Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Steamrolls

13 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
746 posts
10,588 battles

Do you know if there is a tool/website that tracks the proportion of matches that end up as a steamroll live? Or maybe distribution of players' WR currently online? It just feels that sometimes the proportion of inadequate players becomes a bit too large so maybe there is a way to avoid this? I'm living on the East coast and empirically I'd say 7-9am and 3-6pm are the worst periods but it would be nice to see some data. Thx.

[GGWP]
Members
7,087 posts
16,375 battles
10 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

Do you know if there is a tool/website that tracks the proportion of matches that end up as a steamroll live? Or maybe distribution of players' WR currently online? It just feels that sometimes the proportion of inadequate players becomes a bit too large so maybe there is a way to avoid this? I'm living on the East coast and empirically I'd say 7-9am and 3-6pm are the worst periods but it would be nice to see some data. Thx.

Only one that has those stats is WG and every once in a while they release the curve showing the distribution of length of game. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

The problem is, what constitutes a steamroll well enough that it can be noticed in stats?  Game length is about the only thing really, but I've seen games go the entire 20 minutes, that were really never in doubt at all about who was going to win.  Margin of victory in point smaybe.

I don't know that WG is going to be too anxious to give that data out.  Can be twisted around in a lot of ways and most of those ways aren't flattering to WGs stance that any more intricate matchmaking would be fruitless..

• Cool 1

[-1]
Members
746 posts
10,588 battles
1 minute ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

The problem is, what constitutes a steamroll well enough that it can be noticed in stats?  Game length is about the only thing really, but I've seen games go the entire 20 minutes, that were really never in doubt at all about who was going to win.  Margin of victory in point smaybe.

I don't know that WG is going to be too anxious to give that data out.  Can be twisted around in a lot of ways and most of those ways aren't flattering to WGs stance that any more intricate matchmaking would be fruitless..

My observation is that steamrolls are mostly triggered by certain players. So many times I've seen DD or BB just yoloing into the cap, get deleted and now red team has advantage and they just push; this flank collapses and they wrap around the remains of the team. In one game today our THREE DDs went to cap, got radared before reaching the cap, all three stopped and smoked up and got deleted--and since they smoked up we were unable to even support them because they blocked all line of sight by their smokes. And you can't recover flank after that, and it triggers steamroll, and it was tier 8 game. The game is interesting when you have players that don't do such [edited] all the time; I understand that not everyone is capable but maybe there should be certain time when incapable are sleeping or eating or whatever so the game could be fun? At least show some green light when competitive gameplay is more likely to happen.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
18,173 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

Steamroll wins are the worst.

"Old McDonald can not farm, P - R  - P - R booooo."

• Funny 2

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,572 battles
1 minute ago, BiggieD61 said:

"Old McDonald can not farm, P - R  - P - R booooo."

I feel so... understood!

[WORX]
Members
11,380 posts
19,183 battles
2 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

it was tier 8 game.

Well there is the problem... Power creep and the player base obsession with power creep products.

MM will not fix this... (Especially at high tiers, its not going to get fixed)

Even if you're behind 2 ships with 15 min left... Power creep can go both ways, but people just dont know how to harness the power... When this happens, the snowball effect is magnified... Leading to a humiliating lose..

The community has to choose, power creep products that stroke your ego... OR even and fair ships in where a 2 ship deficit is a non issue...

So far, I see us going down the power creep path... That is not the path for better game play...

[SALVO]
Members
5,220 posts
4,493 battles

Steamrolls are really not that difficult to happen, even with balanced teams. It can start pretty easily for example with a deployment mistake that puts the team in a seriuous disadvantage from the start. 

I don't know why all the fuzz, steamrolls are within normality.

Edited by ArIskandir

[KERMT]
Members
1,032 posts

In a steam roll there is usually two contributing factors, either all your Destroyers went to the front lines and got murdered or

ALL of your battleships were bad players and either sat still when they should have stayed in motion, hid behind and island while your support ships were singled out or the Battleship is sitting in the back because it thinks it is a sniper. 

The only way I know of countering steam rolls is to look at my previous battle, have a look at my team score, look at the ship classes that failed the hardest, then take one of those to counter the lack of skill.

I usually end up as a Destroyer or a Battleship. 

If I go Cruiser the Destroyers or BB's let the team down -_-

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Members
141 posts
2,418 battles
5 hours ago, dimzzy said:

My observation is that steamrolls are mostly triggered by certain players. So many times I've seen DD or BB just yoloing into the cap, get deleted and now red team has advantage and they just push; this flank collapses and they wrap around the remains of the team. In one game today our THREE DDs went to cap, got radared before reaching the cap, all three stopped and smoked up and got deleted--and since they smoked up we were unable to even support them because they blocked all line of sight by their smokes. And you can't recover flank after that, and it triggers steamroll, and it was tier 8 game. The game is interesting when you have players that don't do such [edited] all the time; I understand that not everyone is capable but maybe there should be certain time when incapable are sleeping or eating or whatever so the game could be fun? At least show some green light when competitive gameplay is more likely to happen.

This pretty much encapsulates the effect.

The BBs that start the push then turn around when the scary Smolensk starts a fire leaving the cruisers to be deleted while they heal behind an island for the next 5 minutes.

Members
1,660 posts
6 hours ago, dimzzy said:

But you still haven't defined what exactly constitutes a steam roll in all instances.  Without a very specific definition you cannot measure how often they happen or take a stab at predicitng when they will happen.

Is a steam roll a battle where one side loses all DDs before the other?  A battle that lasts less than 8 minutes?  A 3 to 1 ratio of losing ships?  Perhaps the team that doesn't contest caps in the first five minutes?

To me a steam roll is a battle that ends in less than five minutes.  Anything else is being out played for various and sundry reasons like RNGesus, salt, lack of any semblance of team work, etc.

Sign in to follow this