smolensk kinda prove it). And she could even get some 10km torp in theory (which would make her able to stealth torp, even if her 2x3 is not that suited for it).

All in all, she would be a nice addition to the game. After either Dido or Sirius.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,753 posts
15,303 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

From what I get, the 4.5in was recorder to reach 18 round per minute in the Mk III mounting. Which at 18 rpm would crank her total dpm at 302 400, which would be more than the Fiji (297 600). And she would retain the HE possibility which is always a good option against angled ships. 

It might, though 12 is listed as a more normal figure here:  http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_45-45_mk1.php

The Ark Royal does have the mounting as a secondary, getting 12 RPM, 1,600 HE damage and 7% fire chance. You have half the mounts so 35 DPS in the long range, for whatever that's worth. If you use 12 RPM that's 152,000 DPM, if you use 18 that's 230,400. The Atlanta at T7 has 302,400 for comparison.

I think squeezing this tiny, undergunned ship into T7 is a bridge too far, no matter how you massage it. There's no problem having her at T6 alongside the Dido (if it comes there), or even down at T5.

Sign in to follow this